HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Burke holding out for 2013 UFA crop of Getzlaf and Perry?

Old
07-26-2012, 07:07 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 500
I think both Perry and Getzlaf will be signed long term before the season starts. Don't think Anaheim would risk finding them self in the same situation as NJD or Nashville have been in.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Larcos_Unal

Burke will be gone by the time these guys hit the market.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:14 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
I think both Perry and Getzlaf will be signed long term before the season starts. Don't think Anaheim would risk finding them self in the same situation as NJD or Nashville have been in.
Issue with Parise was that he decided before his last season even started that he would be testing free agency. New Jersey just happened to keep him for their playoff push, which nearly worked.

Its a luxury for players to be able to control your own fate in an off-season.

If they want out, there will be no contract they'd be willing to sign to stay in Anaheim, especially considering the Ducks are a budget team at this point.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:15 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Would you like to have a freindly wager that Perry hits UFA.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
satyr9

Next year's FA's are impossible to prognosticate about re-signing IMO because a ton of it is CBA contingent. Sure GMs still signed UFA's in the dark, because they had to to get/keep them, but if you're under contract for next season, there's no reason for the team (and in some cases probably the player too) to push hard to re-sign a guy now. If I was a player I'd be doing all in my power to get a nice retirement extension before they flip the rules (if they don't limit term severly I'll be floored), but unless your name is Crosby (probably another 3-5 guys with that kind of value/leverage) you can't get a team to do those deals now if they control you for '12-'13 season.

If you're a Leafs fan you hope that leads to some bitterness that causes these guys to walk away and matches up with a lot of freed up cap space, but I wouldn't bet on it going that way. And you're going to have to trade for them almost assuredly anyway as I can't see too many of these players sticking past the trade deadline without a deal in place.

satyr9 is offline   Reply With Quote