HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal signs Alex Galchenyuk to a three-year deal ($832,500/year + $2.3M P.Bonus )

Old
07-24-2012, 03:00 PM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
IMO Galchenyuk/Nokelainen will be out, Gomez/White will be in. No need to rush the kid, his development level is that of someone who won't even be drafted for another year
Everything you hear on the inter-webs is true.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Mr Rogers

If and that's a big if, he really lights it up during preseason + 9 game trial then I could see him playing on Eller's wing on the third line and some PP time kind of like how they were using Kostitsyn. Imagine how filthy a duo of Eller and Galchenyuk would be.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Kid is ripped. Holy.
His dad probably slipped some soviet supplements in his cereal every morning.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 04:15 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rogers View Post
If and that's a big if, he really lights it up during preseason + 9 game trial then I could see him playing on Eller's wing on the third line and some PP time kind of like how they were using Kostitsyn. Imagine how filthy a duo of Eller and Galchenyuk would be.
I'm totally opposed to playing Gally in the wings, don't ask why I can't explain it, but I could see that being a pimp 3rd line with size and scoring, especially if it's completed by Moen.

I'm also expecting BIG things fro Eller this season. It's the first off-season where he actually got to properly train and not be hindered by recovery so he will be in great shape and ready to roll. Hopefully he makes Plekanec expendable and we can trade him to make room for Gally at center.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:04 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I'm totally opposed to playing Gally in the wings, don't ask why I can't explain it, but I could see that being a pimp 3rd line with size and scoring, especially if it's completed by Moen.

I'm also expecting BIG things fro Eller this season. It's the first off-season where he actually got to properly train and not be hindered by recovery so he will be in great shape and ready to roll. Hopefully he makes Plekanec expendable and we can trade him to make room for Gally at center.
Yeah, god forbid we actually have two awesome two-way centres. What's with the "I can't wait until some young player blossoms so we can ditch the veteran who's not even that old and is a way better player than him."

**** that, if Eller develops into Plekanec #2, that's awesome and an even better reason NOT to trade Plekanec. We want depth, depth, depth which you don't get by trading Plekanec who's in his prime as soon as a younger player becomes serviceable. You keep BOTH, that's how you become a great team. If you have both of those guys, all of a sudden Desharnais becomes this awesome little Danny Briere style offensive weapon. Three offensive centres, two of which can play awesome at both ends of the ice (Eller and Pleks)? You don't braek that up, you roll with it!

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:18 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Yeah, god forbid we actually have two awesome two-way centres. What's with the "I can't wait until some young player blossoms so we can ditch the veteran who's not even that old and is a way better player than him."

**** that, if Eller develops into Plekanec #2, that's awesome and an even better reason NOT to trade Plekanec. We want depth, depth, depth which you don't get by trading Plekanec who's in his prime as soon as a younger player becomes serviceable. You keep BOTH, that's how you become a great team. If you have both of those guys, all of a sudden Desharnais becomes this awesome little Danny Briere style offensive weapon. Three offensive centres, two of which can play awesome at both ends of the ice (Eller and Pleks)? You don't braek that up, you roll with it!
If Gally develops as expected, one of those is gonna be expendable, and it's not Desharnais, simply because he's french.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:14 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
If Gally develops as expected, one of those is gonna be expendable, and it's not Desharnais, simply because he's french.
Instead of expendable to the team how about expendable to their position. You want Galchenyuk on the team that's fine but he's not going to anchor the third line in his rookie year. He needs to be in the top-six at which point you say, okay we have Plekanec as our anchor and most depenable forward, he's not leaving centre ice.

To use past comparisons, the way I see it in terms of type of player/role on the team..

Leblanc is the new Higgins, a top nine forward who spends time in the top six.
Desharnais the new Ribeiro, a talented offensive centre with nice numbers and ideally is the #2 guy in a point producing role behind a more complete #1.
Plekanec the new Koivu, aka the guy who's better than he credited for that people this board want to trade and won't miss til he's gone.
Eller the new Plekanec, the young two-way player poised to breakout from a 3rd line role to top six centreman.

The fun part is, we haven't had a player like Galchenyuk in a while to make a comparison to, which is really nice. .. IMO you move Desharnais to his wing on the 2nd line.. and have your choice of slotting Pleks and Eller in between Cole - Pacioretty or Bourque - Gionta.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
His dad probably slipped some soviet supplements in his cereal every morning.

lol that stuff is ridiculous.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:

Depends, habs are weak at other positions. In 2-3 years Cole, Gionta, Markov, Kaberle and Gomez will be out. Maybe free agency won't have what we need. Maybe we'll have a shot at a Bobby Ryan type player. At that point, you have to consider trading Plekanec. A position of advantage is great but habs aren't stocked everywhere else. You assess your team and see.

Quote:
I'm not french but that's one of the stupidest things I've heard. We traded latendresse, Ribeiro, Lapierre, etc... and we won't trade DD if we need to? IMO, if we don't trade DD it's because he's our only pure playmaking forward. I love the guy. High compete level and determination. Not to mention, he's a pretty good player.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:40 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post

I'm not french but that's one of the stupidest things I've heard. We traded latendresse, Ribeiro, Lapierre, etc... and we won't trade DD if we need to? IMO, if we don't trade DD it's because he's our only pure playmaking forward. I love the guy. High compete level and determination. Not to mention, he's a pretty good player.
Is it that stupid, though?

On one side, you have a 25 years old who just entered the league that produced at a high level, but he's small, need sheltered zones starts and while he isn't a liability, he's isn't a great defensively.

On the other side, you have a 23 years old who has been in the league for two years, has develloped as expected and showed all the signs to be a very top6 two-way center, all that while having great size, speed and hands.

Plekanec, I don't need to describe him. He is better than both DD and Eller.

IMO, Eller and Plekanec are the better players, but it's one of them who will be traded, and that's because Desharnais speaks french, he's a gars de chez nous, and you can't trade a gars de chez nous when the only surefirer Quebecer left on the team is Cube.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

On one side, you have a 25 years old who just entered the league that produced at a high level, but he's small, need sheltered zones starts and while he isn't a liability, he's isn't a great defensively.

On the other side, you have a 23 years old who has been in the league for two years, has develloped as expected and showed all the signs to be a very top6 two-way center, all that while having great size, speed and hands.

IMO, Eller and Plekanec are the better players, but it's one of them who will be traded, and that's because Desharnais speaks french, he's a gars de chez nous, and you can't trade a gars de chez nous when the only surefirer Quebecer left on the team is Cube.
Eller is not a better player than Desharnais at this point. In fact he might even peak at a level below Desharnais'.

Two way play is nice for 3rd line players (what Eller is for now) but on the top6 you want offense, thats what forwards are there for in fact. Eller has shown skill and ability in that regard but with too much inconsistency. Meanwhile you said it yourself, Desharnais is not great at defense but he's not a liability, the same can be said for many awesome top6 players we would like so much to have on the team.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

On my mobile but I'd like to add this, regarding DD/Eller/Pleks:

DD is ourmost skillfull centre by far. Eller has it too but he's too timid to make plays sometimes - DD is definitely not shy to force a play.

He's dominated every league he's played in, and was a top point getting centre last year with a crap PP on a losing team.

If anything, Pleks and Eller need to step it up and then we can deal with it. Until then, DD is our most productive centre (based on last year and general projection for next - I mean, who knows which Pleks we'll see and if Eller will keep his trajectory and become a legit top6 C?) and we should give him all the sheltered zone starts and easy ice time we can. Goals are goals, wins are wins.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:58 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

DD is ourmost skillfull centre by far. Eller has it too but he's too timid to make plays sometimes - DD is definitely not shy to force a play.

He's dominated every league he's played in, and was a top point getting centre last year with a crap PP on a losing team.

If anything, Pleks and Eller need to step it up and then we can deal with it. Until then, DD is our most productive centre (based on last year and general projection for next - I mean, who knows which Pleks we'll see and if Eller will keep his trajectory and become a legit top6 C?) and we should give him all the sheltered zone starts and easy ice time we can. Goals are goals, wins are wins.
In the end its silly to trade anyone of them right now. If Galchenyuk makes the team then one, perhaps Galchenyuk himself (to ''easy'' him in) needs only to be moved to wing. Sucks for them to be moved from center but from a team point of view thats the best option unless a great trade is possible (which isn't that likely. one thing is sure we must not throw one away for a 2nd and some old dude). There is no way Plekanec, Galchy, DD or Eller aren't better than at least one of our top6 forwards.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:03 AM
LeMAD

Quote:

There is no rush to do anything right now, unless we decide to trade Plekanec before his contract end (for younger players). We will suck this year, and probably the next one too.

Also it's really hard to tell who will be our number 1 center in a few season. And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Desharnais is better than Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk in 3-4 years. Plekanec is inconsistent, Eller still hasn't show much offensively, and who knows what kind of player Galchenyuk will become.

And Desharnais certainly had a hell of a season, and was only getting better later in the year.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:10 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Eller is not a better player than Desharnais at this point. In fact he might even peak at a level below Desharnais'.

Two way play is nice for 3rd line players (what Eller is for now) but on the top6 you want offense, thats what forwards are there for in fact. Eller has shown skill and ability in that regard but with too much inconsistency. Meanwhile you said it yourself, Desharnais is not great at defense but he's not a liability, the same can be said for many awesome top6 players we would like so much to have on the team.
Two-way play is for 3rd line players? Hum, no. I said he wasn't a liability, with sheltered zones starts, he sure as hell would be if he was playing against top line night in and night out.

Come to think of it, I might be wrong, I vaguely remember reading something about his zones starts increasing as the season got along, but I might be making this stuff up.

Eller could peak at a level below Desharnais'? He sure could. Desharnais could also be a 1 season wonder. It's all speculation, I was simply stating my opinion, isn't it what a discussion board about? IMO, Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller will, or are, all be better centers than Desharnais.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:17 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Pleks and Eller are playing much tougher minutes than DD, and with worse line mates.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pleks and Eller are playing much tougher minutes than DD, and with worse line mates.
How hard can dump and change be?

We had one scoring line for most of the year, I'm sure other teams could figure out what needed to be done to stop the Canadiens from scoring. DD's line would play well in whatever role they were given.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
How hard can dump and change be?

We had one scoring line for most of the year, I'm sure other teams could figure out what needed to be done to stop the Canadiens from scoring. DD's line would play well in whatever role they were given.
They did a fantastic job in their role and there's no reason to think they couldn't adjust to harder competition, as Desharnais continued to produce even as he became a bit more well known.

But they would have to adjust, because under RC they were used almost exclusively in an offensive role forcing Plekanec and Eller to eat up harsh matchups in their own zone. I'd be curious to see how everyone does on a more balanced team before I write anyone else off for not producing like DD, Patches and Cole on an awful team.

I also don't think a lot of teams took the Habs seriously at the end of the year.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Two-way play is for 3rd line players? Hum, no. I said he wasn't a liability, with sheltered zones starts, he sure as hell would be if he was playing against top line night in and night out.

Come to think of it, I might be wrong, I vaguely remember reading something about his zones starts increasing as the season got along, but I might be making this stuff up.

Eller could peak at a level below Desharnais'? He sure could. Desharnais could also be a 1 season wonder. It's all speculation, I was simply stating my opinion, isn't it what a discussion board about? IMO, Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller will, or are, all be better centers than Desharnais.
Thats fine, also why we discuss - we mostly talk about each other's opinions.

As for sheltered starts - I remember seeing a chart and Desharnais did start in the o-zone more often then not. It wasn't pure sheltering however, as he faced pretty strong opposition. His line was our only real offensive threat so it made sense to give them the most chances. The Sedins in Vancouver get incredibly sheltered minutes if we want to see it that way and it doesn't make them liabilities. The real easy minutes were given to Gomez, Nokelainen et all while the toughest were given to Plekanec.

Of course Desharnais is not a Selke candidate, mostly because he's never going to demolish people with checks or trounce people from the front of his net. He's very sound positionally and works extremely hard 100% of the time so he's far from hopeless. Many smallish players are effective defensively and I can't see why he couldn't hold his own against good players.

Imho we don't absolutely need to move any of them for 2 or 3 years still and as we can see from our discussion its pretty hard to predict who the odd man out is going to be. Eller could become a great second line center with excellent offensive abilities or he could end up being a good two way third line center with somewhat limited offense. Desharnais can prove he can be a consistant producer and top line player or, as you seem to fear, he might end up being a one year wonder. Plekanec can rebound from his lackluster season (I think he will) and reclaim the first line center spot or fade and stay a two way second liner. The question with Galchenyuk is when is he going to be a legit first line center. It might not be as quick as people imagine, it can take him 4 or 5 years to put up really impressive point totals.

Making a choice now is dangerous and does not allow us to get max value for our assets anyways. Desharnais has fairly low trade value. Plekanec's value is low compared to what it could be. Trading a player like Eller would be mad unless significant overpayement is offered. Furthermore we need all 3 of them in the next two years to be competitive.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:38 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I know.

I'm of the school that you give your most offensively capable line the most chances to produce. A goal is a goal and if the DD line can only get goals against tired lines or bottom6ers AND they can produce a lot of them - so it shall be. Our other two centres are good enough to play and game against any line.

Also it really depends on Therrien and therein lies all the speculation. If he can really, truly maximize the potential of the team (and we do have potential) then Pleks, Gio, Eller and especially Bourque can really step up contribute beyond the DD line.

And DD's shortcomings are over-stated because of his statue and because we were god-awful last year. Cole and Patches are not moneyball players who only work well in certain situations, they're powerforwards and they finish their plays, and the current NHL game relies heavily on board-play from the wingers and they are both known for that. When it's all said and done we just can't predict if we're gonna have 1 and a half scoring lines (Pac-DD-Cole + scrub-Pleks-Gio) or 2 and a half scoring lines (DD line, Bourque-Pleks-Gio, Leblanc-Eller-Moen) - it depends on the system, the coaching, how the breakouts are designed (and therefore how Markov and Subban and Diaz/Kaberle look), etc.

I really hope we sign Semin, he could look dynamite next to Pleks and inject some flair and skill into a lineup that is gritty and chracter enough but really lacking in finesse. I mean, we have DD and Patches and maybe Eller who can dangle worth a damn. Gio, Moen, Pleks, Cole and Bourque are not high-skill players by any means and LL, Gallagher, Galchy, etc are just unknown unknowns now.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Higher draft position earns Oilers' Yakupov $1.65 million more than Sting teammate

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Oiler...#ixzz21gJonCfU

Quote:
MONTREAL -- What's the difference between the first overall pick in the National Hockey League and the third overall pick?

If you look at the entry-level contracts signed by Sarnia Sting teammates and friends Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk on Monday, the answer is $1.65 million US.
The contracts, which were negotiated by Hall of Famer Igor Larionov, who is now a player agent, are similar. Each player gets a three-year deal with an annual base salary of $925,000, the maximum allowed under the current collective bargaining agreement. Each contract calls for an American Hockey League salary of $70,000, and each player receives an annual signing bonus of $92,500.

The one difference is in the performances bonuses that are available to each player.
Yakupov, who was drafted first overall by the Edmonton Oilers last month, has the potential to pick up an extra $2.85 million a season. Galchenyuk, who was selected by the Montreal Canadiens in the No. 3 spot, has bonus clauses totalling $2.3 million a season.

Those performance bonuses count against the salary cap, which means Yakupov and Galchenyuk will have cap hits of $3.775 million and $3.225 million, respectively, should they make the NHL next season.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

I wouldn't expect great things of Galchenyuk if he played for the Habs in this coming season. He would be handicapped by his youth, inexperience, and lost junior season due to injury. In addition, he wouldn't have linemates who could add significantly to his point totals. His turn will come later.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Mr. Hab

One more year in junior (should be a NHL lockout anyway), and Galchenyuk can also have that great WJC experience (representing USA? or Belarus?).

For me (in one year and a half or two years from now):
Plekanec
Eller
Galchenyuk

Package 5'4 to 5'6 Desharnais/Weber/Diaz for a 2nd+3rd Rnd Picks and a top 4 rugged dman we really need (and not extremely injury prone like Mister $5.75mil/year). Markov (fragile ''handle with care'' glass-man/always injured and never takes a ****ing pay-cut), Weber (he's a dman? are you kidding me?!), Diaz (potential, but...), Kaberle (what's softer than butter but way more expensive?).
Our D is a ****ing joke and we all know it...but we have to be patient for the real dmen to develop.

And, since Markov is always injured but always collecting his $5.75mil/year...this is our top 5 (the rest is a joke! obviously I'll hope Markov can stay healthy, and Kaberle can rejuvenate his career...a little! and Weber? he better ****ing wake up in our D-zone 'cause he can't play defense to save his life):
Emelin/Bouillon - Subban
Gorges - Diaz

Can't wait for this D-Corps:
Subban
Gorges
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Ellis
Thrower

Dietz
Bennett

p.s.: Desharnais without Cole and Pacioretty...would like to see how creative he is. I enjoy watching his crafty/creative play but he's going to ask for $5mil/year soon (they all get greedy) and I'd like to see how good he is in playoffs and how good he can be without all-star wingers (Cole, Pacioretty). Any top 6 center can have major success with Cole and Pacioretty (way too easy). Give Desharnais a bit of a challenge (give him lazy-*** Bourque! and let's see if Desharnais will ask for 5 mil).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-26-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:14 AM
Sumoki Dachiba

Quote:
Instead of expendable to the team how about expendable to their position. You want Galchenyuk on the team that's fine but he's not going to anchor the third line in his rookie year. He needs to be in the top-six at which point you say, okay we have Plekanec as our anchor and most depenable forward, he's not leaving centre ice.

To use past comparisons, the way I see it in terms of type of player/role on the team..

Leblanc is the new Higgins, a top nine forward who spends time in the top six.
Desharnais the new Ribeiro, a talented offensive centre with nice numbers and ideally is the #2 guy in a point producing role behind a more complete #1.
Plekanec the new Koivu, aka the guy who's better than he credited for that people this board want to trade and won't miss til he's gone.
Eller the new Plekanec, the young two-way player poised to breakout from a 3rd line role to top six centreman.

The fun part is, we haven't had a player like Galchenyuk in a while to make a comparison to, which is really nice. .. IMO you move Desharnais to his wing on the 2nd line.. and have your choice of slotting Pleks and Eller in between Cole - Pacioretty or Bourque - Gionta.

I don't know about that, in the early Gainey-era comparison you outlined it really looks like Galchenyuk is the new Kostitsyn. They have many similarities: 'franchise' expectations, not quite Russian, health concerns caused them to drop (not much though) in the draft, BIG (but really just 6-1 and solid) and supposedly among the most skilled in their draft.

Let's hope our new future franchise forward works out this time!

Sumoki Dachiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumoki Dachiba View Post
[/B]

I don't know about that, in the early Gainey-era comparison you outlined it really looks like Galchenyuk is the new Kostitsyn. They have many similarities: 'franchise' expectations, not quite Russian, health concerns caused them to drop (not much though) in the draft, BIG (but really just 6-1 and solid) and supposedly among the most skilled in their draft.

Let's hope our new future franchise forward works out this time!
You forgot 1 very important difference, 1 is a workaholic, the other an alcoholic

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote