HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Happy Hello to Everyone

Old
08-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
A Happy Hello to Everyone

While on the train back to Albany trying to catch up on the last six weeks after the trip of a lifetime to Africa working on some of the most amazing volcanoes in the world. Hope everyone is having a great summer. While reading about the prospects scrimmage (sounds like Ho-Sang was the star of the night) just want to thank everyone for the well wishes for the trip. Before this trip told the boss that after 35 years this was my last, don't have the desire to do the physical training needed anymore so it was like like going out on top.

Here is something that will be of interest to all you real hockey fans. On the shore of Lake Kivu in Rwanda there is a brewery so plenty of beer in the area. The plant is powered by the methane extracted from the lake and in addition to their own beers they also brew Heineken, Guinness and Amstel. For the kids they also make Coca Cola products.

If you want to climb Kilamajaro don't go all the way to the top. Should have quit around 13,000 feet, no matter what physical condition you are in, the altitude does you in. Took 5 days to climb and it's like climbing straight uphill. The mind and body goes in that altitude.

After 6 weeks of living in a tent and sleeping bag it was a reminder how nice home is. Just so happy to be back can't wait to get the hockey season going.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 11:54 AM
StrongIslanders90

Welcome Back Rex!!! Glad to see you make it back and enjoyed your time off. Wasn't the same without you. Looking forward to you joining back up in the madness around here.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Welcome Back Rex!!! Glad to see you make it back and enjoyed your time off. Wasn't the same without you. Looking forward to you joining back up in the madness around here.
Thanks 90, made it back in good shape other than one minor injury, a broken finger but it's fine now. Trying to get caught up with the last 6 weeks, see that all the RFA's are signed, can't wait to get going again.

Old
08-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Strummergas

Welcome back Rex. Sounds like an eventful and interesting trip you had.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Mitchnesses
Hunk of Monkey Love

vCash: 700
Not sure to welcome you back or not. Let's wait 3 weeks ot make sure you don't show signs of EBOLA.

Mitchnesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mitchrock View Post
Not sure to welcome you back or not. Let's wait 3 weeks ot make sure you don't show signs of EBOLA.
Good thing that Tanzania and Rwanda is some 2,000- 3,000 miles away from Liberia.

So, anyway.

DR - I'm glad you did not combine your pursuits of drinking and climbing at high altitude. Welcome home.

Last edited by Dan-o16: 08-14-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 01:08 PM
BroadwayJay
Offcenter Corsiboard

Welcome home!

BroadwayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 02:01 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

welcome back rex.....sounds absolutely amazing....cant wait to get the season started!

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 02:24 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
While on the train back to Albany trying to catch up on the last six weeks after the trip of a lifetime to Africa working on some of the most amazing volcanoes in the world. Hope everyone is having a great summer. While reading about the prospects scrimmage (sounds like Ho-Sang was the star of the night) just want to thank everyone for the well wishes for the trip. Before this trip told the boss that after 35 years this was my last, don't have the desire to do the physical training needed anymore so it was like like going out on top.

Here is something that will be of interest to all you real hockey fans. On the shore of Lake Kivu in Rwanda there is a brewery so plenty of beer in the area. The plant is powered by the methane extracted from the lake and in addition to their own beers they also brew Heineken, Guinness and Amstel. For the kids they also make Coca Cola products.

If you want to climb Kilamajaro don't go all the way to the top. Should have quit around 13,000 feet, no matter what physical condition you are in, the altitude does you in. Took 5 days to climb and it's like climbing straight uphill. The mind and body goes in that altitude.

After 6 weeks of living in a tent and sleeping bag it was a reminder how nice home is. Just so happy to be back can't wait to get the hockey season going.
Welcome back Rex ! Good to have you back my friend, one of the most important posters on the Islander's board. I think you are going to enjoy following some of our new prospects.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Degeneration Rex

Thanks Dan, Enigmatic, Jay and Strummer.

Old
08-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Welcome back Rex ! Good to have you back my friend, one of the most important posters on the Islander's board. I think you are going to enjoy following some of our new prospects.
Great to be back Scott. Reading up on the prospects scrimmage in the old thread on the game, Ho-Sang sounded like he was the star of the game, maybe you can fill me in who looked good. Missed talking prospects with the guys the last 6 weeks, hope you are well and ready to go for the season.

After a six week diet of mainly fruit, veggies and cereal had to run out a get a pizza.

Old
08-14-2014, 02:48 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

Degeneration Rex sounds like a very exciting trip. Glad to have you back.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 02:50 PM
YearlyLottery

I must have forgot you were going away for so long. Sounds like a great time. I was getting nervous I wouldn't have my daily prospect stats!

What you and Scott do (as well as many others) for that prospect thread is great stuff.

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Welcome home Rex. This trip sounded fabulous. Always wanted to go to Africa. Really seems like a hell of a place to be in.

Backhand of Justice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 03:17 PM
scott99

Quote:
Great to be back Scott. Reading up on the prospects scrimmage in the old thread on the game, Ho-Sang sounded like he was the star of the game, maybe you can fill me in who looked good. Missed talking prospects with the guys the last 6 weeks, hope you are well and ready to go for the season.

After a six week diet of mainly fruit, veggies and cereal had to run out a get a pizza.
You last sentence reminds me of my Uncle. When he was in his early 20's, during the Vietnam War, he was based in the Philipines I believe, the first day back in NY after serving for a year, He went to pizzeria and ate a whole pizza, a chicken pamagiana hero, and a 32 ounce Coke. It's something I've always aspired to match, but 5 slices is my record. I can't imagine 8 slices of NY pizza, a chicken parm hero, and half a liter of Coca Cola !

Old
08-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
You last sentence reminds me of my Uncle. When he was in his early 20's, during the Vietnam War, he was based in the Philipines I believe, the first day back in NY after serving for a year, He went to pizzeria and ate a whole pizza, a chicken pamagiana hero, and a 32 ounce Coke. It's something I've always aspired to match, but 5 slices is my record. I can't imagine 8 slices of NY pizza, a chicken parm hero, and half a liter of Coca Cola !
Just do like Yogi Berra, he once told a great story that when he ordered a pizza he told the guy to cut it in 4 slices because he could not eat 8.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:27 PM
scott99

Rex, there was some hockey on last week, the world junior developement camp teams from various countries in a tournament. Got to see Dal Colle play, he looked really good, though he didn't tear it up on the scoresheet. He's obviously very talented and passes the eye test. The one assist I saw him get was a very nifty toe-drag around a defender pass to a wide open teammate in the goal mouth.

Also got to see our 3rd round pick, goalie Ilya Sorokin play for Russia, he played the most of any Russian goalie. Played pretty well, a shutout of the Czechs in the first game were he made some great saves, got bombed for 5 goals against a stacked Canadian team, though most of the goals were solid goals. His last game, against the Swedes, gave up 2 goals in the 1st period and got pulled (last goal was a bad long side goal, played the angle poorly). Another poster hinted that he may have been hurt, may have pulled his groin, and that's why he was pulled. But who knows. I will say, he definitely looks like he can be a good goalie, very calm and cool, as another poster said, not a lot of flopping around (ala Poulin). BUT, I fee he needs to work on his glove, he goes down early leaving a lot of space up top, and was beaten high glove side several times.

It was a lot of fun watching some hockey in August. Hopefully what I've written can hold you over until the real stuff starts.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:28 PM
scott99

Quote:
Just do like Yogi Berra, he once told a great story that when he ordered a pizza he told the guy to cut it in 4 slices because he could not eat 8.
Classic Yogi, I use that line all the time.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Rex, there was some hockey on last week, the world junior developement camp teams from various countries in a tournament. Got to see Dal Colle play, he looked really good, though he didn't tear it up on the scoresheet. He's obviously very talented and passes the eye test. The one assist I saw him get was a very nifty toe-drag around a defender pass to a wide open teammate in the goal mouth.

Also got to see our 3rd round pick, goalie Ilya Sorokin play for Russia, he played the most of any Russian goalie. Played pretty well, a shutout of the Czechs in the first game were he made some great saves, got bombed for 5 goals against a stacked Canadian team, though most of the goals were solid goals. His last game, against the Swedes, gave up 2 goals in the 1st period and got pulled (last goal was a bad long side goal, played the angle poorly). Another poster hinted that he may have been hurt, may have pulled his groin, and that's why he was pulled. But who knows. I will say, he definitely looks like he can be a good goalie, very calm and cool, as another poster said, not a lot of flopping around (ala Poulin). BUT, I fee he needs to work on his glove, he goes down early leaving a lot of space up top, and was beaten high glove side several times.

It was a lot of fun watching some hockey in August. Hopefully what I've written can hold you over until the real stuff starts.
Thanks Scott, hope that one of the goalies drafted finally works out.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:43 PM
StrongIslanders90

Also in case you missed it, Wang is being sued by Barroway !

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Also in case you missed it, Wang is being sued by Barroway !
Wang gets great pleasure out of torturing us.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Darth Milbury is still a girly man.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 03:55 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Hey Welcome Back Rex!!!

Sounds like a great trip.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Hey Welcome Back Rex!!!

Sounds like a great trip.
Thanks PW, great to be home and back talking hockey.

Old
08-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Andong Wang

One of the best posters here..welcome back

Andong Wang is offline   Reply With Quote