HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA in the Olympics?

Old
07-29-2012, 02:52 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
MMA in the Olympics?

nice article here...

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news/artic...tml?cid=rsstsn

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 02:55 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
I wish...

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:02 PM
DeathFromAbove

I have no desire to see MMA in the Olympics. See amateur boxing for why this would be a bad idea.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

No thanks.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 08:16 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
It'd be the only way the summer olympics would get any interest from me.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:00 PM
End of Line
Human After All

A start for this is if BJJ and Muay Thai would be included in the Olympics..

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:25 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I have no desire to see MMA in the Olympics. See amateur boxing for why this would be a bad idea.
I'd rather watch amateur boxing than corrupt professional boxing

Old
07-29-2012, 11:09 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I understand your complaint about corruption but amateur boxing is only slightly more entertaining than watching paint dry. MMA would suffer the same fate if it were ever included in the olympics.

I like End of Lines suggestion to include BJJ or Muay Thai. That's a much more realistic option since sports like BJJ already have scoring systems.

Old
07-30-2012, 12:00 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I understand your complaint about corruption but amateur boxing is only slightly more entertaining than watching paint dry. MMA would suffer the same fate if it were ever included in the olympics.

I like End of Lines suggestion to include BJJ or Muay Thai. That's a much more realistic option since sports like BJJ already have scoring systems.
I agree 100% with this post. Amateur boxing is just awful and MMA in the Olympics would be as well.

BJJ or Muay Thai would be great though.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Amateur Boxing has just as many bad decisions as pro Boxing does.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:33 PM
northstarsforever

Plus who would want to fight among the pros? And not enough countries do it and the rules would probably cramp it. Good article here http://www.axs.tv/blogs/mma_olympics/

northstarsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:24 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Eddie Bravo's jiu-jitsu-with-striking-on-the-ground sport would be a good candidate for this. Gives it a bit more edge than standard judo without the 3-concussions-in-2-weeks risk you'd get when guys are standing and brawling like dos Santos and Rampage. No idea what sanctioning would do to it, but I think MMA is in a better place today than basketball was 20 years ago when the Dream Team debuted at the Barcelona Olympics.

United States, Brazil, United Kingdom, Canada, Holland, Japan, Korea and Russia have all put prominent fighters in the UFC / Pride, and there are plenty of fringe countries like France, Germany, Poland, Australia, Thailand and China. Combat sports exist in basically every country, and it wouldn't be a huge leap to introduce MMA, whatever the rules.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:26 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

The problem is that none of these sports (BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA, whatever) have an international sporting federation that's recognized by the IOC. I'm not sure what you have to do to be recognized (knowing the IOC it probably involves suitcases full of money), but until that happens there's no hope of them ever being included, even as demonstration sports. I've seen lots of people wanting to see a BJJ competition in Rio, for instance, but the IBJJF would have to be on board and would have to jump through what I imagine are some big hoops to make it happen.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:40 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
The problem is that none of these sports (BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA, whatever) have an international sporting federation that's recognized by the IOC.
Or a concrete scoring system. The bunk judging criteria of "effective striking, grappling, aggression & octagon control" doesn't cut it. A committee would have to get together and create a point system that everyone agrees on and it would more than likely have to water down the rules to accomplish that.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:34 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

BJJ does in theory have fairly concrete rules on scoring (see www.ibjjf.org/docs/rulesibjjf1stedition.pdf starting around page 14 or so), but even high-level competitions tend to be plagued by inconsistencies, people being awarded points/not awarded points incorrectly, confusing disqualifications, etc. I imagine that if it were to be contested at the Olympics, they would have to go to a multiple-official system similar to what they have in judo to try to eliminate some of those inconsistencies.

There would probably be a lot of pressure to make the rules more spectator friendly as well. As much as BJJ can be a blast to watch, it wouldn't take very many matches consisting of two guys pulling on each other's collars from 50/50 guard for 7 minutes for people to start getting a little fed up with it.

MMA is a whole other kettle of fish, it seems extremely difficult to me to come up with a scoring system for a sport that encompasses wrestling, grappling and striking in more or less equal quantities.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Jasper

vCash: 707
I can't see how it would ever work. In boxing they use the big gloves and head gear. We all know how injuries go in the UFC so unless you only had one fight in the Olympics, which doesn't make much sense... It doesn't make much sense.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:28 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
I can't see how it would ever work. In boxing they use the big gloves and head gear. We all know how injuries go in the UFC so unless you only had one fight in the Olympics, which doesn't make much sense... It doesn't make much sense.
did you read the article? it mentions how it would be amateur MMA, which includes head gear, shin guards, etc..

Old
08-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Quote:
did you read the article? it mentions how it would be amateur MMA, which includes head gear, shin guards, etc..
I read it when it came out, I must've missed or forgot about that. Is it enough to prevent injuries?

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:02 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
It doesn't make any mention of a proposed scoring system which is the biggest hurdle. Amateur boxing is still struggling with it's scoring system and that's merely a subset of MMA.