HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Berube is fired ....

Old
04-27-2014, 05:31 PM
briererocks

vCash: 500
If Berube is fired ....

I think Berube deserves to be fired for playing Emery in Game 3, Gill in Game 5, and not giving more ice time to Voracek and Giroux.

If he is fired, I would go after Trotz or Hitchcock (if he fired). With Trotz we would finally have a coach who can implement a defensive system and he has never had offensive players so it is hard to be too critical of the lack of offensive production his team had had. Hitchcock is a great coach.

briererocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:32 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
Gotta get Briere back too!

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Curufinwe

I'd go with Trotz ahead of Hitch.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Berube's leash is longer then Lavys was. for reasons that are obvious.
He isn't getting fired

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:37 PM
briererocks

Another reason Berube deserves to be fired is not bringing up Akeson earlier. He continued to play McGinn long after it became obvious he is not even a good fourth line player. He never gave Akeson a chance.

If the Flyers had not clinched the playoffs in game 81 and had the last game not been completely meaningless, Berube would never have allowed Akeson on the ice. He is obsessed with large or physical players, like Rinaldo or Gill or Grossman, even when it is apparent that they suck.

Old
04-27-2014, 05:39 PM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by briererocks View Post
I think Berube deserves to be fired for playing Emery in Game 3, Gill in Game 5, and not giving more ice time to Voracek and Giroux.

If he is fired, I would go after Trotz or Hitchcock (if he fired). With Trotz we would finally have a coach who can implement a defensive system and he has never had offensive players so it is hard to be too critical of the lack of offensive production his team had had. Hitchcock is a great coach.
That's what Berube has done. Im not advocating keeping him (which they will) but that's what he is, a defense first coach.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Another reason Berube deserves to be fired is not bringing up Akeson earlier. He continued to play McGinn long after it became obvious he is not even a good fourth line player. He never gave Akeson a chance.

If the Flyers had not clinched the playoffs in game 81 and had the last game not been completely meaningless, Berube would never have allowed Akeson on the ice. He is obsessed with large or physical players, like Rinaldo or Gill or Grossman, even when it is apparent that they suck.
That's mainly on Holmgren IMO.

Old
04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
briererocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Berube's leash is longer then Lavys was. for reasons that are obvious.
He isn't getting fired
He does not deserve to be back. You have to be exceptionally stupid to play Emery in game 3 over Mason. Similarly, in Game 5, to play Gill over Gustafasson was egregious. Further, in game 5, he should have at least dressed 7 defenseman and sat Rinaldo in case Gill struggled. I am sure the only reason Akeson was not called up earlier is Berube had not faith in his defensive game. He is horrible at evaluating his personnel.

In game 1 of the series, our worst defenseman, Grossman, had the second most ice time on the team. Voracek did not get alot of ice time in game 1 because he was scared of playing him against McD who plays nearly half the game.

Berube is an assistant coach, but definitely not a head coach. He makes too many dumb decisions.

Old
04-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Mota

Berube took a train wreck of a team and got them into the playoffs. I have not agreed with all of his decisions either but c'mon...he is not going to axed for getting his team farther than most people thought they were going to go...and this season is not even over yet.

He will (and should) at least get a full season (with an actual training camp) under his belt before firing him can even be a discussion.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:45 PM
SuchySays

okay. what happens if Akeson was recalled a month earlier?

what happens?

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Curufinwe

I think maybe he should be coaching the Phantoms and working the kinks out there.

Old
04-27-2014, 05:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
That's a Holmgren thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think maybe he should be coaching the Phantoms and working the kinks out there.
No thanks, the Phantoms were a raging dumpster fire under his watch.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:49 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I'd go with Trotz ahead of Hitch.
This

But with all that said I don't think Chief is going anywhere.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Curufinwe

And what are they now? I'm annoyed with Gill and Rinaldo playing as much as anyone but Berube has done alright overall this year and must be a better coach now than when he was in the AHL.

Snider is not going to just can him so moving him to Allentown is the only way I see the Flyers getting a new head coach.

Old
04-27-2014, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Berube took a train wreck of a team and got them into the playoffs. I have not agreed with all of his decisions either but c'mon...he is not going to axed for getting his team farther than most people thought they were going to go...and this season is not even over yet.

He will (and should) at least get a full season (with an actual training camp) under his belt before firing him can even be a discussion.
Craig Berube did not get the Flyers into the playoffs. The Flyers got themselves into the playoffs because their percentages rebounded, really beyond the point of their mean to which it's coming back. People just think Berube did things, when they were going to happen anyways. Much in the way Ken Hitchcock got all the credit for the Blues in 2012 when he really didn't do anything.

Old
04-27-2014, 05:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
He does not deserve to be back. You have to be exceptionally stupid to play Emery in game 3 over Mason. Similarly, in Game 5, to play Gill over Gustafasson was egregious. Further, in game 5, he should have at least dressed 7 defenseman and sat Rinaldo in case Gill struggled. I am sure the only reason Akeson was not called up earlier is Berube had not faith in his defensive game. He is horrible at evaluating his personnel.

In game 1 of the series, our worst defenseman, Grossman, had the second most ice time on the team. Voracek did not get alot of ice time in game 1 because he was scared of playing him against McD who plays nearly half the game.

Berube is an assistant coach, but definitely not a head coach. He makes too many dumb decisions.
he is a member of the "Flyer family" he will never be fired. That's how Snider rolls.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:52 PM
DeflatedFootball7

I'd give Chief one more year.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:54 PM
briererocks

Quote:
That's mainly on Holmgren IMO.
I don't agree. I think Berube has a alot of say in who gets called up and I don't Berube trusted Akeson based on his horrible defensive performance in the preseason. Terry Murray has been saying for a half season that he thinks Akeson is an NHL player. I think Holmgren deferred to his coach and kept calling up McGinn rather than Akeson.

Old
04-27-2014, 05:56 PM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:
I don't agree. I think Berube has a alot of say in who gets called up and I don't Berube trusted Akeson based on his horrible defensive performance in the preseason. Terry Murray has been saying for a half season that he thinks Akeson is an NHL player. I think Holmgren deferred to his coach and kept calling up McGinn rather than Akeson.
McGinn was getting callups over Akeson even when Lavi was here so I'd say it's pretty evident that's more of a Holmgren decision

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 05:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
That's still a Holmgren thing. Holmgren decides who comes and goes. Regardless, if Berube didn't trust Akeson, he wouldn't have stuck with him after playing 1 NHL game this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
McGinn was getting callups over Akeson even when Lavi was here so I'd say it's pretty evident that's more of a Holmgren decision
McGinn was playing well last year when he got called up. He deserved opportunities. Remember, he was the first person on the team to 3 goals this season.

Old
04-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Craig Berube did not get the Flyers into the playoffs. The Flyers got themselves into the playoffs because their percentages rebounded, really beyond the point of their mean to which it's coming back. People just think Berube did things, when they were going to happen anyways. Much in the way Ken Hitchcock got all the credit for the Blues in 2012 when he really didn't do anything.
Berube changed how they played to a system more suited to the personnel. You pretend he had nothing to do with it and they would have made the playoffs under Laviolette just like you pretend it doesn't matter who starts in goal because Mason is only marginally better than Emery.

Old
04-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

What?

First, Berube didn't get them into the playoffs, the players got themselves in by getting back to normal instead of super underachiever mode which was obviously never going to last.

Second, his stupidity has nothing to do with not having a full season and training camp. Neither of those two things have anything to do with idiotic lineup decisions, icetime decisions, or any of the other things he's doing wrong.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Berube still deserves credit. He got the guys in shape and playing a better all around system...which all contributed to guys starting to produce like normal again. Even if he has had his blunders...making it to game 6 of the first round (or further) is exceeding expectations. They are not going to fire him because he started Hal Gill in game 5.

Chip Kelly got exposed in his first playoff game too...rookie coaches are going to get a little more time to prove themselves.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Berube's not getting fired. If they get bounced outta the first round I wouldn't be surprised if he had a short leash (a year or 2 AT LEAST?). Ever since the Cup Run, the Flyers have been pretenders since then. I don't think its just the coach though, there are personnel issues as well.

2011: Bounced 2nd round
2012: Bounced 2nd round
2013: No Playoffs
2014: Potential bounced 1st round

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 06:10 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I don't necessarily think Berube's the answer but firing two coaches not even in a full calendar year would be pretty crazy.

He's been pretty bad this series but I still think he should get another year to prove himself otherwise.

Of course that could all change if a new GM comes in this summer then nobody's job is safe including the players.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote