Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Dream matches/feuds that could have happened

Old
04-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Megahab

vCash: 500
Dream matches/feuds that could have happened

Let's list some dream matches or feuds that actually had a shot of happening or almost happened. Basically, I'm looking for matches/feuds you wanted to see between guys from the same era and possibly same roster but for whatever reason didn't happen.

I think the most popular answer will be The Rock vs. HBK. This could have happened from 2002 to 2004 or so. Apparently, The Rock didn't want to work with HBK because he was a dick to him when Rock first started in WWE. Also, I think The Rock wasn't too happy with HBK's antics during the HBK-Hogan match from Summerslam 2005.

My personal dream feud is Bret Hart vs. Hogan - should have happened in 1993. I was sure it was going to happen in WCW but still, it wasn't done.

Austin vs. Hogan - The two biggest stars in WWE history...could have happened in 2002 and I have heard that Austin was the original choice to face Hogan at Wrestlemania 18, but Austin rejected the proposal.

Hogan vs. Jake Roberts - I don't think they ever had a proper feud, did they? Roberts once said in an interview that they kept Hogan and Roberts because Roberts was getting too many cheers as a heel.

Owen Hart vs. Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, or Kurt Angle - What amazing matches these would have been. Owen died in May 1999. Jericho debuted August 1999, Angle around November 1999, and Benoit and Guerrero in January 2000.

Austin vs. Goldberg - too bad Austin's last match was the night before Goldberg's debut.

Austin vs. Lesnar - this would have happened had Austin not walked out of WWE in June 2002. Although putting it on Raw with no build and no storyline would have been a bad idea, no matter who was supposed to go over.

Shawn Michaels vs. Eddie Guerrero - apparently this was the plan for WrestleMania 22, but Guerrero died about 5 months before the show.

Benoit vs. CM Punk - seems like they would have feuded in the summer of 2007.

CM Punk vs. Shawn Michaels - I think they might have some matches together but they didn't have a real feud. Maybe they would have if Punk had turned heel a year or two earlier. I think Punk was a bland babyface for way too long in the first few years of his WWE career.

Megahab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:52 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Punk/HBK is a good one.

HBK/Rock should have happened. I can't believe these two never crossed paths. I'm looking at wrestlingdata.com and don't see any matches between the two so far. It's a shame.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:33 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Bret Hart vs Kurt Angle

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:22 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

Punk/HBK is the one I would most have wanted to see.

And obviously, though they never crossed paths in the same company, 'Taker/Sting.

TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:59 AM
17futurecap

I was always a huge Jake Roberts fan, so it killed me he never had a feud with Hogan for the title. I wanted Jake to be the champ so bad, what a mark I was haha.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Angle vs Shamrock ... A battle of the Ankle Lock.

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 04:34 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

A lot of love for Angle here, and that's awesome. Just want to add to it...

You want to talk about dream matches...just watch this fan made promo. Not the greatest fan made thing ever, but it made me want to see this match.

TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:34 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post

Austin vs. Lesnar - this would have happened had Austin not walked out of WWE in June 2002. Although putting it on Raw with no build and no storyline would have been a bad idea, no matter who was supposed to go over.
Austin was not in the right state of mind but had the right idea to protest WWE's idiotic decision for this match. They had Lesnar scheduled to beat Austin clean...on a monday night, with zero build up and almost no credibility to beating a legend like Austin. It wasn't the best decision but i'm kind of glad austin decided to walk out on it.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Disco Inferno vs. Fandango.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Foy

Too Cool vs. Brodus Clay and Sweet T.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Knighthammer

Quote:

My personal dream feud is Bret Hart vs. Hogan - should have happened in 1993. I was sure it was going to happen in WCW but still, it wasn't done.
I forget if it was on a Roundtable on WWE24/7, but hearing that Hart/Hogan was booked for SummerSlam'93 with Hart going over sounded awesome. Of course Hogan said no and dropped the title to Yoko instead at KOTR . Going from Hogan/Hart to Yoko/Luger with Luger winning by countout and celebrating like he won the title was pretty funny, though. LEX EXPRESS!

Hogan/Roberts would've been amazing, especially if Roberts was using his "Trust Me" gimmick. Roberts lays out Hogan with the DDT and then the Python is unleashed

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:49 PM
blueandgoldguy

Would have loved to see Angle vs. Hart, Owen or Bret.

Hogan and Roberts did fight each other on the house show circuit back in 1986 or 87..although I guess that's not official since it didn't happen on TV. I think these matches stemmed from an altercation they had on tv though.

Here's a clip of a Roberts' interview for an upcoming match with Hogan for a Winnipeg card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR2kPDrhFE8

I suggest you check this out. Roberts is awesome here as usual.

Loved it back in the day when wrestlers would cut promos for matches they had in specific cities. Made the house shows seem more important.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighthammer View Post
I forget if it was on a Roundtable on WWE24/7, but hearing that Hart/Hogan was booked for SummerSlam'93 with Hart going over sounded awesome. Of course Hogan said no and dropped the title to Yoko instead at KOTR . Going from Hogan/Hart to Yoko/Luger with Luger winning by countout and celebrating like he won the title was pretty funny, though. LEX EXPRESS!

Hogan/Roberts would've been amazing, especially if Roberts was using his "Trust Me" gimmick. Roberts lays out Hogan with the DDT and then the Python is unleashed
Luger should have won the title at SummerSlam.

Isn't the rumour that he was drunk and let word get out that he was going to win, so Vince punished him..?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
Disco Inferno vs. Fandango.
Leapin' Lanny Poffo and Jumpin' Jim Brunzell.

I got nothin'...

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurdocktor View Post
And obviously, though they never crossed paths in the same company, 'Taker/Sting.
That would have been, and still would be, epic.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Here's a clip of a Roberts' interview for an upcoming match with Hogan for a Winnipeg card.

Loved it back in the day when wrestlers would cut promos for matches they had in specific cities. Made the house shows seem more important.
In his prime, there was no one, and I mean no one, better at cutting promos than Jake The Snake Roberts. He was a master.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Hogan vs. Hart should have definitely happened in 1993. Isn't that supposed to be one of the reasons that there is friction between those two, because Hogan never put Hart over?

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
The fact that Hogan/Flair never happened at Wrestlemania 8 in '92 remains the biggest disappointment in wrestling to me of what could have been and didn't happen.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Steve Austin vs Hulk Hogan

CM Punk vs Chris Benoit

Hulk Hogan vs Ric Flair (1992)

Steve Austin vs Brock Lesnar

Steve Austin vs Goldberg

The Rock vs Shawn Michaels

Bret Hart vs Kurt Angle (not that close, Bret had his career ending concussion a mere month and change after Angle's debut, in a different company no less)

Undertaker vs Sting

Steve Austin vs Sting (not sure how true this is, but I remember there being talks/rumors that Sting was very close to signing with WWE in late 2002 or early 2003, and there was a plan to set up a program with Austin culminating in a match at WM19, but talks fell through at the 11th hour and Austin ended up wrestling Rock again)

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Hogan vs. Hart should have definitely happened in 1993. Isn't that supposed to be one of the reasons that there is friction between those two, because Hogan never put Hart over?
IIRC, in his book, Bret Hart said that it was already agreed that Hogan would beat Yokozuna at KOTR 1993, and then drop the title to Hart at Summerslam, in kind of a passing of the torch type of thing. But later on, Hogan changed his mind and dropped it to Yokozuna instead. Hart was really pissed off about it. Would have done wonders for his career. I think this was the first time in the book (chronologically) that he had anything bad to say about Hogan, so I think this is where the friction started. Although, Hart wasn't happy about Hogan winning the title at WM 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The fact that Hogan/Flair never happened at Wrestlemania 8 in '92 remains the biggest disappointment in wrestling to me of what could have been and didn't happen.
I once heard that Hogan vs. Flair was the original plan for WM 8, but WWE changed their mind and wanted to do a double main event instead (Hogan vs. Sid...Savage vs. Flair)...but that doesn't make sense to me as they could have just done Hogan vs. Flair and Savage vs. Sid. It was a dream match that WWE failed to capitalize on, and WCW did 2 year later (BATB 1994). Although we did get a really great match out of this - Flair vs. Savage at WM 8, one of my all-time favourite matches.

Megahab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
I once heard that Hogan vs. Flair was the original plan for WM 8, but WWE changed their mind and wanted to do a double main event instead (Hogan vs. Sid...Savage vs. Flair)...but that doesn't make sense to me as they could have just done Hogan vs. Flair and Savage vs. Sid. It was a dream match that WWE failed to capitalize on, and WCW did 2 year later (BATB 1994). Although we did get a really great match out of this - Flair vs. Savage at WM 8, one of my all-time favourite matches.
But we all know there's a substantial difference in presentation and build at that time between WWF and WCW especially for the two events in question. A Wrestlemania build for that time between Hogan and Flair would have been epic. You're right though. Savage/Flair was a damn good match. Just a shame that WWF failed to capitalize on the clash of the titans in their prime on the biggest stage of them all.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:28 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Would have loved to see Angle vs. Hart, Owen or Bret.

Hogan and Roberts did fight each other on the house show circuit back in 1986 or 87..although I guess that's not official since it didn't happen on TV. I think these matches stemmed from an altercation they had on tv though.

Awesome promo! And for a house show no less? Where does he go in his mind to come up with these things? So good.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote