HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Burke holding out for 2013 UFA crop of Getzlaf and Perry?

Old
07-23-2012, 05:57 PM
CodeBlue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Neither Getzlaf or Perry will make it to FA, not a chance! NO WAY!

They will be re-signed or traded if not. No way Murray takes that chance after watching Schultz walk away! Again that is another player that Burke wanted desperately and thought he had in the bag!
And you know for a fact that Burke thought he had Schultz in the bag? Grow up.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:00 PM
LeafsAllDay

There is not enough certainty with players going to Free Agency these days. Star players either re-sign with their current team or go to a contender who pays top dollar. If Burke really wants Getzlaf or Perry he will likely have to acquire them through trade.

LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:04 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Umm The team has nothing to look forward too but Burke adding more 4th liners are trying to pass them off as superstars.
JVR is a 4th liner now? I guess the likes of Kadri, Rielly, Finn, etc. are nothing to look forward to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L
Look forward to another bottom 5 finish and Burke running his big mouth how he "didn't like the prices" or "not happy with the long contracts" and so on. BUT guess what those are the team that are wining the Stanley Cup! and Burkes team could very well be the worst in the entire NHL.
Which teams are those exactly?

Old
07-23-2012, 06:04 PM
LeafsAllDay

I think Burke is saving cap space because of the CBA and because there weren't any good deals available to us.

LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:06 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAllDay View Post
I think Burke is saving cap space because of the CBA and because there weren't any good deals available to us.
According to T M L, the Leafs should be offering Parise/Suter type deals to every FA.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:11 PM
Cmillz

I don't believe either will reach UFA. NO GM plans for next years UFA crop.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:12 PM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
The guy(Homer) is actually right. There are good top 5 prospects almost every year in the draft do you guys want us to tank every year? We have not been in the playoffs since the pre lock out. If we are in the top 5 of the draft again this year I second the notion of his arse being fired.
So your suggesting Burke trades his young players and prospects to get older more proven players who are probably not even available just to make the playoffs??? If not how exactly do you suggest he pulls off this miracle of filling the toughest holes on his roster to fill??? Here's the way I see it. The Leafs two biggest holes are at the number one center position and goaltending. These are the two hardest holes to fill by far as teams almost never part with these players, and when they do they want a kings ransom for them.

Would you rather make the playoffs for the next 10 years and be a good team or miss and draft high for the next 3 or 4 years and then possibly win the cup with a great team? IMO the Leafs are going to be a bad team next year. I can see this, I can except this, and I sure hope Burke doesn't get fired because of this. Don't get me wrong, I hope Burke can pull a rabbit out of his a$$ and change the Leafs fortunes for good, at the same time, he can't go trading the Leafs young players for quick fixes as thats why we are here in this mess in the first place. Being bad for another year or two won't be the end of the world and in the long run will probably be for the best. I sure hope Burke doesn't get fired for actually being patient with this young Leafs team, building with youth and patiently adding young peices is a huge change of pace for this Leafs organization.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
T M L
The Big Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
JVR is a 4th liner now? I guess the likes of Kadri, Rielly, Finn, etc. are nothing to look forward to?

Which teams are those exactly?
JVR was a bust in Philly with numerous injuries. He had few good playoff games 3 years ago that some of the delusional Leafs fans feed off. He was not a top 6 there and won't be here.

Kadri was drafted 3 years ago and has still yet to crack the NHL line up! He was drafted 7th overall behind the likes of Tavares, Duchene, Kane, B Schenn who have been all impact players already! Some are already calling Kadri a bust. ( I like the kid and hope he rips it up)

Reilly? 5th overall, Burke might eat crow on this one! yet again!

Not sure what optimism you are seeing, but it is just not on paper. This team is bad! One of the worst in the league!

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:19 PM
T M L
The Big Smoke

Quote:
According to T M L, the Leafs should be offering Parise/Suter type deals to every FA.
YES, absolutely! Do what it takes to land the best of the best! Don't just sit on the side and cry while all you can acquire is 4th line garbage.

If the Wild win a cup in the next few seasons, you will know why! They have a great team now.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:21 PM
WWB

Quote:
JVR was a bust in Philly with numerous injuries. He had few good playoff games 3 years ago that some of the delusional Leafs fans feed off. He was not a top 6 there and won't be here.

Kadri was drafted 3 years ago and has still yet to crack the NHL line up! He was drafted 7th overall behind the likes of Tavares, Duchene, Kane, B Schenn who have been all impact players already! Some are already calling Kadri a bust. ( I like the kid and hope he rips it up)

Not sure what optimism you are seeing, but it is just not on paper. This team is bad! One of the worst in the league!
You must be the best scout in the world if you already know how all these players will pan out. Unfortunatly real life profesional scouts seem to think very different from you so I think I will put a little faith in them instead!!!

Old
07-23-2012, 06:23 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:

Now you're just spewing out crap. On what basis have you deemed Kadri a bust? Just because he isn't an All-Star at the ripe age of 21? B. Schenn has been nowhere near an impact player, Duchene just came off an injury-stricken season. I won't even dignify your comment about Rielly with an actual response. You are clueless, plain and simple.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

I hope not because if you're hoping for those to make it to UFA and sign with you because you NEED those guys to fill the holes, then that's a pretty terrible plan. I'm not sure why they would come here either.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:24 PM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
I don't believe either will reach UFA. NO GM plans for next years UFA crop.
Actually I'm pretty sure I heard GM Chuck Fletcher say in an interview that he and his management team were planning on trying to sign Parise and Suter for over a year. Not sure if I will be able to find a link to that interview or not, but I will look and see.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
YES, absolutely! Do what it takes to land the best of the best! Don't just sit on the side and cry while all you can acquire is 4th line garbage.

If the Wild win a cup in the next few seasons, you will know why! They have a great team now.
Oh, so now you're saying in the next few seasons? Don't stop there, just say they'll win a Cup next season. It's obvious that's what your crystal ball is telling you.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
rimshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeafer2011 View Post
Really how many of these big name reach free agency? Answer: Never

We don't need another year of hyping a player who will most likely not even reach the market let alone here.
Parise and Suter say hello.

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:26 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Umm NO, it is clearly evident that no one relevant wants to play here. Burke has failed at every good UFA he has tried to land. He is a NO factor now. He has taken what little there is left of this historic franchise and made a complete mess if it. The team has nothing to look forward too but Burke adding more 4th liners are trying to pass them off as superstars.

Look forward to another bottom 5 finish and Burke running his big mouth how he "didn't like the prices" or "not happy with the long contracts" and so on. BUT guess what those are the team that are wining the Stanley Cup! and Burkes team could very well be the worst in the entire NHL.
dubinsky-johanson-umberger
foligno-brassard-atkinson
prospal-anisimov-dorsett
gillies-dmac-letestu

Johnson - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Nikitin
Moore/Murray - Aucoin

Bobrovskiy

This is the current blue jackets

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

IF we make a good run for the playoffs and have a solid performance with our team. As well IF he does hit the FA, then we should hope to god that Carlyle has an impact on him as Torts did on Richards.

07-23-2012, 06:30 PM
I Believe

I'm sure Burke will be all over them if one or both happen to make it to FA. No way plans around that though, if they make it to FA it's just a bonus.

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:31 PM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I hope not because if you're hoping for those to make it to UFA and sign with you because you NEED those guys to fill the holes, then that's a pretty terrible plan. I'm not sure why they would come here either.
I don`t think you so much hope they make it, it`s more you keep yourself in a position to add one or both should they be reach ufa.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:42 PM
T M L
The Big Smoke

Quote:
Oh, so now you're saying in the next few seasons? Don't stop there, just say they'll win a Cup next season. It's obvious that's what your crystal ball is telling you.
Minnesota has 10X the team than the Leafs! Not even close.

They will win a Cup before we do! Book it!

Old
07-23-2012, 06:43 PM
T M L
The Big Smoke

Quote:
Now you're just spewing out crap. On what basis have you deemed Kadri a bust? Just because he isn't an All-Star at the ripe age of 21? B. Schenn has been nowhere near an impact player, Duchene just came off an injury-stricken season. I won't even dignify your comment about Rielly with an actual response. You are clueless, plain and simple.
I'm clueless? I think Burke has put a blind fold on you so you can't see what really is happening.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:50 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Minnesota has 10X the team than the Leafs! Not even close.

They will win a Cup before we do! Book it!
Don't try to back track now. You think Minny will win a Cup in the next few seasons because they acquired Parise and Suter. We're not comparing them to the Leafs.

You don't even have the stones to put your money where your mouth is, so now you change your claim.

Btw, where's your proof that Burke thought he had Schultz in the bag?

Old
07-23-2012, 06:55 PM
D3ADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWB View Post
So your suggesting Burke trades his young players and prospects to get older more proven players who are probably not even available just to make the playoffs??? If not how exactly do you suggest he pulls off this miracle of filling the toughest holes on his roster to fill??? Here's the way I see it. The Leafs two biggest holes are at the number one center position and goaltending. These are the two hardest holes to fill by far as teams almost never part with these players, and when they do they want a kings ransom for them.

Would you rather make the playoffs for the next 10 years and be a good team or miss and draft high for the next 3 or 4 years and then possibly win the cup with a great team? IMO the Leafs are going to be a bad team next year. I can see this, I can except this, and I sure hope Burke doesn't get fired because of this. Don't get me wrong, I hope Burke can pull a rabbit out of his a$$ and change the Leafs fortunes for good, at the same time, he can't go trading the Leafs young players for quick fixes as thats why we are here in this mess in the first place. Being bad for another year or two won't be the end of the world and in the long run will probably be for the best. I sure hope Burke doesn't get fired for actually being patient with this young Leafs team, building with youth and patiently adding young peices is a huge change of pace for this Leafs organization.
when did i say that? are you seeing something im not? quit being a bottom teared team is all im saying if this gm cant get us out of the basement than we need another gm who will get us out of it. I dont want our younger players gone but if it means getting better today and for the future i would trade anyone on this team young or OLD.

D3ADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:55 PM
glasses91

vCash: 250
Whos man enough to try and save toronto though really?

It would have to be a duo like Getzlaf and Perry but dream on.

Burke bringing in two Canadian boys whoa crazy.

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
I'm sure Burke will be all over them if one or both happen to make it to FA. No way plans around that though, if they make it to FA it's just a bonus.
I finally realized that umbrella is from Resident Evil I believe?

-----

I hope we just make a good impression this upcoming season, barring a lockout.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote