HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks looking to sign F Brendan Gaunce to ELC

Old
07-24-2012, 02:54 PM
asdfman
Weeeee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post
Still not a fan of drafting guys that project to be bottom 6 fwds in the first round, Why not just trade the first at the deadline for someone you know who can fill that role and is already established doing so? (Gaustad as an example). Really hoping this guy proves me wrong.
Ryan Kesler says: No

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Still not a fan of drafting guys that project to be bottom 6 fwds in the first round, Why not just trade the first at the deadline for someone you know who can fill that role and is already established doing so? (Gaustad as an example). Really hoping this guy proves me wrong.
The upside on Gaunce is as a top-six center...his downside is as a bottom-six forward. He's projected as a safe guy to make the NHL, the question is just will he reach his ceiling. Either way, at our spot, he was a very strong pick IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
pitseleh

I'm surprised the Canucks don't want to see the results of the new CBA. with the owners starting with an offer of a 5 year ELC, it seems like it might be something that will be more in favour of the owners come the new CBA.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
Not disagreeing with this, but if the Canucks ice a weaker lineup and come slowly out of the gate, there will be plenty of bellyaching on here about how "this happens every year" and "Vigneault doesn't have them prepared", etc.
Which I really don't understand given the past four years it has happened. They all panic and say this team is done being good. I never got that mentality.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I'm surprised the Canucks don't want to see the results of the new CBA. with the owners starting with an offer of a 5 year ELC, it seems like it might be something that will be more in favour of the owners come the new CBA.
The CBA talk has turned into complete nonsense. Since the lockout, the NHL has grown substantially and created some real traction in the US, including a new TV deal. How are the owners going to strong arm the players into taking less on ELC's, limiting contract terms, limiting front loaded money, limiting FA age etc, etc, etc? The NHL is in much better shape then it was the last go around and so is the NHLPA. I just don't see a scenario where the league gets anywhere near those kinds of concessions unless they were willing to lose another season and they'd be insane to do that.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 04:00 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Oop...incoming offer sheet from the Flyers...

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 04:39 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Lol ever heard of a guy named ryan kesler?

And they may not have been projected as checkers but from that same draft i think id rather have a richards/perry/getzlaf then paul gaustad...lol

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 04:45 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
The CBA talk has turned into complete nonsense. Since the lockout, the NHL has grown substantially and created some real traction in the US, including a new TV deal. How are the owners going to strong arm the players into taking less on ELC's, limiting contract terms, limiting front loaded money, limiting FA age etc, etc, etc? The NHL is in much better shape then it was the last go around and so is the NHLPA. I just don't see a scenario where the league gets anywhere near those kinds of concessions unless they were willing to lose another season and they'd be insane to do that.
Not to drift too far off topic but the ELC's will be used as a bargaining chip, as the guys who it will affect are not part of the PA at this point and having these guys on longer ELC's could potentially open up more cap space for the RFA and UFA players to get.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
The upside on Gaunce is as a top-six center...his downside is as a bottom-six forward. He's projected as a safe guy to make the NHL, the question is just will he reach his ceiling. Either way, at our spot, he was a very strong pick IMO.
This.

Great size, work ethic, poise, and hockey IQ. Also very good vision, passing, and shot.

Basically, Gaunce has got most of the gifts that can't be taught.

701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Icebreakers

I'd be ecstatic if he could turn into a Jordan Staal type of player.

Icebreakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:16 PM
struckmatch

Sign on the dotted line kid...then get injured, be a bust, or get traded and then blossom.

Standard Canucks procedure.

struckmatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Not to drift too far off topic but the ELC's will be used as a bargaining chip, as the guys who it will affect are not part of the PA at this point and having these guys on longer ELC's could potentially open up more cap space for the RFA and UFA players to get.
Limiting a players earning power for 5 years of his career would be a huge concession from the players. What could the owners possibly give the players to make such a deal?

I know that generally rookies can be thrown down the river because they don't have a voice in the union but there is a huge percentage of the league in their 1st to 4th years in the league.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:23 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Limiting a players earning power for 5 years of his career would be a huge concession from the players. What could the owners possibly give the players to make such a deal?

I know that generally rookies can be thrown down the river because they don't have a voice in the union but there is a huge percentage of the league in their 1st to 4th years in the league.
I doubt any of the current ELCs would be changed. Hence, easy to throw them under the bus.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Pretty standard practice, but nice to get him signed up nonetheless (touch wood).
Actually from a player POV, it's advantegous for them to sign now before the new CBA possibly extends the ELC period from 3 years to 4 years or longer.

That's why all of the recent draft picks have signed ELC deals.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:25 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Not disagreeing with this, but if the Canucks ice a weaker lineup and come slowly out of the gate, there will be plenty of bellyaching on here about how "this happens every year" and "Vigneault doesn't have them prepared", etc.
And if we dominate in October, we'll be peaking to soon. Can't win.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:36 AM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
i think most people have accepted that we suck in octobers, i think it'd be nice to see some of our prospects play if our regulars are gonna half ass it through the first month anyway.

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Frank Garrett

I don't understand why they took a chaunce on this kid.

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:42 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Sorry what you see in the press and what the real issues are - 2 very dferent thing. The owners threw out an opening position, with little of the real meat issues in it.

I have talked to someone in the canucks organization ... the real issues are things that will start battles between owners ... like some form of revenue sharing to help ensure the survival of some of the not realistic US small market teams .... the issues we get to see published are sacrificial lambs compared to the things that are really gonna matter.

lets face the players and most of the owners are doing well ... the only ones getting screwed are us ticket holders.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:48 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Garrett View Post
Huh? If nothing else...Gaunce could be criticized for being too safe, not enough gambling for a potential payoff.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:52 AM
pahlsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Huh? If nothing else...Gaunce could be criticized for being too safe, not enough gambling for a potential payoff.
whoosh

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Perhaps the Canucks are thinking he'll be useful sooner rather than later.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:11 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Maybe to an extent. Schroeder outplayed Hodgson last pre-season but it was the latter that stuck with the big club, I'm guessing because they expected Hodgson to cause a ruckus if he didn't make the team. I think Gillis is pretty hesitant about pushing players to the NHL sooner than necessary and to some extent that might even make sense the 03 draft class is one of the most successful in part because of the extra development time at lower levels.

As for Gaunce, maybe give him 9 games but even if he looks good at that point, I would send him down. He's a guy that has offensive potential, he just needs to work on it and the best place for that is in junior. Don't want him becoming a 3rd liner simply because he never got the chance to be anything better.
If Gaunce looks good and is playing well, it makes zero sense to send him down. Why would we want to stunt his development?

And by looking good, I don't mean 0 points in 9 games but isn't being eaten alive defensively...I mean 5 or 6 points in 9 games and adequate defensively.

07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
CrazyJ

vCash: 1295
Quote:

I think most of the Owners demands/requests are only there so they can concede on them and say "well we gave you the UFA at 7 years, now you need to give us more money." The five year ELC I could see going through because there isn't as much to lose on that one for the parties involved in negotiations. The UFA after 10 years will not fly though.

I think signing Gaunce now to a 3 year term is something that can easily done to create good will between the player and team and start building a strong relationship with him from the start.

CrazyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Garrett View Post
You obviously haven't been Mullen it over long enough. 26th overall is a crapshoot anyways. No point Joslin over whether or not it was a good pick until until he has some time to develop.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
You obviously haven't been Mullen it over long enough. 26th overall is a crapshoot anyways. No point Joslin over whether or not it was a good pick until until he has some time to develop.
I think our Lack of a scouting department really hurts our drafting. Add to it that this was supposedly one of the Weise drafts in a while and I'm not holding my breath. I really think our team got Butcher'ed at the draft table, but I'm happy with Gaunce.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote