HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gillis Co-Hosting 1040 for two hours

Old
07-23-2012, 02:57 PM
keslerburrows

vCash: 500
Love these statements. "He's just better" :laughing:

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
Seems your the only one who has a hard on for Erixon. Is it his 2 assists and his -2 +/- in 18 NHL games? Or his inflated ego that drives him to leave a team because they are not good enough for him?

Why don't you try explaining why Erixon is better then Tanev or even Connauton for that matter?
Because he's at the very least as good defensively, as poised, has better offensive upside, and is a more dynamic player rather than a cog in the machine like Tanev. He's also a year younger and looked a lot better in the AHL than Tanev.

I can guarantee you that there isn't a single scout out there that would take Tanev ahead of Erixon.

Quote:
Love these statements. "He's just better" :laughing:
I posted an opinion of an "expert" on the previous page. A guy who would take Erixon over Murray. Would you take Tanev over Murray? Probably not, so that should tell you something about how good Erixon is.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Because he's at the very least as good defensively, as poised, has better offensive upside, and is a more dynamic player rather than a cog in the machine like Tanev. He's also a year younger and looked a lot better in the AHL than Tanev.

I can guarantee you that there isn't a single scout out there that would take Tanev ahead of Erixon.
i think some scouts in calgary might disagree re: their team

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Why is a Gillis on team 1040 kind of being taken over by Erixon chat?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
i think some scouts in calgary might disagree re: their team
The difference is that Erixon already has a contract. Unless you think he wants to play in SEL or KHL, what exactly is he going to do? Sit out the rest of his career?

Old
07-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
that was fantastic, some great questions.

Hope he does this more often

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Seems your the only one who has a hard on for Erixon. Is it his 2 assists and his -2 +/- in 18 NHL games? Or his inflated ego that drives him to leave a team because they are not good enough for him?

Why don't you try explaining why Erixon is better then Tanev or even Connauton for that matter?
Erixon has scored at a higher rate than Connauton in the AHL, and he can actually hold his own in his defensive compared to Connauton who is still shaky in that department. Erixon is in another league, hockey wise, he might be an arse that doesn't want to play for Calgary, but that doesn't make him a worse hockey player. And you are complaining about his lack of production in the NHL, but doesn't have a problem with Tanev not producing? Erixon had a tough start in the NHL, and Tanev is probably better defensively right now at the NHL level, but Erixons upside is higher. As Tiranis quoted, a guy who really knows his stuff about prospects calls him about equal with Ryan Murray.

It's not that Tanev and Connauton are bad prospects, it's just that Erixon is better.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:03 PM
CommonMeans*

I came in here hoping for a recap of GMMG from today - instead people are talking about propsects traded in another deal?

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
-Apparently they had Kassian "going to many places and doing a bunch of things" this offseason... How vague is this, Gillis!?
One of those places was training in the states at Nike with a bunch of other prospects.

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
One of those places was training in the states at Nike with a bunch of other prospects.
Was that from the interview or was there an article somewhere else? Thanks in advance!

Old
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
I love the whole moneypuck discussion they had. Much more interesting than rehashing the same old topics.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:09 PM
keslerburrows

When available, someone please post link

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wisp

Quote:
Was that from the interview or was there an article somewhere else? Thanks in advance!
Not from the interview. Was news from a few weeks ago.

Kassian even had a jumping-lunge off with Hope Solo (which she won).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbsma9gB3LY

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
trytobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I love the whole moneypuck discussion they had. Much more interesting than rehashing the same old topics.
Would be grateful if you could offer a summary!

trytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Not from the interview. Was news from a few weeks ago.

Kassian even had a jumping-lunge off with Hope Solo (which she won).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbsma9gB3LY
Not very controlled. Kassian put a ton more effort into his than she did into hers. Interesting stuff... wonder what else he's been doing.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Not very controlled. Kassian put a ton more effort into his than she did into hers. Interesting stuff... wonder what else he's been doing.
Kassian was exploding though, Hope looked less dynamic in her movement. Not to mention the extra 100+ lbs.

Kassian definitely looks leaner, but I enjoyed watching Ms. Solo a bit more.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytobe View Post
Would be grateful if you could offer a summary!
I'm not an expert at things like advanced statistics, so I won't be a very good summariser. Still going to give it a try though.

Gillis was asked if there was a similar statistic in hockey to baseball's on-base percentage. He said there wasn't ONE statistic, but rather, it was a combination of stats; such as quality of competition, shot count, shot quality, shot placement etc.

This continued onto how exactly to calcuate a player's effectiveness on the ice. Talked about how difficult it was to guage a player's fatigue level during the course of a game; said fatigue level was crucial in determining how effective the player will be. Hits in hockey are a huge factor in fatigue levels, as when a hit is made, there are actually (usually) two hits: when the player is hit by the opposing player, and when (if) the player hits the boards/ice/etc. This all factors into things like defencemen making a mistake late into the third period.

Another interesting tibit is how Gillis differentiates great from good defencemen: a great first outlet pass.

That's all I remember from listening in the car.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:36 PM
medhatcanuck

Wow everything I read was super positive. It better be because Sather just started an arm's race.

If anyone can post a link so I can listen or have a detailed summary, is that a oxymoron?

Thank you I appreciate anybodies help.

Frankie Corrado
Corrado is a nice surprise, nice to hear Gillis say that about our goaltending. I think if I was to overanalyze the situation, that if he believes Corrado has a chance to make the team, he is putting pressure on Lack to step up his game and not make him too comfortable, by not handing him the backup role. This is very good and best case is Corrado starts for wolves. and Lack backs up Schneids.

Eddie Lack
Good to hear he will re-up and him turning down the QO isn't a standoff, saying it's NHL or Europe. Again if I were to overanalyze, based on his Luo and Corrado comments, if Lack has a good camp, he has a chance to be our backup.

Luongo
Confirmed by Gillis. Outta here.

Kesler
Again, great news. If he is back before expected it would be nice for him to get use to his new RWer. People who think he is being rushed, you really think Gillis/AV and co. need Kesler that desperatly. This is also great because he won't be back immediately to give a shot for the young kids.

Schroeder
Good to hear that Gillis thinks Schroeder has a chance to prove himself at camp and either become a stop-gap or a full time NHL player. Schroeder played PK in Chicago and could really put some pressure on Manny or Lappy.

Connauton
Great. I personally hope he replaces Ballard. Connauton IS offensive and has a cannon. he is also jacked and looks like he could handle the boardplay of the NHL. Connauton and Tanev played together with the Wolves, and I don't know why I thought this but I thougt he was much the same as McIver or one of those AHL guys.
Connauton played for the Giants, 2 years in the AHL and now is ready for NHL duty. Cannot wait to see him play 2nd PP with Tanev or Bieksa.

Overall some good stuff. Again, I would appreciate if I missed anything. Canucks nerd reporting in.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Wow everything I read was super positive. It better be because Sather just started an arm's race.

If anyone can post a link so I can listen or have a detailed summary, is that a oxymoron?

Thank you I appreciate anybodies help.

Frankie Corrado
Corrado is a nice surprise, nice to hear Gillis say that about our goaltending. I think if I was to overanalyze the situation, that if he believes Corrado has a chance to make the team, he is putting pressure on Lack to step up his game and not make him too comfortable, by not handing him the backup role. This is very good and best case is Corrado starts for wolves. and Lack backs up Schneids.
Isn't Corrado a Dman?

Old
07-23-2012, 03:39 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Isn't Corrado a Dman?
Yes

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:40 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Isn't Corrado a Dman?
Yep.

medhat's probably thinking of Cannata.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
medhatcanuck

Also discouraged him not covering too much about Jensen or Gaunce. Would have been more encouraging him to act like a kid talking about the readiness of these two to step in. Did Gillis talk about these guys at all?

Also good to hear they like Kassian's attitude. Tools, attitude, and skill. Kassian just needs grooming.

Old
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Isn't Corrado a Dman?
lolcats my bad.

I honest to god was thinking about cantanna.

i'm not as stupid as i sound, i swaer.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Jevo

Quote:
I'm not an expert at things like advanced statistics, so I won't be a very good summariser. Still going to give it a try though.

Gillis was asked if there was a similar statistic in hockey to baseball's on-base percentage. He said there wasn't ONE statistic, but rather, it was a combination of stats; such as quality of competition, shot count, shot quality, shot placement etc.

This continued onto how exactly to calcuate a player's effectiveness on the ice. Talked about how difficult it was to guage a player's fatigue level during the course of a game; said fatigue level was crucial in determining how effective the player will be. Hits in hockey are a huge factor in fatigue levels, as when a hit is made, there are actually (usually) two hits: when the player is hit by the opposing player, and when (if) the player hits the boards/ice/etc. This all factors into things like defencemen making a mistake late into the third period.

Another interesting tibit is how Gillis differentiates great from good defencemen: a great first outlet pass.

That's all I remember from listening in the car.
Sounds really interesting. I'll try to find it in the podcast when/if it comes up.

And I think he's right in saying that it's not as "easy" as just having an on-base percentage, like in baseball which is a very static game compared to hockey which is very fluid, so you have to take several factors into account in order to get the same kind of result. And in baseball you can practically put a number on everything, you can find out what is most likely to happen when player y hits on a fastball in position x inside the strike zone, because you will most likely have a fairly big sample size since everything happens in statics. While in hockey you can't really put the same kind of number on a slapshot from the point, since there are 9 other skaters and 2 goalies on the ice who will most likely be in a different position and moving differently than they did in 99.9% of the sample size. So hockey is just a harder game to put into numbers than baseball, which is probably why you don't hear much of term completely similar to Sabremetrics.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 03:41 PM
thefeebster

All they covered about Gaunce and Jensen was a little bit about draft talk. A lot of emphasis in MG's voice when he said they were surprised Jensen would be there when they selected and felt Gaunce slid to them as.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote