HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Extend Burke?

View Poll Results: Extend Burke?
Hell, NO! 75 30.74%
Yes 1yr. 15 6.15%
Yes 2yr 65 26.64%
Yes 3+yr 89 36.48%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 11:24 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 500
Extend Burke?

I would give him 2 more years.

I look at the changes he's made, and even though not every one has worked out he has sure changed the identity of the team around and refilled the cupboards with Good prospects.

When I look at Vancouver since Burke they are doing pretty good. Their biggest pieces are due to Burke.

When I look at Anaheim since Burke, they have sucked since losing the pieces Burke Brought in. Who knows give them Gardiner last year and ...

The last 2 times this franchise was a contender it had established people at the helm. After the unfortunate years before Burke, which were a watered-down corperate version of the Ballard years, I ask Leafs fans to give him more time.

I know so many people want his head on a platter. That is fine. He does several things I am not a fan of. But the reality is just who are we going to get to replace him?

Most of the available top minds are already working for the team. Who is to replace Burke if he is fired?

Howson might be free soon want him?

I saw Craig (Three strike's you're out) Button on TV(did MLSE already let him go?), maybe him. Savard, St. Louis & Giguerre were the Strike's FYI.

BURKE: Extend or Fire?

Old
07-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Extend him.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

If playoffs, extend 3+. If not, 1 more year. I personally think people would want his head and he will be fired if he misses the playoffs.

07-23-2012, 11:43 PM
mokspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
If playoffs, extend 3+. If not, 1 more year. I personally think people would want his head and he will be fired if he misses the playoffs.
Nah, I see 1 yr extension if they don't make the playoffs. 2 or 3+ if they do.

If the Leafs aren't looking like a contender (for playoffs that is), he will sell all soon to be UFAs for draft picks and prospects and really make Free Agency his draft day next year with the upcoming (potential) UFAs

Old
07-23-2012, 11:43 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Sorry talking BEFORE the playoffs.

The LEafs sat 4th or 5th in January last year.

So, when do you sign him?

I do it now. 2yrs.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
I agree, even if we miss the playoffs extend him.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Stephen

Maybe, maybe not. It'd be nice to see him continue to stockpile, give the potential new incoming GM with as many assets to work with as possible, all the while keeping a more open mind towards free agents, offer sheets and other dirty tricks. If Burke can't advance the rebuild to the next level, someone else will have to be brought in to do it for him.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:55 PM
D3ADLY

I said 1 year but he better have the right plan to make our team better just because we are deserving fans. The 8th seed mentality has to go. Playoffs is a whole new beast whether its in hockey or any other sports.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:04 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Burkes and Leafs management rebuild plan will hit their climax in the summer of 2013.

Externally:
-All the bad contracts expire. Connolly and Lombardi.

Internally:
-Hopefully Kadri and Scrivens breaks out, Rielly makes the team, we get an NHL ready top 5 prospect.
-Kessel, Grabs, Lupul, and Phanuef maintain their roles.
-Kulemin, Frattin, JVR, Franson, Gardiner, Holzer and Reimer take the next step in their development.

To 2013 UFAs, we could be a young up and coming team, in a great city and hockey market to play in and with a Stanley Cup management and coaching staff by next year.

Only fair to let Burke be a part of that.

Last edited by A1LeafNation: 07-24-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old
07-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Fenton

Yes because you will set this franchise back further by firing him. The farm is setup to his liking. He might not have had the success he said he would, but I like the direction that this team is headed towards.

Plus there is no one else available to operate this expensive ship. It isn't Costa Concordia just yet.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:12 AM
glasses91

vCash: 250
If kadri is moved do not extend. If not 2+ no more fan favourite trades please!

Old
07-24-2012, 12:13 AM
ChillyPalmer

2 years.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:16 AM
Auzzie19

Fire him, Let Nonis take over, he seems to be more about developing players and building thru the draft, and most importantly he doesn't ******** around with the media.

Why do you want to extend someone who continues to say we'll make the playoffs, and contiues to be stubborn, it almost seems like we get worse every year, not the players individually, but the team as a whole.

Last edited by Auzzie19: 07-24-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old
07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Burkes and Leafs management rebuild plan will hit their climax in the summer of 2013.

Externally:
-All the bad contracts expire. Connolly and Lombardi.

Internally:
-Hopefully Kadri and Scrivens breaks out, Rielly makes the team, we get an NHL ready top 5 prospect.
-Kessel, Grabs, Lupul, and Phanuef maintain their roles.
-Kulemin, Frattin, Franson, Gardiner, Holzer and Reimer take the next step in their development.

To 2013 UFAs, we could be a young up and coming team, in a great city and hockey market to play in and with a Stanley Cup management and coaching staff by next year.

Only fair to let Burke be a part of that.
Exactly, if he gets fired, whomever the new gm is he's going to have a lot going for him right away and he'll be gifted the perfect situation. He'll have cap space, a deep prospect system, a very solid top 6, great young d core, and a team very much on the rise, he'll make playoffs after one year because that's where this team is headed, and he'll be praised as a savior... All thanks to Burke. He's gone this far and it's not as if he's been screwing up or making bad transactions at all that you can't keep him on and risk further putting the team in a whole..this situation is not like that at all, he's put the pieces in place to consistently make this team a contender and I hope he gets to see it through because he deserves it...all that unnessessary abuse and ridicule from the media and he's gone about his job building a solid foundation and not cutting any corners doing it his way... You have to respect that. Burke is the best, and u don't want to see some phony come in here and take credit for his hard work. Burke was one of the few willing to come here 4 years ago and take on the challenge to build this team from the ground up with a ferocious and angry fan base/ media on his case... And now that we're in a much better position you're not going to find a shortage of execs wanting to come here because it's a lot easier now, forget that..even Scotty Bowman didn't think he can handle this. Burke started it and Burke should finish it.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:27 AM
emackulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
Yes because you will set this franchise back further by firing him. The farm is setup to his liking. He might not have had the success he said he would, but I like the direction that this team is headed towards.

Plus there is no one else available to operate this expensive ship. It isn't Costa Concordia just yet.
completely agree. but if burke does get fired, and not his team, i think nonis would take over.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:29 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Pretty much.. And that's the problem, for a lot of people it's playoffs or bust. I personally think it would benefit the Leafs a lot if they got another high draft pick heading into next summer with many bad contracts off the cap and a lot of very attractive UFA's on the market. I wouldn't mind another top 5 draft pick that will put this team in much better shape 5-10 years down the line, I'm not going anywhere I can wait to see another highly touted prospect pan out along with Morgan Reilly.. it's not like they will miss playoffs for much longer.. there's going to come a time pretty soon when the Leafs are a lock to make it.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:43 AM
DaveT83*

Should have fired Burke 3 months ago.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:48 AM
nimrods74

I say extend for three. Wilson got fired after being extended, they can afford it.

I don't see Nonis being the guy to take over though. A new GM, a new start. I think they would wipe the slate clean. I do not see Burke fired this year though.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Duffman955

Although I feel that Burke's leash is becoming very short, I would extend him for 3 years.

He has had only 4 years in his rebuild and he started with absolute crap. A team needs more time for a complete face lift.

Look at Sather, it took him 12 years to get the team he wanted. I am not saying Burke's leash is that long, but I like the direction he is taking this team and he needs more time for his prospects to start paying off.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:27 AM
Nitrock

I would extend him for 3 years, give him the time to actually succeed. We probably couldn't find a better GM to fill his shoes anyways. He is one of the better GM's in the league if people like it or not. If he cant get it done, I don't see how many other GM's could.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Aplayaz2000

good direction

Old
07-24-2012, 01:32 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

You people voting for the extension are out of your ****ing minds. That is all.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:35 AM
darrylsittler27

Let's do this poll next year.

If he lands McKinnon,then extend him.Without a number one center,a number dman and a solid goalie,he has built the perfect team to do it.Can't blame him.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:36 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Although I feel that Burke's leash is becoming very short, I would extend him for 3 years.

He has had only 4 years in his rebuild and he started with absolute crap. A team needs more time for a complete face lift.

Look at Sather, it took him 12 years to get the team he wanted. I am not saying Burke's leash is that long, but I like the direction he is taking this team and he needs more time for his prospects to start paying off.
But he's still got crap! And Burke isn't even attempting a complete facelift. He's actually just keeping around the same old garbage that has crapped out every year of his term. This team needs a serious overhaul, yet Burke just keeps going, his arrogance driving him on to stay the course in the chance that the club he's built actually makes the playoffs and will let him give an "I told you so" speech to the media.

It's a pathetic sham. But what's even more pathetic is how many people are falling for it, and want to sign on to even more years of failure flavoured by arrogance and obnoxiousness.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Extend, Playoffs or not.

Hopefully the he fans and ownership have a much longer out look for the team then to say "it's playoffs or bust"

We're 3 1/2 years in now, He's cleared out all the Quinn/Fergie era players who weren't cutting it(Your Antropovs, Stajans and Ponikarovskys). The prospect pool is growing and we're starting to see some come through and look promising.

The one area that has been disappointing is July 1st, But that's reflection of the team success which Burke has some responsibility of, But he was left with a train wreck of a team and only few good prospects(Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Frattin) But the one thing he's done that should commended is save for Komo, Is he isn't tied up with bad long term deals. Or given any ridiculous long term contracts to just 'good' players i.e Leino, Carle, Wideman

To fire him next summer because we miss the playoffs in a probable lockout shorted season. Would have made the last 4 1/2 years(at that point) a waste of time. Then we'd be looking at another 3 or 4 years on top of that while the next guy rebuilds.

Closed Thread