Notices

Mark Flood to KHL

Old
07-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

vCash: 500
I wish him luck.

I mean, what are the odds of another accident happening to Lokomotiv? Pretty minimal, right?

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:00 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Surprising move, but I guess he didn't want to continue being a career AHLer. To his credit, he didn't look that bad in his short NHL stint.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Inflict
Viking

I don't agree with all of the comments saying Flood is not an NHL player. He is a solid bottom pairing/7th defenceman. I think when he stepped in for the Jets, he was one of our more consistent defenders. Solid, but not spectacular in any area, he never made the risky play but was pretty good with his defensive assignments. Also consider that he was never placed on waivers when he was recalled for fear that he would be claimed by another team.

Good luck to him though. He will be missed but is replaceable.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
I don't agree with all of the comments saying Flood is not an NHL player. He is a solid bottom pairing/7th defenceman. I think when he stepped in for the Jets, he was one of our more consistent defenders. Solid, but not spectacular in any area, he never made the risky play but was pretty good with his defensive assignments. Also consider that he was never placed on waivers when he was recalled for fear that he would be claimed by another team.

Good luck to him though. He will be missed but is replaceable.
The didn't want to risk him to waivers, but they did not offer him a deal to stay in the NHL? Something doesn't make sense there.

Flood often made the wrong decision with his first pass, consistently blew assignments in his own end, made some nice passes, but not enough offensive upside to justify his defensive lapses. Rather have Postma is that type of role, since he has alot more upside and size.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
The didn't want to risk him to waivers, but they did not offer him a deal to stay in the NHL? Something doesn't make sense there.
Flood is easily replaceable. If TN didn't sign him to the deal they wanted, they would look elsewhere.

Quote:
Flood often made the wrong decision with his first pass, consistently blew assignments in his own end, made some nice passes, but not enough offensive upside to justify his defensive lapses.
Would you say that he had more turnovers on average then say... Buff, Bogo, Stuart, Jones or Oduya? You could make an argument based on his last few games, but he was solid up until that point. FYI Flood had 8 turnovers in 33 games according to NHL.com

Quote:
Rather have Postma is that type of role, since he has alot more upside and size.
Completely agree, though I want to see Postma crack the top six and not play a fringe role.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Flood is easily replaceable. If TN didn't sign him to the deal they wanted, they would look elsewhere.
Yet they jealously hoarded him away from waivers last year? If he was so replacable why did they do that? Answer, they didn't. He was the reserve guy, the #8, not a real NHL defenseman, but they wanted depth at the defense position sitting around in WPG.

Quote:
Would you say that he had more turnovers on average then say... Buff, Bogo, Stuart, Jones or Oduya? You could make an argument based on his last few games, but he was solid up until that point. FYI Flood had 8 turnovers in 33 games according to NHL.com
All those players except Jones handled the puck ALOT more than Flood. And Jones plain sucks. God, that Flood - Jones pairing I saw at times was simply painful to watch.

And NHL.com turnovers means little, turnover stats are notorious awful. Flood had some moments where he made brilliant passes...but too many stray passes, too many blown assignments and not all that much offensive upside at the NHL level to compensate.

Quote:
Completely agree, though I want to see Postma crack the top six and not play a fringe role.
Agreed. But I have little faith in Noel as a coach, he would play familiar yet much less talented Flood if we had re-signed him over Postma, IMO. Stuart - Postma should be our 3rd pairing, with Clitsome as the extra, since we have let all others that might have had a chance at the roster go to KHL (Kulda, Flood).

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:51 AM
hockeyarena

vCash: 1503
Was really impressed with Flood last year. Thought he was a lot safer defensively than most of our big names for most of the season. Best of luck to him.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:10 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Nothing against Flood, hope he does well, but I'm happy we'll get to see some more from Postma!

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:20 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Good. Flood was nothing more than an injury emergency sub in, not sure what was seen in him that had him on the roster all year. Best of the luck in the KHL, but he had no business being in Winnipeg.
This reads more like bias than a fair assessment of his play. I disagree.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ ︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
Flood filled in at different points last season and did well on some nights and not so well on others, all in all, not your everyday NHL'er.

He filled his role last season (like Stapleton did, albeit not as efficient as Stapes) but it's time to move a young player into that role. Best of luck to Flood in the KHL.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yet they jealously hoarded him away from waivers last year? If he was so replacable why did they do that? Answer, they didn't. He was the reserve guy, the #8, not a real NHL defenseman, but they wanted depth at the defense position sitting around in WPG.

All those players except Jones handled the puck ALOT more than Flood. And Jones plain sucks. God, that Flood - Jones pairing I saw at times was simply painful to watch.

And NHL.com turnovers means little, turnover stats are notorious awful. Flood had some moments where he made brilliant passes...but too many stray passes, too many blown assignments and not all that much offensive upside at the NHL level to compensate.

Agreed. But I have little faith in Noel as a coach, he would play familiar yet much less talented Flood if we had re-signed him over Postma, IMO. Stuart - Postma should be our 3rd pairing, with Clitsome as the extra, since we have let all others that might have had a chance at the roster go to KHL (Kulda, Flood).
I agree with your opinions of Flood and the defence situation but not of Noel. TN seemed very high up on Postma last season and stated they wanted him in if they weren't both (Jets and IceCaps) looking at playoffs that year. I think he would of won over Jones and Flood.
I agree next year:
Enström-Byfuglien
Hainsey-Bogosian
Stuart-Postma
7th: Clitsome
Callups: Meech>Redmond

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote