HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Like the trade, don't like the trade

View Poll Results: Do you like the trade for Nash?
Yes 397 90.23%
No 43 9.77%
Voters: 440. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
ltrangerfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaitingIsOverCK View Post
Fixed that for ya
Much appreciated.

Clearly, I was in error.

What was I thinking?

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
yes it is extreme. I can't do any better than RB. I watched every game Duby and AA have played since coming into the league, like many of you. I had high hopes for Duby, but he is what he is. I'll miss him, but i don't kid myself about his game. He can't break the 2nd line. Never cared much for AA, outside of flashes of brilliance. He doesn't seem to know if he's coming or going half the time.

We are deep at D, so i'm not worrying about Erixon, or the 1st in 2013. The "big contract" strawman arguement has been defeated many times on this board. I have no interest in superstitions that hold back many minds here.

Elite, top talent leads where others can follow. No where to go if it isn't there. The mere addition of Richards had an affect felt throughout the lineup. Krieder as well. Nash is huge.
Again, I like the trade. IMO it hurts our depth but it'll be worth it.

I just wouldn't say "only a fool..."

That was my point. Until they lace 'em up... It's an opinion.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dubinsky and AA are good players. I'm not a big Nash guy but I'm not stupid. If the deal involved Kreider or Stepan or McD or DZ,no deal. The Rangers matched up the money. AA will be arb eligible next July. Unless the PA completely folds and arbitration is gone,AA will get very good money in the very near future. $3M-$4M. Howson has a tendency to overpay his players so AA is looking at a decent raise just because he was in the Nash trade. Gandler will use the KHL as leverage. Nash should be very good in NY. Good group of guys. Excellent leadership. Torts will push him. Nash responded well to Hitch. Nash doesn't have many miles on him. No major injuries. When the Rangers acquired Messier in 91,he was 30 but he was an old 30. Messier played in so many playoff games and Canada Cups. Nash is a young 28. You have two big strong wingers like Nash and Kreider. Richards and Stepan in the middle. Add Callahan. The Rangers have 5/6 of their top six forwards in place for a while. Throw in the Rangers D and Henrik. The Rangers should be a good team for a while.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Nash will have to forget how to play hockey for the Rangers to lose this deal. Sather and Gorton eliminated most of the downsides and risks.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Again, I like the trade. IMO it hurts our depth but it'll be worth it.

I just wouldn't say "only a fool..."

That was my point. Until they lace 'em up... It's an opinion.
if there were ever a trade in which we clearly won this, was it. hands down. the consensus in the hockey world is the rangers win. the minority disagree, for personal reasons, none of which are consequential.

To say that it is merely an opinion that this trade improves us, is an empty statement, that is easily turned on its head. I believe that is due to some of the hit that Nash's brand has taken over the course of trade talks/his situation during his career. people just see him as a 30/30 player.

if you take your "until they lace em' up" theory and apply it to players with notoriety like a Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, etc. you soon see that it's a given that those players don't have to prove themselves. I'm not saying that Nash is necessarily on their level or doesn't have to prove himself, but he would as RB says have to completely forget how to play hockey in order to make this deal bad.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:42 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
if there were ever a trade in which we clearly won this, was it. hands down. the consensus in the hockey world is the rangers win. the minority disagree, for personal reasons, none of which are consequential.

To say that it is merely an opinion that this trade improves us, is an empty statement, that is easily turned on its head. I believe that is due to some of the hit that Nash's brand has taken over the course of trade talks/his situation during his career. people just see him as a 30/30 player.

if you take your "until they lace em' up" theory and apply it to players with notoriety like a Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, etc. you soon see that it's a given that those players don't have to prove themselves. I'm not saying that Nash is necessarily on their level or doesn't have to prove himself, but he would as RB says have to completely forget how to play hockey in order to make this deal bad.
If there was ever a trade the Rangers made that they definitely won it was the Gomez deal.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:48 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If there was ever a trade the Rangers made that they definitely won it was the Gomez deal.
Agreed!, but only in hindsight. At the time Gomez for Higgins was a win for MTL, sure McD was the top prospect in their org. but did anyone know he would turn out to be a stud? Maybe some did, but not me. He could have easily been a Gilroy.

Now even Higgins over Gomez is a win. pretty sad. I liked Gomez as a ranger, but i like Gaborik and McD, lots, lots more.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:52 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Agreed!, but only in hindsight. At the time Gomez for Higgins was a win for MTL, sure McD was the top prospect in their org. but did anyone know he would turn out to be a stud? Maybe some did, but not me. He could have easily been a Gilroy.

Now even Higgins over Gomez is a win. pretty sad. I liked Gomez as a ranger, but i like Gaborik and McD, lots, lots more.
Are you kidding? The Gomez deal was a win from the start. Getting that contract off our books and a mediocre player off our roster was huge. Getting it off the books while getting good assets in return? An absolute steal.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:59 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

No way dude. Gomez was underachieving and making HUGE money. The only people who thought it was a win for the Habs at all were Hab fans, when they had their miracle Halak-fueled run to the ECF. Habs fans also thought Gomez allowed them to sign Gionta, which now in hindsight looks even worse.

I don't know, I never thought the Habs won that trade. The day we got rid of Gomez is still one of my happiest post-lockout memories.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
That's not even the best trade Sather has made in his tenure.

Carter for Jagr at half salary.

But I agree with you, otherwise. Both of those deals rate higher to me than this one, because both were wins on the day they were made (the Gomez one for salary reasons, allowing us to sign Gaborik a few days later). I've come around to this trade. How could you not? Nash is just such a great player. But it's not an easy win. This one will be a hindsight win.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

This doesn't come close to Gomez. Here, we gave up two very legitimate depth players (albeit one was overpaid) for a guy who put up 59 points this season. There's some risk this could backfire.

There was NO risk Gomez could backfire. Gomez was AWFUL here and making way too much money. Plus we got one of the Habs best prospects in the deal? Even if McD was a bust or turned out to be a 3rd pairing d-man we STILL win that trade.

The Gomez trade is the biggest fleece in the post-lockout NHL.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
That's not even the best trade Sather has made in his tenure.

Carter for Jagr at half salary.

But I agree with you, otherwise. Both of those deals rate higher to me than this one, because both were wins on the day they were made (the Gomez one for salary reasons, allowing us to sign Gaborik a few days later). I've come around to this trade. How could you not? Nash is just such a great player. But it's not an easy win. This one will be a hindsight win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
This doesn't come close to Gomez. Here, we gave up two very legitimate depth players (albeit one was overpaid) for a guy who put up 59 points this season. There's some risk this could backfire.

There was NO risk Gomez could backfire. Gomez was AWFUL here and making way too much money. Plus we got one of the Habs best prospects in the deal? Even if McD was a bust or turned out to be a 3rd pairing d-man we STILL win that trade.

yea, i guess all in all the Gomez deal trumps this one but ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAeD3...layer_embedded

Old
08-01-2012, 02:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

The last week of June 2009 is one my happiest times as a Ranger fan. Draft Kreider, dump Gomez, add McDonagh...just awesome.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
This deal excited me more than the Gomez one...but 1) I wasn't nearly as educated on the cap back then as I am now and 2) I didn't know much about McDonagh.

Nash has been my favorite player for years...this is a pretty big deal for me. When I saw the thread stickied here, I was hyperventilating.

It may not be his best, but, for me, it was his most exciting trade.

08-01-2012, 02:37 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
This deal excited me more than the Gomez one...but 1) I wasn't nearly as educated on the cap back then as I am now and 2) I didn't know much about McDonagh.

Nash has been my favorite player for years...this is a pretty big deal for me. When I saw the thread stickied here, I was hyperventilating.

It may not be his best, but, for me, it was his most exciting trade.
++++++1

Old
08-01-2012, 02:49 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Sure, on paper we win this trade. But what if Dubi has a 25G/30A season and Artie puts up 20G/25A? Did we win the deal hands down if Nash scores 33G and has 33A? Not sure I'd agree with that, considering we also gave up a kid who could easily be a top 4 dman and a 1st round pick to boot. So yeah, can say hands down that we got the best player...but I think it's a bit premature to talk about how badly we fleeced Columbus when none of the 5 players involved have played a single game for their new teams.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sure, on paper we win this trade. But what if Dubi has a 25G/30A season and Artie puts up 20G/25A?.
If that did happen, and its a big if, it'd be because Dubinsky and Anisimov are go-to forwards now on a terrible team. They'll be getting all the ice time they could ask for.

Even if Nash barely ourscores them (I think he'll score more goals than the two of them combined) the extra attention he'd be getting from the opposition would be worth it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Artie and Dubi wouldn't be having 25g/50p season here. Not from the third line, where they'd be.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Artie and Dubi wouldn't be having 25g/50p season here. Not from the third line, where they'd be.
There's no guarantee that Dubi would spend the entire season on the 3rd line, particularly if he was having a season that more closely resembled his performance from 2 years ago.

And Artie's averaged 15 goals a year during the past 3. I'm not saying it would be likely that he scores 20...but it's possible.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I'm one of those who doesn't believe a 40 goal scorer is worth the same as two guys who net 20.

Even if on paper the players are a wash when it comes to scoring, I don't think you can discount the attention the 40 goal scorer generates, thus opening up time and space for his teammates.

The Rangers have two legit 40 goal scorers on their roster. Playing them on seperate lines opens up a lot of space for other teammates and doesn't allow a team to stack their defense on one unit.

Even if AA and Dubi combine for more goals than Nash, I still just don't see it as a wash because it changes the entire dynamic of the team and forces opposing teams to really have to play a good game to contain the Rangers offense.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Kershaw

I read the 61 thoughts by Portzline and here are some parts that are concerning:

Quote:
....one moment stands out in particular for me with Nash as a professional, as the club’s captain. Three seasons ago, Los Angeles defenseman Rob Scuderi low-bridged Jackets winger Jason Chimera as Chimera carried the puck into the zone. The hit was well outside the norm for Scuderi, but it could not have been dirtier. Nash was the first guy to arrive at the scene, and he simply put his glove-covered hand on Scuderi’s shoulder. That’s the moment where the score and situation don’t matter, where the first order of business is stepping up for your teammate. It needed to happen instantaneously. It was an opportunity lost, and it wasn’t the only time that happened with regard to Nash not physically sticking up for a teammate. Nobody in the room was willing to talk about it in the days that followed – this is the captain, says the code – but believe me: they all took note.
Quote:
The club he’s struggled most against in New Jersey, with 1-1-2 minus-8 in six games.
Quote:
After lousy games, he would make comments such as “we just didn’t have it” or “we weren’t ready to play” or “it’s unacceptable”, etc. Nash meant well with these words. Without hurting feelings in the room, he was trying to express to fans that he recognized the situation. But when the ugly losses become routine, saying they’re “unacceptable” becomes meaningless. He needed, at times, to be stronger and more specific. Otherwise, it just adds to the fans frustration.
Quote:
Nash said he asked for a trade to help the Jackets with their rebuilding effort, like it was an act of charity. Puhlease. Many have countered that thought with a “well, what is he supposed to say?” Here’s one possibility: “I’m 28 years old. I’ve played 10 seasons of pro hockey. Very few players, especially power forwards, are lucky enough to play 20 years. We haven’t won here, and it looks now like we’re a few seasons away, at least. I don’t want to wait that long, and there are no guarantees. Management has told me they plan to rebuild the franchise. If that’s the case, I think I need to move on. I want to be traded.”
This is the thing that stuck out to me before the trade. ^

Quote:
Nash needed to learn to trust his linemates to create offense, not just do it all himself. (On playing line with Federov and Zherdev)
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-thoughts.html

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sure, on paper we win this trade. But what if Dubi has a 25G/30A season and Artie puts up 20G/25A? Did we win the deal hands down if Nash scores 33G and has 33A? Not sure I'd agree with that, considering we also gave up a kid who could easily be a top 4 dman and a 1st round pick to boot. So yeah, can say hands down that we got the best player...but I think it's a bit premature to talk about how badly we fleeced Columbus when none of the 5 players involved have played a single game for their new teams.
i never said we fleeced them. I said we won the trade. They did get back a fair return. Nash means more to this team NOW than those players did in our system, even if they go on to eventually hit those #s at some point in their careers.

We can bring in 2/3rd line players anytime. You can just acquire a top 3 talent like Rick Nash whenever you feel like it. He is an elite player. a game breaking talent.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:07 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I read the 61 thoughts by Portzline and here are some parts that are concerning:

This is the thing that stuck out to me before the trade. ^

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-thoughts.html

oh no, this is bad. can you forward this special report to Sather? maybe they can revoke the trade. Whew! Good thing you found this! you cracked the case wide open! good job!

Old
08-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

The only reason this trade doesn't come close to the Gomez-trade (yet) is because it was only weeks ago that the trade was finalized. In 2 years we can think about this trade being even bigger than the Gomez-dump. Time will tell.

Amazing Kreiderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
None of that is concerning, unless you consider a journalist behaving like a jilted schoolgirl relevant.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote