HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2013, 01:33 PM
  #426
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,898
vCash: 500
CBC just reported that Twitter shut down the Calgary Police account last night because it was "too active".

They fixed it but wow - that is a serious headshaker.

Mike Jones is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:38 PM
  #427
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,631
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
CBC just reported that Twitter shut down the Calgary Police account last night because it was "too active".

They fixed it but wow - that is a serious headshaker.
Some of the stations are shut down as well. I'm assuming it's because they need the resources elsewhere for more important priorities, but it's still a little odd.

Calculon is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:42 PM
  #428
herashak
Registered User
 
herashak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,249
vCash: 50
would think they thought it was spam without even looking at the account

herashak is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:42 PM
  #429
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Some of the stations are shut down as well. I'm assuming it's because they need the resources elsewhere for more important priorities, but it's still a little odd.
While I agree it's necessary to conserve resources people running these things have to think this through a bit - The police account is one of the main ones necessary in a crisis. One would think that it would be one of the Big 3 (Fire and EMS being the others) that would have to keep going.

Mike Jones is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 01:49 PM
  #430
DBU
Yung Deebz
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,744
vCash: 464
The reason it was shut down is because each Twitter account has a max number of tweets it can send out per day. Obviously that's a bit ridiculous though in an emergency..

DBU is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
  #431
Trae
____________________
 
Trae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Sounds close - Are you sure you shouldn't be evacuating? Have you been checking the names of communities that are being cleared? I think they're still adding to the list as the situation changes.
We are on the river but are high up, as of right now we aren't evacuated, everyone else around us is but we are just keeping our ears open.

image.jpg

Trae is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:04 PM
  #432
MC Ride
Feels bad man
 
MC Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
To anyone who lives close to downtown, how's Stephen Avenue and TD Square looking? Is it flooded? Is anyone there? I work part time at The Metropolitan Grill and my manager isn't replying to my emails so I gotta decide whether or not I'm going to work tomorrow.

MC Ride is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:07 PM
  #433
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
To anyone who lives close to downtown, how's Stephen Avenue and TD Square looking? Is it flooded? Is anyone there? I work part time at The Metropolitan Grill and my manager isn't replying to my emails so I gotta decide whether or not I'm going to work tomorrow.
Judging by the photos and weather reports I can't see anyone going downtown tomorrow unless it's absolutely necessary. Sunday maybe.

Mike Jones is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:09 PM
  #434
MC Ride
Feels bad man
 
MC Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Judging by the photos and weather reports I can't see anyone going downtown tomorrow unless it's absolutely necessary.
True but from what I've seen, all the flooding's happening in places right by the river. ie Stampede grounds and communities along the bow/elbow. Stephen ave's kind of far off, not to mention TD's indoors and is probably open right now.

MC Ride is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:10 PM
  #435
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cochrane
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,231
vCash: 1127
Friendly bit of advice. You might want to start bottling some water because eventually you gotta think that a boil water warning will be coming.

Secondly, if you don't have much in the way of groceries, now might be a good time to go. With the train yards down, the highways washed out, there might be less food available than normal.

Flames Fanatic is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:11 PM
  #436
MC Ride
Feels bad man
 
MC Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Friendly bit of advice. You might want to start bottling some water because eventually you gotta think that a boil water warning will be coming.

Secondly, if you don't have much in the way of groceries, now might be a good time to go. With the train yards down, the highways washed out, there might be less food available than normal.
I saw somewhere that the warning already came. Might have read it wrong though. Also, ya I went to a superstore to pick up some things and the place is jam packed.

MC Ride is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:15 PM
  #437
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Friendly bit of advice. You might want to start bottling some water because eventually you gotta think that a boil water warning will be coming.

Secondly, if you don't have much in the way of groceries, now might be a good time to go. With the train yards down, the highways washed out, there might be less food available than normal.
Really really good advice!

Thank you.

Mike Jones is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:17 PM
  #438
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
True but from what I've seen, all the flooding's happening in places right by the river. ie Stampede grounds and communities along the bow/elbow. Stephen ave's kind of far off, not to mention TD's indoors and is probably open right now.
The flooding itself is only a part of the story. Keep an eye on access to downtown from outlying areas. Who's going to be able to get downtown as this situation unfolds?

Mike Jones is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 02:20 PM
  #439
MC Ride
Feels bad man
 
MC Ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
The flooding itself is only a part of the story. Keep an eye on access to downtown from outlying areas. Who's going to be able to get downtown as this situation unfolds?
Touché okay i'm not going.

MC Ride is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:02 PM
  #440
Ace Rimmer
Moderator
What a guy!
 
Ace Rimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Io
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 11,813
vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Friendly bit of advice. You might want to start bottling some water because eventually you gotta think that a boil water warning will be coming.

Secondly, if you don't have much in the way of groceries, now might be a good time to go. With the train yards down, the highways washed out, there might be less food available than normal.
Great advice.

Be prepared - grocery stores are extremely busy -- and running out of water fast.

Might also want to think of filling a bathtub with water too.

Ace Rimmer is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 05:48 PM
  #441
DBU
Yung Deebz
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,744
vCash: 464
For anyone looking for a bit of humor - I went to grab some food at the gold club near my house and this guy... haha, there are no words. Gotta get that round in. Enjoy.


DBU is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:23 PM
  #442
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
How are there no shots of the inside of the dome yet? Someone has to be in there taking pictures.

TylerSVT* is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 10:42 PM
  #443
Signature
Real Maple Syrup™
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 7,244
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
How are there no shots of the inside of the dome yet? Someone has to be in there taking pictures.
This is a crazy suggestion but maybe it's because people have better things to do right now than to take pictures in a crisis situation. Also, probably because it's prohibited because what building owner would want to show off the fact that their structures are damaged?

Signature is online now  
Old
06-21-2013, 11:15 PM
  #444
Bouma Fett
Booty Hunter
 
Bouma Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 50
All Dome employees have been told not to go there, and the public wouldn't be allowed there, due ot the flooding and evacuations. Not to mention, who the **** cares about the saddledome when peoples homes are being destroyed?

Bouma Fett is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 11:16 PM
  #445
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,255
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
How are there no shots of the inside of the dome yet? Someone has to be in there taking pictures.
Just curious, if the water is overtop of the doorways, how do you expect someone to go in and take pictures?

Method Man is online now  
Old
06-21-2013, 11:34 PM
  #446
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Just curious, if the water is overtop of the doorways, how do you expect someone to go in and take pictures?

How are the reporting how high it is? Someone has to be in there i would think.

perhaps with all the lights off its impossible to see inside.

TylerSVT* is offline  
Old
06-21-2013, 11:41 PM
  #447
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,255
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
How are the reporting how high it is? Someone has to be in there i would think.

perhaps with all the lights off its impossible to see inside.
Some is likely estimates, it would have been evacuated a long time ago

Method Man is online now  
Old
06-22-2013, 12:23 AM
  #448
Bouma Fett
Booty Hunter
 
Bouma Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 50
There are probably a couple police at the dome just ot be safe, in case some idiots try to go get in or get too close, there may be certain entrances where they can access the building, and are going in every so often to keep tabs on what is going on, you never know

Bouma Fett is offline  
Old
06-22-2013, 01:46 AM
  #449
saillias
Registered User
 
saillias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanatic12 View Post
All Dome employees have been told not to go there, and the public wouldn't be allowed there, due ot the flooding and evacuations. Not to mention, who the **** cares about the saddledome when peoples homes are being destroyed?
True, the Saddledome is not the top priority here. When we do start looking at it though... Are the Flames even going to be in Calgary this upcoming season?

saillias is offline  
Old
06-22-2013, 01:54 AM
  #450
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,255
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
True, the Saddledome is not the top priority here. When we do start looking at it though... Are the Flames even going to be in Calgary this upcoming season?
The Dome is mostly concrete and steel. Most of it should be fine. But they should be able to get things up and going prior to the home opener.

Method Man is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.