Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

The OT Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2012, 11:58 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I doubt all of the owners are banded together as well. I'm sure 25% of the league owners are desperate to receive their proposal, while the others would obviously like to see it accepted, I doubt all the owners really give a **** about their competitors staying afloat and making money. These are competitive, pitbull businessmen that walk into the meanest board rooms for a living. They simply have no mercy on the weak.

The player's however, really look banded together. It's almost as if they dragged this whole thing out on purpose, come out looking squeaky clean PR wise, all while prepared to play hockey at other leagues. With the KHL dying to make a name of itself in the hockey scene, what concerns do the player's really have?

Old
08-28-2012, 01:36 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I doubt all of the owners are banded together as well. I'm sure 25% of the league owners are desperate to receive their proposal, while the others would obviously like to see it accepted, I doubt all the owners really give a **** about their competitors staying afloat and making money. These are competitive, pitbull businessmen that walk into the meanest board rooms for a living. They simply have no mercy on the weak.

The player's however, really look banded together. It's almost as if they dragged this whole thing out on purpose, come out looking squeaky clean PR wise, all while prepared to play hockey at other leagues. With the KHL dying to make a name of itself in the hockey scene, what concerns do the player's really have?
I seriously doubt all the players are ready to pack up and move overseas for a year.. If it comes down to it, I'm sure many will, but I would bet there are plenty of players concerned about staying home and playing NHL hockey

Old
08-28-2012, 04:53 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
I'm now optimistic that there will be an NHL season this year.

Old
08-28-2012, 08:01 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I'm now optimistic that there will be an NHL season this year.
Bettman puts in a "meaningful' counter-proposal the same day this happens: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403970#YourCallTop

Just a coincidence? Well if that doesn't put the pressure on, I'm sure the story that players are looking overseas certainly will.

I'm pretty sure the NHLPA has Gary Bettman's man-hood wedged in a vice.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:22 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Bettman puts in a "meaningful' counter-proposal the same day this happens: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403970#YourCallTop

Just a coincidence? Well if that doesn't put the pressure on, I'm sure the story that players are looking overseas certainly will.

I'm pretty sure the NHLPA has Gary Bettman's man-hood wedged in a vice.
Wow NHLPA should do this, if what Dreger reported is accurate. decent deal, but only 6 years, so maybe the PA locks in more time on their counter. But I'm more optimistic when the NHL is willing to put those numbers on the table.

Hopefully a deal is done soon and we miss nothing, I'm excited to see what Hartley can do with this club.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:08 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Wow NHLPA should do this, if what Dreger reported is accurate. decent deal, but only 6 years, so maybe the PA locks in more time on their counter. But I'm more optimistic when the NHL is willing to put those numbers on the table.

Hopefully a deal is done soon and we miss nothing, I'm excited to see what Hartley can do with this club.
I doubt the players sign this CBA, rollbacks or not. The league has increased revenue each season and will see an even bigger increase in revenue next season, yet the owner's expect the player's to take a 5.4% cut next season? Plus the player's take a hit towards their Escrow fund.

And how does Bettman's proposal help the struggling teams? His solution is a band-aid for something that needs surgery. As revenue increases for the teams with television deals, fan bases, and merchandise sales, then the cap goes up. Small market owners trying to grow their franchose only see a slight increase in revenue but an increase in salary costs.

Besides, players aren't going to take a 50-50 split under the current cap system because cheap teams won't spend to the cap, regardless if it was 5 bucks. Therefore it's not really a 50-50 split.

Old
08-30-2012, 07:56 PM
MarkGio

Cammy was on TSN talking about how he's dying to play hockey and that he'll go elsewhere. I really hope the NHL doesn't lock-out, otherwise Cammy will sign a 1 yr KHL contract and we'll be stuck without our #1 centre.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:18 AM
MarkGio

With NHL talks recessed right now, I'm afraid we'll have a shortened season at least. I'm still rooting for the players right now.

Old
09-01-2012, 01:29 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
With NHL talks recessed right now, I'm afraid we'll have a shortened season at least. I'm still rooting for the players right now.
How can you root both sides are equally greedy and neither is serious about sitting down and fixing the problems. The owners and the players both want more money that is our money as the sport only survives due to us the fans. The majority of us just want hockey back so **** choosing sides, they have had several months to talk about the CBA but both sides waited until there was little time left and now we are about to miss out on atleast the start of a season if not an entire season. There is a reason that Hockey is viewed as the little brother to the other sports and it is because of they can't stop locking out every time the cba runs out.

Old
09-01-2012, 02:31 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
How can you root both sides are equally greedy and neither is serious about sitting down and fixing the problems. The owners and the players both want more money that is our money as the sport only survives due to us the fans. The majority of us just want hockey back so **** choosing sides, they have had several months to talk about the CBA but both sides waited until there was little time left and now we are about to miss out on atleast the start of a season if not an entire season. There is a reason that Hockey is viewed as the little brother to the other sports and it is because of they can't stop locking out every time the cba runs out.
I just feel for the players. People talk about how their annual salary is more than people make in a life time but tend to forget that most NHL players are career AHLers and only play 2 seasons of NHL. Moreover, NHL players have a significantly reduced working career and have high-risk jobs.

I compare working as a hockey professional as risky as a roofer. An 8 hour day roofer compared to a 1/2 hour day hockey player (60 mins at 82 games a year work schedule) are likely to have the same disabling injury rate. I'd argue that NHL players have a significantly higher rate because there is less hockey players to roofers.

It's a very dangerous job and it doesn't last very long. Players like Chucko have to save up money in their tiny working career to stay afloat. Because I'm not an owner, I tend to feel for them.

Old
09-02-2012, 12:57 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I just feel for the players. People talk about how their annual salary is more than people make in a life time but tend to forget that most NHL players are career AHLers and only play 2 seasons of NHL. Moreover, NHL players have a significantly reduced working career and have high-risk jobs.

I compare working as a hockey professional as risky as a roofer. An 8 hour day roofer compared to a 1/2 hour day hockey player (60 mins at 82 games a year work schedule) are likely to have the same disabling injury rate. I'd argue that NHL players have a significantly higher rate because there is less hockey players to roofers.

It's a very dangerous job and it doesn't last very long. Players like Chucko have to save up money in their tiny working career to stay afloat. Because I'm not an owner, I tend to feel for them.
2 seasons in the Nhl is over a million dollars + the 10+ years in the Ahl which is probably around 500k so no I don't feel bad. I find strippers entertaining but I don't think they need a wage increase either. The only way you can compare it to a roofer is if said roofer is in a union if not the roofer is screwed if they get hurt. I am not saying that I feel the owners are the good guys but you can't compare it to a normal job because it is not a normal job. Nfl players don't even have guaranteed contracts that is something I do feel bad about as it would be extremely stressful knowing if you get hurt you may not get paid.

Old
09-02-2012, 11:33 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
2 seasons in the Nhl is over a million dollars + the 10+ years in the Ahl which is probably around 500k so no I don't feel bad. I find strippers entertaining but I don't think they need a wage increase either. The only way you can compare it to a roofer is if said roofer is in a union if not the roofer is screwed if they get hurt. I am not saying that I feel the owners are the good guys but you can't compare it to a normal job because it is not a normal job. Nfl players don't even have guaranteed contracts that is something I do feel bad about as it would be extremely stressful knowing if you get hurt you may not get paid.
So who can retire off a million dollars under 30? Maybe a million in your account at 65 years old, but even then you're on a budget now a days.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...o-retires.html

This guy retired at 25 yrs old experiencing the following symptoms: dizziness, vision, sensitivity to light, sensitivity to sound, nausea, sickness. So how's he going to work? Do you think he has enough hockey career money to support a family and retire? Like christ, have a heart.

And comparing them to strippers? These young men train their ***** off from their young teenage years up until the rest of their working career to keep their job!! These young men have to constantly act appropriately, give to charity, etc., and you're comparing them to some of society's black sheep? WTF?!?

I compared them to roofers in regards to disabling injury rate. Every roofer except for self employed get WCB, so union or not... Hockey players are basically ask to put themselves in harm's way and unlike you and I, they don't have the right to refuse unsafe work. I love playing hockey casually, but I see some things on the competitive level that are down right scary dangerous. These players are warriors.

I'm sorry, I think you're way off. People call them entertainers so they rip on them. But they're our teenage boys and girls except that they made it big. That's all. They clearly are different from the owner's.

Last edited by MarkGio: 09-02-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old
09-02-2012, 12:04 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
So who can retire off a million dollars under 30? Maybe a million in your account at 65 years old, but even then you're on a budget now a days.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...o-retires.html

This guy retired at 25 yrs old experiencing the following symptoms: dizziness, vision, sensitivity to light, sensitivity to sound, nausea, sickness. So how's he going to work? Do you think he has enough hockey career money to support a family and retire? Like christ, have a heart.

And comparing them to strippers? These young men train their ***** off from their young teenage years up until the rest of their working career to keep their job!! These young men have to constantly act appropriately, give to charity, etc., and you're comparing them to some of society's black sheep? WTF?!?

I compared them to roofers in regards to disabling injury rate. Every roofer except for self employed get WCB, so union or not... Hockey players are basically ask to put themselves in harm's way and unlike you and I, they don't have the right to refuse unsafe work. I love playing hockey casually, but I see some things on the competitive level that are down right scary dangerous. These players are warriors.

I'm sorry, I think you're way off. People call them entertainers so they rip on them. But they're our teenage boys and girls except that they made it big. That's all. They clearly are different from the owner's.
Of course I am not saying they can retiree after 30 but the last majority can't either I am not arguing about those that get injured and cannot work their unions should look after them but the average adult changes careers 4-5 times in their lifetime why cannot a professional athlete. You are arguing for injured players to be looked after which I agree with but that doesn't mean that they would be underpaid with only earning 50% of nhl profits.

Your major argument is that hurt players should get looked after which I agree 100% about but I disagree that the should make enough in 2 years in the nhl to retire.

Old
09-02-2012, 04:09 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Of course I am not saying they can retiree after 30 but the last majority can't either I am not arguing about those that get injured and cannot work their unions should look after them but the average adult changes careers 4-5 times in their lifetime why cannot a professional athlete. You are arguing for injured players to be looked after which I agree with but that doesn't mean that they would be underpaid with only earning 50% of nhl profits.

Your major argument is that hurt players should get looked after which I agree 100% about but I disagree that the should make enough in 2 years in the nhl to retire.
I'm just arguing my reasons for having more sympathy for players and would likely consider an owner more greedy than a player. I see that extra million dollars towards the player's as being more meaningful, whereas it's just another penny to an owner's purse. As long as an owner can make some profits to sustain business, I don't care if it's a 30-70 split in the player's favour. I feel for them because they're the ones putting their lives on the line to please the fans. That's just my opinion.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
I find this both fantastic and frightening at the same time...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/r...ch-wirelessly/

Old
09-08-2012, 04:41 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Canada beats Panama in a crucial game in the World Cup qualifyings.

Standings:

Canada- 7 pts
Panama- 6 pts
Honduras-4 pts
Cuba- 0 points

If Canada places in the top 2, they'll move onto round 4.

Old
09-09-2012, 12:32 PM
MarkGio

Did anyone else see these franchise rankings from ESPN?

You can look at it here: http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/teamrankings

The Flames are ranked 106th out of 122 franchises. However, please note that Pheonix Coyotes are ranked 6th, while the L.A Lakers are ranked 89th. The Lakers have been a marquee winner for a very long time!

So I looked into the methodology of the rankings and it's basically a poll of what fans want from their franchise. I guess viability isn't important to a fan? Few TV blackouts?

Old
09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
MarkGio

Well, at least Albertans and Quebecers have some hope of seeing NHL hockey players:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...onald-fehr.htm

If this works, Fehr will be a genius. He's totally splitting the owners up. Other owners won't stand by and watch 3 teams have a clear competitive edge, so the only way they'll join together is when they end this silly lock-out.

Go Alberta Labour Relations Board. Don't let that punk Daly call you a joke; stick it to them and save hockey for us!!

Old
09-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Well, at least Albertans and Quebecers have some hope of seeing NHL hockey players:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...onald-fehr.htm

If this works, Fehr will be a genius. He's totally splitting the owners up. Other owners won't stand by and watch 3 teams have a clear competitive edge, so the only way they'll join together is when they end this silly lock-out.

Go Alberta Labour Relations Board. Don't let that punk Daly call you a joke; stick it to them and save hockey for us!!
If successful, the Alberta teams (and Montreal) would only have to pay their players; a season still couldn't happen without a CBA framework to play under.

Old
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
If successful, the Alberta teams (and Montreal) would only have to pay their players; a season still couldn't happen without a CBA framework to play under.
And if player's are getting paid, they're expected to work. A training camp could happen in Alberta. I've understood it that players could practice as well. That's a clear edge IMO.

Moreover, Montreal, Calgary and Edmonton owner's aren't going to be happy with Bettman that they have to pay players. Bettman will be getting pressure from owners everywhere. Maybe/hopefully Bettman will lose his job.

Old
09-12-2012, 02:04 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
I find this both fantastic and frightening at the same time...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/r...ch-wirelessly/
Dear god.. Bow to our new Robo-Roach overlords

Old
09-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Spacecorn

vCash: 500
Edit: Nvm

Last edited by Spacecorn: 09-13-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old
09-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Anyone getting an iPhone 5 tomorrow?

Aside from being better than my iPhone 4, I'm not sure if I need to sleep outside the Apple Store at the mall tonight or not...

Old
09-20-2012, 05:19 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Anyone getting an iPhone 5 tomorrow?

Aside from being better than my iPhone 4, I'm not sure if I need to sleep outside the Apple Store at the mall tonight or not...
Hell no, a bunch of meh improvements at best nothing worth sinking my money into.

I am sure itll be as popular as ever though, so I imagine there will be long lines.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Hell no, a bunch of meh improvements at best nothing worth sinking my money into.

I am sure itll be as popular as ever though, so I imagine there will be long lines.
Yeah, I never really understood the point of the lines - when the iPhone 4 was released, I just showed up at the Rogers store in Sunridge mall at like 2 PM, and had my phone in hand and set up within minutes - no lineup, nothing. (well, activation took a couple hours due to the influx of new accounts)

I was going to upgrade to the 4s for Siri (and white) but figured I could wait until the 5. Can probably wait a few more days (weeks).

Closed Thread