HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Has It Hit Anyone Yet?

Old
07-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

vCash: 500
Has It Hit Anyone Yet?

I took a moment to reflect on this summer, and realized...... HOLY **** we got both Yakupov, and Schultz!!!!! It just feels like everything is coming together, after all of the crap we have had to put up with. I know that the oilers have a long way to go, but it's great to be an Oiler fan right now.

I just wanted to remind everyone of this, it just seems so surreal that we have so much talent. I can't wait until we are putting up GDT's in April.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:58 PM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
Everyone is putting so much stock in Schultz when the reality is he will most likely be as good as Gardiner was in his first season. Which was solid but not overwhelming. I think in a few years he could be good but don`t expect just because Tambo added Schultz and luckily got Yakupov were in the playoff hunt.

Yakupov might not even make the team, very unlikely I know. And Schultz might not either. These are two players who have not even played an NHL game yet.

If Tambo thinks this is all we need, he really needs a wake up call. And I`m sure when the Oil land in lottery territory again he will get his wake up call but he wont be able to do anything about it because he damn well better be fired for thinking two rookies was all we needed.

Disclaimer - I`m not saying I`m not excited about Schultz and Yakupov. I am very happy we have them, I`m just saying don`t expect too much out of them in their first seasons because you will surely be disappointed.

djdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:00 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
We have a tonne of young talent. But we need to start getting role players to help do some of the heavy lifting.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:02 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I think the novelty of shiny new toys has worn off. I was thrilled that we got them, but my enthusiasm is on hold until we start to see some progress with the big club

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:02 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
As good as it feels, I'm still not satisfied with this offseason unless they add a top-four defenceman. Another issue to address in the next year is size/toughness in the top two lines, at centre especially. Don't expect too many meaningful games until then.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:03 PM
BlueChip01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
We have a tonne of young talent. But we need to start getting role players to help do some of the heavy lifting.
Agree. I'm excited, but I will get more excited when we see some help coming in. I'm tired of selling off my season tickets starting at the end of December lol. Would be nice to go to meaningful games in February and March.

Schultz just needs to be steady his first year. I won't expect too much.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:07 PM
doubledown99

I'm sooooooooooo excited with the talent we have assembled. I can't wait for the season to start!

My perfect offseason for the Oilers was to draft Yakupov and sign Schultz. So in my eyes it's been a UNBELIEVABLE OFFSEASON

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:10 PM
vespa99

I am happy with the 2 additions this summer but dont think they will make that big a difference this year. Yak is the most likely to make a splash IMO. His attitude and strengths make me think he could be a producer right off the bat.
Schultz looks so skinny. I think it will take him 2 or 3 years to reach his potential. I can see him getting eaten alive by some of the pros. Obviously they will try to shelter him the first season but that will also limit his production.
It is the vets and the young guns from last year that will have to improve for the team to take any serious step forward this year. If they are relying on Yak and Shultz it wont end well.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

There was a thread a little while ago, I think it was a two option poll that posed the question "would you be happy if all Tambo managed to do this summer was get Yakupov and Schultz" and I voted yes.

I figured it would be one or the other, glad we got both, can't wait to watch them play.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Toydarian

It is concerning that the Oilers are heading into the 2012-13 season with virtually the same roster as 2011-12. The young players will probably improve and the Oilers will be a better team, but I am weary of "what ifs." However, I didn't see an opportunity for the EDM to improve their roster this offseason. The UFA class was very weak and unspectacular players received hefty contracts. I am glad Tambo didn't invest some of the team's future capital into so-so players. One thing that is encouraging, a lot of the Oilers team stats were not indicative of a 29th place finish (i.e. GF, PP, PK, etc). I hope the next step is improvement in the standings, but after 3 first overall picks, I am leery of investing too much hope in the Oilers.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
I am happy with the 2 additions this summer but dont think they will make that big a difference this year. Yak is the most likely to make a splash IMO. His attitude and strengths make me think he could be a producer right off the bat.
Schultz looks so skinny. I think it will take him 2 or 3 years to reach his potential. I can see him getting eaten alive by some of the pros. Obviously they will try to shelter him the first season but that will also limit his production.
It is the vets and the young guns from last year that will have to improve for the team to take any serious step forward this year. If they are relying on Yak and Shultz it wont end well.
Oilers are trying to develop from within and will not be adding too much via free agency\trades. Sure we could have taken shortcuts and traded Eberle for Yandle or drafted Murray instead of Yakupov. Choosing to just wait for guys like Kelfbom, Hartikainen and Pitlick to develop and sticking with guys like Peckham, Petrell, Smyth shows we are willing to just let this run its course.

Draft day til Jun30th was the most exciting time in a long time for me hockey wise.. Our PP would be even deadlier with the addition of these 2.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

The fever hit me the moment I saw Yakupov at youthcamp. It was like visual prozac. This guy is going to be a great remedy to short winter days. He's a natural deterrent to Seasonal affective disorder..

The team will be entertaining win lose or draw.

The only bad thing imo is if theres a lockout.

Schultz I really don't know anything about so I'll wait till I see him.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Krut

Although I think that adding a top 4 d man is a must if we want to make the playoffs, I also believe that many are severely underrating the impact that Schultz and Yakupov can have on this team.

Yakupov could easily pot 25-30 goals next year, and Schultz has the potential to put up 40+ points as a PP QB, while being at the very least semi-competent in his own end. When you start to look at these players in terms of what they could contribute to the team numbers wise, their impact is much more definable.

Let me put it this way - If the Oilers went out and nabbed a 25 goal, 60 point winger, and a 40 point d man that can skate in free agency, people would be over the moon, and maybe even predicting playoffs. Difference is that these players are unproven, so we don't know exactly what we have yet. I don't think that my prognostications for these two players are unreasonable, and if they can both have this kind of impact next season, we will be a much better hockey team.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:42 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Adding Yakupov and Schultz in one off season is amazing.

We still have a desperate need to add another d man if we are to take a step forward.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
It is concerning that the Oilers are heading into the 2012-13 season with virtually the same roster as 2011-12. The young players will probably improve and the Oilers will be a better team, but I am weary of "what ifs." However, I didn't see an opportunity for the EDM to improve their roster this offseason. The UFA class was very weak and unspectacular players received hefty contracts. I am glad Tambo didn't invest some of the team's future capital into so-so players. One thing that is encouraging, a lot of the Oilers team stats were not indicative of a 29th place finish (i.e. GF, PP, PK, etc). I hope the next step is improvement in the standings, but after 3 first overall picks, I am leery of investing too much hope in the Oilers.
Another way of looking at it is we will probably see the "addition" of a return to Hemsky, a somewhat better Belanger, kids are all a year older, hopefully Harti staying up and getting minutes, No barker, No Omark (yes!), and a Smyth that will be helped by a better lineup and not burning himself out by December.

Also can Horcoff continue to be this ineffective? Maybe thats rhetorical..

Theres improvement if we're even healthy, and if theres some return to form for some players.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:44 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think it will sink in until we see both play and realize how good they are. Right now HF is doing the usual pessimistic out look. It is going to take this team to actually gel and yak and shultz to shine before it really sinks in.

This team has a ton of young talent. A Ton!!!

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:23 PM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
Everyone is putting so much stock in Schultz when the reality is he will most likely be as good as Gardiner was in his first season. Which was solid but not overwhelming. I think in a few years he could be good but don`t expect just because Tambo added Schultz and luckily got Yakupov were in the playoff hunt.

Yakupov might not even make the team, very unlikely I know. And Schultz might not either. These are two players who have not even played an NHL game yet.

If Tambo thinks this is all we need, he really needs a wake up call. And I`m sure when the Oil land in lottery territory again he will get his wake up call but he wont be able to do anything about it because he damn well better be fired for thinking two rookies was all we needed.

Disclaimer - I`m not saying I`m not excited about Schultz and Yakupov. I am very happy we have them, I`m just saying don`t expect too much out of them in their first seasons because you will surely be disappointed.
you know what?

i am gonna expect alot, and i don't really give a **** if i get disappointed. i would rather be excited that the oilers got 2 more great young players for me to watch develop with an already great young core, then piss and moan that the oilers didn't do enough.

i'm tired of buzz killingtons on this board telling me how i should watch my team play, that i should curb my enthusiasm because they say the oilers aren't gonna live up to expectations. i'm not gonna sit in my basement and brood because the oilers didn't get suter, or weber or whoever random internet poster guy says the team needed for them to be anygood. i'm gonna be excited to watch a whole bunch of great young players work their ass's off to put a winnng team on the ice. maybe you should up your expectations and just enjoy them for what they are: the most talented group of players the oilers have assembled in 20 years.

Last edited by blackwater: 07-23-2012 at 02:30 PM.
blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I don't think it will sink in until we see both play and realize how good they are. Right now HF is doing the usual pessimistic out look. It is going to take this team to actually gel and yak and shultz to shine before it really sinks in.

This team has a ton of young talent. A Ton!!!
I have been optimistic the last two years.

I thought for sure we would see improvement last year and maybe we did in a lot of statistical categories as mentioned above. But that is not what matters in the end, we need to improve in the standings and as of right now it doesn`t seem wise to think that adding two rookies to a team that finished 29th last year will do much better. And yes, I understand the young guys will be older but should our GM really be banking on that...

If I was Tambo, I would package 2013 and 2014 first rounders with some other assets and try and fetch another good defender ala the Kessel deal. Just to show the team and fans he is serious about improving. As of right now it looks like hes going for another lotto pick.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Oilers are trying to develop from within and will not be adding too much via free agency\trades. Sure we could have taken shortcuts and traded Eberle for Yandle or drafted Murray instead of Yakupov. Choosing to just wait for guys like Kelfbom, Hartikainen and Pitlick to develop and sticking with guys like Peckham, Petrell, Smyth shows we are willing to just let this run its course.

Draft day til Jun30th was the most exciting time in a long time for me hockey wise.. Our PP would be even deadlier with the addition of these 2.
I am fine with this also. I would not have gone out of my way trying to sign any of the mediocre or overpriced free agents that were available.
Just saying anyone that thinks the 2 additions are going to make us a lot better are going to be dissapointed. It is on the Vets to improve the team. They were the weak links. ( I am talking the guys over 25 yrs old. The kids were very good)

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
jadeddog

I am one of the biggest backers of Yakupov on the Oilers board. I said "better than Hall" *last* CHL season, when I thought there wasn't a chance of us getting him, so it's not like I only started singing his praises once the Oilers drafted him either. I really think Yakupov could be a 40 goal winger who also hits some and goes to the tough areas of the ice. He isn't a Heatley or Semin, as he has all their skill but with a lot more heart and willingness. I think people might be underestimating what Yakupov could do as early as next season.

Schultz is another thing altogether, as I have no idea what type of player he will be. But if all the experts are right and he "only" turns out to be a slightly better version of Gardiner, than he'll still be a very useful player and an upgrade over last years bottom pairing dmen.

All that being said, I still don't think we'll make the plaoffs next year, but I'm almost 100% sure we'll be in the hunt right close to the end of the season.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
OILSLICK94

I said to myself before the 2012 draft, if the Oilers could walk away with Yakupov (not draft Murray/Reinhardt) like the puke McGuire said to do. And then a week later score Schultz thru a signing....it would be an instant success..... VIOLA its finally sinking in. (I'm still in baseball mode tho with the summer)

Schultz is arguably better then any "D" man in this past draft.

Easily the Oilers scored 2 top 5 talents within two weeks.

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
I have been optimistic the last two years.

I thought for sure we would see improvement last year and maybe we did in a lot of statistical categories as mentioned above. But that is not what matters in the end, we need to improve in the standings and as of right now it doesn`t seem wise to think that adding two rookies to a team that finished 29th last year will do much better. And yes, I understand the young guys will be older but should our GM really be banking on that...

If I was Tambo, I would package 2013 and 2014 first rounders with some other assets and try and fetch another good defender ala the Kessel deal. Just to show the team and fans he is serious about improving. As of right now it looks like hes going for another lotto pick.
Well like I said, I think we have to wait and see how good those rookies are. I think you are right to be skeptical, bottom line is that neither yaks or shultz has proven anything yet. I am just saying when they do prove how good they are, then I think the opptimism will come.

Adding two rookies plus Ebls, Nuge, Gags, Petry, Hall ect all getting better. It is not a small up grade.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:04 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Although I think that adding a top 4 d man is a must if we want to make the playoffs, I also believe that many are severely underrating the impact that Schultz and Yakupov can have on this team.

Yakupov could easily pot 25-30 goals next year, and Schultz has the potential to put up 40+ points as a PP QB, while being at the very least semi-competent in his own end. When you start to look at these players in terms of what they could contribute to the team numbers wise, their impact is much more definable.

Let me put it this way - If the Oilers went out and nabbed a 25 goal, 60 point winger, and a 40 point d man that can skate in free agency, people would be over the moon, and maybe even predicting playoffs. Difference is that these players are unproven, so we don't know exactly what we have yet. I don't think that my prognostications for these two players are unreasonable, and if they can both have this kind of impact next season, we will be a much better hockey team.
It's not that your point totals are out to lunch, but both of these guys are rookies. Regardless of the point they put up, they are going to bleed goals against until they settle their defensive part of the game or start outscoring through the roof.

I'm super pumped for both of them. But I could see them both put up 60 or 40 points as you suggest, and have them be net contributors for losing games. That said, they won't be that for too long... just being realistic for this year.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:05 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Yak/Schultz are AMAZING, but I'm actually ridiculously pumped that Krueger is our HC. Everything I've heard about him has been positive and he looks like he could be a great HC.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Well like I said, I think we have to wait and see how good those rookies are. I think you are right to be skeptical, bottom line is that neither yaks or shultz has proven anything yet. I am just saying when they do prove how good they are, then I think the opptimism will come.

Adding two rookies plus Ebls, Nuge, Gags, Petry, Hall ect all getting better. It is not a small up grade.

I think a lot of this teams success hinges on the Gagner. If he can step up and be the 2C he can be then I can see us winning a lot more games just because we have too many scoring threats. He has never had a better chance with so many good wingers to play with. As long as our D can stay healthy we should be okay. I just wish Tambo would have added another T4 D-Man to have that feeling as though he at least made more of an effort. If we do end up in the bottom 5 again, I can see fans of other teams saying how great of a tank job Tambo did yet again.