HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Prospect Were You Completely Wrong About?

Old
07-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Erz8771

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Definitely took advantage of playing with Evander Kane
Never actually watched him play, just followed his stats. Between his numbers and his size I had high hopes for him.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erz8771 View Post
Never actually watched him play, just followed his stats. Between his numbers and his size I had high hopes for him.
We all did

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
So you know Kraft and he was high on Welch?

On a serious note, yes, the three "Jagr prospects" really amounted to a whole lot of nothing, which is actually pretty unbelievable. I mean how big is the chance that you can pick 3 prospects from an organisation and not of them turns out to be an NHL player?
So I missed a comma... sue me! But yes even Kraft was high on Welch. Such was the reach of his disappointment.

The chances of getting three decent prospects from a team and none panning into a good NHL player? About 2 in 3.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erz8771 View Post
His biggest weakness was his skating and his urgency. He always had good vision, and a decent shot but he was one of the slowest guys on the team.
He also never really looked like he cared. Never battled or played physical at all.

Bunch of my buddies played with him and apparently he was a massive pot smoker. Could have something to do with it lol

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
spcastlemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Kraft I think everyone expected to at least make it as a 2nd line center. I'm still not sure what went wrong with him.
Being randomly bounced between WBS and Pittsburgh, having the misfortune of trying to make it on early to mid 2000's Pens teams and dealing with whatever coaching was there at the time, six minutes a game on the fourth line...

His last year before the lockout:

Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 66 19 21 40 18 -22

Was kind of solid, all things considered. He looked like he was finally putting it together, but the lookout, and the drafting of some center, put the kibosh to that. He played a lot with Morozov that year I believe.

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

I thought Tangradi would be the next Bobby Ryan. While he can still turn into a top 6 forward, I highly doubt he'll be that effective.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Jaded-Fan

At this point the crowd goes nuts whenever another defenseman gets taken. It is not the individual, but that it is a defenseman. Harrington was certainly that case. No one bashed him because of the player but only the position.

I know, defensemen can be traded, blah blah blah. But defensemen prospects do not carry the value that NHL players do and we are getting to the point where we are going to lose prospects for free or next to nothing every year because they will never get a chance to prove themselves first in the NHL. Strait and Bortuzzo are just the first wave of this. So that whole trade em sing song is becoming tired and worn and seeming to be untrue. The drafting philosophy is starting to have a negative impact even if the picks themselves seem to be working out.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
I thought Tangradi would be the next Bobby Ryan. While he can still turn into a top 6 forward, I highly doubt he'll be that effective.
I don't know what gave you that idea (a bigger version of Kunitz is a more realistic ceiling), but yah... there's no chance in hell Tangradi will ever approach Bobby Ryan's offensive capabilities. Even in his best year.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:00 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Definitely took advantage of playing with Evander Kane
He put up good numbers well before playing with Kane though. I too thought he would be solid as I remember an interview right after he was drafted stating that his favorite activity was lifting weights and thinking he must be very committed to getting better. Perhaps he should have used that time for more skating?

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Not a Pens draft pick, but Brandon Saad's looking like he's going to make me eat crow.

I wasn't impressed with him in his draft year. The games I saw, he was a big guy who could skate, but who didn't seem to really use that size or speed to his advantage. So either I only happened to see his worst games of his season, or he's improved by leaps and bounds this year. Because this year he's been a beast.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:50 PM
JTG

The games I've seen of Saad, I still don't particularly like him as a pick. He likes playing a perimeter game, but he has a huge frame. I just think he's going to be a big guy who leaves you wanting more.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Caputi. I remember being semi-upset when he was sent to Toronto. Also, I am surprised there isn't more mention of Armstrong.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:36 PM
netwolf

Send a message via ICQ to netwolf Send a message via AIM to netwolf Send a message via Yahoo to netwolf
Joe Dziedzic had decent wheels and was fairly physical. I thought he was going to at least be a solid 20 goal guy. Whoops...

netwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
For me, it was Kraft. I remember watching him and thinking he had the size, pretty good hands and decent hockey IQ. I never thought he'd be a star or anything, but I thought he could be be a good top 6 contributor. One thousand bank plays off the back off the net later and I saw the writing on the wall.

I was also wrong about Goligoski. I just thought he was way too soft and too scrawny to be an impact player at the NHL level. Thankfully he turned out to be good enough to snag us the winger we've been waiting for.
He had a wrist shot that would make Nedved blush, it's just too bad he never used his size or realized his skating sucked and that he NEEDED to work on it.

Another guy was Konstantin Koltsov, speed for days, worst hands and balance I have ever seen a hockey player have in the pro's, that includes watching a lot of enforcers play from the late 80's on.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The games I've seen of Saad, I still don't particularly like him as a pick. He likes playing a perimeter game, but he has a huge frame. I just think he's going to be a big guy who leaves you wanting more.
Taylor Pyatt 2.0?

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I thought for sure Duchene was going to be the next NHL superstar.

As for Penguins players, I thought Surovy was going to be a 40g guy on Sid's wing. His shot was ridiculous.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Vega

I thought Michel Ouellet was gonna be a 30 goal guy. lol

Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:23 AM
sf expat71

The first one that I was phenominally mistaken about was Daigle. Yeah sure he didn't really make strides his final year of juniors, but he was talked about for a while before he was drafted. Then again, I was young and had only recently started following hockey, not to mention the pro scouts at Ottawa were wrong about him too. I'd say I misjudged McEachern's abilities as well, after his rookie year I thought for sure we had a 30/30 guy minimum. He had good wheels and seemed to finish alright, but his hockey sense wasn't there. After that, Kraft and Dome were both guys I was hoping for more from. Then Koltsov, who retaught me the McEachern lesson. Caputi I was hoping could at least be a 3rd liner type if he failed at a top 6 role with his size. After Caputi, I've stopped pretending I know diddley squat about prospects and will never be wrong about them again. Can't be wrong if you don't have expectations!

sf expat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:57 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I don't know what gave you that idea (a bigger version of Kunitz is a more realistic ceiling), but yah... there's no chance in hell Tangradi will ever approach Bobby Ryan's offensive capabilities. Even in his best year.
Yeah, needless to say I had some rather high expectations

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:29 AM
TopShelfGoal

Not sure if this fits the category or not...but I always thought Malone would spend his career in Pittsburgh.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:34 AM
hctopcheds11

Luca Caputi is the one who stands out the most. I also thought Fata and Beech were going to be solid.

I didn't think Jeffrey would be as good as he was a few years back before ACL surgery. He was looking like a 3rd line center with second line upside.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Right before his rookie season I thought Ryan Malone would be nothing more than a 3rd liner for WBS. Never even considered that he'd make the team.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Was hoping Koltsov would break out, and even though he wasn't drafted by the Pens I was hoping Beech was gonna ease the pain of losing Jagoff.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
So I missed a comma... sue me! But yes even Kraft was high on Welch. Such was the reach of his disappointment.

The chances of getting three decent prospects from a team and none panning into a good NHL player? About 2 in 3.
Beech was a 7th overall pick who was touted very highly, to bad he had no heart. Sivek was 29th overall and Lupaschuk 34th overall and was viewed as the best offenisve dman from that draft. Beech has a grand total of 25 NHL goals and had by far the most successfull career of the three. That's epic.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:00 AM
cassius

Noah Welch for me

Johannes Salmonsson was another guy I was relatively high on. He had a great WJC and then completely fell off the radar, which is rare for a 1st rounder.

Last edited by cassius: 07-24-2012 at 10:05 AM.
cassius is offline   Reply With Quote