HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carlyle

Old
07-22-2012, 10:39 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

vCash: 500
Carlyle

if the leafs dont make the playoffs, does he get fired? or does carlyle get a free pass this year.
burke gave him the team that,should of made it last year but they fell over the cliff, thus firing the coach.

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:51 PM
ALine

If the higher ups feel like a change is needed, it will be the management that is changed. different management would bring in their own guys likey. If Burke stays then so does Carlyle. Also, I might add, its not a forgone conclusion that Burke is done if he misses the playoffs for another year. It depends on how it plays out

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Paris in Flames

Wilson was given years of failure. Don't see why Carlyle would only be allowed one.

Paris in Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Aplayaz2000

Carlyle isn't under pressure... however he did manage to lose a lot of games getting the team the 5th pick.

The real person under the scope is Burkie.
If Burke misses another post season... does he get fired?!?!?

! ! ! ! !

Aplayaz2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Predaleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
if the leafs dont make the playoffs, does he get fired? or does carlyle get a free pass this year.
burke gave him the team that,should of made it last year but they fell over the cliff, thus firing the coach.
Why does it seem every week or so you are creating a new thread about someone being fired or someone should be traded.

He has a pass this year unless they are a lottery team. Burke and Carlyle will have this year to show improvement. Everyone keep saying this is his team, it isnt. Burkes team is about 1-2 years away. He filled this squad with guys who are basically stop gates. When his picks start coming through we will see. Give it 2 years then we can see a team with Blacker,Kadri,Ashton,Colbourne, D`Amigo,Rieller,Biggs, Ross + everyone else like Kessel,Gardiner,Lupul,Grabovski then there jobs come into question

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:57 PM
AlmightyPO

Burke will not fire Carlyle after this season, but if Burke is canned after this season I would assume the next GM would bring in a new guy.

Personally I think Burke gets a two or three year extension, and Carlyle sticks with the team even if we finish outside the playoffs.

AlmightyPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:01 PM
G51 K81*

Neither Burke or Carlyle will be fired this year regardless of our finish.

Last edited by crump: 07-23-2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: flame
G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:02 PM
gravyface

Carlyle's job is not in question for the duration of Burke's tenure under this contract. He's not going to dump the guy, regardless of the standings this year. However, if the ownership doesn't believe in Burke's strategy or have the patience to let him see it through to completion then Carlyle's gone when Burke goes.

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:09 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Burke will not fire Carlyle after this season, but if Burke is canned after this season I would assume the next GM would bring in a new guy.

Personally I think Burke gets a two or three year extension, and Carlyle sticks with the team even if we finish outside the playoffs.
so making the playoffs is not a big deal this year, then why did't burke just hire eakins as his coach and let the players grow with him, since making the playoffs is not a big deal this year.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Predaleafs

Quote:
so making the playoffs is not a big deal this year, then why did't burke just hire eakins as his coach and let the players grow with him, since making the playoffs is not a big deal this year.
I dont think he meant it like that. I think it was meant as they are trying to get the playoffs, but due to how the off-season is set up if they dont make the playoffs but still show some sort of improvement then they will be kept.

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:16 PM
ALine

Quote:
Eakins isn't ready for an NHL head coaching job. He's still comparetively young for a NHL coach. He's done a great job for the kids on the marlies, but coaching men is s lot different.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
[B]B]

Neither Burke or Carlyle will be fired this year regardless of our finish.

And I agree. Burke and Carlyle are both quite safe.

Last edited by crump: 07-23-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:27 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Who knows, I personally would have preferred Eakins, but with him still in the AHL it gives him more time with many future Leafs, and a chance to win the Calder Cup. I really have no hope or expectations for the Leafs next year, and without some more changes I can't see myself being too excited about the 2012-13 season for the Leafs. Another top 5 pick would do wonders for the team, as it is so clear we need elite talent, and as it has been shown the past few years, we are unable to get that through trade or FA. I think Burke finally has accepted that this is a long process, and that is why he has been relatively quiet on the FA front and is starting to rely on the draft more so than his first few years here.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:38 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
why would anyone think Carlyle would be fired without Burke being fired aswell after this season. if this team doesn't improve then it's a clear sign that coaching isn't and wasn't the problem but that it was the players, which is Burke's respondsibility. so if anyone would be fired with another bad season it would be Burke(tho Carlyle might be right behind him if that were to happen)

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 169
Option 1: Burke doesn't get fired = Carlyle stays

Option 2a: Burke gets fired, new GM comes in = he likes Carlyle and keeps him
Option 2b: Burke gets fired, new GM comes in = he doesn't like Carlyle and he fires Carlyle and brings in his own new coach.

Option 3: Toronto wins the Stanley Cup and we make statues of Burke and Carlyle outside the ACC.

Option 3 is the most likely obviously.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:47 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Option 1: Burke doesn't get fired = Carlyle stays

Option 2a: Burke gets fired, new GM comes in = he likes Carlyle and keeps him
Option 2b: Burke gets fired, new GM comes in = he doesn't like Carlyle and he fires Carlyle and brings in his own new coach.

Option 3: Toronto wins the Stanley Cup and we make statues of Burke and Carlyle outside the ACC.

Option 3 is the most likely obviously.
so your saying burke hired carlyle to make the playoffs and keep his job

Old
07-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 169
Quote:
so your saying burke hired carlyle to make the playoffs and keep his job
You seem to be trying to get me to say something and then twist my words a little but I don't see the direction you are going so I will play along. Since the goal of a gm is to make the playoffs and win the Stanley Cup I will say yes, Burke hired Carlyle because he felt it was time to move on to a new coach who could better the team. Yes this hiring of Carlyle may have saved his job.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Stephen

I don't think he gets fired or a free pass. Like any coaching job, the clock is ticking...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:24 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Neither will be gone after next season. Suck it up and live with it

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:26 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
Carlyle isn't under pressure... however he did manage to lose a lot of games getting the team the 5th pick.

So their draft position was Carlyle's fault?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:27 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

it was amazing how much time Wilson had.

before Wilson there was one constant in the universe: NHL coaches get fired.

coaches get fired if a team doesn't go deep in the playoffs
coaches get fired if a team sputters at the beginning of a season
coaches get fired if the team is terrible to begin with
coaches get fired if the stars stop playing for them (*Jagr)
coaches get fired if the team doesn't make the playoffs even in the coaches' first year

*edit

*i guess i'm revealing my age with this point

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:28 AM
colchar

Quote:
Another top 5 pick would do wonders for the team, as it is so clear we need elite talent,
Why? So we can end up like Edmonton and all the success they've had with their high draft picks?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:31 AM
My Sweet Shadow

Wow, talk about giving the guy a tight leash.

It's not very often that a coach gets fired in their first full year with a team. I doubt Burke cans him unless we finish like dead last for some reason.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:40 AM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Why? So we can end up like Edmonton and all the success they've had with their high draft picks?
I all ears as to where our number one goalie, centre and top 6 forwards with grit are coming from. I am all for Luongo and I think he changes this team completely, but that is looking like it is not going to happen.

Running with Reimer/Scrivens this year will show us if we can solve our goalie issues internally, but if not we will have another lost season, and hopefully a top pick. We finished bottom 5 this year, how exactly are we a playoff team without addressing any weak points from last season?

IMO Burke seems to be finally willing to go with the young guys (within reason) and accept the consequences that come of that.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
I all ears as to where our number one goalie, centre and top 6 forwards with grit are coming from.

Running with Reimer/Scrivens this year will show us if we can solve our goalie issues internally, but if not we will have another lost season, and hopefully a top pick. We finished bottom 5 this year, how exactly are we a playoff team without addressing any weak points last season?
New Coach, new system.
McClement, does seem like a player who can address the PK.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote