HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Videogame Thread #3 (PSN/Gamertags/Steam): NHL 14 Trailer Released Today

Old
06-12-2013, 04:42 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
Wrong, the Kinect can detect when blocked off. Not only that but it is always listening when plugged in, can detect your heartrate, can detect your emotions, and has the ability to detect how many people are in a room. Judging from all this and the patent that MS filed to ask you to buy more licenses if too many people are watching a movie AND the fact that it needs to be connected to even use the console at all, it is quite clear the Kinect must be able to see you while using the console.
I haven't heard this. If it's true, it's a shame. Do I care if MS is "watching" me? Hell freaking no. Go ahead and watch me "pull my goalie," I'm flattered.

Quote:
This isn't about anyone being a "hater", this is about the Xbox One assuming you are a pirating criminal from the start and treating you like garbage out of the box.
Where are you getting this pirating criminal nonsense from? Not once did I get the impression that a console assumed that I was a pirating criminal. Who pirates with consoles?! The last console I hacked was Dreamcast, and Playstation before that. I have no need to hack consoles, that's what my PC and Android devices are for. I buy consoles for the very reason of legitimacy. It's nice when things just work perfectly.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
I haven't heard this. If it's true, it's a shame. Do I care if MS is "watching" me? Hell freaking no. Go ahead and watch me "pull my goalie," I'm flattered.

Where are you getting this pirating criminal nonsense from? Not once did I get the impression that a console assumed that I was a pirating criminal. Who pirates with consoles?! The last console I hacked was Dreamcast, and Playstation before that. I have no need to hack consoles, that's what my PC and Android devices are for. I buy consoles for the very reason of legitimacy. It's nice when things just work perfectly.
There's a ton of people that have modded xboxes and Wiis for different things.

I have.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:54 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Where are you getting this pirating criminal nonsense from? Not once did I get the impression that a console assumed that I was a pirating criminal.
You tell me what all these features are for then. Why all these restrictions?

Quote:
Who pirates with consoles?!
A lot of people. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean no one does.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:58 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I don't understand what xbox is doing. How did this all get approved and passed on as something good for them. They are advertising all this stuff like people want it and yet with the exception of galvo and his irrational hate towards Playstation most people seem to view a lot of the new "features" on xbox as a negative, as well they should. Anything that puts restrictions or comes with baggage after buying it should be scrutinized and Microsoft does not have the right answers or at least the answers people want to hear to address their concerns. They seemingly think people are just going to buy it because of the name and they are untouchable, but gamers have shown in the past that they are willing to boycott a product if it is sub-standard, (see Saturn). When it comes to the Privacy issue there are a lot of people out there that simply don't want something impeding on their privacy, they have a very Big Brother attitude towards anything that can be used to track them or better yet monitor exactly what they are doing.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there New Jersey. First off, I don't hate Sony or Playstation. I've already mentioned countless times that I own nearly every major console and handheld, going back to Nintendo. I earlier admitted to being a Sony fanboy in my teenage years. I have owned or still own the PSX, PS2, PS3 and PSP. I must admit, I do not have the Vita.

Secondly, get approved? That's the most laughable comment I've ever read. Where have you been all of your life? Companies/governments pull off the shadiest of shady deals in order to profit. I'm not saying I find Microsoft's new approach intrusive or worrying, because I really don't feel that way, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is to ask who "approved" their actions when everyone, including your loyal government, conducts questionable or even illegal activities.

Quote:
If I had a kid somewhere between 8-12 years old they wouldn't be online on xbox live with the amount of language and abuse that is on that, and we're not talking Call of Duty or Halo, I mean sports titles, anything, and people go nuts. I mean there are adults who do the same thing just stay away from online and such as well, but the point is there. So why should I have to PAY for xbox live after I have already bought the console simply to play games OFFLINE.
1. Parental Controls, Jack. Learn em, use em.
2. You don't need Xbox Live Gold to play local single player games. Xbox Live Silver is free.

Quote:
It all seems like very poor planning and poor evaluation of how their "feature's" would be received.
Tell that to the sales numbers during Q4 2013 and Q1 2014.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:05 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
You tell me what all these features are for then. Why all these restrictions?
It seems like Microsoft has chosen to move towards an all in one media hub rather than a pure gaming system. If that's the case, a constant internet connection is pretty much required. A media hub must be connected to a network in order to be used properly, otherwise it's not a media hub. I said this earlier - think about how absolutely useless your smartphone, tablet or PC would be without an internet connection. Please, disable all network connections on your devices that are typically connected to the internet and get back to me with your impressions. That was a joke, please don't do that.

Quote:
A lot of people. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean no one does.
See reply to Krishna's comment. Did you even read my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
There's a ton of people that have modded xboxes and Wiis for different things.

I have.
So have I. My point is, Microsoft doesn't worry as much about hacked Xbox's as much as PC pirates. Hacked 360's were patched several times, rather easily, by Microsoft. Like I said, I enjoy the legitimacy of console gaming, otherwise I'd continue gaming on my PC.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Krishna

Quote:
It seems like Microsoft has chosen to move towards an all in one media hub rather than a pure gaming system. If that's the case, a constant internet connection is pretty much required. A media hub must be connected to a network in order to be used properly, otherwise it's not a media hub. I said this earlier - think about how absolutely useless your smartphone, tablet or PC would be without an internet connection. Please, disable all network connections on your devices that are typically connected to the internet and get back to me with your impressions. That was a joke, please don't do that.

See reply to Krishna's comment. Did you even read my post?

So have I. My point is, Microsoft doesn't worry as much about hacked Xbox's as much as PC pirates. Hacked 360's were patched several times, rather easily, by Microsoft. Like I said, I enjoy the legitimacy of console gaming, otherwise I'd continue gaming on my PC.
Microsoft fixes it and it's rehacked again within 2 days.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:12 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there New Jersey. First off, I don't hate Sony or Playstation. I've already mentioned countless times that I own nearly every major console and handheld, going back to Nintendo. I earlier admitted to being a Sony fanboy in my teenage years. I have owned or still own the PSX, PS2, PS3 and PSP. I must admit, I do not have the Vita.

Secondly, get approved?
That's the most laughable comment I've ever read. Where have you been all of your life? Companies/governments pull off the shadiest of shady deals in order to profit. I'm not saying I find Microsoft's new approach intrusive or worrying, because I really don't feel that way, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is to ask who "approved" their actions when everyone, including your loyal government, conducts questionable or even illegal activities.

1. Parental Controls, Jack. Learn em, use em.
2. You don't need Xbox Live Gold to play local single player games. Xbox Live Silver is free.

Tell that to the sales numbers during Q4 2013 and Q1 2014.
Yes get approved; I don't know why that is hilarious. Someone at Microsoft came up with all these ideas, and then someone higher up from them said "yep I see nothing wrong here that sounds awesome". Most people value their privacy. The rest of that part of your statement is worrisome, and a whole different argument entirely that I'd rather not get into however as a quick aside; Do you really feel that when a government specifically your government engages in illegal or questionable activities or practices no one should ask questions about it?

You are correct on the Gold/Silver, I completely forgot about it to be honest.

I think Microsoft and yourself will be plenty surprised when the sales reports come out in Q1 of 2014 if Microsoft doesn't back off of the DRM stuff.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:14 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Yea, most of the people i know have hacked boxes, you just avoid the update entirely or your gamertag gets banned and then you just make a new one and hack it again its not even 2 days more like a couple hours.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:02 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/p...one/disclaimer

and alledgedly

The Xbox Ones at E3 could possibly be laptops.

Makes sense considering the Windows sound that occurred during the Dead Rising 3 reveal.
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...1dmB2gc#t=194s

Last edited by RevUpThoseGolfCarts: 06-12-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
That's ****ing awful.

06-13-2013, 07:08 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

An Xbox and a PC are nearly identical. Why is this surprising? That's one of the main reasons why 3rd party dev's prefer developing for the Xbox.

Games are built on PC and ported to Xbox and PS3. A PC -> Xbox port is fluid, PC -> PS3 is difficult. It has gotten better over the years, but some of the 3rd party games in the past were laughable on PS3. Checkout www.lensoftruth.com for details.

Quote:
Yea, most of the people i know have hacked boxes, you just avoid the update entirely or your gamertag gets banned and then you just make a new one and hack it again its not even 2 days more like a couple hours.
And all of your achievements and game saves are now gone. Not fun. If I didn't care about achievements and legitimacy, I'd only game on PC.

Quote:
An exploit is probably found sooner than two days. Regardless, I'd be worried about the gamertag banning moreso than the console. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if they could block your console from Xbox Live via MAC address or some other GUID.

Last edited by ihatebraydenschenn: 06-13-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old
06-13-2013, 02:13 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
An Xbox and a PC are nearly identical. Why is this surprising? That's one of the main reasons why 3rd party dev's prefer developing for the Xbox.

Games are built on PC and ported to Xbox and PS3. A PC -> Xbox port is fluid, PC -> PS3 is difficult. It has gotten better over the years, but some of the 3rd party games in the past were laughable on PS3. Checkout www.lensoftruth.com for details.
Sony chose to cater to the gamers and developers directly for the PS4. They should see a boost in 3rd party gameplay. In fact, they showed off a handful at E3.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:17 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Games are built on PC and ported to Xbox and PS3. A PC -> Xbox port is fluid, PC -> PS3 is difficult.
First of all, not all games are built on PC, and not all console games are ports of a unreleased PC version. If that were true then every game would have a PC version just sitting around not earning the developers any money.

Second, PS3 was difficult to develop for because of its hardware, not because it wasn't similar to a PC. A console can have no similarity to a PC and still be easy to make games for if the hardware isn't some weird technology. The Cell processor thing was very advanced, but as a result most developers had no idea how to work with it.

The main point of the PS4 is to make it more friendly for people to develop games on, like how the PS1 and PS2 were.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Hard to confirm story but I worked for a place that did this (major company, not some rinky dink company), so it certainly is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Quote:
Representatives of Microsoft may be hanging out on the social news site voting up positive comments about the Xbox One, voting down negative comments and adding pro-Xbox comments of their own, Misty Silver says.
http://au.businessinsider.com/micros...omments-2013-6

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:41 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
First of all, not all games are built on PC, and not all console games are ports of a unreleased PC version. If that were true then every game would have a PC version just sitting around not earning the developers any money.

Second, PS3 was difficult to develop for because of its hardware, not because it wasn't similar to a PC. A console can have no similarity to a PC and still be easy to make games for if the hardware isn't some weird technology. The Cell processor thing was very advanced, but as a result most developers had no idea how to work with it.

The main point of the PS4 is to make it more friendly for people to develop games on, like how the PS1 and PS2 were.
When did I say "all games"? I didn't.. Obviously, exclusive games are built from the ground up on PS3. So your first argument is kind of pointless.

Secondly, I know. I've mentioned earlier in the thread that the PS3's architecture is what bothered developers. This is the main reason why I wasn't excited for the "hoss boss" cell processor. You said the PS3 was difficult to develop games for because of the hardware, but NOT because of it's differences with PCs. What do you think the difference is? The hardware!

If the PS4 turns out that way, I will be as happy as I was with Sony as I was years back, before the PS3 was released. Seriously, I loved my PSX and PS2.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:06 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
When did I say "all games"? I didn't.. Obviously, exclusive games are built from the ground up on PS3. So your first argument is kind of pointless.
You didn't say "all games", you implied you meant all games though by saying "[g]ames are built on PC and ported to Xbox and PS3". Maybe you should reread your own post.

Quote:
Secondly, I know. I've mentioned earlier in the thread that the PS3's architecture is what bothered developers. This is the main reason why I wasn't excited for the "hoss boss" cell processor. You said the PS3 was difficult to develop games for because of the hardware, but NOT because of it's differences with PCs. What do you think the difference is? The hardware!
You said that third-party devs preferred the 360 more because it was more similar to PC than the PS3. I was just pointing out that that was a wrong statement. Being similar to a PC means nothing. That's like saying developers hated the Gameboy because it wasn't built like a PC.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hard to confirm story but I worked for a place that did this (major company, not some rinky dink company), so it certainly is not out of the realm of possibilities.

http://au.businessinsider.com/micros...omments-2013-6
This shouldn't surprise anyone, lots of companies do this.

Anywhos, I'm an MS fanboy because the Zune is the pinnacle of human achievement; it will be revered centuries from now as a Wonder of the World criminally misunderstood in its own time, and our entire generation will be mocked as semi-sentient morons for failing to embrace its sublime excellence while continuing to use iPods and flogging our own brains trying to wrestle with that execrable ****pile called "iTunes."

But, MS has completely and totally ****ed up everything about this. They might outdo Sega and the Dreamcast for thoroughly botching what could have been a great system before all is said and done.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Really good read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...e-microsoft-e3

GREAT breakdown comparing the two strategies.

Part of it.

Quote:
And of course, what has really exposed the difficulty of the Xbox One strategy is the seemingly opposite approach of PlayStation 4. As Lovell explains, "Microsoft is betting on doing things that make large content makers happy – DRM always on, spending money on NFL and Spielberg etc – in the hope that if there is great content, users will come. Sony is not bending over to make large companies happy, focusing instead on making users and retailers happy, betting that if they have the users, the content will come.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:31 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

In non-console wars news.

MGS5 looks amazing, and in the Gametrailers interview Kojima said that they were considering releasing MGS5 on PC (though he also said they were more concerned with the console versions at this point). At the end it was also teased that he is planning yet another ruse.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

MGS villains get goofier and goofier with every new game. The boobs on the one chick are LOLworthy and I'm pretty sure another one is a skinny child.

I'm still gonna play it.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Krishna

So me and my brother both preordered a launch ps4

Cant wait.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:53 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm not really an avid gamer (I sometimes go months without touching my Xbox) but I think I'm going to make the switch back to PlayStation this time around. I only play a handful games are year (mostly sports and popular shoot em up games) so the exclusives thing really doesn't bother me much.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:49 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Anywhos, I'm an MS fanboy because the Zune is the pinnacle of human achievement;

But, MS has completely and totally ****ed up everything about this. They might outdo Sega and the Dreamcast for thoroughly botching what could have been a great system before all is said and done.
The Zune was pretty amazing. I opted to get the Dell Jukebox, years before the Zune came out, otherwise I'd have a Zune or Zune HD. There's nothing like good ol' drag-n-drop.

The Sega Dreamcast is one of my favorite consoles of all time. I still have mine.

Quote:
You didn't say "all games", you implied you meant all games though by saying "[g]ames are built on PC and ported to Xbox and PS3". Maybe you should reread your own post.
Correct, I didn't say "all games," but you decided to assume anyway. I didn't imply anything, except for that Xbox games are a billion times easier to for porting compared to PS3. This is a known fact. 2+2=4, not 5.

Quote:
You said that third-party devs preferred the 360 more because it was more similar to PC than the PS3. I was just pointing out that that was a wrong statement. Being similar to a PC means nothing. That's like saying developers hated the Gameboy because it wasn't built like a PC.
Take a look around the internet and you may be surprised to find that developers prefer developing for 360 than PS3. I'd pull some articles for you, but my office blocks any websites that have to do with gaming

Quote:
So me and my brother both preordered a launch ps4

Cant wait.
What is the release date? I preordered one but the release date says December 31st.. I thought it was launching prior to the holiday season.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Really good read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...e-microsoft-e3

GREAT breakdown comparing the two strategies.

Part of it.
I saw pretty accurate picture on ****** the other day that I can't find right now. It was essentially Sony's logo, Nintendo's logo, and Microsoft's logo. It then said that Sony is an electronics company, Nintendo is a toy company, and Microsoft is a software company. Explains pretty well what each company is doing with their latest consoles. Not saying that any of the companies are doing something wrong, only that when you look at what the companies actually are, it makes sense that Sony's system is the way it is, Nintendo's is the way it is, and Microsoft's is the way it is.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:24 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Here's a pretty amazing post that helps clear up some of the concerns people had about the Xbox One - http://www.***********/r/xboxone/comm..._games_kinect/

Some key points:

Quote:
One of the X1's main feature is the ability to install the disc directly to the hard drive and play it without a disk. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a feature many asked for when the feature was added to 360, but it was only to allow the game to run better.

Contrary to popular believe, the used game does exist in the X1.

"Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games."

What can we take away from this? Easy. If you bought a disc based game, you can sell and trade it to any participating retailer. It means that game publishers will work out deals with retailers in order for the developers and publishers to take a cut of used games sales. Microsoft will not receive any money from these transactions. If you bought a digital copy, just like any digital copy, you will not be able to do this.

As we saw above, you will be able install your games to your hard-drive and have your entire library available to play without putting the disc in the disc tray.

This is why the 24-hour check is required. Without this, many copies of the same game could be installed into multiple X1's and it would be absolutely crumble game sales.

The drawback to this is not being able to game offline. Microsoft has said that the final decisions to this issue have not been final. I believe if they allow you to play offline with the disc in the disc tray, this would become a non-issue.

This is one of the biggest things people have been complaining about. Microsoft has already addressed the issue, but of course it fell on deaf ears. People already had their pitch forks out and had Sony on a pedestal by this point.

"You are in control of when Kinect sensing is On, Off or Paused: If you don’t want the Kinect sensor on while playing games or enjoying your entertainment, you can pause Kinect. To turn off your Xbox One, just say “Xbox Off.” When the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command -- “Xbox On,” and you can even turn that feature off too. Some apps and games may require Kinect functionality to operate, so you’ll need to turn it back on for these experiences."

As I've stated before, you will have the control to everything that the Kinect has to offer. If you don't want it to hear you? You can do that. If you don't want it to see you, you can do that. Don't want it to listen for the "Xbox On" while it's off, you can also do that.

Now onto the other things. As some of us know, you will be able to have a "circle" of friends, 10 people to be exact, that will be able to access your game library from anywhere (in the same region, I'm assuming..still not clear about this) at anytime (as long as you or someone else in your circle isn't playing it). This is of course how things work now, two of your friends can't play the game at the same time from one disc on two separate consoles.

This is a feature that is absolutely wonderful, but the people raging about it had not heard about it before.

"Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

Important Update: New information has risen relating to this feature. You +1 friend from your circle can play the same game at the same time. Others can still play from your other library selection.
This whole Circle of Games thing sounds pretty friggin awesome.

Digital distribution has the potential to drive prices down and offer sweet deals/sales similar to Steam.

EDIT: Also, just heard that Xbox Live Gold members will be getting free games, similar to the PSN+ deal. Apparently July's games are Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed.

Last edited by ihatebraydenschenn: 06-14-2013 at 07:47 AM.