HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks looking to sign F Brendan Gaunce to ELC

Old
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Canucks looking to sign F Brendan Gaunce to ELC

Quote:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
#Canucks assistant gm Lawrence Gillman will meet with the agent for #1 draft pick Brendan Gaunce this week in Toronto.

Expand Collapse Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite
Quote:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Gillman will be in T-O for the Dale Weise arbitration case. Getting deal done for Gaunce won't take long.

Expand Collapse Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite
Pretty standard practice, but nice to get him signed up nonetheless (touch wood).

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Don't let him talk to Cody.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
That was my first thought.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
OR Umberger.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
My first thought: Rift.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
crazycanuck

Gaunce probably wants to get a deal done quickly as well, talk is that the owners want 5 year ELC's in the new CBA.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Would be nice to see him earn a 9 game stint. Give Kesler some time to slowly ease back into the lineup and have Schroeder and Gaunce show what they have.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Would be nice to see him earn a 9 game stint. Give Kesler some time to slowly ease back into the lineup and have Schroeder and Gaunce show what they have.
Yeah, we are good enough to allow for a look IMO. We cruised to the PT last year. If we are going to build towards peaking at the end of the season, how much can trying prospects for the first 9 games hurt you?

All it does is expose the prospects to the NHL, and expose the NHL to our prospects...

I believe that is how this team needs to approach things. Gillis can talk about all the young players he thinks can make the team, and if they can let them show it, if they can't, at least the rest of the league has a better idea of what they'll look like at the NHL level ie. might be sought after in a trade for a more established player.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Taco Fingerhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Yeah, we are good enough to allow for a look IMO. We cruised to the PT last year. If we are going to build towards peaking at the end of the season, how much can trying prospects for the first 9 games hurt you?

All it does is expose the prospects to the NHL, and expose the NHL to our prospects...

I believe that is how this team needs to approach things. Gillis can talk about all the young players he thinks can make the team, and if they can let them show it, if they can't, at least the rest of the league has a better idea of what they'll look like at the NHL level ie. might be sought after in a trade for a more established player.
Gillis has been doing this every year. He's given our prospects a chance to make the opening day roster. Except most of them have ended up crapping the bed in the preseason.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:32 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Gillis has been doing this every year. He's given our prospects a chance to make the opening day roster. Except most of them have ended up crapping the bed in the preseason.
Kesler missed the start of last season.

Schroeder out performed Hodgson significantly in training camp.

I agree they are doing this, but they need to find ways to do more of it.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Kesler missed the start of last season.

Schroeder out performed Hodgson significantly in training camp.

I agree they are doing this, but they need to find ways to do more of it.
And the likely reason Hodgson made it instead of Schroeder was issues that were behind the scene. I think I read it on here that Hodgson's camp didn't want him back in the AHL last year, any truth to that?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Maybe to an extent. Schroeder outplayed Hodgson last pre-season but it was the latter that stuck with the big club, I'm guessing because they expected Hodgson to cause a ruckus if he didn't make the team. I think Gillis is pretty hesitant about pushing players to the NHL sooner than necessary and to some extent that might even make sense — the 03 draft class is one of the most successful in part because of the extra development time at lower levels.

As for Gaunce, maybe give him 9 games but even if he looks good at that point, I would send him down. He's a guy that has offensive potential, he just needs to work on it and the best place for that is in junior. Don't want him becoming a 3rd liner simply because he never got the chance to be anything better.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:13 PM
topched88

Still not a fan of drafting guys that project to be bottom 6 fwds in the first round, Why not just trade the first at the deadline for someone you know who can fill that role and is already established doing so? (Gaustad as an example). Really hoping this guy proves me wrong.

topched88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
ddawg1950

Whatever skating issues Gaunce have could be exposed in the pre season. It should give us (and him) a pretty good idea what he needs to work on.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post
Still not a fan of drafting guys that project to be bottom 6 fwds in the first round, Why not just trade the first at the deadline for someone you know who can fill that role and is already established doing so? (Gaustad as an example). Really hoping this guy proves me wrong.
Because we haven't exactly had the best track record in that department.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Because there's a big difference between Gaustad and Bolland (Staal, etc.). Besides, Gaunce's upside is to be a Top 6 center. Maybe he's more likely to be a bottom 6 center, but his stats and hockey IQ + vision say otherwise.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Mainly because Gaunce is not a boom/bust prospect like most potential top6ers are at the same draft position. He will likely play in the show... There's also the fact that centres with size are
a scarce commodity in NHL. If you can secure one in the draft, all the better.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:38 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Gaunce probably wants to get a deal done quickly as well, talk is that the owners want 5 year ELC's in the new CBA.
Wouldnt matter since he would still be a RFA and it possibly being for 10 years rather than 7.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:40 PM
m9

Not to mention in a salary cap era you need young guys on their first and second contracts. Gaustad got a huge contract from Nashville.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Taco Fingerhat

Quote:
We originally drafted Kesler to be a defensive third line centre, and that turned out pretty well for us. Just because someone is regarded as a 'defensive forward' doesn't mean that's all they'll ever amount to. I view Gaunce as a player in the same mold. Hell, many of us are talking about trading Luongo for Bolland. Bottom six centre's are a very hot commodity in the NHL.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:59 PM
serge2k

cool, only a couple years before he is traded at the deadline.

edit: actually this seems odd given that the league seems to want longer ELCs in the next CBA?

Last edited by serge2k: 07-24-2012 at 02:17 PM.
serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
cool, only a couple years before he is traded at the deadline.
Hopefully your negativity is a part of the deal too!

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:12 PM
metric

Management needs to add interviews with parents to their combine assessment.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Not disagreeing with this, but if the Canucks ice a weaker lineup and come slowly out of the gate, there will be plenty of bellyaching on here about how "this happens every year" and "Vigneault doesn't have them prepared", etc.

Jyrki21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 02:21 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Gaunce projects to be a Jordan Staal-like player.

Like Tiranis said, it's the difference between a Staal/Bolland and a Gaustad (who is a glorified 4th liner, if Malhotra is..).

I posted this the other day in a thread: Gaustad has the same amount of goals and 4 more points than Malhotra this past season. Manny, had a career threatening, life altering, eye injury and still produced on the same level as Gaustad.

Why people would want to move a 1st, and pay him $3.25m on a 3 year deal is strange to me.

Gaunce is a young player, with skills, that is already establishing himself as an excellent two way prospect - that doesn't mean he has "bottom six upside" it means he has 2nd line upside, but at worst looks a safe bet to become a bottom 6 player.

Who would you have selected at 26th this year?