Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
CBC just reported that Twitter shut down the Calgary Police account last night because it was "too active".

They fixed it but wow - that is a serious headshaker.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
CBC just reported that Twitter shut down the Calgary Police account last night because it was "too active".

They fixed it but wow - that is a serious headshaker.
Some of the stations are shut down as well. I'm assuming it's because they need the resources elsewhere for more important priorities, but it's still a little odd.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:42 PM
herashak

would think they thought it was spam without even looking at the account

Old
06-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Some of the stations are shut down as well. I'm assuming it's because they need the resources elsewhere for more important priorities, but it's still a little odd.
While I agree it's necessary to conserve resources people running these things have to think this through a bit - The police account is one of the main ones necessary in a crisis. One would think that it would be one of the Big 3 (Fire and EMS being the others) that would have to keep going.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:49 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

The reason it was shut down is because each Twitter account has a max number of tweets it can send out per day. Obviously that's a bit ridiculous though in an emergency..

Old
06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Trae

Quote:
Sounds close - Are you sure you shouldn't be evacuating? Have you been checking the names of communities that are being cleared? I think they're still adding to the list as the situation changes.
We are on the river but are high up, as of right now we aren't evacuated, everyone else around us is but we are just keeping our ears open.

image.jpg

Old
06-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

To anyone who lives close to downtown, how's Stephen Avenue and TD Square looking? Is it flooded? Is anyone there? I work part time at The Metropolitan Grill and my manager isn't replying to my emails so I gotta decide whether or not I'm going to work tomorrow.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
To anyone who lives close to downtown, how's Stephen Avenue and TD Square looking? Is it flooded? Is anyone there? I work part time at The Metropolitan Grill and my manager isn't replying to my emails so I gotta decide whether or not I'm going to work tomorrow.
Judging by the photos and weather reports I can't see anyone going downtown tomorrow unless it's absolutely necessary. Sunday maybe.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

Quote:
Judging by the photos and weather reports I can't see anyone going downtown tomorrow unless it's absolutely necessary.
True but from what I've seen, all the flooding's happening in places right by the river. ie Stampede grounds and communities along the bow/elbow. Stephen ave's kind of far off, not to mention TD's indoors and is probably open right now.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Friendly bit of advice. You might want to start bottling some water because eventually you gotta think that a boil water warning will be coming.

Secondly, if you don't have much in the way of groceries, now might be a good time to go. With the train yards down, the highways washed out, there might be less food available than normal.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Friendly bit of advice. You might want to start bottling some water because eventually you gotta think that a boil water warning will be coming.

Secondly, if you don't have much in the way of groceries, now might be a good time to go. With the train yards down, the highways washed out, there might be less food available than normal.
I saw somewhere that the warning already came. Might have read it wrong though. Also, ya I went to a superstore to pick up some things and the place is jam packed.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:

Really really good advice!

Thank you.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
True but from what I've seen, all the flooding's happening in places right by the river. ie Stampede grounds and communities along the bow/elbow. Stephen ave's kind of far off, not to mention TD's indoors and is probably open right now.
The flooding itself is only a part of the story. Keep an eye on access to downtown from outlying areas. Who's going to be able to get downtown as this situation unfolds?

Old
06-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

Quote:
The flooding itself is only a part of the story. Keep an eye on access to downtown from outlying areas. Who's going to be able to get downtown as this situation unfolds?
Touché okay i'm not going.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 470
Quote:

Great advice.

Be prepared - grocery stores are extremely busy -- and running out of water fast.

Might also want to think of filling a bathtub with water too.

Old
06-21-2013, 05:48 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

For anyone looking for a bit of humor - I went to grab some food at the gold club near my house and this guy... haha, there are no words. Gotta get that round in. Enjoy.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:23 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
How are there no shots of the inside of the dome yet? Someone has to be in there taking pictures.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
How are there no shots of the inside of the dome yet? Someone has to be in there taking pictures.
This is a crazy suggestion but maybe it's because people have better things to do right now than to take pictures in a crisis situation. Also, probably because it's prohibited because what building owner would want to show off the fact that their structures are damaged?

Old
06-21-2013, 11:15 PM
FlamesFanatic12
The Next Owski

All Dome employees have been told not to go there, and the public wouldn't be allowed there, due ot the flooding and evacuations. Not to mention, who the **** cares about the saddledome when peoples homes are being destroyed?

Old
06-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Just curious, if the water is overtop of the doorways, how do you expect someone to go in and take pictures?

Old
06-21-2013, 11:34 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Just curious, if the water is overtop of the doorways, how do you expect someone to go in and take pictures?

How are the reporting how high it is? Someone has to be in there i would think.

perhaps with all the lights off its impossible to see inside.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
How are the reporting how high it is? Someone has to be in there i would think.

perhaps with all the lights off its impossible to see inside.
Some is likely estimates, it would have been evacuated a long time ago

Old
06-22-2013, 12:23 AM
FlamesFanatic12
The Next Owski

There are probably a couple police at the dome just ot be safe, in case some idiots try to go get in or get too close, there may be certain entrances where they can access the building, and are going in every so often to keep tabs on what is going on, you never know

Old
06-22-2013, 01:46 AM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanatic12 View Post
All Dome employees have been told not to go there, and the public wouldn't be allowed there, due ot the flooding and evacuations. Not to mention, who the **** cares about the saddledome when peoples homes are being destroyed?
True, the Saddledome is not the top priority here. When we do start looking at it though... Are the Flames even going to be in Calgary this upcoming season?

Old
06-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
True, the Saddledome is not the top priority here. When we do start looking at it though... Are the Flames even going to be in Calgary this upcoming season?
The Dome is mostly concrete and steel. Most of it should be fine. But they should be able to get things up and going prior to the home opener.

Closed Thread