HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks no longer interested in Daniel Winnik

Old
07-03-2012, 02:52 PM
flatroc

vCash: 500
Sharks no longer interested in Daniel Winnik

Criminy..

Article showed up in a local paper - borrowed from the Mercury News:

"After signing Burish, Wilson acknowledged that the Sharks were no longer interested in bringing back Daniel Winnik"

So, what DID we get for Jamie McGuinn??

flatroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
SharksAddict

TJ Galiardi.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Rickety Cricket

Ffs...

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Guys, don't forget about the 7th in next years draft. I think that made the trade worth it.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Rickety Cricket

Didn't Wilson say he wasn't going to trade for rentals?

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
glasgow26

Not surprising. Wilson said this on July 1. I think a lot of you will be singing a different tune about Galiardi by the mid-way point of the season, though. He's just two years removed from scoring 15 goals and 39 points in 70 games. You guys all hated McGinn in 2010-11 and wanted him in the minors last season, and now that he's gone you miss him. Galiardi had a down year (probably thanks to being injured the last two years) but could easily rebound and pot 20 this season. He's still young (24, same as McGinn) and has a solid skill set. He's also a great agitator, as most of you should remember from our first-round series against the Avs two years ago.

Galiardi has only played 17 games in teal. Give him a chance to show what he can do.

glasgow26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
wishman

And don't forget about Sgarbossa. Yeah, he's just a prospect and might not turn into anything. But I think he ended up leading the OHL in scoring playing on a mediocre team and from what I've read from a few scouts, is definitely NHL material.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Not surprising. Wilson said this on July 1. I think a lot of you will be singing a different tune about Galiardi by the mid-way point of the season, though. He's just two years removed from scoring 15 goals and 39 points in 70 games. You guys all hated McGinn in 2010-11 and wanted him in the minors last season, and now that he's gone you miss him. Galiardi had a down year (probably thanks to being injured the last two years) but could easily rebound and pot 20 this season. He's still young (24, same as McGinn) and has a solid skill set. He's also a great agitator, as most of you should remember from our first-round series against the Avs two years ago.

Galiardi has only played 17 games in teal. Give him a chance to show what he can do.

These are all very good points...people's memories are short, and the fact the sharks exited early without much from anyone, let alone galliardi, while McGinn flourished definitely makes this seem especially bad

But either way...Sharks got fleeced here...Sgarbossa could have been another Pavelski (slow, but talent for scoring goals, surprise development)

Winnik is gone

McGinn is gone

Galliardi might be as good or better than McGinn...

No matter how you size that up, this trade did not help the team overall...

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Iron Chef

The trade hurts because McGinn went on a tear right after being traded, whereas Winnik and Galiardi couldnt even combine for the same number of points as McGinn. Then, Winnik leaves, so feel we traded away Logan Couture for peanuts.

But in all honesty, McGinn did "return to form" shortly before the season ended. I agree that Galiardi has lots of potential that may be seen after a full training camp with the team and a (hopefully) better system that caters to tenacious people like him. I'm also curious what type of offer McGinn got, so thats also something to be considered when all is said and done.

Bottom line, lets wait a while before we show up at DWs doorstep with pitchforks

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

McGinn was already in the process of being replaced by Wingles anyway.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
TJ Galiardi.
yep ... has a higher ceiling than McGinn, I believe

after Burish, if Winnik was signed Galiardi would most likely be buried on the 4th line and his potential would dwindle ... I love Winnik, but 2.5 mil for a 4th liner just doesn't make sense

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...-burish-4-year

Quote:
After signing Burish, Wilson acknowledged that the Sharks were no longer interested in bringing back Daniel Winnik, a forward acquired from Colorado at the trade deadline who fulfills a similar role and also became a free agent Sunday.
FYI: Please post the article you are referencing when starting a thread like this.

Last edited by USF Shark: 07-03-2012 at 03:21 PM.
USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatroc View Post
Criminy..

Article showed up in a local paper - borrowed from the Mercury News:

"After signing Burish, Wilson acknowledged that the Sharks were no longer interested in bringing back Daniel Winnik"

So, what DID we get for Jamie McGuinn??
We got a chance to have a third line that could push the pace and an improved penalty kill. McGinn couldn't help in either of those areas and Winnik fell a bit short. If Winnik wanted 2.5 million as once reported than Wilson deserves some Kudos. Seriously I'll mail him a box.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Pinkfloyd

Asking Burish to replace Winnik is just a boneheaded idea. Burish is not a 3rd line caliber player. Winnik was.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Didn't Wilson say he wasn't going to trade for rentals?
That doesn't mean he was willing to pay Winnik 700k a year more Burish to accomplish such an oath.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:27 PM
magic school bus

Wilson!

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

God dammit DW. Why the hell not? Is Winnik asking for Pavelski money or what?

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:28 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Asking Burish to replace Winnik is just a boneheaded idea. Burish is not a 3rd line caliber player. Winnik was.
He has been a third liner. Their point production is pretty similar. Burish has been used effectively against top comp in the NHL.

Burish and Winniks games are very simmilar. The one difference I can think of is that Burish brings more sandpaper and aggresion to his game. This is something Wilson wanted. If you think Burish is not a 3rd linner then I don't see how you think Winnik was.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:29 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

What a godawful trade

07-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Chileiceman

I'd pick Winnik over Burish. Burish agitates more, but I'd say Winnik is a better all around hockey player.

As an Avs fan, I hope Galiardi pans out. His potential is huge, but he hasn't been able to get it all together since 09-10, with injuries, being put in the doghouse and some just flat out poor play.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
He has been a third liner. Their point production is pretty similar. Burish has been used effectively against top comp in the NHL.

Burish and Winniks games are very simmilar. The one difference I can think of is that Burish brings more sandpaper and aggresion to his game. This is something Wilson wanted. If you think Burish is not a 3rd linner then I don't see how you think Winnik was.
He has been a third liner in Dallas but he was overextended in that role. Point production is similar but Winnik is a shutdown level defensive player with exceptional possession skills. Burish does not have either. Burish may be more chirpy than Winnik but in terms of actual physical aggression, Burish doesn't bring much of it.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:36 PM
WantonAbandon

You guys do realize that everything else about McGinn beside his goal totals and ludicrously high shooting percentage was pretty bad right? For the Avs too.

Edit: I fully expect McGinn to do a Comeau. Actually Comeau probably would still have better value then McGinn

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 07-03-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Lebanezer

I think we should reserve judgement on the Winnik situation until he signs somewhere. If he signs for 3+, which I could see happening after Prust got 2.5, then DW let him walk because his salary demands were totally outlandish. If he signs for 2-2.5 then DW was just being stupid. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been signed yet. I figured he'd go the first day.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
You guys do realize that everything else about McGinn beside his goal totals and ludicrously high shooting percentage was pretty bad right? For the Avs too.
I don't think anyone cares as long as he's scoring. The name of the game is scoring goals more than the other team. Everything else is secondary guidelines towards that end.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He has been a third liner in Dallas but he was overextended in that role. Point production is similar but Winnik is a shutdown level defensive player with exceptional possession skills. Burish does not have either. Burish may be more chirpy than Winnik but in terms of actual physical aggression, Burish doesn't bring much of it.
Yes Burish has been used in the shutdown role very effectively waaayy back in the 2010-2011 season. There is not enough differences between the two to warrant a significant increase in pay to sign Winnik.