HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Extend Burke?

View Poll Results: Extend Burke?
Hell, NO! 75 30.74%
Yes 1yr. 15 6.15%
Yes 2yr 65 26.64%
Yes 3+yr 89 36.48%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 04:29 AM
MorriPage

vCash: 500
I'm in the "extend him" camp. I'm thinking two more years is a good number. But for those who say he should be let go, I'm curious as to who you'd like to see replace him. We're always hearing people say "Fire Burke", and then that's the end of their sentence. Let's hear some names. "Fire Burke and hire...." who exactly?

Old
07-24-2012, 04:46 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Burkes and Leafs management rebuild plan will hit their climax in the summer of 2013.

Externally:
-All the bad contracts expire. Connolly and Lombardi.

Internally:
-Hopefully Kadri and Scrivens breaks out, Rielly makes the team, we get an NHL ready top 5 prospect.
-Kessel, Grabs, Lupul, and Phanuef maintain their roles.
-Kulemin, Frattin, JVR, Franson, Gardiner, Holzer and Reimer take the next step in their development.

To 2013 UFAs, we could be a young up and coming team, in a great city and hockey market to play in and with a Stanley Cup management and coaching staff by next year.

Only fair to let Burke be a part of that.
Agreed 100%.

This is the point where there will be very few (if any stopgaps) going forward, whereas before, we basically had a team full of stopgaps. I'm sure the majority of contracts expiring just after the CBA is no coincidence. It only makes sense to let Burke finish the job. He managed to turn the pile of crap he had when he came in to some very good assets, and while he still has some holes to fill, I believe going into the new CBA era with such cap flexibility will serve him well.

This year will most likely be a transition of a sort, going from full out run and gun to defensively responsible hockey. It will not happen overnight. I expect Carlyle and Eakins to have lengthy discussions about the system our prospects utilize, and I would expect some adjustments to make their transition to the Leafs lineup smoother.

I'd like to see his contract extended to a minimum of 2 years, regardless of our standings.

Old
07-24-2012, 05:32 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he under contract until November 2014? Since that is over 2 years away, why even think about it until somewhere around late 2013 or early 2014?

Old
07-24-2012, 06:47 AM
theTTC

Every GM in the NHL is "stockpiling assets", so his efforts are simply what every manager is hired to accomplish. By the time our youth is ready for NHL duty, so will everybody else's.

Since Brian's been in control the Leaf team has not been configured to compete for a playoff spot, heck, he even said he doesn't want to be in the playoffs unless we can likely win the Cup. And this coming season is, by all experts prognostications, a non-playoff one... again.

His free agent signings have not made us competitive for a playoff spot, instead they have just enough talent to mire us at the familiar just-missed-the-playoffs-and-no-top-draft-pick standing Leaf fans have come to loath.

Now with Randy at the coaching helm we will undergo a third major roster "retool" to accommodate his preferred style of play. A core team has not been assembled and left to gel and develop chemistry for a couple of years.

This is all insane. JFJ's work was no worse. Brian-the-GM = Fail. No extension.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:52 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
Fire him, Let Nonis take over, he seems to be more about developing players and building thru the draft, and most importantly he doesn't ******** around with the media.
How he talks to the media is more important to you in a GM than how he builds his team? Lol.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:52 AM
SprDaVE

I don't see how you can extend him when the team hasn't been any better since he came here. It actually keeps getting worst.

It may look better on paper but until results are shown, his job can't be prolonged.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:56 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

I look forward to Burke being extended for 6 more years.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:04 AM
ACC1224

Last weeks thread on the exact topic for comparison.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...223627&page=41

I'm part of the vast majority who'd like to see him extended.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:10 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Yep. Burkes prospect are just starting to become nhlers now. stopgaps will be let loose. hes building the team properly, people in toronto just arent used to seeing it

Old
07-24-2012, 07:17 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Last weeks thread on the exact topic for comparison.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...223627&page=41

I'm part of the vast majority who'd like to see him extended.

I was going to post this as well. Last poll the majority wanted him extended and by the looks of this one so far, it's still the same. Wonder if this will reach 1000 posts?

I voted extend him, just like I did the last poll.

Old
07-24-2012, 07:46 AM
FakeKidPoker*

He needs to be extended.

This is how his last year in Vancouver went he doesn't want to be a "lame duck" GM

Old
07-24-2012, 08:20 AM
KapG

Why's it gotta be a "Hell no"?

FWIW I voted no.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:39 AM
JackJ

At most I'd let him finish out his contract.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:39 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Maybe, maybe not. It'd be nice to see him continue to stockpile, give the potential new incoming GM with as many assets to work with as possible, all the while keeping a more open mind towards free agents, offer sheets and other dirty tricks. If Burke can't advance the rebuild to the next level, someone else will have to be brought in to do it for him.
I voted HELL NO...but my choice would have been No but with the provision that if things looked much better (ie not a bottom 10 finish), then perhaps a couple more years. Otherwise, personally I've seen enough of his work.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:47 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

I say 1 year. Let's see what he does with the UFA market. There's a reason all our dead weight contracts expire the same season, and there's going to be lots of UFA talent. I think after his second season here, the gears changed and that became his master plan.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Ricky Bobby

Extend him. He needs more time. When it comes to building a team there is a lag period between making deals and seeing the results.

Burke has made some mistakes but also made some great moves.

Far to often GMs get praised for walking into a good situation. And far to often other GMs get blamed for walking into a bad situation.

Gillis, Shero, Chiarelli, Lombardi and even Burke when in Anahiem walked into jobs under extremely good circumstances with multiple top end assets ready to start hitting their primes years shortly after they took over their teams.

On the flipside a lot of GMs who get trashed in the media walked in under bad circumstances.

Just like Sather who was being trashed for a long time cause he inherited not such a great team. Now he's being praised but it took him a decade to get there.

Just like Murray was being trashed in Ottawa last year. The truth was he was largely just living with mistakes made by the previous GM in Muckler and the team was in a downward cycle after being successful for years.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:10 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
I say 1 year. Let's see what he does with the UFA market. There's a reason all our dead weight contracts expire the same season, and there's going to be lots of UFA talent. I think after his second season here, the gears changed and that became his master plan.
has he not had a UFA market to play with the last several seasons?

What makes you think he is actually going to make a big splash in this one? That's if any of the big names actually even make it to UFA status..

Old
07-24-2012, 10:49 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post

What makes you think he is actually going to make a big splash in this one? That's if any of the big names actually even make it to UFA status..
Hahahaha....yeah just one more UFA opportunity..just one more draft or just one more big trade...just one more etc....

Cant believe how many fans love this guy. Its a little disturbing yet not surprising.

No results (substantial improvement in the standings) this year should = Off with head.

No doubt about it.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:54 AM
EazyB97

Quote:

Next offseason should have more clarification on "retirement" contracts, which seems to be Burke's big concern with superstar UFAs.

Old
07-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Hahahaha....yeah just one more UFA opportunity..just one more draft or just one more big trade...just one more etc....

Cant believe how many fans love this guy. Its a little disturbing yet not surprising.

No results (substantial improvement in the standings) this year should = Off with head.

No doubt about it.
Wait up, not so fast here.

For those Leaf Fans that wanted a draft rebuild, we couldn't have hoped for better results from Burke to support our cause.. Excluding of course when he can't control himself through impatience, and trades away Leafs top draft picks that is..

We're talking a GM telling fans he intends to ice a team capable of competing for the playoffs each year and instead can't get out of the bottom 10 in the NHL in any season finishing bottom 5 in 2 of the past 3 seasons standings.

His failure to meet his own goals & objectives places the team in sellers mode at the trade deadline, and forces him into dealing vets Kaberle, Beauchemin etc for picks and prospects to salvage another lost season. Then you factor in that after 4 seasons of rebuilding Leafs are getting to select in the draft lottery 5th overall and add Morgan Rielly type prospects to the pool the results are positive ones big picture. Kaberle doesn't waive his NTC if Leafs are in a playoff spot at trade deadline, and Beauchemin isn't dealt if the season isn't a complete disaster by Burke bulking up the team through trades and ineffective UFA signings and the team plummeting to the bottom.

If Burke came out and said he was intentionally tanking for high picks, we couldn't have possibly hoped for any better results than 2nd, 9th and 5th last the past 3 seasons. Only Edm, NYI and Columbus have accumulated less combined wins/points as organizations during Burke's tenure.

So lets not be too quick to pull the plug and end this gravy train of prospect pool increase for draft rebuild Leaf Nation just yet.

Last edited by Mess: 07-24-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old
07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

For those Leaf Fans that wanted a draft rebuild, we couldn't have hoped for better results from Burke to support our cause.. Excluding of course when he can't control himself through impatience, and trades away Leafs top draft picks that is..

Were talking a GM telling fans he intends to ice a team capable of competing for the playoffs each year and instead can't get out of the bottom 10 in the NHL in any season finishing bottom 5 in 2 of the past 3 seasons.

His failure to meet his own goals & objectives places the team in sellers mode at the trade deadline, and forces him into dealing vets Kaberle, Beauchemin etc for picks and prospects to salvage another lost season. Then you factor in that after 4 seasons of rebuilding Leafs are getting to select in the draft lottery 5th overall and ass Morgan Rielly type prospects.

If Burke came out and said he was intentionally tanking for high picks, we couldn't have possibly hoped for any better results than 2nd, 9th and 5th last the past 3 seasons. Only Edm, NYI and Columbus have accumulated less combined wins/points as organizations during Burke's tenure.

So lets not be too quick to pull the plug and end this gravy train of prospect pool increase for draft rebuild Leaf Nation just yet.
Nice Post Mess. But I give you the award for the most sarcastic post in 2012. Congratulations.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
cynicism

No. The Leafs had major 3 holes when he joined: Poor prospects, no goaltening, no true #1 centre. He's only plugged one of those holes, and even that one is rather ambiguous.

If he fixes those holes and the Leafs *gasp* manage to make the playoffs in a league where more than 50% of the teams make the playoffs ever year, extend him. Otherwise, he can sail on a cloud of his own hot air out of town.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post

No doubt about it.
New CBA might make Burke more comfortable giving the needed years guy want to get them signed. Arguably a better availablity. Positional players that fit good with Burke's plans. I'm sure he'll do everything in his power to sign Getzlaf..

Old
07-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Orbital

Depends on if he gets Bernier or not! If not,get Kevin Lowe's ph#.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

Were talking a GM telling fans he intends to ice a team capable of competing for the playoffs each year and instead can't get out of the bottom 10 in the NHL in any season finishing bottom 5 in 2 of the past 3 seasons standings.

His failure to meet his own goals & objectives places the team in sellers mode at the trade deadline, and forces him into dealing vets Kaberle, Beauchemin etc for picks and prospects to salvage another lost season. Then you factor in that after 4 seasons of rebuilding Leafs are getting to select in the draft lottery 5th overall and add Morgan Rielly type prospects to the pool the results are positive ones big picture. Kaberle doesn't waive his NTC if Leafs are in a playoff spot at trade deadline, and Beauchemin isn't dealt if the season isn't a complete disaster by Burke bulking up the team through trades and ineffective UFA signings and the team plummeting to the bottom.

I hate all of those ineffective UFA signings that Burke has done. It would have been so much better if we could have rushed many of our prospects to the NHL or had so much capspace that can't be carried forward.

How dare Burke sign Beauchemin without giving up anything but cap space and turn him into a complete steal of deal. How dare Burke still be able to gain extra assets this year after he trades some or all of Connolly, Bozak and CMac. Lombardi as well who already gained us Franson. I forgot how free agents must be dying to play for a non-contender like the Leafs and as many Leafs fans hope for less money then they could get elsewhere.

How dare Burke keep Kaberle and try to compete for the playoffs which didn't work out but still be able to convince him to agree to a trade and get a heck of a return in the process.

Toronto was just as big of a mess or even bigger mess as the Blue Jackets, Oilers and Islanders were when Burke took over.

Out of those 4 teams only the Oilers would be considered in a better spot today. BUT take away Eberle who was drafted 22nd overall the same year that Fletcher traded up to get Schenn and the difference isn't that big.

The Oilers have also had the luck of winning the lottery 3 years in a row. Ask the people at the Blue Jackets draft party how happy they were about losing out on Yakupov.

Closed Thread