HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Extend Burke?

View Poll Results: Extend Burke?
Hell, NO! 75 30.74%
Yes 1yr. 15 6.15%
Yes 2yr 65 26.64%
Yes 3+yr 89 36.48%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2012, 02:17 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Unlike baseball there is something called a hard salary cap which Toronto has spent to every year.
With absolutely brilliant moves like...

1. The Grabo signing.

2. Bringing in Armstrong.

3. Giving huge cash to Komi so he can sit in the pressbox.

4. Giving huge cash to Connolly to float and play third-line mins.

Etc.

Sorry, saying that the Leafs spend to the cap is not a good way to defend Burke.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Derlago View Post
I hate to use the Flyers as an example (mainly because I don't like them), but you can't argue that they've haven't been successful. Since the early 90's, they have missed the playoffs once. They've been a perennial playoff contender before and after the salary cap was brought in.

Why have the Flyers been so successful for almost 20 years? They are aggressive and are willing to do anything to win. You can't say that about the Leafs under Brian Burke. Burke has made some aggressive moves as Leafs GM, but they were the wrong moves. During the entire time he has been in Toronto, Burke has been unable to obtain a #1 goalie or #1 centre that are worthy of a playoff-calibre team, and any other failure Burke has experienced as Leafs GM has been a result of this.
Are you actually trying to help me prove my point well arguing against me?

You say that Burke should be like the Flyers but then talk about all of the deals and success that they had prior to the time when Burke took over the Leafs.

I'm certain Burke also would have been estatic to inherit a team with valuable assets like Carter, Richards, Giroux, etc. but that isn't what he walked into.

How long exactly has Burke been here?

I'll answer that question to save you from further embarrasing yourself. Not long at all when it comes to building a team.

Last time I checked upon Burke arriving we also didn't have an elite sniper (Kessel), a 1st line winger (Lupul), a # 1 dman (Phaneuf), a big body forward with 60+ point potential (JVR) and another potential top pairing dman (Gardiner).

Old
07-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Bill Derlago

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
The comment wasn't really meant to spark a Kessel trade debate. It was more about the depth of the organizations. For the Flyers over the past 5-6 years compared to the Leafs the last 2-3 years. The Kessel deal is a prime example of how the Leafs could ill afford for a trade to backfire, which it has, whereas Philly has the depth to accomodate 6 1st round picks+Lupul and Sbisa for Pronger who got injured and replaced by Webber (maybe).

Holmgren has taken a very aggressive approach, and has yet to succeed. Maybe someday he will, but also maybe someday it will bite him in the ass.

He's traded away 1st round picks in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013,2014,2015, 2016. Isn't that the kind of trading that people here are so angry about with the Leafs?
IMO, Holmgren's approach has been very successful. The team he inherited from Bobby Clarke finished with 56 points, but since that season, the Flyers have won seven playoff series while the Leafs have not even qualified for one. If Holmgren missed the playoffs for four years in a row, he would be ejected from Philadelphia via catapult.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
I think Boston FLEECED us in one of the most embarrassing fashions I've ever seen. Imagine... assessing a player as expendable, trading him for picks, WINNING THE CUP (thus proving he was expendable), and then drafting 2nd overall and 9th overall (and 32nd overall... measly 2 spots away from another 1st). Acquiring a franchise centerman and the current highest ranked defensive prospect in the world... during two deep stanley cup runs. What did they lose? A player they deemed expendable, that they had no problem winning the cup without.
It's just so ridiculous.

In regards to Burke "fleecing" Calgary... yikes.
We traded scraps to a team for a player that team didn't even want (due to being DRAMATICALLY overpaid.)
We lost scraps, and have the dramatically overpaid player. They have scraps, and got rid of the frivolous cap hit.
Seems like a wash.

And yes, I always liked the Lupul trade. It's one of the only good things Burke did. Kaberle trade was a wash. Boston desperately needed defensive depth for their cup run. So they over paid a bit, AND THEN WON THE CUP!!! They wouldn't say they lost... neither would I.

So, for Burke's record, I'd say he's done numerous DISASTERS, a few washes, and pathetically few "good" moves. All as the highest paid GM in league history.
It's just not good enough. Nowhere NEAR good enough.
Totally agree with everything. The Kessel trade could only have been made by the Leafs. Fitted in perfectly with the history of horrific management that the Leafs have endured since Ballard, with the brief exception of the Fletcher era.

The Lupul trade was good, although it was also a huge gamble. It's the one Burke gamble that's paid off. Well, so far. We'll see how Lupul does this year coming off yet another injury. In the end, last year's performance may be just another oasis in a career full of deserts.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:23 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Leafs fan realists would have no problem at all if our picks and prospects were all traded... provided we were an actual competitive team... like Philly.
That's simply not true of everyone. Many many many are angry at Quinn for trading away 1st rounders when the Leafs were competitive.

Also, Philly has a long way to go to prove they are legit contenders. This is a team that has lost Pronger, Richards and Carter in the last 14 months. That's a lot to make up for, and with their goaltending as bad as it's been, who knows. All they need is one year of sucking and the 4 1st round picks come back to haunt them. Right?

Old
07-24-2012, 02:24 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Quote:
Are you actually trying to help me prove my point well arguing against me?

You say that Burke should be like the Flyers but then talk about all of the deals and success that they had prior to the time when Burke took over the Leafs.

I'm certain Burke also would have been estatic to inherit a team with valuable assets like Carter, Richards, Giroux, etc. but that isn't what he walked into.

How long exactly has Burke been here?

I'll answer that question to save you from further embarrasing yourself. Not long at all when it comes to building a team.

Last time I checked upon Burke arriving we also didn't have an elite sniper (Kessel), a 1st line winger (Lupul), a # 1 dman (Phaneuf), a big body forward with 60+ point potential (JVR) and another potential top pairing dman (Gardiner).
You can call these players whatever you want on paper. The reality is that the team overall has been bottom-five in the NHL since Burke took over. All these posts about "elite" this and "first-line" that amount to absolutely nothing in the face of the simple fact that the Leafs have not come close to making the playoffs under Burke. And even the most optimistic poster here would have to admit that the chances of the Leafs getting in this year are very, very slim, barring some serious trades or a pile of players (including Reimer) having career seasons.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
With absolutely brilliant moves like...

1. The Grabo signing.

2. Bringing in Armstrong.

3. Giving huge cash to Komi so he can sit in the pressbox.

4. Giving huge cash to Connolly to float and play third-line mins.

Etc.

Sorry, saying that the Leafs spend to the cap is not a good way to defend Burke.
Grabo would have gotten that money elsewhere. Take a look at what other UFAs have signed for recently. Borderline 2nd liners now go for 4 million or more. Established 2nd liners go for in the 5s and 1st liners are 6+

UFAs get overpaid. UFAs especially get overpaid by bad teams, why do you expect this not to apply to the Leafs?

Where else do you suppose we spent that money last summer then Connolly well at the same time not giving up any prospects?

Old
07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
IMO, Holmgren's approach has been very successful. The team he inherited from Bobby Clarke finished with 56 points, but since that season, the Flyers have won seven playoff series while the Leafs have not even qualified for one. If Holmgren missed the playoffs for four years in a row, he would be ejected from Philadelphia via catapult.
Well, if we stop comparing them to the Leafs, they aren't quite as successful.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
I hate to use the Flyers as an example (mainly because I don't like them), but you can't argue that they've haven't been successful. Since the early 90's, they have missed the playoffs once. They've been a perennial playoff contender before and after the salary cap was brought in.

Why have the Flyers been so successful for almost 20 years? They are aggressive and are willing to do anything to win. You can't say that about the Leafs under Brian Burke. Burke has made some aggressive moves as Leafs GM, but they were the wrong moves. During the entire time he has been in Toronto, Burke has been unable to obtain a #1 goalie or #1 centre that are worthy of a playoff-calibre team, and any other failure Burke has experienced as Leafs GM has been a result of this.
So the Flyer's 20 years of success is used to compare Burke's 3.5 year tenure?

Detroit has been far more successful in the last 20 years using a patient, organizational development model than Philly has been using their aggression.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Oh, well, I guess the Flyers struck out on the Webber sweepstakes.

Great job, Preds.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
You can call these players whatever you want on paper. The reality is that the team overall has been bottom-five in the NHL since Burke took over. All these posts about "elite" this and "first-line" that amount to absolutely nothing in the face of the simple fact that the Leafs have not come close to making the playoffs under Burke. And even the most optimistic poster here would have to admit that the chances of the Leafs getting in this year are very, very slim, barring some serious trades or a pile of players (including Reimer) having career seasons.
Yes, Burke needs more time to continue to acquire key assets. The longer the period of time he has to move away from the gongshow that was Richard Peddies puppet GM JFJ the more fairly we can assess Burke.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Yes, Burke needs more time to continue to acquire key assets. The longer the period of time he has to move away from the gongshow that was Richard Peddies puppet GM JFJ the more fairly we can assess Burke.
No.
I'm going to assess him right now.

After four years of utter futility, we have a prospect pool full of 3rd liners.

He sucks, and he needs to go.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:43 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
No.
I'm going to assess him right now.

After four years of utter futility, we have a prospect pool full of 3rd liners.

He sucks, and he needs to go.
Ya because you are an astute scout.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Do you think maybe upon taking over the team and having Carter and Richards ready to establish themselves and then Giroux a few years later maybe having something to do with that?

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 07-24-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old
07-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
Ya because you are an astute scout.
No. I listen to rankings made from consensus of nhl pro scouts.

As opposed to saying "I 'like' the leafs, so that means that their prospects are good."

Old
07-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
I think Boston FLEECED us in one of the most embarrassing fashions I've ever seen. Imagine... assessing a player as expendable, trading him for picks, WINNING THE CUP (thus proving he was expendable), and then drafting 2nd overall and 9th overall (and 32nd overall... measly 2 spots away from another 1st). Acquiring a franchise centerman and the current highest ranked defensive prospect in the world... during two deep stanley cup runs. What did they lose? A player they deemed expendable, that they had no problem winning the cup without.
It's just so ridiculous.

We traded scraps to a team for a player that team didn't even want (due to being DRAMATICALLY overpaid.)
We lost scraps, and have the dramatically overpaid player. They have scraps, and got rid of the frivolous cap hit.
Seems like a wash.

And yes, I always liked the Lupul trade. It's one of the only good things Burke did. Kaberle trade was a wash. Boston desperately needed defensive depth for their cup run. So they over paid a bit, AND THEN WON THE CUP!!! They wouldn't say they lost... neither would I.

So, for Burke's record, I'd say he's done numerous DISASTERS, a few washes, and pathetically few "good" moves. All as the highest paid GM in league history.
You left out the part where Boston never wanted to trade Kessel. They also happened to make there fair share of other deals to win that cup. It was a high risk trade that could've ended up being a landslide victory by Burke. It didn't but Kessel is still a heck of a player.

For Phaneuf, take a look at what it took it for the Sharks to acquire a comparable player in Burns and then try to tell me that wasn't a huge win by Burke. If Phaneuf wasn't overpaid at the time of the deal how do you suppose we'd have gotten him for so little. Phaneuf has regained form and isn't overpaid by much anymore. He isn't a Norris trophy dman but he is a # 1 dman and potential all star dman (was last season).

You say the Kaberle trade was a wash but then two sentences later say Boston overpaid. So which is it?

We also netted Gardiner in the Lupul deal.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:

As opposed to saying "I 'like' the leafs, so that means that their prospects are good."
Are these the same scouts that pegged Iginla to be a 3rd liner?

Old
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
It's just so ridiculous.

Seems like a wash.

Eh, the way DP played last year i would say his cap hit is in the ballpark of 500k/1m over. Not so horrid realy, plus we have Ashton in the stable now also.

As for the Kabber trade , well it's a deacent trade. Colb,Biggs,Liles for Kaber,Tor 2011 2nd . Before his injury one could argue that JML was giving us what Kaber used to.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:

Lets not go to overboard with Philly love here.

If it was not for 3 amazing draft picks, (Gir,Rich,Cart) and 1 brilliant trade. The 1rst for Hart/Timmo then this is a vastly different looking franchise.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:

Easy now big fella, Gardner and Rielly is a pretty good start, depth in Frans,Holz Percy ,Blacker, Finn.
Not to bad a foundation on D

Riems,Scrivs,Ryns,Owy,Sparks decent? Hard to say, tenders have got to be the most unpredictable position to judge in all of sports. I just know when i see a bad tender (Tosk Rayc), never had an eye for one that could be good.

Kess/JVR/Kuli/Frat/Kad/Colb/Asht/Bigg/McK/Ross, is a alright youth movement.

Mind you when this tear down started 5 years ago one should expect something in the system, 4 years of top 7 and 1 top 10, along with 5- 2nds under the 40 slot. Not to mention what is to be added when you sell off your entire roster for players and picks.

One would think that after 5 years of utter futility and selling off everything we had, that we would have a roster/ Amet system that would have a little bit more drool factor to it , a little bit more hope.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
You left out the part where Boston never wanted to trade Kessel. They also happened to make there fair share of other deals to win that cup. It was a high risk trade that could've ended up being a landslide victory by Burke. It didn't but Kessel is still a heck of a player.
If people make excuses for his numerous mistakes, but applaud him for his (rare) successes, then they are apologists.
If people make excuses for his successes, but bombast his mistakes, then they are critics.
But if people make neither excuses nor apologies, but call him out on the magic numbers (7th, 2nd, 9th, 5th), and the lack of prospect depth from such horrid results (as supported from rankings made from consensus by nhl scouts) than they are simply realists.

Quote:
For Phaneuf, take a look at what it took it for the Sharks to acquire a comparable player in Burns and then try to tell me that wasn't a huge win by Burke. If Phaneuf wasn't overpaid at the time of the deal how do you suppose we'd have gotten him for so little. Phaneuf has regained form and isn't overpaid by much anymore. He isn't a Norris trophy dman but he is a # 1 dman and potential all star dman (was last season).
If Phaneuf had a decent cap hit, then we would have won the trade. But given that he's one of the most overpaid players in the league (and voted one of the most over-rated by the very players themselves), I'd call the trade a wash. I really doubt Calgary misses him much... just like we don't really miss Stajan and the crew.

Quote:
You say the Kaberle trade was a wash but then two sentences later say Boston overpaid. So which is it?
Boston overpaid to give them an extra kick in their cup run. If they were unsuccessful in their run, and gave up good assets, then they lost the trade. If they won the cup, and the assets didn't pan out, then they won the trade.
But if they win the cup, and the assets are good, then it's a wash.
Pretty simple really.
I'm always surprised when I have to spell these things out...

Old
07-24-2012, 03:46 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

[QUOTE=Faltorvo;52912823
One would think that after 5 years of utter futility and selling off everything we had, that we would have a roster/ Amet system that would have a little bit more drool factor to it , a little bit more hope.[/QUOTE]

There's some drool factor on our team. Kessel has drool factor.
Lupul might have drool factor (if he can repeat).
JVR has lots of potential to make us drool.
Kadri has some potential to make us drool too.

Grabovsky, Kulemin, MacA, Frattin may not have drool factor but as servicable 2nd/3rd line NHL players, they might make your mouth water (OK, this anology is a bit silly, but you get my point). I haven't given up on Colborne as others have done.

And well, I like the thought of Biggs and Ross as a 3rd line in the coming years.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:48 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
If Phaneuf had a decent cap hit, then we would have won the trade. But given that he's one of the most overpaid players in the league (and voted one of the most over-rated by the very players themselves), I'd call the trade a wash. I really doubt Calgary misses him much... just like we don't really miss Stajan and the crew.
Do you give merit to player polls?

Old
07-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Easy now big fella, Gardner and Rielly is a pretty good start, depth in Frans,Holz Percy ,Blacker, Finn.
Not to bad a foundation on D

Riems,Scrivs,Ryns,Owy,Sparks decent? Hard to say, tenders have got to be the most unpredictable position to judge in all of sports. I just know when i see a bad tender (Tosk Rayc), never had an eye for one that could be good.

Kess/JVR/Kuli/Frat/Kad/Colb/Asht/Bigg/McK/Ross, is a alright youth movement.

Mind you when this tear down started 5 years ago one should expect something in the system, 4 years of top 7 and 1 top 10, along with 5- 2nds under the 40 slot. Not to mention what is to be added when you sell off your entire roster for players and picks.

One would think that after 5 years of utter futility and selling off everything we had, that we would have a roster/ Amet system that would have a little bit more drool factor to it , a little bit more hope.
I admit that our defensive depth is somewhat close to where it should be. But given our highest paid GM ever, highest paid scouting department, and where we've finished the past four years, I wouldn't say it's great.

But our forward depth is pretty much a joke. It really is. And the key player in your "youth movement" quoted above is going into his 7th full time nhl season. I'm not saying he's a beaten down, lost a step veteran yet. But come on... I don't think we can really call him part of the "youth movement" anymore.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Do you give merit to player polls?
Yes. They're not the be all, end all... but I take them into consideration. Why wouldn't I? The players are actually out there with these guys.
Unlike most of the people here, I don't pick and choose stats to support. I'm a realist. It's just that the leafs have been SOOOO bad under Burke, that being realistic about them makes one appear as a negative nancy.

And I know the players voted Kessel as like the 15th best player currently in the nhl. I mean, he was 6th in points and 7th in goals. He had a great year. Stats don't lie.

Closed Thread