HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky trying to void trade to Isles - UPDATE: More Drama (post #510)

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Faterson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Fine he will honor the contract, but if his heart is not in the game wherein he might be a liability for us on the ice or in our locker room I would cut him loose or find someway to offload him and get value back.
I think that would be reasonable. In the "respectable newspaper" interview, Višňovský suggests it might not be easy for him as a 36-year-old to play 48 NHL games in 2.5 months. You might not get the "full value Višňovský" under such circumstances. The KHL schedule can be hectic at times, too, but the 52 games of the KHL regular season were scheduled over 5.5 months from early September to mid-February.

Višňovský said in the interview he thinks the KHL is now more suitable for him than the NHL. I don't think he's being lazy or trying to find excuses in saying that -- perhaps he's being honest and realistic about his capabilities at this late point in his career. You might also consider that Višňovský has been (similarly to Pálffy) rejecting invitations from the Slovak national team in the last 2 years, saying that younger players should play instead.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You guys should force him to honor his contract... by sending him down to the AHL. Who does this guy think he is? Everyone from Malkin to Semin has already committed to honoring their contracts, but the great Visnovsky is too good to?
It's not about being "too good". Like said above, there are special circumstances without which he would already be on a plane to NY. His hometown club that introduced him to big hockey just joined the second best league in the world and is doing great there and is on its way to the playoffs, especially thanks to Visnovsky. Every single game is sold out and the fans love him. No wonder he doesn't want to leave it all to play in one of the worst NHL clubs where he never wanted to go in the first place and where the fans don't like him anyway. Not to mention that his family wants him to stay home too.

And if he really wants to be an *******, he can do what Ziggy Palffy did to Pens. Announce retirement to get out of the contract and then make a "comeback" by signing his hometown club. This would ban him from playing in NHL for the next 2 years but he doesn't want to play there anyway.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Veteran journeyman

Assuming he does what he's supposed to do and reports, I hope the Isles trade this guy asap for another 2nd rounder, or even a 3rd at this point. I know that would hurt our chances on the ice, but I'm tired of reading about all the "noble reasons" he doesn't want to be here. Let some other team deal with this wet blanket.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
It's not about being "too good". Like said above, there are special circumstances without which he would already be on a plane to NY. His hometown club that introduced him to big hockey just joined the second best league in the world and is doing great there and is on its way to the playoffs, especially thanks to Visnovsky. Every single game is sold out and the fans love him. No wonder he doesn't want to leave it all to play in one of the worst NHL clubs where he never wanted to go in the first place and where the fans don't like him anyway. Not to mention that his family wants him to stay home too.

And if he really wants to be an *******, he can do what Ziggy Palffy did to Pens. Announce retirement to get out of the contract and then make a "comeback" by signing his hometown club. This would ban him from playing in NHL for the next 2 years but he doesn't want to play there anyway.
I'm sure he's having a great time back home, but he's under contract and the Islanders gave up a draft pick for the rights to his services. When you are making millions to play hockey, there are some things you need to sacrifice..such as not being able to walk out of contract because you feel like it. If being home matters so much to him, he should retire and play for free in a recreational league.

When you sign an NHL contract without a no trade clause, you have to understand you might be traded somewhere you don't want to play. It's part of the job, and forgive me for only having limited sympathy for a guy who made millions doing this. It's not like he's going to prison, he's being asked to play hockey in NY for a few months, collect his money, and then be free to do whatever he wants.

You have Russian guys like Semin and Emelin who don't even speak English who have already prepared to leave home and head back to North America. And few players have been scapegoated by the North American media like Semin. What makes Visnovsky special here?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Assuming he does what he's supposed to do and reports, I hope the Isles trade this guy asap for another 2nd rounder, or even a 3rd at this point. I know that would hurt our chances on the ice, but I'm tired of reading about all the "noble reasons" he doesn't want to be here. Let some other team deal with this wet blanket.
He will play and hopfully play well enough that if we are out of the hunt we could atleast fip him to a contender...Mayby even get a 2nd back...

People said we stole him from ANA for only giving up a 2nd but I doubt we can swing a 1st in a deadline deal....but who knows..

I cant wait until we are the ones buying and not selling at the deadline...

Old
01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I wonder if Satan (captain of Slovan) is talking to him
I'm afraid Šatan has other worries now, after having suffered a possibly career-ending hit from Chára in early November. Šatan hasn't played since, and he's been visiting doctors on a daily basis for months now.

Quote:
which makes me think Visnovsky would treat any NHL team like this...
Absolutely.

Quote:
and not just because it's the "lowly" Islanders.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will5059 View Post
He and his fans over there should be thankful for the first half of the season they got to spend with each other
But this is exactly the problem: it's not half the season in terms of the KHL. It's more like 80% of the season. Had the lockout ended, say, in early December, I think Višňovský would have left for the NHL without much ado. But to leave with 12 games left to play in the regular season, in the final stretch of the race to the play-offs... that's different.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:29 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:

Does the KHL really want to return to the nasty contract disputes with the NHL? Especially 1 yr before the Olympic games, which the NHL has not committed too?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:31 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
And after trading Vis for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, in a cut off your own nose to spite your face move, we can watch 19 yr old Reinhart or 22 yr old Donovan, be rushed into a top 4 nhl role, they are not ready for.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:33 PM
koyo

Visnovsky doesn't really care about the Olympics as he has already retired from the national team...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Does the KHL really want to return to the nasty contract disputes with the NHL? Especially 1 yr before the Olympic games, which the NHL has not committed too?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
And after trading Vis for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, in a cut off your own nose to spite your face move, we can watch 19 yr old Reinhart or 22 yr old Donovan, be rushed into a top 4 nhl role, they are not ready for.
Donovan might be ready for the nhl. But im concerned ho this effects the cap situation should he not report.

I worry theyll rush some player(s) like nino, strome, reinhart just to make the floor. I believe they are 2 mil under withouth visnovsky.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:37 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I think that would be reasonable. In the "respectable newspaper" interview, Višňovský suggests it might not be easy for him as a 36-year-old to play 48 NHL games in 2.5 months. You might not get the "full value Višňovský" under such circumstances. The KHL schedule can be hectic at times, too, but the 52 games of the KHL regular season were scheduled over 5.5 months from early September to mid-February.

Višňovský said in the interview he thinks the KHL is now more suitable for him than the NHL. I don't think he's being lazy or trying to find excuses in saying that -- perhaps he's being honest and realistic about his capabilities at this late point in his career. You might also consider that Višňovský has been (similarly to Pálffy) rejecting invitations from the Slovak national team in the last 2 years, saying that younger players should play instead.
Well, he is fully fit and is really just trying to come up with every kind of excuse he can to avoid playing for the Islanders. First he tried to void the trade upsetting management and fans alike and now he's saying playing 48 games in 2.5 months is too much for him? He is a professional athlete and should cope because after those 2.5 months he can go back to Slovan and play there until he retires!

Old
01-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
When you are making millions to play hockey, there are some things you need to sacrifice..such as not being able to walk out of contract because you feel like it.
I think your logic is flawed in saying this. I'm sure Višňovský has well-earned all the millions he got during his career. He's now willing to give up "millions" from the Islanders in order to play on his hometown team. You seem to infer an obligation for Višňovský on the basis of millions he hasn't so far received. If he's willing to give them up along with his NHL career, why should that be unacceptable?

(If you think Slovan can compete with the Islanders salary-wise, definitely not -- it has one of the lowest budgets in the KHL, around $15 million per season.)

The comparison to Semin and Emelin isn't very good, because Višňovský is at the end of his career.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:43 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyo View Post
Visnovsky doesn't really care about the Olympics as he has already retired from the national team...
He's talking about all NHL players being allowed to play in the olympics. WHile under NHL contract players have to receive permission to play in international tournaments. If there is another dispute over existing contracts the NHL may decied to not allow any of its players to play in the 2014 Olympics

Old
01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
ebis

Slovan DJ joins the debate by playing "Should I stay or should I go" to Visnovsky during the last post-game ritual. Starting 4:10.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

There's no sensible argument in favor of Visnovsky staying in the KHL. Everyone on both sides knew the situation going in. His primary obligation is to the team with which he's contractually obligated to play.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Slovan DJ joins the debate by playing "Should I stay or should I go" to Visnovsky during the last post-game ritual. Starting 4:10.

Well, getting a 5-minute standing ovation from a sell-out crowd at the end of "just another ordinary regular season game" doesn't make his decision any easier. Those kinds of celebrations are usually reserved for Cup winners.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Donovan would be there anyway...they only have five defensemen with Streit, Vis, Hamonic, AMac, Carkner. So if you feel he's being rushed, you better hope we have a plan to bring someone else in regardless. If Visnovsky is traded or doesn't show, whatever, all the better. I'd prefer not watching a player who feels like he is going to the dentist's office suiting up for this team. Every time we want to get excited about something...the draft, the end of the lockout...he opens his mouth and we're talking about him for all the wrong reasons again. That's all we need is to get on a bit of a roll this season, or worse, hit a rough patch, and then have another Google translated article mangling the English language telling us about the latest Visnovsky interview where he says he wants to leave again or whatever. I'd rather go to the paltry UFA market and pull someone off the scrap heap to log minutes for 48 games.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:19 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyo View Post
At a time that the Russians want the NHL to come over for the 2014 Olympics, are they going to reopen KHL/NHL contract disputes, over 36 yr old Vis who has a valid NHL contract?

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympi...inter-olympics
"As I have always said, we want the NHL players at the Sochi 2014 Olympics and we are working on a schedule where we are expecting them to compete," Fasel told insidethegames.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:22 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Donovan would be there anyway...they only have five defensemen with Streit, Vis, Hamonic, AMac, Carkner. So if you feel he's being rushed, you better hope we have a plan to bring someone else in regardless. If Visnovsky is traded or doesn't show, whatever, all the better. I'd prefer not watching a player who feels like he is going to the dentist's office suiting up for this team. Every time we want to get excited about something...the draft, the end of the lockout...he opens his mouth and we're talking about him for all the wrong reasons again. That's all we need is to get on a bit of a roll this season, or worse, hit a rough patch, and then have another Google translated article mangling the English language telling us about the latest Visnovsky interview where he says he wants to leave again or whatever. I'd rather go to the paltry UFA market and pull someone off the scrap heap to log minutes for 48 games.
Donovan will be there in a sheltered 3rd pairing role. That's a big difference, then being put in a 20+ mins a night, 2nd pairing role.

And if the wheels fall off the NYI season, we will most likely see Vis along with the other impending ufas, traded to playoff bound teams.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:23 PM
will5059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post

But this is exactly the problem: it's not half the season in terms of the KHL. It's more like 80% of the season. Had the lockout ended, say, in early December, I think Višňovský would have left for the NHL without much ado. But to leave with 12 games left to play in the regular season, in the final stretch of the race to the play-offs... that's different.
Point well taken. That being said I still look at it this way: IMO I felt the lockout would either but resolved in January , just before the league was about to pull the plug, or in the fall of '13, just before games for next season would be cancelled. So again, they knew there was at least some chance the lockout would end and his contract in the US would have to be honored. It just frustrates me as a fan that when a player from one of my teams gets traded because my team is rebuilding or can't afford to resign him I'm reminded by the team and the player that at the end of the day this is a business an I shouldn't take it personal it just came down to money, but now all the sudden I have to feel sorry for a guy who gets very well paid because he wants to stay home . Oh and by the way, either way we are going to come out of this looking like The Great Satan as a country like we've kidnapped him or something . Total lose-lose at this point.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
ebis

Quote:
At a time that the Russians want the NHL to come over for the 2014 Olympics, are they going to reopen KHL/NHL contract disputes, over 36 yr old Vis who has a valid NHL contract?

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympi...inter-olympics
"As I have always said, we want the NHL players at the Sochi 2014 Olympics and we are working on a schedule where we are expecting them to compete," Fasel told insidethegames.
I don't really think that NHL would dare not let their players go to the Olympics. That would piss off too many fans as well as players, NHL can't afford that, especially at a time when fans are already disgusted enough from the lockout negotiations.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
I don't really think that NHL would dare not let their players go to the Olympics. That would piss off too many fans as well as players, NHL can't afford that, especially at a time when fans are already disgusted enough from the lockout negotiations.
You better bet they would. The NHL already wants a reason to make that decision. The team owner accept all the risk as they continue to pay the players and the insurance and see none of the benifits. Remember this is a bussiness and its up to them to allow thier employees to take such a risk. There is no reward for the owner or the NHL team in the Olympics. Its a burden as the NHL has to cease opperations for the 2 week or so time period. During this time they are spending resources but not making any money.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:38 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
And I don't think the Russians care to reopen nasty contract disputes, that we haven't seen between the NHL and KHL in several yrs.

When the Avs rfa Ryan O'Reilly, signed a 2 yr contract with Metallurg Magnitogorsk a few months ago, Metallurg's gm has told the press, that the team will not block O'Reilly's return to the NHL, if his NHL contract is more lucrative then his KHL contract. Another case of avoiding an unpleasant dispute between the two leagues, at a time the Russians want the NHL to commit to the 2014 Olympics.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
There is no reward for the owner or the NHL team in the Olympics.
PR. I realize that economically, Olympics are a burden. But like I said, not letting the players go there would piss of too many fans, especially since Olympics are extremely popular even in North America, as opposed to World Championship. And right now, NHL can't afford that, the lockout has already harmed its reputation enough.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:55 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
PR. I realize that economically, Olympics are a burden. But like I said, not letting the players go there would piss of too many fans, especially since Olympics are extremely popular even in North America, as opposed to World Championship. And right now, NHL can't afford that, the lockout has already harmed its reputation enough.
And the Russians, wanting the NHL's participation, is prepared to let 1 team reopen NHL/KHL contract disputes over a 36 yr Vis?

If anyone can't afford a pr mess at this time, it's the Russians, wanting the NHL's participation in the 2014 Olympics.

Closed Thread