Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Wrestlemania 29 - All discussions/predictions here

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Megahab

vCash: 500
I think they would have built that up by now. If Mayweather is in a match at Wrestlemania, it's going to be the # 2 match on the card behind Rock-Cena.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:30 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 233
Then Henry's got nothing.

02-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Megahab

Ya, there are a few people who don't look to have much to do at Wrestlemania. Some people want a Money in the Bank ladder match just to get these guys on the card. But am I the only one bored by the whole MITB thing? It was cool to have the first few guys randomly cashing in their briefcases but I think the whole thing has gotten old now. It seems like most guys' first title win is a MITB cash-in.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
M.C.G. 31

The PPV killed the match for me. SURPRISE SURPRISE, gimmick PPVs and overdoing those matches killed them and their credibility.

MITB should just leave though. It's a lazy way to book someone into the main event, IMO.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Snipeshow

They need to remove all gimmick PPV's, outside of the Rumble obviously.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Marf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
They need to remove all gimmick PPV's, outside of the Rumble obviously.
I'd love if they went back to the old gimmick ppvs and got rid of the rest. Royal Rumble, King of the Ring and Survivor Series.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marf View Post
I'd love if they went back to the old gimmick ppvs and got rid of the rest. Royal Rumble, King of the Ring and Survivor Series.
I agree for sure. King of the Ring was awesome. They were all awesome, TBH.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:58 PM
M.C.G. 31

King of the Ring > Money in the Bank in terms of making big players IMO.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Marf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
Absolutely agree. With the exception of King Mabel I can't think of a truly bad winner.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marf View Post
Absolutely agree. With the exception of King Mabel I can't think of a truly bad winner.
Billy Gunn.

I thought Shamrock was a good choice for 1998 but that didn't really work as he was out of WWE about 14 months later.

Other than Gunn, Mabel, and Shamrock, all of the other winners from 1993-2002 became World Champions with the exception of Owen Hart. I think he would have eventually won if it wasn't for the accident.

I liked that winning the KOTR meant that you were going to eventually be pushed to the main event most of the time, instead of the tournament including already established main eventers. But the KOTR legacy would be a lot better if Michaels had won in 1995, and The Rock in 1998. Can't think of who should have won in 1999 but I never liked Billy Gunn. He was good as a tag team wrestler but he sucked on his own.

I'm not counting the 2006, 2008, and 2010 KOTRs because it seemed like the purpose of those tournaments were to just give the winner a king gimmick.

I don't know why WWE is so inconsistent with the KOTR. It should happen every year. Not sure if it should be on PPV because I don't know if you can build a whole PPV around a mid-card tournament. Not sure how the old KOTR PPVs did in terms of buyrates.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince McMahon View Post
I disagree. KOTR made what, 1 big name player, that being Austin, possibly Bret Hart I guess. I don't include Angle and Lesnar because they were already well on their way to stardom and KOTR did not catapult them to anything.

The following all won KOTR and remained in the mid-card

Billy Gunn
Owen Hart
HHH
Edge
Shamrock
Tito Santana

MITB on the other hand is different

Edge
CM Punk
Miz
Kane*

I feel if you are going to include Bret Hart for KOTR then you have to include Kane for MITB. Both were long established but this catapulted both of them to the main event. Ziggler certainly looks like he is well on his way.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Megahab

If you're not going to include Angle and Lesnar for KOTR, then you can't include Edge, Punk, and Miz for MITB as those guys were also well on their way to the main event.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
I'm not counting the 2006, 2008, and 2010 KOTRs because it seemed like the purpose of those tournaments were to just give the winner a king gimmick.
Speaking of this. That reminds me of the SuperShow I went to in 2007. I was rarely watching WWE at the time, if at all, but my uncle had an extra ticket so I went.

Booker T was in his King Booker gimmick and he just won a match (I forget against who) and after the match William Regal got on the mic and said "ALL HAIL...KING BOOKAHHHHH!!!!" for a good 5+ minutes. Like they were in between segments (commercial) and he just stood at the top of the ramp and continued to say it even after Booker and Sharmell went to the back. Me and my uncle were crying.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
If you're not going to include Angle and Lesnar for KOTR, then you can't include Edge, Punk, and Miz for MITB as those guys were also well on their way to the main event.
no they weren't. Edge and Punk were still well in the mid-card when they won MITB. Lesnar was practically in the main event from his very first appearance in the company. Angle's KOTR win was moreso just to end the feud with Too Cool. Angle's was much closer to elevating status, but defeating Rikishi isn't elevating anybody to main event status, he was too big for the feud and was too big for KOTR. Edge and Punk were nowhere near the main even when they won mitb and they both made the most of it.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
no they weren't. Edge and Punk were still well in the mid-card when they won MITB. Lesnar was practically in the main event from his very first appearance in the company. Angle's KOTR win was moreso just to end the feud with Too Cool. Angle's was much closer to elevating status, but defeating Rikishi isn't elevating anybody to main event status, he was too big for the feud and was too big for KOTR. Edge and Punk were nowhere near the main even when they won mitb and they both made the most of it.
Lesnar was feuding with the Hardy Boys for 1-2 months after his debut. Nowhere near the main event.

Edge was pretty close to the main event before winning MITB. In the summer of 2004, WWE teased him feuding with HHH. But fans were rejecting him as a face, so he turned heel and started feuding with Michaels. He was in the Survivor Series main event, New Years' Revolution main event, and had a match with Michaels at the Royal Rumble, all before the MITB win.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:47 PM
M.C.G. 31

I like KOTR more than MITB because MITB is just a cheap, easy, lazy way to get someone in the main event, IMO. Especially recently. At least when the concept started, they built those guys up. Especially Edge. 2005 was Edge's year aside from Cena/Batista. Edge was magic. But nowadays, you see them put the briefcase on Daniel Bryan who had nothing after winning and wasn't involved in a program until he RANDOMLY was inserted in the Henry-Show stuff to close out 2011 before he cashed in at TLC. Dolph Ziggler today, he's doing **** all. They don't even care to build them up. It's just lazy. That's what I hate about MITB nowadays.

It gives great matches and when WWE cares to push the briefcase holder, it works. The way they've been doing it lately, it doesn't.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
M.C.G. 31

Old
03-01-2013, 01:09 PM
DVDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I disagree. KOTR made what, 1 big name player, that being Austin, possibly Bret Hart I guess. I don't include Angle and Lesnar because they were already well on their way to stardom and KOTR did not catapult them to anything.

The following all won KOTR and remained in the mid-card

Billy Gunn
Owen Hart
HHH
Edge
Shamrock
Tito Santana

Billy Gunn went into a fued with The Rock after he won KOTR, he didn't click as a singles and went back to teaming with Road Dogg.

Owen won KOTR and went on to SummerSlam to challenge his brother in the steel cage.

DX formed soon after HHH won his KOTR.

Edge's KOTR win marked his push as a singles wrestler. They were trying to shove him into the main event for years before he became the Rated R Superstar and skyrocketed.

Shamrock, another guy they wanted to push into the ME. He had the look but lacked the charisma and talent so he was shoved back down and just over a year later went back to MMA.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:00 PM
rangers5000

Cena/Rock Should Not Happen

we seen it last year, it was ok for what it was, no need for rematch

cena/punk had match of the year last week on raw, why not atleast add punk to the match and they have rock have rest periods, it would rival wm20's triple threat

cena heel turn needs to happen to make it work, if thats the plan im ok for it

cena "needs" to win
hostile new york crowd
company needs a gamechanger
set up taker/cena night after mania, 1 year build for wm30

what is this storyline really going to be, they only have a month till mania, cena better show some edgy promos and change it up

Old
03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
DVDA

Cena is the face of the company and The Rock is an A-List movie star and a legend in the wrestling game. It is the match that will bring the most eyeballs to the biggest show of the year. This time it is for the championship. No need to water it down by making it a triple threat match. That is why this rematch is happening.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
M.C.G. 31

While I'd prefer Cena-Rock-Punk, there's no chance in hell that match would rival HBK-HHH-Benoit. One of the best Wrestlemania matches ever.

Rock-Cena is the match they're moving forward with because they believe it will make them a lot of money and it will. It won't rival WM28's success though, IMO. Lesnar-Rock, Taker-Rock, Taker-Cena are bigger money matches, but two of those are being saved for WM30 it seems, and I don't have a problem with that.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Megahab

I highly doubt Cena-Taker and Rock-Taker are bigger money matches than Rock-Cena.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:50 PM
M.C.G. 31

They're bigger money matches than Rock-Cena II. There. Just imo.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Megahab

I don't think so. I think it's just the internet fans that don't want to see Rock-Cena again, but it's the biggest money match they can provide now other than maybe Rock-Lesnar. Internet wrestling fans make up a very small portion of the wrestling audience.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:38 PM
M.C.G. 31

and it shapes up...

Rock-Cena
Taker-Punk
HHH-Lesnar
ADR-Swagger
Shield-Orton/Sheamus/Show
Henry-Ryback

all seem to be a go. Probably a random divas match, Kaitlyn-Layla perhaps. I don't think Team Hell No is breaking up just yet. Miz-Ziggler don't seem to have anything, so maybe they have a one-on-one or something like that again. New Age Outlaws can still go and can go against Rhodes Scholars, perhaps. The mid-card champions, Cesaro and Barrett, have nothing right now though. It's shaping up and I'm sure something is there.

Closed Thread