HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Semin is worth the risk for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Boudreau, Crawford, Ferraro, Mcguire all say the same thing. Why are you so sure Semin will suddenly become a team player? BTW Goals is only 1 part of the game, with all the baggage this guy brings he better just score 40 just so a team breaks even, because I am sure he will let in 40 while he is on the ice.
So by your criteria, Kessel did not really contribute to the Leafs, since more goals were scored against us than for us when he was on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
The NHL comment comes from you posting from out of your depth. Like I said above, Toronto was 10th in goals per game last season. Washington was 14th with Semin. The Leafs can score goals, nobody will tell you otherwise. We won alot of games by simply outscoring our opponents. The solution to fixing the Leafs isn't by outscoring other teams even more, it's lowering how many goals we let in.

Here's the teams that scored the most goals per game last year;

1) Pittsburgh
2) Philadelphia
3) Boston
4) Ottawa
5) Vancouver
6) Chicago
7) Detroit
8) Nashville
9) Tampa Bay
10) Toronto

Here's the teams that let in the most goals per game;

1) Tampa Bay
2) Toronto
3) Columbus
4) Islanders
5) Winnipeg
6) Carolina
7) Ottawa
8) Edmonton
9) Chicago
10) Washington

Which of these rankings do you think we need to improve on?
Ya, I'm not denying that we need to improve our defense, however, I do not see how replacing a Lombardi or Connolly or MacArthur with Alex Semin doesn't allow us to do this? Who cares if Washington was 14th in goals, that means nothing when assessing Semin's own natural ability. If anything, it renounces the argument that Semin scored cause he was on a stacked team.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Swervin81
Magic Mitch™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Semin is the furthest thing from what the leafs really need. These "articles" are like reading bleacher report. Please make it stop.
That's an insult to Bleacher Report. Besides, we need a veteran mentor for Reimer. Are offense is good enough and our defense is good enough on paper, and I'd think Carlyle's system will really help show what these d-men are really capable of when they are not pinching all the time *cough*Ronnie*cough*. And as the team defense and structure improves, the better our goaltending becomes.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Amazing how many posters still would like to have Semin, even after seeing what Crawford and McGuire said, not to mention him not being anything like a player Burke wants, his negative eputation around the league and the fact he is still a UFA. Truly remarkable; make a move for the sake of making one.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:03 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
So by your criteria, Kessel did not really contribute to the Leafs, since more goals were scored against us than for us when he was on the ice.
Kessel is a more complete player than Semin, he plays a 200 ft game, he also makes players around him better. Other than that, Nice attempt though.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:04 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 5000
I'd sign Semin , somthing like 18 over 3 would be fine . Let him float above the blueline and crack 30 while Burke comes out with some BS about how he's become a 200 foot player and the fans will eat it up .

The guy has a high end skill set and our need for scoring will become apparant this year when we play a more defensive system .

Old
07-23-2012, 10:04 PM
seanlinden

No question the guy can score... but the Leafs already have 5 wingers who are quite easily capable of 20+. Kessel, Kulemin, Van Riemsdyk, Lupul, MacArthur. With Semin, there really isn't much in the way of room for him to succeed. Plus, as others have mentioned, scoring hasn't been the Leafs problem -- it's keeping the puck away from their net. Alexander Semin isn't going to help that.

He'd be best served going to a place like Pittsburgh, or Philadelphia, where the centres are strong but they lack a sniper on the wing.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:07 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Amazing how many posters still would like to have Semin, even after seeing what Crawford and McGuire said, not to mention him not being anything like a player Burke wants, his negative eputation around the league and the fact he is still a UFA. Truly remarkable; make a move for the sake of making one.
I know what you mean, there was a thread about Semin not too long ago where I posted a youtube link of Boudreau blasting Semin for not getting the puck deep in the playoffs in game 7 against the Bruins with 6mins to go. He was trying to stick handle thru center ice. Really selfish play that some posters just don't get because he scores flashy goals but brings little if nothing else.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:12 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
No question the guy can score... but the Leafs already have 5 wingers who are quite easily capable of 20+. Kessel, Kulemin, Van Riemsdyk, Lupul, MacArthur. With Semin, there really isn't much in the way of room for him to succeed. Plus, as others have mentioned, scoring hasn't been the Leafs problem -- it's keeping the puck away from their net. Alexander Semin isn't going to help that.

He'd be best served going to a place like Pittsburgh, or Philadelphia, where the centres are strong but they lack a sniper on the wing.
Someone in the leaf top 6 would need to be traded - ideally adding Semin would free up a forward for a goalie or 1C trade.

Old
Leafidelity
A New Era

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Ya, I'm not denying that we need to improve our defense, however, I do not see how replacing a Lombardi or Connolly or MacArthur with Alex Semin doesn't allow us to do this? Who cares if Washington was 14th in goals, that means nothing when assessing Semin's own natural ability. If anything, it renounces the argument that Semin scored cause he was on a stacked team.
As it stands, I dont really see a space for those three players anyways.

Lupul - _____ - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - _____
______ - McClement - Kulemin
Brown - Steckel - Komarov

Fighting for a spot:
Frattin
Kadri
Lombardi
Connolly
MacArthur
Bozak

3 spots, 6 players. The majority of the scoring from last season is there with the exception of MacArthur. None really that "truculent". In a perfect world, those three spots would be filled with toughness. If you add Semin to that already small group - barring trades - we now have two spots to fill with tougher/two-way players. A team that finished 2nd last in the NHL in goals against should overhaul atleast one line dedicated to keeping the puck out of the net.

Old
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Quote:
Kessel is a more complete player than Semin, he plays a 200 ft game, he also makes players around him better. Other than that, Nice attempt though.
Ya but who cares? More goals were scored against us when he was on the ice, than for us.

Or does that not really matter? Which is it?

Old
PasDaSquini

Rather not have a guy on the leafs that dresses for 82 games but only plays in less than half of them. Semin reminds me a lot of Kovalev and I never wanted or liked Kovalev; I do not want Semin either.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:17 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Ya but who cares? More goals were scored against us when he was on the ice, than for us.

Kessel is a positive on most NHL teams if not all NHL teams. Semin is not, question you should answer for yourself is if Semin was, wouldn't someone have signed him by now?

Old
07-23-2012, 10:17 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:

Trading Connelly and Lombardi for what ever we can get for them and Signing Semin makes us better.

We could trade MacArthur as part of a package to get a goalie.

A two year deal with the second year as a club option is a great option. His skill set will help our PP and our 5 on 5 play.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:19 PM
number72

Quote:

Actually Semin's Corsi and Rel Corsi is higher than Kessel's. This means Semin is better at directing play into the opposition end and away from his own end (i.e. preventing the infamous Kessel line being hemmed in their own zone).

Kessel is better at putting up goals clearly, but by this metric Semin is better at puck possession and keeping pressure on the opposition.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Quote:
Kessel is a positive on most NHL teams if not all NHL teams. Semin is not, question you should answer for yourself is if Semin was, wouldn't someone have signed him by now?
Prove to me that Semin is not. What a ridiculous premise.

Semin was an easy + on Washington (a good team)
Kessel was an easy + on Boston (a good team)
Kessel was a minus on Toronto (a bad team)

From there, apparently we can conclude that Kessel is a positive on "most NHL teams" but Semin isn't? Laughable. All of this based on the fact that he hasn't signed yet? There are plenty of players who haven't signed yet.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
leftwinghockey

Quote:
And he plays even smaller than even our own Phil Kessel, atleast Phil now plays a 200 ft game, and is a much better team player. Not a good point, pointing out a player's size that plays closer to 5'10 165lbs.
Semin does NOT play smaller than Kessel. Not by a long shot.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:26 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Prove to me that Semin is not. What a ridiculous premise.

Semin was an easy + on Washington (a good team)
Kessel was an easy + on Boston (a good team)
Kessel was a minus on Toronto (a bad team)

From there, apparently we can conclude that Kessel is a positive on "most NHL teams" but Semin isn't? Laughable. All of this based on the fact that he hasn't signed yet? There are plenty of players who haven't signed yet.
Your attempts at misdirecting this discussion is interesting, but had you watched Semin in the playoffs this spring, you wouldn't be making these ridiculous comparisons. Dale Hunter coached Washington past Boston by giving Semin less ice time. Now if you watched that playoff series you would have noticed who the coach was using and relying on. This is a player you value, NHL coaches don't.

Again, watch the Crawford, Mcguire video.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Stephen

He doesn't really address any need, but I'd still sign him and have an extra asset. Not too hard up in terms of cap space either. The goaltending and defense still suck so we'll probably like to have some more goals anyway. If he really doesn't work out, you just move him like Frankie Beauchemin. No biggie.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:29 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghockey View Post
Semin does NOT play smaller than Kessel. Not by a long shot.
Thanks bud, and Semin is NOT the player Kessel is either. As voted by his peers, he was rated 16th, Semin not even in top 50.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Quote:
Your attempts at misdirecting this discussion is interesting, but had you watched Semin in the playoffs this spring, you wouldn't be making these ridiculous comparisons. Dale Hunter coached Washington past Boston by giving Semin less ice time. Now if you watched that playoff series you would have noticed who the coach was using and relying on. This is a player you value, NHL coaches don't.

Again, watch the Crawford, Mcguire video.
I'm not misdirecting anything, you are.

You made a ludicrous point. Back it up.

Instead you go to the classic "if you watched the playoffs" ********.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Quote:
Thanks bud, and Semin is NOT the player Kessel is either. As voted by his peers, he was rated much higher.
Semin is better than MacArthur imo.

Replace Mac with Semin and we are a better team. Yes or no?

Old
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

He doesn't fill a need but he is an upgrade over some of our wingers. So I would sign him, and give him a shot.

Lupul - #1C - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Semin

That is an upgrade over:

Lupul - #1C - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin/MacA

So signing Semin would be an upgrade for our team and on paper would make us better.

Also by signing Semin, it makes another one of our wingers expendable, so we can trade that winger and get something in return, maybe even fill a hole.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:37 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:

So the facts that Mcguire, Crawford, Ferraro, Boudreau totally dish Semin is ignored by you, or the fact that 5 players from each NHL team polled had Kessel ahead of Semin as a better player, at 16th in the entire NHL, Semin unknown, he didn't even make the top 50 list is still not enough to convince you...

Goodluck, you will need it convincing people Semin is better than Kessel or even in the same zip code.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Vexed
Magic Marner

It also adds high level talent which will make acquiring more talent easier. To me, signing Semin would be all about the price.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:43 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:

At what price 6-7 mill? Last I looked Leafs only had 9 M in capspace this year. I already said it in this thread. Semin is worth no more than 1M per year. He can't play a 2 way game, he is selfish, and he is bad in the locker room. Other than that, he has one asset a swell shot. Worth 1M for the one dimension he brings to a team.

Closed Thread