HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Should The Nuck Offer Evander Kane A Contract?

Old
07-23-2012, 12:05 AM
vector209

vCash: 500
Right, because that's the type of salary you'd need to offer to make Winnipeg reconsider matching.

vector209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Shareefruck

But front-loading would be something like ten million for the first two-three years then low enough after than to bring the cap down to about 4-5 mil.

But it's not like Winnipeg is that strapped for cash anyways, right?

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:10 AM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector209 View Post
Right, because that's the type of salary you'd need to offer to make Winnipeg reconsider matching.
If the nucks want him (and Kane wants out of the peg), than you can go the flyers route. Offer trades, see if anything sticks, if not, offer sheet him. If the jets know Kane doesnt want to stick around, would you rather take the draft picks/trade assets, or risk getting stuck with him on a long term contract.
I would offer him a 6 year, 33 mil contract. There is nothing to lose even if the jets match for us.

MajorCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:30 AM
DoubleTrouble

NM.....

DoubleTrouble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanon View Post
Guy's an *******. No thanks.
He's an ******* that is exactly the type of player we need in the top 6. Couldnt care less about the personality of a player as long as they perform on the ice.

Derp Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Winnipeg won't risk losing an asset for nothing. They've got a strong ownership backing them and have great attendance in their first season.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Fedz

Wasn't someone in Winnipeg's organization quoted as saying how instrumental the Canucks were in helping them not only get into the league but how to structure their organization?

Remember we dealt with these people when they were with the Moose, no? Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think there is anyway Gillis and co. offer sheet Kane. Though, I would love to see them try and trade for Kane, I think we have the assets to make it work.

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:56 AM
denkiteki

Jets have money so even a front loaded/bonus loaded contract won't matter. Better to go after Voracek if MG does any OS. With Voracek, at least its hard to match due to the cap situation if NSH declines to match Weber (unlikely but who knows).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:35 AM
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Jets have money so even a front loaded/bonus loaded contract won't matter. Better to go after Voracek if MG does any OS. With Voracek, at least its hard to match due to the cap situation if NSH declines to match Weber (unlikely but who knows).
The reason I feel Kane is a player to target is cause the management have already said they do not want to operate close to the cap and because they are a small market team they can't afford to do so.

If they decide to match it then they will have to shed other contracts to get back into the black.

Yes their owner has deep pocket but he has shown since he bought the team that he is not prepared to burn money

Old
07-23-2012, 02:48 AM
BrandonL

Yep, I would definitely consider offering something in the 6-6.5 range.

A young emerging power forward with his goal scoring ability is extremely rare. The Canucks would have to overpay to get him, but I'd rather take that risk than targeting a player like Doan near the end of his career.

Kesler and Kane would be a great second line for the next few years.

BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:51 AM
BrandonL

Quote:
I should've reworded my comment. All I'm going by is what I see from youtube highlights and the occasional NCAA/Wolves game.

The only prospects in my eyes who seem to possess elite level talent are Jensen, Kassian and Lack. Everyone else looks pretty 'meh' to me so far. Of course that can change within time but my point is you'll have to offer a contract in the range of 4 1st's as compensation in order to get Winnipeg to consider letting Kane go. And that's not something the Canucks can afford. They are definitely not loaded with young stars like Philly.
Those future picks probably won't be ready until the Canucks window is on the verge of closing. I'd rather roll the dice and add an elite young power forward to the roster for the next few years.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:07 AM
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Wasn't someone in Winnipeg's organization quoted as saying how instrumental the Canucks were in helping them not only get into the league but how to structure their organization?

Remember we dealt with these people when they were with the Moose, no? Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think there is anyway Gillis and co. offer sheet Kane. Though, I would love to see them try and trade for Kane, I think we have the assets to make it work.
So when the Jets play the Canucks they go easy on us cause we helped them in the past.. Sorry this is business and the business is to win Cups and fill the seats.

The blood lines were cut the minute the jets played their first game

Old
07-23-2012, 03:48 AM
vector209

Quote:
Those future picks probably won't be ready until the Canucks window is on the verge of closing. I'd rather roll the dice and add an elite young power forward to the roster for the next few years.
Good thing you're not the GM and Gillis is. Blowing your load on one guy who isn't even elite yet for 4 1st rounders is not what I consider smart asset management. If the Canucks fail to win the cup, they'll be crippled for a very long time after this core runs its course.

vector209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:49 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Kane is a fine player, and I would love to see in in green and blue.

In order to get him to sign an offer sheet, I see 5+ million.
I think he would be worth at least 5, but I would be wary at 6.5-7, as I have seen thrown around here.
His hard nose style is subject to injuries.

Still, I think Winnipeg matches, no matter what.
I really don't see a point.

Last edited by nameless1: 07-23-2012 at 03:57 AM.
nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Kane does not deserve a contract over what the Sedins and Kesler are making. Peg will likely match any offer in that ballpark.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:58 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Kane does not deserve a contract over what the Sedins and Kesler are making. Peg will likely match any offer in that ballpark.
To borrow the title of the last episode of Newsroom I just watched...
Amen.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:00 AM
Hammer79

Winnipeg ownership has deep pockets. TNSE's founder is David Thomson, and his net worth is around $23 billion . They aren't as likely to be poached as the Preds are.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:04 AM
BrandonL

Quote:
Good thing you're not the GM and Gillis is. Blowing your load on one guy who isn't even elite yet for 4 1st rounders is not what I consider smart asset management. If the Canucks fail to win the cup, they'll be crippled for a very long time after this core runs its course.
I have no idea where you are getting four first rounders from. Realistically, we are probably talking an offer sheet somewhere in between 6-6.5 million per.

As for "blowing the load" on a player that isn't elite, I'd rather have Kane on the second line for the next few years than a couple of picks who likely won't be able to significantly contribute during the current window.

As hard as you are trying to convince yourself, the Canucks will not be perpetual contenders. The core is getting older and their best opportunity at the cup is probably in the next couple of years. I'd rather have a young power forward who can score 30+ goals right now than hoping a couple of late first round picks are ready to play in a few years.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Falconator

No....there is NO scenario where the Jets wouldn't match. We can draft and develop our own players.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Sure why not, I'd do 5 mill a year for the kid but we'd have to get rid of Ballard fast.

I think Jets match anything up to 6 mill.
Give him Sedin money now? Hahahaha

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 50
Id be fine with the Canucks sending him a long term offer averaging around 6, super front loaded really long term with all the cap circumvention bells and whistles that teams can currently get away with. Jets still likely match, but Kane is just exactly what the Canucks 2nd Line needs.

Something along the lines of a 15 year 91 million deal (taking him to age 36)

Years 1-4 12 Million (With all the Weber-esque signing bonuses to front load it)
Years 5-10 5.5 Million
Years 11-15 2 Million

So 15 year deal. Cap Hit 6.07. I would do that in a heartbeat. But yea Winnipeg probably matches.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:43 AM
crazycanuck

Is there a contract the Canucks can offer that the Jets won't match?
The problem is that to get a top end player via offer sheet the Canucks are going to have to put together a contract that is ridiculous and could handicap them in the future.

Even though the Canucks have not done anything very big this summer (So far), they are still a very strong team and will be cup contenders next season.

Offer Sheets are very risky moves if the contract is made to make the other team walk. Weber is one of the few players who may be worth the ridiculous contract AND compensation that Philly offered. Most other players are not worth the compensation that it would take to get them via Offer sheets, this includes Kane.

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
If they can do something front loaded over a long term, say 10 to 12 years, Remember Kane is very young.. So long term is not a problem

As for draft picks, I think it's worth losing for this kind of talent, We can always make trades to get some picks back including in the Loungo deal
10-12 years? That is gross and would cost us 4 1st round picks. No thanks.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:14 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Id be fine with the Canucks sending him a long term offer averaging around 6, super front loaded really long term with all the cap circumvention bells and whistles that teams can currently get away with. Jets still likely match, but Kane is just exactly what the Canucks 2nd Line needs.

Something along the lines of a 15 year 91 million deal (taking him to age 36)

Years 1-4 12 Million (With all the Weber-esque signing bonuses to front load it)
Years 5-10 5.5 Million
Years 11-15 2 Million

So 15 year deal. Cap Hit 6.07. I would do that in a heartbeat. But yea Winnipeg probably matches.
Can we give him a key to the city and 20% of Stanley Park too?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:02 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
There is absolutely nothing that the Jets won't match when it comes to Kane.

His agent was on TSN1290 a couple of weeks ago and said they haven't talked to any other teams and are working on a 6 year deal with the Jets.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote