HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Which Prospect Were You Completely Wrong About?

Old
07-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Neonbuzz

vCash: 500
I thought Alexei Morozov was going to set the NHL on fire when he first came over from Russia. He had the speed and skill, but his game just never translated to the NHL, but back in Russia he was “The Man” for several seasons and is still putting up good number.

Neonbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:33 AM
BeefWellington
Enjoy the Ment.

Angelo Esposito

While it's still a little pre mature, but I thought Keven Veilleux would be something special with his size and skill but as we all know injuries have derailed his career. Hopefully, he can just play a whole season this year.

BeefWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:35 PM
phantommullet

Robert Dome, Milan Kraft, Michel Ouellet

I though Dome was a can't miss.

phantommullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:51 PM
JTG

I have always wondered how a group of highly touted players all flop. Kraft, Koltsov, Dome were all 1st rounders for us. Then we get those guys from the Jagr trade. I mean, every single one of them sucked.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:51 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonbuzz View Post
I thought Alexei Morozov was going to set the NHL on fire when he first came over from Russia. He had the speed and skill, but his game just never translated to the NHL, but back in Russia he was “The Man” for several seasons and is still putting up good number.
Agreed. I'm still shocked he never had 100 career goals in the NHL, but I guess it is tough when you don't play NJ every night.

And like many others, Kraft.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:27 PM
maxpenguins6630

Deception: Stone, Filewich, Nemec,

Surprise: Moulson, Lalime,

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
JTG

I definitely thought Ryan Stone would have a bigger impact in the NHL than he has.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:24 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Another guy was Konstantin Koltsov, speed for days, worst hands and balance I have ever seen a hockey player have in the pro's, that includes watching a lot of enforcers play from the late 80's on.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I definitely thought Ryan Stone would have a bigger impact in the NHL than he has.
His skating was so atrocious he made Jason Allison look like Mike Gartner.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
His skating was so atrocious he made Jason Allison look like Mike Gartner.
from what I'm gathering that should really be the first thing we look at when analyzing prospects

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
from what I'm gathering that should really be the first thing we look at when analyzing prospects
It's the first thing I look at now and it has saved me a ton of grief for getting too excited about a prospect. If a guy can't skate well, I pretty much give up on him. Sounds stupid, but it is a very good way to predict if a player will struggle in the NHL.

Despite putting up good numbers in jrs players like Stone, Filewich, CPZ, Ouellet and Caputi never had me very excited because of their skating. Jeffrey is one of the rare players who surprised me and got to the NHL and did well enough.

You obviously can have a very good skater who lacks hockey sense, strength, etc and can't handle the NHL as well. But guys who aren't good skaters, despite their skill, for the most part, struggle in the NHL.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
It's the first thing I look at now and it has saved me a ton of grief for getting too excited about a prospect. If a guy can't skate well, I pretty much give up on him. Sounds stupid, but it is a very good way to predict if a player will struggle in the NHL.

Despite putting up good numbers in jrs players like Stone, Filewich, CPZ, Ouellet and Caputi never had me very excited because of their skating. Jeffrey is one of the rare players who surprised me and got to the NHL and did well enough.

You obviously can have a very good skater who lacks hockey sense, strength, etc and can't handle the NHL as well. But guys who aren't good skaters, despite their skill, for the most part, struggle in the NHL.
speaking of that, how about Bennett? I've heard he has a weird stride or something. I have no idea what that means

Old
07-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
speaking of that, how about Bennett? I've heard he has a weird stride or something. I have no idea what that means
Guys who start out playing roller hockey can develop a lazy stride. It's basically because the weight of the skate is heavier and there is more friction, even on sport court vs ice. So roller hockey players cheat their stride in many cases.

You are taught to really bend your knees and extend the full length of your leg, then bring it back under your hip before you start to push off from your other leg. This way you get the full transfer of power from each stride.

Guys who play roller tend to snap their ankle at the end of their stride too early and not fully extend. BB does that, but it's more his edge work I'm worried about. A great power skating coach like Stamm or Glantz can really help him lengthen his stride over a Summer, but edge work takes a lot of time.

His skating needs cleaned up, but it shouldn't keep him out of the NHL. BB worries me, but not in the same way the players I talked about above.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Guys who start out playing roller hockey can develop a lazy stride. It's basically because the weight of the skate is heavier and there is more friction, even on sport court vs ice. So roller hockey players cheat their stride in many cases.

You are taught to really bend your knees and extend the full length of your leg, then bring it back under your hip before you start to push off from your other leg. This way you get the full transfer of power from each stride.

Guys who play roller tend to snap their ankle at the end of their stride too early and not fully extend. BB does that, but it's more his edge work I'm worried about. A great power skating coach like Stamm or Glantz can really help him lengthen his stride over a Summer, but edge work takes a lot of time.

His skating needs cleaned up, but it shouldn't keep him out of the NHL. BB worries me, but not in the same way the players I talked about above.
fair enough. I have a feeling I'd be in trouble. I am a below average roller hockey skater

Old
07-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Heatseeker

Milan Kraft. I thought he would be a solid player or at least a serviceable one.

I was ecstatic when Angelo Esposito fell to the Pens. I thought he would be a steal. At least he helped the Pens obtain Duper!

Heatseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:50 AM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
Milan Kraft. I thought he would be a solid player or at least a serviceable one.

I was ecstatic when Angelo Esposito fell to the Pens. I thought he would be a steal. At least he helped the Pens obtain Duper!
I thought Esposito would be a solid player...

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:13 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

i thought zarley zalapski would be just as good as brian leetch (same draft class IIRC) bigger, mobile, had a blast from the point.

also thought beech and sivek would at the least become decent NHLers

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 07:18 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

I always thought Crosby would be like an all-star or something. Totally blew that one

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Chiquito

When the Penguins drafted Chris Joseph at the 5th pick in 1987...it sounded like the second coming of Bobby Orr. At the time Eddie Johnstone said if his birthday was a few days later Joseph would of been the number one pick in 88. A few months later, he and Craig Simpson were traded for Paul Coffey. People were shocked that Pittsburgh gave up both Simpson and Joseph.... Simpson was already a good young forward, but the experts were stunned that the pens gave Joseph too. I remember Sather after acquiring the two players saying that Joseph was the best young defenceman he saw since Bobby Orr. Joseph went on to have a mediocre decade in the NHL.

Chiquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 12:09 PM
steelcityassault

Beech.

I was also 10 years old

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:43 PM
SIDGENO8771

I thought Caputi would be a 2nd-3rd liner at worst. Also after seeing CPZ rip up the WHL, I thought he was THE winger for Sid. Also, I thought Pittsburgh would bring Angelo Esposito back to the clutch goal scoring winger he was in his first years in juniors.

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 05:55 AM
porrylogspop

Alex zhevakin,

porrylogspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTBoonies View Post
When the Penguins drafted Chris Joseph at the 5th pick in 1987...it sounded like the second coming of Bobby Orr. At the time Eddie Johnstone said if his birthday was a few days later Joseph would of been the number one pick in 88. A few months later, he and Craig Simpson were traded for Paul Coffey. People were shocked that Pittsburgh gave up both Simpson and Joseph.... Simpson was already a good young forward, but the experts were stunned that the pens gave Joseph too. I remember Sather after acquiring the two players saying that Joseph was the best young defenceman he saw since Bobby Orr. Joseph went on to have a mediocre decade in the NHL.
Johnston also said Ian Moran reminded him of Orr. How Moran ever played in the NHL is beyound me.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote