All Purpose Prospect/St. John's Thread - Part 3

Continue here.

Link to previous thread

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:06 PM
None

vCash: 50
1) What hype does Scheifele have to live up to if he was a reach and you think he won't be a #1 center? There really was never any hype beyond him being a fast riser in the draft. Not many people knew much about him because of how fast he rose.
2) He was one of the best players on the ice for Barrie next to Telegin, he played first team PK and PP. He was back in Barrie to work on his two-way game and just looking at his stats(+/-) and what we've heard from some of the people who watched the entire Colts season I'd say he's improved by a wide margin considering it was only his second full season at that level.
3) How can you predict his potential having barely watched him? He and Couturier play a completely different game and I feel that Scheifele's game suits the Jets future better.
4) Did Couturier have attitude issues or was that a rumour?

None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

There were RUMORS that Sylvain Couturier (Sean's father) was limiting access to some teams for interviews of Sean.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:40 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

What I want to know is why is the 3rd line a revolving door of players. We've seen combinations of Klingberg, O'dell, Sheif, Rosa, Trotter, etc... And some of these guys were removed (or in Trotter's situation drop down to the 3rd line) after having a good game when some of the top 6's haven't...

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:38 AM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

vCash: 500
My opinion on Scheifele having watched all his home games since he's been an IceCap is that he is just not a professional yet. Mark has all the tools to be a great forward in the AHL/NHL but he's not there yet. It seems like he is still in Jr hockey mode where there is alot less structure/system play and when you play outside a structured system in pro hockey you get burned.

Last night Mark played with Trotter and O'Dell, the line was just bad in the defensive end. They tried too many cheeky/fancy passes to try and get out instead of just dumping the puck out and got pinned multiple times. I'll give Mark credit though, when he gave the puck away he worked his butt off to get it back and finally get it out but he could have avoided the situation all together had he just chipped it out. I should mention that clearing the puck out seems to be a problem for the whole team not just that line, it's just that they got caught a few times in a row last night.

Scheifele will be a great player, he's a great skater, passer, has a nice shot and seems to not be afraid to go to dirty areas. It's a shame he will have to go back to Barrie next year barring a major jump in his development over the summer. Ideally, the IceCaps would be the perfect place for him next year.

He's gonna be a good player for the Jets, just be patient and let him learn how to play professional hockey on a day to day basis. Just because he's a 7th overall pick, doesn't mean he has to step in to the NHL as a teenager and light things up. If you just be patient with him and let him develop the right way you will not regret it.

NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:31 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDPower View Post
My opinion on Scheifele having watched all his home games since he's been an IceCap is that he is just not a professional yet. Mark has all the tools to be a great forward in the AHL/NHL but he's not there yet. It seems like he is still in Jr hockey mode where there is alot less structure/system play and when you play outside a structured system in pro hockey you get burned.

Last night Mark played with Trotter and O'Dell, the line was just bad in the defensive end. They tried too many cheeky/fancy passes to try and get out instead of just dumping the puck out and got pinned multiple times. I'll give Mark credit though, when he gave the puck away he worked his butt off to get it back and finally get it out but he could have avoided the situation all together had he just chipped it out. I should mention that clearing the puck out seems to be a problem for the whole team not just that line, it's just that they got caught a few times in a row last night.

Scheifele will be a great player, he's a great skater, passer, has a nice shot and seems to not be afraid to go to dirty areas. It's a shame he will have to go back to Barrie next year barring a major jump in his development over the summer. Ideally, the IceCaps would be the perfect place for him next year.

He's gonna be a good player for the Jets, just be patient and let him learn how to play professional hockey on a day to day basis. Just because he's a 7th overall pick, doesn't mean he has to step in to the NHL as a teenager and light things up. If you just be patient with him and let him develop the right way you will not regret it.
No. No waiting for Scheifele. He's not our the glorious demi-god Sean Couturier.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Tdoe42

It has been quite the year for Mark he has basically done it all.

Im excited too see what he has in training camp. One more year in Barrie wont hurt him either I imagine they will have a pretty good team next year

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:11 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
What I want to know is why is the 3rd line a revolving door of players. We've seen combinations of Klingberg, O'dell, Sheif, Rosa, Trotter, etc... And some of these guys were removed (or in Trotter's situation drop down to the 3rd line) after having a good game when some of the top 6's haven't...
garret the Ice Caps are trying to duplicate the Jets situation a closely as possible

Old
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
garret the Ice Caps are trying to duplicate the Jets situation a closely as possible
Lack of scoring, PP troubles, difficulty getting out of the d-zone, changeable 3rd line, allowing goals just before the end of periods: check!

There are some things that would probably be best to not emulate.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
No. No waiting for Scheifele. He's not our the glorious demi-god Sean Couturier.

I seriously need a "The Glorious Demi-God Sean Couturier" t-shirt.

NFLDPower, thanks for that -- great to hear from the perspective of an IceCaps fan. That was basically my take on what I saw with Scheifele during his IceCaps run too. Lots of us have plenty of patience for Scheifele and are happy to see him developing the right way.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:22 AM
kento19
@kento19

Scheifele was the best player on the ice for the IceCaps offensively last night. He even played a decent game in his own end. Great job backchecking, just a little sluggish trying to get the puck out, but like somebody already said the whole team was having the same issue. I wish they would switch Klingberg and Desantis in tonight. O'Dell should come out, but i don't really know who else. Clark would be the obvious choice but he's too much of a workhorse. Let's hope whatever the coach decides brings on more games in this series.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:09 PM
JetsHomer

If Scheifele goes back to Barrie, hopefully he absolutely lights up the World Juniors so people will stop saying he sucks. As a 19 year old he should put up crazy points next season in Junior

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:00 PM
MrMariusz

Well.
It was a good run for the IceCaps.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Well, that's it for the IceCaps.

Considering the move from Winnipeg and everything associated with it, I think this was a very successful season.

Well done St. John's!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:25 PM
DespoticNewt

Now I've officially run out of hockey to care about.

Old
05-22-2012, 07:32 PM
MrMariusz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Well, that's it for the IceCaps.

Considering the move from Winnipeg and everything associated with it, I think this was a very successful season.

Well done St. John's!
A sellout season shows how desperate people in St Johns were for a respectable hockey team in the area.
I assume they will have no problem selling season tickets for next year too.

For all the complaining there has been about St Johns location (large travel distance), one cannot deny the fact that this is currently one of the most successful AHL franchises.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

bummer

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:35 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMariusz View Post
A sellout season shows how desperate people in St Johns were for a respectable hockey team in the area.
I assume they will have no problem selling season tickets for next year too.

For all the complaining there has been about St Johns location (large travel distance), one cannot deny the fact that this is currently one of the most successful AHL franchises.
The Moose were consistently at the top of the AHL in terms of successful franchises. Stick a professional league in a place that loves hockey. How the **** can someone mess that up?

Old
05-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
The Moose were consistently at the top of the AHL in terms of successful franchises. Stick a professional league in a place that loves hockey. How the **** can someone mess that up?
:

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Canadienjet

From an IceCaps fan.This whole season was a pile of fun.My family and I loved every second.

Thanks to TNSE for making all of this happen.Cannot wait till October.

Last edited by Canadienjet: 05-22-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Ouch
Great run IceCaps!
See you in the fall

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:28 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
:
That made me laugh out loud Romang67.....very funny use of the logo and nothing else.....brilliant

Old
05-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
:
Check and MATE!! lmfao!!

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:14 PM
IceCapsFanNL

I am rather sad this evening, but I have to put things into perspective. The last time I listened to Brian Rogers broadcast a game where St. John's got knocked out of the Calder Cup playoffs, we were losing our franchise. One of the saddest days of my life.

Anyhoo,

top five moments of the year for me.

Saturday Nov 26 6-3 loss to Toronto.

Seeing a Toronto AHL team in our barn brought to the surface all the ill will that I still felt against MLSE, and in particular JFJ and was the first step to my switch from a Toronto fan to a Winnipeg fan.

Friday Oct 14 4 - 0 loss to Hamilton

opening night, need I say more?

Friday Mar 9 6-1 win over Hershey

As far as I am concerned this was the point at which the Caps were at their best. They beat the Bears with Holtby in net. This was the first time the fans really got on the other goalie. who would have thought that two weeks later we would have 10 regulars out with injuries and call ups. Caps were never as good after this.

Saturday May 12 3-2 win over WBS Penguins in game seven.

Caps hang on to win game seven!!

Friday Apr 27 4-3 overtime win over Syracuse in game four to advance!!

Caps were down 2-0 after one, 3-2 after two and Meech wins in overtime!!

Anyway,

lets hope both of our teams have a better year, and thanks to TNSE from all of us

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
It was still a great season overall... well done IceCaps. next year !!

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote