HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need help deciding on which Pens game to go to

Old
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

vCash: 500
Need help deciding on which Pens game to go to

Hey all,

I'm going on a vacation for a week around 10/8/12 to Vermont (from Missouri). I'm working out a way to pass through Pittsburgh because I've never been there and would love to watch a Pens game outside of against the Blues (obviously, this is assuming there is a season). My two options currently are:

Friday 10/12 v Islanders: Home opener, at Pittsburgh, in front of the Pittsburgh crowd

Thursday 10/18 v Flyers: In Philly, but would be great rivalry game

I think both would be excellent games. My wife and my mother/father-in-laws are coming and this would be the first game they've been too (not my wife, the in-laws). I'm worried about the possible maltreatment of them in Philly personally, but I bet it'd be an exciting game. But I also want to be at a Pittsburgh game in Pittsburgh. Any thoughts on the better one to hit? I'm currently pulling for the season opener, but it's definitely close.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Can't go wrong there (hockey-wise... opening night will be great and Philly rivalry would be great) but you might have more fun in Pittsburgh, with the home fans.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Pittsburgh man. Better arena better people better atmosphere better team.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Ozz

opener

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Shady Machine

Def. in the burgh.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
Hey all,

I'm going on a vacation for a week around 10/8/12 to Vermont (from Missouri). I'm working out a way to pass through Pittsburgh because I've never been there and would love to watch a Pens game outside of against the Blues (obviously, this is assuming there is a season). My two options currently are:

Friday 10/12 v Islanders: Home opener, at Pittsburgh, in front of the Pittsburgh crowd

Thursday 10/18 v Flyers: In Philly, but would be great rivalry game

I think both would be excellent games. My wife and my mother/father-in-laws are coming and this would be the first game they've been too (not my wife, the in-laws). I'm worried about the possible maltreatment of them in Philly personally, but I bet it'd be an exciting game. But I also want to be at a Pittsburgh game in Pittsburgh. Any thoughts on the better one to hit? I'm currently pulling for the season opener, but it's definitely close.
ya I'd stick with Pittsburgh if its any of their first game. Philly is fun with a good group, but it could turn into a bad first experience. There will be taunts and yelling in Philly. Only way around it is to hide that you are Pens fans. I'm not saying they'll throw stuff. I've never had a really bad experience there but its enough that I wouldn't take my mother to a game there. Especially her first game.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 08-06-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Can't wait to get down there for a game. Expecting our 2nd in mid October, so wife promised within the next 3 years.

I would personally go to the home opener, and do some damage at the boutique

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Jaded-Fan

Those will both be premium games with an attendant premium price. But yes, they also will be games most want to go to . For me I would choose the one in Pittsburgh, Philly for most would be fine, but there have been enough incidents overall in Philly spanning several sports over the years that would worry me about going there. It is only a small segment I am sure, but my luck would be to run into just that segment.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:22 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Those will both be premium games with an attendant premium price. But yes, they also will be games most want to go to . For me I would choose the one in Pittsburgh, Philly for most would be fine, but there have been enough incidents overall in Philly spanning several sports over the years that would worry me about going there. It is only a small segment I am sure, but my luck would be to run into just that segment.
The problem with that segment is that they're looking for you.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:31 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

I would go to see the Islanders. Not even considering that it's the home opener. My reasoning is; Pittsburgh will either blow them out of the water. Or lose their cool against the islanders which would result in them trying to kick the **** out of them. Either way it should be highly entertaining. 0.02

sEmowashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:55 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Given the labor negotiations, at this point, I view the schedule as a rough draft. I've declined offers to plan road trips built around hockey games this upcoming season because of the possibility of the schedule changing.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Kovifan27

Either one is going to be a premium price. Since I have been to multiple Flyers/Pens games I can say its really not that bad. The further you move up the arena though the more likely the problem. The lower bowl/club boxes are the safest bet. So that adds to the price.

I have probably been to 10-12 Pens/Flyers games at Wachovia over the past 5 years. I have only had one problem and that was outside the arena.

If I had to choose though Home opener would be my choice 100%.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:41 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
Go to the opener it's a no brainer.

Cripes man if I was ever lucky enough to be able to catch a Pens game live, then watching a game in the 'Burgh would be my first choice without hesitation. Philthy would be the last place I'd go to. Not because of the game/rivalry factor of course, but because there are too many drunken *******s looking to start trouble. Hell I'd go to Washington before I'd go to Philly.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:43 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by sEmowashere View Post
I would go to see the Islanders. Not even considering that it's the home opener. My reasoning is; Pittsburgh will either blow them out of the water. Or lose their cool against the islanders which would result in them trying to kick the **** out of them. Either way it should be highly entertaining. 0.02
So why would you want another repeat of that February 2011 Pens/Isles debacle??? Christ that was embarassing.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Winter Ice
Rookie User

Support the Pens at the opener! You'll love Consol Arena, awesome place!

Winter Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:13 PM
TopShelfGoal

Home opener if you can get tickets.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:43 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Tickets will go fast on both games, so I'll say whatever game you can get tickets for

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:33 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Philly fans are animals. One of the last times I was there I saw a woman in a Penguins jersey (not even near the arenas and I don't think there was a game that day) holding her head and being tended to by some friends. I'm not saying she was attacked by Philly fans, but I'm not going to rule it out. If you go there to root for the visiting team, you're putting yourself in danger, based on things I've witnessed at pretty much every game I've attended there.

Also, Pens vs. Islanders is almost always a fun matchup.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
Philly fans are animals. One of the last times I was there I saw a woman in a Penguins jersey (not even near the arenas and I don't think there was a game that day) holding her head and being tended to by some friends. I'm not saying she was attacked by Philly fans, but I'm not going to rule it out. If you go there to root for the visiting team, you're putting yourself in danger, based on things I've witnessed at pretty much every game I've attended there.

I think those situations are rare but still...

I think taunting and heckling is definitely going to happen there. Harmless stuff like popcorn thrown at you is likely. Anything worse is more possible than it should be but having been there a few times I've never seen anything beyond those little things. I've also only gone in groups of at least 8 or 10 though.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post

A couple of years ago:

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:09 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Don't forget the beating of that Rangers fan after the Winter Classic, either. Ugh, **** Philly culture. I'll never stop hating it and being embarrassed that I grew up in its sphere.

Speaking of vomiting at Phillies games, though, when I was a kid my family went to a game at the Vet, I ate too much, and puked on the infield tarp. I think that was the first big league game I ever went to besides some Whalers games I was too young to remember.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Von Malkin*

Good problem to have. I went to college of philthydelphia and was harassed at many flyers games and a couple of eagles games over the years. Philthy fans get criticized, but they deserve it. Went to a preseason game a couple years ago and had beer thrown on us because 4 dumbass eagles fans were in our seats and wouldn't move so we went to get the usher.

No one has thrown beer on me at first union / Wachovia / wells Fargo...yet. But dumbasses would run down and mock my whenever the flyers scored. I went to college from 2002-2006 so the pens lost a lot of games. It's a lot more fun going back each year for a game now.

Sorry for the rant, but **** killiadelphia. Go to the pens opener

Von Malkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Pigs On The Wing

I'd recommend the opener, but don't be afraid to go to Philly. As long as you're not a Purple Heart vet you should be fine.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

You'll have more fun at the Pens opener and you can enjoy Consol, see the great history of the team around the arena, etc.

**** Philadelphia. I can handle myself very well but I refuse to go to games in Philly. They treat their sports teams like gangs do over territories/colors. You take the risk of dealing with some inebriated idiot(s) wanting to cause problems there over a ****ing sports game.

One of my former co-workers was from Philly and he got pissed on and sucker punched at an Eagles game in the bathroom because he was wearing a red coat and they were playing the 49ers. They didn't realize until he was on the ground that he was wearing an Eagles jersey under the jacket. The jacket was the only one he had. Not like he was trying to cause any issues.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Malkin View Post
Good problem to have. I went to college of philthydelphia and was harassed at many flyers games and a couple of eagles games over the years. Philthy fans get criticized, but they deserve it. Went to a preseason game a couple years ago and had beer thrown on us because 4 dumbass eagles fans were in our seats and wouldn't move so we went to get the usher.

No one has thrown beer on me at first union / Wachovia / wells Fargo...yet. But dumbasses would run down and mock my whenever the flyers scored. I went to college from 2002-2006 so the pens lost a lot of games. It's a lot more fun going back each year for a game now.

Sorry for the rant, but **** killiadelphia. Go to the pens opener
Inside Wachovia like I said never a problem besides people mouthing off. Outside there is less security and the chances of problems go up 10 fold.

Now at the Linc it's a diff story. But the Linc is how I knew I was going to marry my wife so I can't hate it too much. The Eagles/Steelers game in 08 was a mess. It was me and another guy(Steelers fans) and my girl/another girl(Eagles Fans). My guy friend rolled out cuz the game was horrid. I stayed til near the end. I was near the middle of the row with my head down cuz I was beyond annoyed. I hear "Oh ****" so I look up and it's an Eagles fan flying down the seats. My girl says "Time to go." So as we are leaving they explain what happened. Some guy came down to taunt me and other crap/whatever. He walked into our row and my girl realized what he was going to do. I have a little bit of an anger problem so it prob would not have ended well. She thought fast and as he tried to push past her to get to my seat she shoved him down the seats.

But really like I said I've been to so many games and had no real problems inside Wachovia. The security there is pretty good on the lower bowls. Citizens bank is also not too bad. I am a Mets fan, wear my gear and at worst people yell stuff at you. It's when you get chippy back in Wachovia or Citizens you would have a problem.

Everyone should come into Philly for at least one game. It is a different experience.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote