HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 175: Lets All Agree

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2012, 01:17 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

vCash: 500
after contemplating my last post, i made this:

Old
07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
JimEIV

That cup is suitable for drinking.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Is this a question or a statement?
What? I'm confused.

07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
What? I'm confused.
I get it (often) and I chuckled.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:00 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

Quote:
What? I'm confused.
Well, while youre confused, im gonna go get those 2 girls 1 cup that they asked nicely for.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:03 PM
JimEIV

A friend of mine who is on the USA Fly Fishing team (yes there is such a thing) recently returned from Slovenia from the World Championships and wrote this little piece....I found it interesting.

Quote:
Team USA recently returned home from the 32nd FIPS-Mouche World Fly Fishing Championships, held this year in Northern Slovenia. Our team results were not what we had in mind, but we are happy to be sending Norman Maktima to Norway next year as he placed an outstanding 6th in the competition. The final 5 anglers comprising the Team USA 2013 World Team will be selected upon the completion of the National Championships in Bend, OR this October. What a fantastic location for a very important event!

Since returning home, I have been asked an array of questions about our two weeks in Europe. “What was the fishing like?” “How was the food?” Which side of the road did you drive on?” Perhaps that last one should be phrased: “…are you supposed to drive on?” since my skills navigating narrow roads with a large manual-shift diesel van leave something to be desired. These are but a few of the many questions folks have for returning team members.

“Is there anything specific you were able to take away from the event?” is the one question I have received after each of the five overseas events I have participated in. My answer is always: “Don’t ever take for granted the amount of free access we have to our trout waters or the miniscule license fees we pay for the opportunity to fish those waters!” With the exception of Tasmania and New Zealand, access to the practice venues at the various overseas events has been both expensive and illogical. Virtually all water across Europe is owned by some entity. Anglers are responsible for locating who owns the water they wish to fish, what permits are required, and where to obtain those permits. One cannot assume you simply enter a fly shop to purchase a license that allows you to fish anywhere you want for an extended time. There may be licenses needed for the right to buy fishing permits as was the case in Italy and Slovakia. I’ve been part of “back door” meetings in order to purchase club permits for access to practice water-only because we were lucky enough to have a contact who knew where to buy the permits! How about chasing-tail types of adventures trying to locate the certain gas station that supposedly sells the daily permits for the section of river? None of this is without the handing over of serious currency for the right to fish for a day. As far as I can tell, the money goes to fish stocking at the expense of some fabulous native species that we would deem highly desirable.

Yes, there are many terrific reasons why I dedicate my lifestyle to staying part of Team USA and the privilege to travel abroad while representing the USA is high on that list. However, we can never lose sight of the fact that our culture is very different, and when it comes to how we view the use of our water and soil I am always glad to be home. Please, never forget what we have by way of wild trout and access to them. Do all you can to support those who strive to protect our resources and our public access.

It’s good to be home!

Loren Williams

Old
07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
A friend of mine who is on the USA Fly Fishing team (yes there is such a thing) recently returned from Slovenia from the World Championships and wrote this little piece....I found it interesting.
That's a very interesting read for such a short piece.

That sounds there should really be volumes written on this subject...

Old
07-30-2012, 02:25 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
This made me chuckle: http://jessicaredfield.wordpress.com/2011/08/

Old
07-30-2012, 02:32 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
That's a very interesting read for such a short piece.

That sounds there should really be volumes written on this subject...
Well, there has always been a philosophy here that has spawned out of an anti-monarchy philosophy that access to fish and game are for the people.

Fish and Game in Europe has been largely viewed as owned by the crown and controlled by the land barons who have the concessions.

Even here, in states like New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania some of the those Kings granted concessions laws still exist.

Navigable Waters laws in New York State are leftover rules from original concessions. But we have shunned the idea that people/individuals own the game or the water pretty thoroughly here.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Well, there has always been a philosophy here that has spawned out of an anti-monarchy philosophy that access to fish and game are for the people.

Fish and Game in Europe has been largely viewed as owned by the crown and controlled by the land barons who have the concessions.

Even here, in states like New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania some of the those Kings granted concessions laws still exist.

Navigable Waters laws in New York State are leftover rules from original concessions. But we have shunned the idea that people/individuals own the game or the water pretty thoroughly here.
Well there's also a lot more land here then there is in Western Europe. That thoroughly makes sense. I mean, Royals in the UK had to raise game on their own grounds to hunt while in America the game was plentiful over such a vast land.

I might look into this further sometime. It sounds very interesting to see how some long forgotten by the majority laws play such a large factor in shaping our country.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

there is a pair of pigeons making a nest on my parents roof. they don't know what to do about it. i suggested the blowgun, but i don't want to do it (even though I'm obviously the logical choice due to my mastery of the weapon) and my parents don't want to kill them either. Maybe i'll climb up to the roof and throw their nest off or something.. i dunno.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

vCash: 113
Ohio law for rivers and streams states you own from your property into 1/2 the width of the river, and thus if you are fishing a stretch bordered by two owned properties, you can be forced down river and not allowed to fish. That seems silly to me - the river is for everyone, how can you own the river if it doesn't run through your property exclusively?

I've only had one person ever try to shoo me off their stretch of the river though - so I guess that's a good thing.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Man Having your Wisdom Teeth taken out is a ***** . It doesnt hurt when it happens, but after its pretty annoying

Old
07-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law

vCash: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Man Having your Wisdom Teeth taken out is a ***** . It doesnt hurt when it happens, but after your its pretty annoying
this will apply to more and more things the older you get.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
this will apply to more and more things the older you get.
Great

Old
07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Henry Killinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
there is a pair of pigeons making a nest on my parents roof. they don't know what to do about it. i suggested the blowgun, but i don't want to do it (even though I'm obviously the logical choice due to my mastery of the weapon) and my parents don't want to kill them either. Maybe i'll climb up to the roof and throw their nest off or something.. i dunno.
You can buy those plastic owls at Home Depot and Lowes. Not sure how well they work. Another way is to spray pigeons with water from a garden hose. Pigeons won't appreciate the force or concentration of the water being targeted at them. You will need to spray them consistently, however, so that they get used to your building being the one to "stay away from"!

Old
07-30-2012, 03:16 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/w...182934423.html

sensible- get rid of stockpiling ammo online

edit- just read the end of the article, where obama mentions the right to bear arms. most ridiculous thing i've ever heard

Old
07-30-2012, 03:16 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Ohio law for rivers and streams states you own from your property into 1/2 the width of the river, and thus if you are fishing a stretch bordered by two owned properties, you can be forced down river and not allowed to fish. That seems silly to me - the river is for everyone, how can you own the river if it doesn't run through your property exclusively?

I've only had one person ever try to shoo me off their stretch of the river though - so I guess that's a good thing.
The further west you get the more convoluted the access rights get. In the East there has been a long standing tradition that the high water mark on either bank is public.
And much of that tradition comes directly from the kings concessions to promote exploration and commerce. Funny thing is, with "Manifest Destiny" and the move west the restrictions to access became more stringent. I'm not exactly sure why, but I believe a lot of it has to do with mineral right protection in the west.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:37 PM
JimEIV

But that is why Trout Unlimited is such a great organization and everyone should join...They don't complain about dirty rivers, they clean them. They don't cry about access, they buy/rent/negotiate easements. They don't talk in Utopian platitudes, they take actionable steps to improve the quality and environment for all cold water species with their own resources.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
But that is why Trout Unlimited is such a great organization and everyone should join...They don't complain about dirty rivers, they clean them. They don't cry about access, they buy/rent/negotiate easements. They don't talk in Utopian platitudes, they take actionable steps to improve the quality and environment for all cold water species with their own resources.
That is a Utopian ideal - whether they wax poetic about it or not - and that's awesome.

Old
07-30-2012, 03:48 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

24 work days to go.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:07 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
That is a Utopian ideal - whether they wax poetic about it or not - and that's awesome.
I'm always enamored with doers. Even if they are doing something I don't agree with, I have the utmost respect for people that take action.

To me, protest is the avenue of the weak. Words, gatherings or even money alone do not fix problems. Getting off of your ass and picking up a piece of garbage in your local park is a bigger step toward fixing your environment than some cockamamie "Earth Day" event or a march on Washington....but that's just me.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
I'm always enamored with doers. Even if they are doing something I don't agree with, I have the utmost respect for people that take action.

To me, protest is the avenue of the weak. Words, gatherings or even money alone do not fix problems. Getting off of your ass and picking up a piece of garbage in your local park is a bigger step toward fixing your environment than some cockamamie "Earth Day" event or a march on Washington....but that's just me.
I think there's a place for protesters and dissenters of various kinds but I'm starting to agree with this point of view very strongly.

Coincidentally I signed up a few days ago to be a volunteer with Hockey In Newark. We'll see how that goes and if it works out for me at all.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:16 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
I think there's a place for protesters and dissenters of various kinds but I'm starting to agree with this point of view very strongly.

Coincidentally I signed up a few days ago to be a volunteer with Hockey In Newark. We'll see how that goes and if it works out for me at all.
That is great! Anytime you can impact a young persons life in a positive way, I am positive you get a token to Nirvana.

I know for me, without some coaches I've had in high-school, there is no question I would have been in a lot more trouble than I was back then.

Old
07-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
So... Just going to through this out there.

I got engaged this weekend!

I was under a strict media ban until all the families knew. So now I can start talking about it. So, how was everyone else's weekend? Haha
Congratulations, CB!

Quote:
"That no secretly always means yes. Wait, that can't be right."
No means yes, and yes means butt stuff.

Closed Thread