HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XXV - *Important Mod Warning #15*

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briecheeze View Post
That's why Burke was inquiring about Bernier - at this point, if Gillis really is asking for the moon for Luongo, most fans would rather pay a cheaper price for Bernier and go into the season with a Reimer/Bernier 1A/1B situation and let them fight it out.
Dreger said that Burke has not talked to LA about Bernier. Most fans might be OK paying a cheaper price for Bernier but I doubt that Burke sees another untested goalie as the solution to his goaltending problems. That doesn't strike me as a very good move.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:30 PM
lgenord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If thats the case Burke would have given up what Gillis wants..

Clearly they differ in their view of Luongo's price.
Well, setting sarcasm aside, Burke absolutely has a reputation to uphold to be able to maintain his employment, "as someone who can transform something from absolutely nothing, afterall, this is why TO hired him".... such as trade for elite for the equivalent of mediocre. Since his contract is up at the end of next year, do you think he would entertain actually paying the going rate or more knowing very well the result would still mean his dismissal. Well, simply holding out in the hopes of dou***bagging Gillis is his only hope but will never ever come to a fruition, Gillis is far too levelheaded for that....

Last edited by lgenord: 07-25-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Is it possible that Burke & Gillis are actually working together and discussing a trade that is dependent on the outcome of the various UFA's that aren't signed yet and not just bickering over what players to deal?

Old
07-25-2012, 03:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Schneider hasn't really shown that he has any sort of mental breakdowns though. I don't think Luongo sitting on the bench will trigger that.
Neither has Luongo, unless bad games automatically mean mental breakdown in which case Schneider's start against Nashville in December would be a mental breakdown.

07-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Neither has Luongo, unless bad games automatically mean mental breakdown in which case Schneider's start against Nashville in December would be a mental breakdown.
You wouldn't call The games he played in Boston mental breakdowns? He didn't really give us a chance to win any of those games. I'm a huge Luongo supporter but those 3 games in Boston were mental breakdowns. How can you not win a single game of a series in your opponent's building... not only that but how can you look SO bad in 1 building for 3 games?

Here the part where you complain about the offense!

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 07-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Wildcarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
You wouldn't call The games he played in Boston mental breakdowns? He didn't really give us a chance to win any of those games. I'm a huge Luongo supporter but those 3 games in Boston were mental breakdowns. How can you not win a single game of a series in your opponent's building... not only that but how can you look SO bad in 1 building?

Here the part where you complain about the offense!
I actually would argue that the games he played against Chicago (in multiple years) were more indicative of mental breakdowns as opposed to the Boston games. Boston was more amplified because he wasn't very smart with his comments about tire pumping and of course because it was the Finals. He also rebounded from his bad games against the Bruins with some incredible performances under pressure.

Against the Hawks he was unable to pull it together, and the team had to insert Schnieder to give Lu a break.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcarder View Post
I actually would argue that the games he played against Chicago (in multiple years) were more indicative of mental breakdowns as opposed to the Boston games. Boston was more amplified because he wasn't very smart with his comments about tire pumping and of course because it was the Finals. He also rebounded from his bad games against the Bruins with some incredible performances under pressure.

Against the Hawks he was unable to pull it together, and the team had to insert Schnieder to give Lu a break.
At least in that case he rebounded & won the 7th Game though.

No comments about the offense yet y2k?

Old
07-25-2012, 04:05 PM
arsmaster

16 goals against in 3 games is bad, but does it really mean he broke down mentally?

His play may have led to the team breaking down mentally...but posting a 1-0 shutout after getting pummeled for 12 goals in games 3 and 4, speaks to significant mental resolve.

Game 6 is the only game I blame on Luongo, but a team scoring 3 goals in 3 games in boston (all 3 being garbage time goals with the outcome of the game already decided), during that timespan and showing absolutely zero push back after going down in those games should not speak to ONE persons (Luongo) mental fortitude....it should speak to the fragile mentality the Canucks possessed as a group during that series.

Old
07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
16 goals against in 3 games is bad, but does it really mean he broke down mentally?

His play may have led to the team breaking down mentally...but posting a 1-0 shutout after getting pummeled for 12 goals in games 3 and 4, speaks to significant mental resolve.

Game 6 is the only game I blame on Luongo, but a team scoring 3 goals in 3 games in boston (all 3 being garbage time goals with the outcome of the game already decided), during that timespan and showing absolutely zero push back after going down in those games should not speak to ONE persons (Luongo) mental fortitude....it should speak to the fragile mentality the Canucks possessed as a group during that series.
When those 16 goals and 3 games are in a single building I have to think its something mental.

In the 4 games in Vancouver didn't he give up something like 5 goals? He did have 2 shutouts. I've just never seen night & day performances when it comes to playing in a certain building (he has this vs the Wild too).... to me thats got to be mental.

I don't think he is a mentally weak goalie who can't turn it around like everyone claims he is but those numbers specific to the TD Bank are outrageous.

I do agree that the group as a whole has the ability to be mentally weak & give up. Game 6 was a PRIME example of that.

When you mix a goalie & a team who have those traits your in for high highs but also very low lows. Its unfortunate he & the rest of the team had their lows at the same time in the biggest series they have played.

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 07-25-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 04:35 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Dreger said that Burke has not talked to LA about Bernier. Most fans might be OK paying a cheaper price for Bernier but I doubt that Burke sees another untested goalie as the solution to his goaltending problems. That doesn't strike me as a very good move.
Agreed. Bernier is a good move if we acquire a vet along with him. Bernier's talent level is a substantial cut above Reimer or Scrivens but not proven enough to toss him to the wolves the minute he steps on the ice.
  • Ideal combo IMO: Bernier/Theodore
  • Package Reimer & Scrivens in other deals
  • Give Owuya the #1 spot on the Marlies

Old
07-25-2012, 05:15 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
So? you dump him in the minors and he doesn't effect your cap and I bet he won't want to play there.
Doesn't Luongo have a no movement clause?

Old
07-25-2012, 05:20 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
The last 3 years of Luongo's contract he makes $3.6 mil, total out of a $64 mil contract...

I think after $60 mil, unless he's still putting up great numbers, there's no way he'll be a backup with a $5.33 mil cap hit for $1 mil a year at age 40, that makes zero sense.
I don't see it that way. $1M for hanging out at the hockey rink for 6 months seems like pretty easy money to me. I don't have a crystal ball - maybe Luongo is that rare exception to the rule, but taking that last $million and investing it into your kid's trustfund is something I'd be hard pressed to pass up regardless of the $60M I made earlier in my career.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:26 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
I don't see it that way. $1M for hanging out at the hockey rink for 6 months seems like pretty easy money to me. I don't have a crystal ball - maybe Luongo is that rare exception to the rule, but taking that last $million and investing it into your kid's trustfund is something I'd be hard pressed to pass up regardless of the $60M I made earlier in my career.
It seems like good money to me too! But then I won't have made the kind of money Luongo has made. I don't really see him showing up to cash a pay cheque if he's not playing and I doubt that many GM's see this as much of a risk.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:30 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Doesn't Luongo have a no movement clause?
No he doesnt

Old
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
$60 million?

If he leaves the last 3 years on the board, he'll have surpassed $90million + in his last 3 contracts, and quite likely $100m, as cap geek only tracks to his last season as a Panther.

If he isn't good enough to want on your club, and won't retire you send him down and force it on him

He most certainly won't be riding the bus in the AHL, with $100million+ in the bank.

Of course you wouldn't see it that way, as a person, who is like myself, likely will not have even grossed $1million in the length of Lu's deal.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

possible to mention some NEWS about this in the name of the thread like "News in post 25"

Old
07-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
$60 million?

If he leaves the last 3 years on the board, he'll have surpassed $90million + in his last 3 contracts, and quite likely $100m, as cap geek only tracks to his last season as a Panther.

If he isn't good enough to want on your club, and won't retire you send him down and force it on him

He most certainly won't be riding the bus in the AHL, with $100million+ in the bank.

Of course you wouldn't see it that way, as a person, who is like myself, likely will not have even grossed $1million in the length of Lu's deal.
He also has his endorsement deals as well. The guy is going to enjoy his retirement instead of grinding out a few more years for peanuts.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:38 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Don't take it personally...maybe insulting other GM's (or fanbases) intelligence because they aren't willing to deal top prospects/picks or top 6 forwards for Luongo isn't the right way to go if you don't want to recieve comments in return.
Sounds to me like you're the one taking it personally. I restate my orginal position: Relying on an unproven prospect, that is operating today with the assumption that they will pan out tomorrow, is awful management. In terms of the Canucks, their brass has deemed that Schneider has proven enough to be considered ready today. Of the other clubs in question, it is my view that none can say the same thing.

If that is insulting to you then so be it.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:54 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Vancouver is going to have to overpay to have someone take Luongo's albatross contract off their hands.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOil View Post
Vancouver is going to have to overpay to have someone take Luongo's albatross contract off their hands.
Ok.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
SilverHaireDevil

As to the issue of Luongo to the Minor leagues, he would have to clear waivers and no way does he get by Columbus and if by some miracle the Blue Jackets didn't snap him up Luongo would be an Oiler.

Gillis is not going to waive Luongo, he will get something for him before he gives a division rival even a remote chance to pick up Luongo on waivers.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOil View Post
Not sure what you mean by pay. It'll end up exactly like the Nash deal, except without a 1st. They'll get players of value, just not the players they want.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
As to the issue of Luongo to the Minor leagues, he would have to clear waivers and no way does he get by Columbus and if by some miracle the Blue Jackets didn't snap him up Luongo would be an Oiler.

Gillis is not going to waive Luongo, he will get something for him before he gives a division rival even a remote chance to pick up Luongo on waivers.
I think that they were talking about when he is older. When his cap hit will still be 5.33 but he will only actually be making 1 million/year.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:37 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
Is it possible that Burke & Gillis are actually working together and discussing a trade that is dependent on the outcome of the various UFA's that aren't signed yet and not just bickering over what players to deal?
As I have said it may make a big difference where Doan goes.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:44 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
So he could retire with millions in the bank to spend more time with his family or he could spend 10 months of the year training and travelling around north america to not play....

And Luongo will have made over $85 mil by the time he's in the last 3 years of this contract, not just $60 mil. I think his kids will be just fine...

Closed Thread