HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Hobey Nominations now open!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2005, 06:49 PM
  #1
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Hobey Nominations now open!

The nomination phase for the 2005 Hobey Baker Award is now open. You can vote for as many players as you wish but you can only vote for each player once.

You can make your selections here. (Note: You will need to register)

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
01-05-2005, 08:22 PM
  #2
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
PJ Fenton!

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
  #3
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,276
vCash: 500
Joe Fallon!

Acadmus is offline  
Old
01-06-2005, 11:58 AM
  #4
johnny cool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Ben Walter

johnny cool is offline  
Old
01-06-2005, 02:12 PM
  #5
NyCoN
Instant Contender
 
NyCoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes
Country: United States
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Ryan Poultny

NyCoN is offline  
Old
01-06-2005, 04:17 PM
  #6
Icer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
I nominated Michigan State's Colton Fretter and Jim Slater. Neither is going to win but I got to support my team.

Besides I really haven't been blown away by any player this year so far. Out of the players mentioned so far only Potulny and Walter rank among the scoring leaders and a good chunk of both those guys points come on the PP. They're also both underclassman and the Hobey usually goes to a senior unless the player really stands out.

Icer is offline  
Old
01-07-2005, 07:59 AM
  #7
Perry91502
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 905
vCash: 500
i nominated Bryan Schmidt (JR D, Merrimack).

I know that he is a long shot, but he leads all defesemen in the nation in scoring with I believe 11-12-23 totals (I might not be exactly right, but I know he has double digit goals and assists, and is in the low 20's in points.

Youhave to consider the top-scoring defenseman in the nation, averaging over a point per game, as a candidate for the award

Perry91502 is offline  
Old
01-07-2005, 11:02 AM
  #8
johnny cool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry91502
i nominated Bryan Schmidt (JR D, Merrimack).

I know that he is a long shot, but he leads all defesemen in the nation in scoring with I believe 11-12-23 totals (I might not be exactly right, but I know he has double digit goals and assists, and is in the low 20's in points.

Youhave to consider the top-scoring defenseman in the nation, averaging over a point per game, as a candidate for the award
this is definitely a solid nomination. schmidt, the few times i have seen him this year, has played VERY well on both ends of the ice, and has cut down on taking the stupid penalties that used to plague him (fortunately Rob LaLonde has picked up the slack for him)

also worth nominating (to me), is BU's Peter MacArthur. This kid is a freshman and plays with such intensity in both ends that you have to respect him and the fact that, while he wasn't the top recruit BU brought in this year, he's made the most of his opportunities and has done so in a way that he's become BU's leading scorer and hardest worker. McConnell is another good kid from BU to watch, although he doesn't put up the offensive numbers that MacArthur does.

johnny cool is offline  
Old
01-07-2005, 04:03 PM
  #9
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
It's unlikely that an underclassman (freshman or sophomore) will win it, because the selection committee tends to favor the upperclassmen.

The last underclassman to win the Hobey was Ryan Miller in 2001 (as a sophomore). Before Miller won it, the last underclassman to win it was Paul Kariya (as a freshman) in 1993.

BTW, I can't believe no one has mentioned Marty Sertich, Brett Sterling or Brent Walton for this award.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
01-07-2005, 04:54 PM
  #10
chaachie12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
It's unlikely that an underclassman (freshman or sophomore) will win it, because the selection committee tends to favor the upperclassmen.

The last underclassman to win the Hobey was Ryan Miller in 2001 (as a sophomore). Before Miller won it, the last underclassman to win it was Paul Kariya (as a freshman) in 1993.

BTW, I can't believe no one has mentioned Marty Sertich, Brett Sterling or Brent Walton for this award.
I think the CC guys are for sure candidates, if not front runners. However, I don't think Walton is up there right now. Western Michigan has played teh 38th ranked schedule in the country...guys like Sertich and Sterling (CC has the #8 schedule) or Potulny and Irmen (#1 schedule for MN) would score a lot more points based on that "lighter" competition. I really think the Hobey winner will come from the WCHA. I would have to give it to one of the CC guys right now...although Potulny could make a push. Just my $.02

chaachie12 is offline  
Old
01-07-2005, 05:58 PM
  #11
DW
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: MN
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
I'm going to have to agree with chaachie12 that the CC guys are the front runners for the Hobey. Atleast there is plenty of time for some other players to step to the top of the class.

The 3 Gophers that will get some votes will be Briggs, Potulny, Irmen. Potulny has the goals but Irmen has been the best froward for this team on a nightly basis. Briggs has played extremely well in the first half of the season. Of the three, Briggs should be the top Gopher in votes IMO. I don't see any of them winning the award though.

DW is offline  
Old
01-08-2005, 07:17 AM
  #12
Polydorus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Having more than one player on a given team in the running will hurt their chances by splitting the vote between them.

Polydorus is offline  
Old
01-08-2005, 10:44 AM
  #13
johnny cool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydorus
Having more than one player on a given team in the running will hurt their chances by splitting the vote between them.
that's why i didn't nominate any from either CC or the U

johnny cool is offline  
Old
01-13-2005, 03:03 PM
  #14
Undsioux130
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Dakota
Country: United States
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Undsioux130 Send a message via MSN to Undsioux130
I like Potulny too, even though I dislike the Gophers (SIOUX)

Undsioux130 is offline  
Old
01-14-2005, 11:52 PM
  #15
Kovy274Hart
Registered User
 
Kovy274Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Shaolin
Country: United States
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I nominated these super six:


T.J. Hensick, Michigan
Ryan Potulny, Minnesota
Danny Irmen, Minnesota
Kellen Briggs, Minnesota
Marty Sertich, Colorado College
Drew Stafford, North Dakota

Kovy274Hart is offline  
Old
01-15-2005, 07:10 PM
  #16
evegoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
I Added Two

Danny Irmen has been my favorite player to watch all season long. He plays a great two-way game, and really can get to the net. Ryan Potulny is right behind him, but I prefer Irmen.

Marty Sertich is a goal scorer, no doubt about it. He gets open and can score, no doubt about it. He played great in every game against Minnesota, and is a reason to watch CC.

I think we'll see Irmen catch up in the scoring races during the seconed half. The Gopher schedule gets easier from this weekend in, and Irmen will create a lot of opportunities.

I also will have a hard time with non-WCHA candidates. It's by far the top league in college hockey from top to bottom. Just look at SCSU and their performaces against Ohio State, Maine, and BC.

evegoe is offline  
Old
01-16-2005, 11:34 PM
  #17
Hockeycanada*
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Pat Bateman of NMU!

Hockeycanada* is offline  
Old
01-17-2005, 08:21 AM
  #18
Evilo
Registered User
 
Evilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 26,714
vCash: 432
Does Noah Welch have any shot?

Evilo is offline  
Old
01-17-2005, 11:58 AM
  #19
Hockeycanada*
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by evegoe
Danny Irmen has been my favorite player to watch all season long. He plays a great two-way game, and really can get to the net. Ryan Potulny is right behind him, but I prefer Irmen.

Marty Sertich is a goal scorer, no doubt about it. He gets open and can score, no doubt about it. He played great in every game against Minnesota, and is a reason to watch CC.

I think we'll see Irmen catch up in the scoring races during the seconed half. The Gopher schedule gets easier from this weekend in, and Irmen will create a lot of opportunities.

I also will have a hard time with non-WCHA candidates. It's by far the top league in college hockey from top to bottom. Just look at SCSU and their performaces against Ohio State, Maine, and BC.
After watching the NMU-Minnesota Christmas tournament game I really wasn't impressed with either player, especially all the hype that surrounds them, and it seemed the best player on the team was Hirsch(but the two top D were at the World Juniors). Briggs played very well in the game that I watched.

Hockeycanada* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.