HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Eastern Conference Outlook for 2012-2013.

Old
07-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

vCash: 500
we're a bottom 5-10 team unless/until Burke pulls off these big trades he and his staff have been hyping.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:49 PM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
Curious to know why you believe pittsburgh, who lost staal, will improve on their standing from last season. Also you have NY Islanders at 11.....
Pittsburgh lost Staal but replaced him with a pretty good young player in Sutter. Crosby Malkin and Sutter is still the best center scenario of all the eastern conference teams. I chose Ilse at 11 because I think they are building a decent young team and that Tavares is better than any player on any of the teams I chose below them. He`s better than any player on Florida too but I pick them ahead of the Ilse because they they made the playoffs last year. I could see the Ilse maybe even suprising and stealing a playoff spot, but I`m not predicting that.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:29 PM
416Leafer

We're essentially one of 8 teams battling for 3 spots.

Ottawa, Florida, and NJ are the only teams from last years top 8 that are legitimate threats to miss the postseason. Them, plus Winnipeg, Buffalo, Carolina, TB, and Toronto should be vying for those three spots.

Without better goaltending, it doesnt look overly optimistic. We'll be wildly inconsistent yet again.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:30 PM
CoolBlue*

Anyone who thinks that Reimer can be a number 1 goalie in the NHL is out of touch with reality. Reimer has flaws...a lot of em...and teams know it...he's down on every shot...gets beat easily top shelf corners five hole and under his arms.

And another big problem is that as a group...these scrubs pulled off the biggest epic colapse in Leaf history.

Burke has done nothing but blow hot air again...JVR improves the forwards but at the cost of losing Schenn off an already weak defense.

CoolBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:43 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
NY Rangers, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Boston are locks. After that, its wide open.

Worst case scenario for us would be another 9-12 finish. I want us to either make the playoffs obviously, or just tank out and get Mackinnon. No more treadmill pleaseeeeee!
Boston is a lock if you believe losing Tim Thomas and replacing him with Rask is acceptable. I'm not counting them out, just have to look at that scenario closely.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlue View Post
Anyone who thinks that Reimer can be a number 1 goalie in the NHL is out of touch with reality. Reimer has flaws...a lot of em...and teams know it...he's down on every shot...gets beat easily top shelf corners five hole and under his arms.

And another big problem is that as a group...these scrubs pulled off the biggest epic colapse in Leaf history.

Burke has done nothing but blow hot air again...JVR improves the forwards but at the cost of losing Schenn off an already weak defense.
I think reimer will have a good third season.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Beleafer4

Florida and NJ are my picks to drop. Ottawa and Washington as wildcards.
Reasoning:
Florida:Theodore can flunk this year, and career seasons from half their team will be tough to repeat
NJ: lost parise and when your goalies are as old as brodeur and hedberg, you never know. Henrique could slump too.
Wash: loses semin. Placing all your cards on holtby can also turn out wonderfully or disasterously
Ottawa: their whole team played excellent last year with a lot of people achieving their max potential. That will be hard to reproduce imo.

The other four are locks, although I dont think pitt will be as good.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:57 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
We're essentially one of 8 teams battling for 3 spots.

Ottawa, Florida, and NJ are the only teams from last years top 8 that are legitimate threats to miss the postseason. Them, plus Winnipeg, Buffalo, Carolina, TB, and Toronto should be vying for those three spots.

Without better goaltending, it doesnt look overly optimistic. We'll be wildly inconsistent yet again.
Most Company boards would tell the GM to try again and come up with a better plan if those are the odds. There is no competitive advantage for the leafs but more a me too team that doesn't excel.

But hockey is not like that always. Well for some teams it is. Philly who with the ambitious owner was not denied an upgrade in defence and similarly with the Rangers who addressed a goal scoring problem. The proof in the GM's strategy is how well the team does in the coming years.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
490 nm

Don't worry guys, we are going to get a good player

1) Nathan MacKinnon, Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL, Centre

2) Seth Jones, USNTD, USHL, Defence

3) Sean Monahan, Ottawa 67s, OHL, Centre

4) Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL, Left Wing

5) Alexsander Barkov, Tappara, SM-Liiga, Centre/Left Wing

490 nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:09 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Most Company boards would tell the GM to try again and come up with a better plan if those are the odds. There is no competitive advantage for the leafs but more a me too team that doesn't excel.

But hockey is not like that always. Well for some teams it is. Philly who with the ambitious owner was not denied an upgrade in defence and similarly with the Rangers who addressed a goal scoring problem. The proof in the GM's strategy is how well the team does in the coming years.
Are you expecting some incredicle deal to have happened in recent years to have radically improved our team to make it easier to give up 4 assets for Nash or Webber?

You need some patience, firstly to add enough prospects/assets to make it so you don't lose anything by dealing away depth and secondly, some time to let those assets develop so you know exactly what you are trading. Did you notice how many of the Ranger assets were 22+ years old?

How about this Nashville/Webber thing? Rumour is, Nashville is negotiating to upgrade the draft picks to NHL ready players. The time will come when Burke has the assets and the cap space to make the big deals.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Are you expecting some incredicle deal to have happened in recent years to have radically improved our team to make it easier to give up 4 assets for Nash or Webber?

You need some patience, firstly to add enough prospects/assets to make it so you don't lose anything by dealing away depth and secondly, some time to let those assets develop so you know exactly what you are trading. Did you notice how many of the Ranger assets were 22+ years old?

How about this Nashville/Webber thing? Rumour is, Nashville is negotiating to upgrade the draft picks to NHL ready players. The time will come when Burke has the assets and the cap space to make the big deals.
Why are you getting so defensive? I'm contrasting how some teams operate more corporate like and others operate more what appears like a charitable organization.

There is no one "right way" to build the team.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
I rather have a lockout than finish 9-12th.
This so badly.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Auzzie19

Are Leafs the odd team out?

With almost all of the Eastern Conference getting stronger do we have a chance to make the playoffs?

1. NYR
2. WSH
3. BOS
4. PIT
5. CAR
6. NJD
7. PHI
8. TBL
9. BUF
10. OTT
11. FLA
12. TOR
13. WPJ
14. NYI
15. MTL

Could this make an argument for rearranging the conferences?

Last edited by Auzzie19: 07-24-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:05 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
As of right now, I don't think so. But I also don't think the Eastern teams got that much better. I think we are just worse.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:17 AM
glasses91

vCash: 250
id like to be lower prefferably

glasses91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:24 AM
emackulate

i dont think all the eastern teams got better. just the powerhouses. NJD, florida, stayed the same (NJD lost parise) and washington lost semin. i still think the leafs are fighting for the last 2 or 3 spots.

emackulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

The rangers and philly are the only teams that got significantly better. Nothing is a sure thing, that's why there's 82 games to play out. We all like to make predictions but injuries can happen, regression can happen, who knows. Adding Jordan Staal doesn't make Carolina an automatic top 5 team in the east either imo. Did anyone see Ottawa making the playoffs? Everyone knew at the start of last year that Buffalo would be a powerhouse. Etc, etc.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:35 AM
MoeMoney

Fine by me, grab another top 5 pick and go hard for Getzlaf in the summer. If your not ready to compete for the cup it's been proven you're better off losing big and building through high draft picks. Not what many want to see but it's in the best interest of the team going forward.You're right on the money with the jets, islanders, and jabs looking like the only teams that have less talent.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Duffman955

I want to know what NJD and CAR have done to earn thier spot?

NJD lost thier captain and 40 goal scorer parise, and were 6th place even with parise this year.

Car added Staal who is as of now, a 50 point forward.

I see us right in the mix for spots 6-10. With a bit of luck or a trade, we could easily make the playoffs.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Count Von Grabo*

Rags, Flyers, Pens, Bruins are locks.

After that idk what will happen.

Washington is the only other team that I am confident will make it.

I think the Leafs will live and die by Reimer.

I'm predicting they finish around 11th-13th.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Based on off-season moves:

Improved
- NY Rangers* (added Nash)
- Carolina~ (added J. Staal)
- Washington* (added Ribeiro, Joey MF'in Crabb)
- Tampa Bay~ (added Lindback, Carle, Salo)

About The Same
- Toronto~
- Montreal^
- Ottawa~
- Boston*
- Pittsburgh*
- NY Islanders^
- Florida~
- Winnipeg~

Got Worse
- New Jersey~ (lost Parise)
- Buffalo~ (lost Roy, added Ott/Pardy)
- Philadelphia* (lost Carle/Jagr/Pronger, added L. Schenn/Fedotenko) <-- this changes based on Weber decision.

* - Playoff Lock
~ - Wildcard
^ - Bottom-dweller

By my count there's 5 locks to make the playoffs, 8 wildcards for the last 3 positions, and 2 teams that won't come close.

Last edited by Duke Silver: 07-24-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Duke Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Based on off-season moves:

Improved
- NY Rangers* (added Nash)
- Carolina~ (added J. Staal)
- Washington* (added Ribeiro, Joey MF'in Crab)
- Tampa Bay~ (added Lindback, Carle, Salo)

About The Same
- Toronto~
- Montreal^
- Ottawa~
- Boston*
- Pittsburgh*
- NY Islanders^
- Florida~
- Winnipeg~

Got Worse
- New Jersey~ (lost Parise)
- Buffalo~ (lost Roy, added Ott/Pardy)
- Philadelphia* (lost Carle/Jagr/Pronge/JVR, added L. Schenn/Fedotenko) <-- this changes based on Weber decision.

* - Playoff Lock
~ - Wildcard
^ - Bottom-dweller

By my count there's 5 locks to make the playoffs, 8 wildcards for the last 3 positions, and 2 teams that won't come close.
You missed JVR.

This is a very good analysis. This year, only the top teams in the east improved significantly. This shouldn't hurt the leafs chances because they are battling for 6-10 place.

Furthurmore, Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo have gotten weaker, making the division quite weak. If leafs can capitalize on divisional games, we will be in pretty good shape.

If Burke adds one more big peice to our team, or riemer returns to 2010/2011 form, we will be close to locks for the playoffs.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:10 AM
tooproforyou

yes we do have a chance.

Look at last year, nobody had Florida making it and they grabbed the Division. Ottawa was supposed to be in rebuild mode and they squeaked in. Meanwhile, Phoenix was supposed to be a bottom feeder but ended up taking the division and finishing as one of the final 4 teams standing.

tooproforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Aplayaz2000

hmm people dont wanna make the post season, i can't miss another 1

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:30 AM
darrylsittler27

Hope springs eternal,more of the same.

It is really just the same game over and over isn't it?One trade and we are off to the playoffs.Nevermind JVR's injury history,he is a number one center.I can see the headines now "We expected more of JVR,who could have known he would miss 60 games." " Reimer told me he was ready!" and "I thought giving Phaneuff the raise ,would make him play better!"

We are fighting with Montreal(Price) and NYI(lots of youth) for bottom 3.Spin it anyway you want,just pay up so the rest of the league can continue.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote