HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on Fox 4: Shogun vs Vera

Old
08-04-2012, 11:30 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Brent Brookhouse ‏@brentbrookhouse
Dana says "Lyoto wanted it more than Shogun" which...seems like kind of a dumb statement

Writer for BloodyElbow.
I don't think Brent took into account the behind the scenes **** that Dana talked about.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Shogun, no matter how beat up never gives up and no matter how gassed will always keep going, it's why I love him as a fighter and why he is my favorite.
It's good that he never gives up and always keeps going but it would be nice if he could come into a fight in shape so he doesn't gas out after one round. He was able to finish that fight because he was fighting Vera but a better and well conditioned fighter probably would have beat Shogun tonight.

Quote:
Brent Brookhouse ‏@brentbrookhouse
Dana says "Lyoto wanted it more than Shogun" which...seems like kind of a dumb statement

Writer for BloodyElbow.
I don't think that's a dumb statement at all. It looked like Machida was in the best shape of his career. Shogun looked chubby and out of shape like he has in his last couple fights. Shogun is falling into that BJ Penn and Rampage group. Either he doesn't care or he just doesn't have it anymore.

Quote:
UFC ‏@ufc
Media asks Shogun about being tired - Vera interjects "You're acting like I wasn't pushing the pace, get off that bro" http://www.ufc.com/media/fox4-post-pc
Vera was on his back for half of the 1st round and then he was eating knee after knee after knee. Him pushing the pace didn't cause Shogun to gas out.

I didn't watch the press conference but apparently Vera was still talking **** and acting like a complete jackass. He definitely did a lot better than I thought he would but that's not saying much. Unfortunately, he fought well enough to keep his job so we'll have to listen to his BS at least one more time.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

It was a great night...Machida looks like a new man without the extra weight. Shogun needs to drink piss like the Dragon or something because if he was in top condition..he would have finished Vera..not taking anything away from Vera who fought valiantly. He shouldn't be running his mouth though.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 01:37 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

One thing to take away from this is that Shogun/Vera makes Henderson's stock fall a bit. That was a similar fight with both guys having some pretty big highs and lows - and I'm not sure that matching up against Shogun in a fashion comparable to Brandon Vera is a good thing when you're fighting Jones.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 01:45 AM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
It was a great night...Machida looks like a new man without the extra weight. Shogun needs to drink piss like the Dragon or something because if he was in top condition..he would have finished Vera..not taking anything away from Vera who fought valiantly. He shouldn't be running his mouth though.
He did finish Vera o_o

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
He did finish Vera o_o
Brainfart. I meant earlier than the 4th.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:17 AM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post

Ya and we all know Shogun won the first fight too, hommie.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:33 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

I don't think that's a dumb statement at all. It looked like Machida was in the best shape of his career. Shogun looked chubby and out of shape like he has in his last couple fights. Shogun is falling into that BJ Penn and Rampage group. Either he doesn't care or he just doesn't have it anymore.
You're insane if you think that. It's obvious that the knee surgeries have destroyed his legs and his body is falling apart. To compare Shogun to guys who don't care anymore like BJ & Rampage is ludicrous.

Awesome card tonight, I gained a lot of respect for Vera.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Fanpuck33

Excellent card. A number of contenders for fight of the night. Still, the one thing I kept thinking about after the card - did Bruce Buffer really say "It's fight time?"

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:44 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
Excellent card. A number of contenders for fight of the night. Still, the one thing I kept thinking about after the card - did Bruce Buffer really say "It's fight time?"
He sure did. Probably just a new line for him to trademark and make money off of.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Once again a fox card was the best card in a long time. Fox > PPV.

I talked a lot of smack about Vera but he showed a lot of heart. The Varner/Lauzon fight was awesome. Shogun showed up out of shape again.

Bader had NOTHING for Machida.

Nice to see Swick back again.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:15 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post

Ya and we all know Shogun won the first fight too, hommie.
Ya only he didnt win the first fight, hommie.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:27 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

I really hope Josh Grispi is cut. I have no desire to see that nipplehead fight again in the UFC. He is the single dumbest fighter the UFC has. Less than zero fight IQ.

Old
08-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

That was a great card, better than the majority of the recent PPVS.

Every fight was entertaining.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 01:06 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I really hope Josh Grispi is cut. I have no desire to see that nipplehead fight again in the UFC. He is the single dumbest fighter the UFC has. Less than zero fight IQ.
Cole Miller's gameplan to stand and strike with Phan has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen in the Octagon too.

Old
08-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Cole Miller's gameplan to stand and strike with Phan has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen in the Octagon too.
Didn't understand that either...he got beat up for his trouble though haha.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:00 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He's another nipplehead (and a ******) who I hope is cut. I'm done watching Cole fight in the UFC.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:15 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Did Bader even attempt a takedown?
No. But much like Rashad he couldnt really. Machida's distance control is elite. If Bader would have dove in for a double he would have had to taste Dragon knee

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:48 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
No. But much like Rashad he couldnt really. Machida's distance control is elite. If Bader would have dove in for a double he would have had to taste Dragon knee
It's better to go down trying to use your wrestling rather than getting eaten alive in the standup.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
It's better to go down trying to use your wrestling rather than getting eaten alive in the standup.
This.

Bader has NO chance to outstrike Machida.

I can appreciate that he probably has no chance of taking him down either.

Bader is not a world class fighter.

Old
08-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Machida's knockout was so awesome... blocked the haymaker,delivered a precise and deadly shot right on the button. Machida made Badger look like a kung fu movie stooge.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Machida's knockout was so awesome... blocked the haymaker,delivered a precise and deadly shot right on the button. Machida made Badger look like a kung fu movie stooge.
It was the best he looked in a long time. Footwork, precision, timing and speed. Bader isn't a can or a cakewalk but he was just completely outmatched.

Old
08-05-2012, 09:30 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Machida looked amazing.

Shogun looked much leaner then he has in awhile, yet he still gassed in the first round. I'm amazed that people are so surprised by this Shogun has done this multiple times in his career (came in with **** cardio)

Just off the top of my head he looked like **** against : Coleman II, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Griffin I, Jon Jones, Dan Hederson [amazing fight but lets face it shogun looked bad]

Lets face it he's looked pretty bad for three fights in a row...hopefully he makes a comeback in his next fight the way he has before [Liddell fight after Coleman] but I won't get my hopes too high

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:57 PM
BGDDYKWL

Loved a Shogun-Machida parlay that ended up being around -140. Should've put my money where my mouth was. Granted I would've been a little worried at times during the Shogun fight. Lol. I thought Shogun would steamroll Vera, so I'll give credit where credit is due as Vera certainly made it a fight, but I would contend it had as much to do with Shogun once again not seeming 100% than anything Vera was doing. Shogun is just so inconsistent.

I felt Bader had absolutely no chance of winning, and the fight certainly played out that way. I just didn't see what he'd be able to do to get the victory. He just doesn't have the wrestling to take Machida down, and everyone knew he would get smoked standing. I don't know why guys come forward throwing punches at Machida and Anderson. It does not work. You have to close the distance and then throw punches. Big difference. Easier said than done obviously, but still... I like Bader so I was hoping he'd pull off some miracle, but the reality is he's just not at that level.

I completely agreed with Rashad and Chael about Davis being very lucky that fight got stopped due to the eye poke. He looked absolutely terrible. There was a thread on Sherdog questioning whether Davis has the proper mindset for fighting. I honestly don't think he does. I don't think he'll ever make another run. He's tentative, and despite looking tremendously athletic he isn't explosive enough to use his wrestling against the elite of the division. I hope they match those two up again because I'm assuming Davis would still be a pretty big favorite (he was nearly -700 this time), so I'd definitely be putting some money down on Prado. Word is the rematch could take place at UFC on FX 5.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I thought Machida was crap, just hand movements til Bader moved, was stupid. Think Bones chews him up again, LOVED the standing choke he was put in, then just dropped.

Vera was impressive in that he kept coming back from hard hits, but if Rua had any conditioning he'd have been destroyed. Vera's a clown.

Last edited by Laus723: 08-05-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote