HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XIII) The Rangers are officially Nash-ty; Preds match for Weber

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 12:33 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
The words Doan and Class have something in common. They both have nothing in common with the flyers.

NYR or bust!

Old
07-27-2012, 12:44 AM
gravey9

Doan aside - Cerny mentioned a few times recently that the team is looking hard for a veteran puck-moving D. But in looking over the top D around the league - it's slim pickings unless someone is unexpectedly available (like a Goligoski). Here's a list of some guys they might be looking at (are there others????)

One would think if they landed one of these guys, not only would it cost a good prospect, but it would also mean we're not getting a guy like Doan, etc.

1. Yandle
2. Visnovsky
3. Boyle
4. Edler (going to be a free agent next summer)
5. Enstrom
6. Goligoski (any chance to pry him from Stars, probably cost too much)
7. Bouwmeester
8. Marc Andre Bergeron(?)

Old
07-27-2012, 12:56 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Do we really want to invest $5M+ in a guy who's up there in age and on his last legs? Are these really the numbers being thrown around? 6.5 and 7M? For Shane Doan? Gotta be kidding.
i think the trend in pro sports is toward valuing non-measurable skills like hustle, leadership, savvy more than before. not that all teams do that, but there will be a team to pay doan for what he can do to help the attitude of a team. (i can't speak to doan's leadership, but this seems to be what everyone says about him). so the market is probably pretty good for him.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:56 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Doan aside - Cerny mentioned a few times recently that the team is looking hard for a veteran puck-moving D. But in looking over the top D around the league - it's slim pickings unless someone is unexpectedly available (like a Goligoski). Here's a list of some guys they might be looking at (are there others????)

One would think if they landed one of these guys, not only would it cost a good prospect, but it would also mean we're not getting a guy like Doan, etc.

1. Yandle
2. Visnovsky
3. Boyle
4. Edler (going to be a free agent next summer)
5. Enstrom
6. Goligoski (any chance to pry him from Stars, probably cost too much)
7. Bouwmeester
8. Marc Andre Bergeron(?)
A lot of those cap hits are too high.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:06 AM
gravey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
true in some cases. but they do have room to spend 6 mil or under for 2 years one 1 player. If it's more than 2 years, then the cap hit would have to be lower (or they'd have to be okay with removing another contract from the books, or expect the cap ceiling to increase after 2 years.)

Old
07-27-2012, 01:07 AM
egelband

what does pmd stand for, btw? point man defense? sorry...

Old
07-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

vCash: 50
puck moving defenseman

Old
07-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
what does pmd stand for, btw? point man defense? sorry...
puck moving defensemen.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Not to be confused with a puck carrying defensemen.

Which are REALLY rare.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Visnovsky isn't bad, 1 year deal at 5.6. Then there is a budget guy like Cody Franson who could probably be had for 1.5 million.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:16 AM
egelband

thanks!

you know, i think staal is a good puck-mover when he's right. he has real good agility and length and does a great job skating the puck out- when he wants to. i think his personality is to play a safer game, but he does have the talent to be a pmd. mcdonagh's really good at skating the puck up. i think he'll be even better this year with more confidence and experience. del zotto's decent as well. so i think the rangers are fairly good - at least, relatively - with pmds. they need a triggerman or two. guys who can one time shots *on net*. i hope nash is that kind of player. i think kreider is. that'll help the pp.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
thanks!

you know, i think staal is a good puck-mover when he's right. he has real good agility and length and does a great job skating the puck out- when he wants to. i think his personality is to play a safer game, but he does have the talent to be a pmd. mcdonagh's really good at skating the puck up. i think he'll be even better this year with more confidence and experience. del zotto's decent as well. so i think the rangers are fairly good - at least, relatively - with pmds. they need a triggerman or two. guys who can one time shots *on net*. i hope nash is that kind of player. i think kreider is. that'll help the pp.
Hmm, he is a good straight ahead skater as well as back skater. But he is a very mediocre lateral skater, which is very obvious when he plays the points. In fact, his lateral skating and puck control are two areas that are holding him back from a solid offensive game.

Guy has a very good shot, but if he doesn't develop those two areas, he will never be a real offensive threat.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:36 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Lett to sign...

• Michael del Zotto ($2,5m-$2,8m)
  • Right Winger ( or center)
  • Defenseman ( if Sauer is still out)

WHO Will it be? Who should it be?
Plenty of cash left for this year...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Rick*Nash ($7.800m) / Brad*Richards ($6.667m) / Ryan*Callahan ($4.275m)
Chris*Kreider ($1.325m) / Derek*Stepan ($0.875m) / ???
Carl*Hagelin ($0.875m) / Brian*Boyle ($1.700m) / Taylor*Pyatt ($1.550m)
Mike*Rupp ($1.500m) / Jeff*Halpern ($0.700m) / Arron*Asham ($1.000m)
Spare from CT while Gabby is out

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan*McDonagh ($1.300m) / Dan*Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc*Staal ($3.975m) / Anton*Stralman ($1.700m)
MDZ (unsigned RFA) / ???
Stu*Bickel ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik*Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin*Biron ($1.300m)

IR
Marian*Gaborik ($7.500m)
Michael*Sauer ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS
Chris*Drury ($1.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000
CAP PAYROLL: $57,908,334
DEFERRABLE BONUSES: $1,250,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster with 2 on IR): $12,291,666
IR: $8,750,000

Old
07-27-2012, 01:45 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Hmm, he is a good straight ahead skater as well as back skater. But he is a very mediocre lateral skater, which is very obvious when he plays the points. In fact, his lateral skating and puck control are two areas that are holding him back from a solid offensive game.

Guy has a very good shot, but if he doesn't develop those two areas, he will never be a real offensive threat.
i agree he's not a hummingbird on the ice, for sure. but i see him stride around defenders pretty well. i'm not saying i'm a hockey scout but i don't see a lot of defenders able to do what he does. he finds open space. naturally that's easier from the defensive zone to the neutral zone. and i agree, he's not a *quick* or *bouncy* guy. but he can get around defenders when he wants to.

Old
07-27-2012, 02:46 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think Jason Arnott is immediately signed by Sather if we miss out on Doan.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:24 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Hopefully Sather looks at the post-Cup fiasco in Chicago as the example for not overspending.

I mean, what team doesn't retain its young starting goalie after winning a Cup?

The cap space should be reserved in preparation for reserves, deadline rentals, and the RFAs whether they're arbitration eligible or not.

Doan for 7.5 million? Doan? Shane Doan?

Brian Rolston in 2008 was coming off a better year than Doan last year. How many times was he benched/waived?

Like I said, this isn't a video game.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:38 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Hopefully Sather looks at the post-Cup fiasco in Chicago as the example for not overspending.

The cap space should be reserved in preparation for reserves, deadline rentals, and the RFAs whether they're arbitration eligible or not.

Brian Rolston in 2008 was coming off a better year than Doan last year. How many times was he benched/waived?

I agree. $7.5 million is just too much. $5.5 million is too much imo. If he does not want to accept 4.5-5 million then move on. The team we have is pretty damn solid. Yeah there is a depth hole here and there but those can and will be filled. When the trade deadline comes around, you know where your team is at. If you need to add someone, you have the capability to do so with the cap space. Not proposing this, but a guy like Jarome Iginla could be on the block depending on CGY's status. UFA to be. Could re-sign with CGY after the season if he so chooses. Gets a chance at a stanley cup. Not a terrible option. IMO is much better than Doan at this point in their careers. Offers the grit, toughness, leadership that doan does plus more scoring.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:46 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post

I hate this. In almost every trade or contract proposal thread on these boards, you get some wiseguy making the obligatory "this isn't NHL12" comment or something in the vicinity of that remark.

Not only are such remarks old, unimaginative and boring, they are often used in situations where it's not apropriate, like when someone makes a pretty reasonable trade proposal that someone else just disagrees with. Or say if someone suggests bringing inn Shane Doan for a one year deal at 7,5M.

It's a stuipid way of trying to degrade other posters instead of making a real argument. Management are clearly trying to bring in Doan, they would probably be willing to give him two years at 6,5 per. If they wanted him for just the one year, I'm pretty sure they'd have to make it 7,5 at a minimum.

Nothing directed at you, GWOW, just sick of the whole videogame remarks.

Old
07-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I think we have a good chance if he leaves phx on a 2 year deal as long as the money is good
Agreed. Or good chance, what do we know. But there seems like there are some ingridiences in place for him to go "I care about the Cup, I've made my money and odds are that I will make pretty much money too if I am want to sign a new contract in 2 years", and sign with us or like the Penguins...

And, this is of course only speculation. But his family wants to live, and will live, in PHX. He will get a "second" home if he leaves PHX. Isn't NY a pretty good second home?

When everything is said and done, I do wonder if we won't only be short in term, but also money. We don't got that much cap space either... And while many teams are in that situation -- who do we dump if we need to cut 2-3m? That would be tough for us.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:01 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
I hate this. In almost every trade or contract proposal thread on these boards, you get some wiseguy making the obligatory "this isn't NHL12" comment or something in the vicinity of that remark.

Not only are such remarks old, unimaginative and boring, they are often used in situations where it's not apropriate, like when someone makes a pretty reasonable trade proposal that someone else just disagrees with. Or say if someone suggests bringing inn Shane Doan for a one year deal at 7,5M.

It's a stuipid way of trying to degrade other posters instead of making a real argument. Management are clearly trying to bring in Doan, they would probably be willing to give him two years at 6,5 per. If they wanted him for just the one year, I'm pretty sure they'd have to make it 7,5 at a minimum.

Nothing directed at you, GWOW, just sick of the whole videogame remarks.
Ok fine. Let's not use that remark. Hoowww abouuttt....utterly ****ing ridiculous? Does that work? $7.5 million for Doan, even at just 1 year, at his age is absurd. And he's getting multi-year offers from some teams at cap hits around $7 million. It's asinine by those organizations. Nash makes $7.8. Gaborik makes $7.5 million. Nash is at the very least a 30 goal scorer, good chance a 40 goal scorer on the rangers. Gaborik is a 40 goal scorer. Is Doan a 40 goal scorer? Is he even a 25 goal scorer?

Old
07-27-2012, 06:11 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Ok fine. Let's not use that remark. Hoowww abouuttt....utterly ****ing ridiculous? Does that work? $7.5 million for Doan, even at just 1 year, at his age is absurd. And he's getting multi-year offers from some teams at cap hits around $7 million. It's asinine by those organizations. Nash makes $7.8. Gaborik makes $7.5 million. Nash is at the very least a 30 goal scorer, good chance a 40 goal scorer on the rangers. Gaborik is a 40 goal scorer. Is Doan a 40 goal scorer? Is he even a 25 goal scorer?

I think Doan would be a good fit and probably contribute here, but I wouldn't want him at 7,5/1 or even 12/2. Even so, our organization are going after him and if they're going to be able to sign him, it's going to cost them.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

4 years minimum for Doan?

No thanks. I'd rather one of our prospects try to win a spot.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:30 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
I think Doan would be a good fit and probably contribute here, but I wouldn't want him at 7,5/1 or even 12/2. Even so, our organization are going after him and if they're going to be able to sign him, it's going to cost them.
No. They just won't sign him then. Simple as that. Let's see how much he wants to win a cup if he doesn't return to PHO.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Doan will chat over the phone with potential buyer Greg Jamison Friday in what appears as a last-ditch effort to gain insight into the status of Jamison's bid to purchase the Coyotes. If Doan's camp doesn't receive the reassurance it's seeking, talks with other interested teams are likely to begin.

"We're expecting some type of announcement or debriefing (Friday) regarding the ownership group, and hopefully we get good news and (General Manager) Don (Maloney) and I can start putting pencil to paper," said Doan's agent, Terry Bross. "If we don't, I think we're going to start to negotiate with some of the other clubs."

Doan has a list prepared of teams he would consider joining. Already 16 teams have expressed interest in the 35-year-old right wing and six have made formal offers.

"I say there are three or four that he's very serious about," Bross said. "There's probably two more that he has a lot of interest in."
Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...#ixzz21ovPqEJi

This agent talks too much. What is with all of the visits? Doan will visit other teams next week depending upon what he hears today. Montreal is a destination spot next week. Montreal is the team which made the 4 year/$30M offer. That Eklund guy reported that. If Doan is going for a visit to Montreal,they must have the highest offer on the table. Doan isn't going there to win anything in the immediate future. Bross spoke to the Vancouver reporter who reported it will take at least a 4 year offer to land Doan and he won't consider a deal shorter than 3 years but it won't be enough. The agent could have told the reporter that information "off the record". Print it but don't quote me.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:49 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Doan isn't getting a 3 year deal from the Rangers. It'd have to be $4 million max per year and even that is hard to swallow. He is a declining player. He is not a 30 goal scorer. The intangibles he brings only goes so far.

I think Sather's Plan B's to Doan consist of exploring Holmstrom, Rolston, and Arnott. Can Rolston play center? I don't believe so. I think sather can get one of those 3 on the cheap to play the 3rd line.

Closed Thread