HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Is Burke holding out for 2013 UFA crop of Getzlaf and Perry?

Old
07-23-2012, 08:19 PM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
Well since its NY's 1st shouldn't the comparable be our 2nd?
Sure but you can't imagine Howson is going to trade the face of the franchise without a 1st. People are already hating on him for the deal. Imagine if it was Kulemin, Grabovsky, Gunnarson and a 2nd. In thoery it might be a better deal but Howson would be fired just for the perception.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:19 PM
CellarDweller0

Personally I don't want Burke to spend on a UFA too early (ala Kessel) and I don't want him to trade assets to acquire a big name until the Leafs are really READY to compete. So far that isn't the case and I doubt this upcoming season will be much different. After this season however, I think it we are either near or at the point where we can start that type of investment.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Sure, Connolly, Komisarek, Liles and so on are not players who have contributed and happen to be American.

No more baggage.
Connolly was a low risk signing, he's a UFA next year. Liles was a good signing. That leaves Komisarek as the odd man out.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:22 PM
LeafsAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Burke isn't holding out for anything. What did the Nash deal and most like it require? A FIRST ROUND PICK. Might be fine for NYR, Philly and others to dangle a 20th overall but the Leafs are dangling a top 5. You don't trade top 5 picks.
Nash wanted to go to a contender. It doesn't matter what we would or wouldn't have done, he wouldn't have waived his no trade clause to come here.

LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Sure but you can't imagine Howson is going to trade the face of the franchise without a 1st. People are already hating on him for the deal. Imagine if it was Kulemin, Grabovsky, Gunnarson and a 2nd. In thoery it might be a better deal but Howson would be fired just for the perception.
Well that would be very narrow minded.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
Well that would be very narrow minded.
It is narrow minded for sure, but to fans 1st rounders are 1st rounders and 2nd rounders are 2nd rounders, even if the difference ends up being only one or two picks. Even for the kids getting drafted, it`s a way bigger deal being a 1st round pick then a 2nd round pick even if one guy is picked at 30 and another at 31.

Last edited by WWB: 07-23-2012 at 08:32 PM.
WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:27 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
Personally I don't want Burke to spend on a UFA too early (ala Kessel) and I don't want him to trade assets to acquire a big name until the Leafs are really READY to compete. So far that isn't the case and I doubt this upcoming season will be much different. After this season however, I think it we are either near or at the point where we can start that type of investment.
Nicely put.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CellarDweller0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Nicely put.
I agree. This should be the Leafs strategy.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:07 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

It would be foolish to sit and wait for specific UFA's to hit the market. However, going into an offseason with plenty of tradable assets and tonnes of cap space isn't a terrible plan.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
It's hard to believe that Toronto has become like a small market team and a place where players don't want to go to. But there is moves that could be made but I think Burke is going to throw this season away and get one more top pick and go all in next off season on UFA's Perry and Getzlaf. We have even more cap space next season and it looks to be a a better free agent group.
That doesnt make sense at all. In all likelyhood, those players wont even be there. A team cant plan like that.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
Looking at Capgeek we have

20 million in cap space next season with

Steckel
MacArthur
Lupul
Bozak
Connoly
Lombardi
as unrestricted free agents

We have Gunnarson and Holzer as RFA's(not to mentions the RFA prospects like Kadri who could make a push for a spot)

Now some of those UFA's will be gone and replaced with cheaper players(Connoly and Lombardi for example will free up 7-8 million) But still you got Lupul who will need more money if he keeps up this pace and you'll need to sign players or call up players to replace some of those forwards. Getzlaf and Perry will demand top dollar like Parise and Suter did. They will comand a 14 million cap hit combined minimum. And who knows how the new CBA will affect that.

Aneheim on the other hand will have 41 million in cap space, not to mention the other teams who will have enormous space and have better rosters. We can not hope to land big name free agents just because we throw money at them, they havn't been picking us over other teams who offer the same amount. We've always had to overpay before, now we have to actually build a decent rod before we can land the big fish.
They have 29+ million. That does not take into consideration a possible salary roll back and an increase in the cap. They could possIbly have 35+ million avalible.

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:53 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
when did i say that? are you seeing something im not? quit being a bottom teared team is all im saying if this gm cant get us out of the basement than we need another gm who will get us out of it. I dont want our younger players gone but if it means getting better today and for the future i would trade anyone on this team young or OLD.
9th-12th place team or basement/ with this team I'll take basement. I love this position. If we make the playoffs great finally! If we bottom out great adding some nice top talent (Mackinnom please) worst case scenario is 9th-12th

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Hyperglide

Yes next year is our year.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:23 PM
GreekLeafer

Quote:
Umm NO, it is clearly evident that no one relevant wants to play here. Burke has failed at every good UFA he has tried to land. He is a NO factor now. He has taken what little there is left of this historic franchise and made a complete mess if it. The team has nothing to look forward too but Burke adding more 4th liners are trying to pass them off as superstars.

Look forward to another bottom 5 finish and Burke running his big mouth how he "didn't like the prices" or "not happy with the long contracts" and so on. BUT guess what those are the team that are wining the Stanley Cup! and Burkes team could very well be the worst in the entire NHL.
Wait, so the mess Burke inherited is LESS than the mess that the franchise currently is? Hahahaha

GreekLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:31 PM
GreekLeafer

Quote:
JVR was a bust in Philly with numerous injuries. He had few good playoff games 3 years ago that some of the delusional Leafs fans feed off. He was not a top 6 there and won't be here.

Kadri was drafted 3 years ago and has still yet to crack the NHL line up! He was drafted 7th overall behind the likes of Tavares, Duchene, Kane, B Schenn who have been all impact players already! Some are already calling Kadri a bust. ( I like the kid and hope he rips it up)

Reilly? 5th overall, Burke might eat crow on this one! yet again!

Not sure what optimism you are seeing, but it is just not on paper. This team is bad! One of the worst in the league!
Schenn had ONE impact game in the playoffs and Kadri has a better point per game avg than Schenn with a far worse roster. Get your **** straight.

How do you know Reilly won't be good or not? You don't know **** all.

And last but not least, it's too early to write off JVR.

What a terrible post

GreekLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:41 AM
darrylsittler27

Some true ,some not.

JVR - injury case?
Kadri - over rated.
Reilly not over rated,bound to win some.This kid is real,get used to it.
Reimer - Fell apart,needs vet presence.
Gardiner - will be really good,in 2 years.

I agree with your post,but not on Reilly.Burke got that one right,he is an elite talent on defense.Closest thing we have ever had?Berard before Hossa incident.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:49 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I'm certain Burke hopes this is the case. And lets assume that Anaheim who is rather unlikely to challenge for a playoff spot, for some odd reason does not
a. Extend Getz or Perry and
b. Forgets to Trade Getz or Perry at the trade deadline

Than the next excuses need to be answered
1. Why would they join a non-competitive team like the leafs over a cup contender?
2. Why would they join a team not willing to give a long term retirement contract?

But if all those fail go right than yes Burke's strategy will work out.
1. I could think of worst places to play than between Lupul and Kessel. Not sure what their relationship was like with Carlyle / Burke beforehand, but since you seem to know so much about the two, and what they want, maybe you could fill us in?
2. Why do you assume 10+ year retirement contracts will still exist post CBA?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:12 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
They have 29+ million. That does not take into consideration a possible salary roll back and an increase in the cap. They could possIbly have 35+ million avalible.
IIRC the new CBA could have a roll-back and the cap should go DOWN not up.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:20 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Yes, Burke is holding out. Just like the TD, everyone should get their hopes up base on pointless speculation from sources that have nothing to do with MLSE and blame Burke when their dreams don't come true.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:33 AM
FakeKidPoker*

You cannot depend on Free Agency to fix your team.

How many players have fans been hyping up the Leafs to get since Burke arrived?

The Sedins, Richards, Kovalchuck, Nash (didnt make it close to free agency but was available through trade.)

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:51 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
the names change, but it's the same story year after year in leafland...
Srsly, if Leafs fans start with this crap again I'm gonna lose my mind.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:54 AM
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out

vCash: 400
The Leafs should hold out for Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:17 AM
KapG

RIELLY. The ****ing "I" comes before the "E". Is it really that hard to spell the kids name correctly?

As for Burke waiting for the next crop of UFAs. Isn't that what some of you have been saying EVERY year? I'll believe it when I actually see it.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Center Ice Scrum

vCash: 50
Haven't read through thread so I apologize if I repeat someone else's points.

I was wondering if we can package a deal to land Bobby Ryan this off-season and next summer make a run at Perry and Getzlaf. I know we have around 25+ mil or so in cap space with a few players to resign next summer so..

In my hypothetical world,

1. Resign Lupul and Bozak - 8 mil total in cap? Leaves us with around 17+ mil
2. Acquire Bobby Ryan for Kadri, Bozak, Macarthur and Kulemin
3. Next summer: Sign Perry and Getzlaf for $6.5-7.5 mil contracts for 6 years

Roll out this lineup in 2013-14

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Kessel - Grabo - Lupul
Frattin - Colborne - JVR
D'Amigo - MacClement - Ross/ Broll

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gards - Gunnar
Holzer - Liles/ Franson/ Percy/ Blacker

Reimer (could upgrade by selling the farm plus 1st round picks for a good young proven goalie but none comes to mind that is available)
Owuya

EDIT: Oh and re-hire Ronny Wilson so we can run n gun with this offensive juggernaut.

Adding in more hypothetical trade scenarios.
Ryan for Bozak, Ashton, Kadri, MacArthur
Bernier for Scrivens/ Owuya, 2nd rd, Frattin

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Kessel - Grabo - Lupul
Kulemin - Colborne - JVR
D'Amigo - MacClement - Ross/ Broll

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gards - Gunnar
Holzer - Liles/ Franson/ Percy/ Blacker

Bernier
Reimer

Last edited by Center Ice Scrum: 07-24-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Center Ice Scrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:42 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
1. I could think of worst places to play than between Lupul and Kessel. Not sure what their relationship was like with Carlyle / Burke beforehand, but since you seem to know so much about the two, and what they want, maybe you could fill us in?
2. Why do you assume 10+ year retirement contracts will still exist post CBA?
Your first question is unclear but the crux of it is, I don't see Getzlaf or Perry all that excited about jumping from one non-playoff team to another.

As for 10 year retirement contracts, to me it is more reasonable to assume that they will persist in some form rather than be eliminated altogether. Why are you so certain that the contracts will not exist?

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote