HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Talk (Part XIII) The Rangers are officially Nash-ty; Preds match for Weber

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Graves94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...#ixzz21ovPqEJi

This agent talks too much. What is with all of the visits? Doan will visit other teams next week depending upon what he hears today. Montreal is a destination spot next week. Montreal is the team which made the 4 year/$30M offer. That Eklund guy reported that. If Doan is going for a visit to Montreal,they must have the highest offer on the table. Doan isn't going there to win anything in the immediate future. Bross spoke to the Vancouver reporter who reported it will take at least a 4 year offer to land Doan and he won't consider a deal shorter than 3 years but it won't be enough. The agent could have told the reporter that information "off the record". Print it but don't quote me.
RB, 2 other factors why Montreal might be appealing to him, is that Price is his cousin, and are supposedly pretty close, and the other is that he's pretty good friends with Marc Bergevin, the new Montreal GM. IF Mtl sends Gomez to the minors (very good possibility) they will have plenty of cap room to sign Doan.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:49 AM
NYR Viper

I can see Doan getting a 4 year deal, but it won't be for 7.5 million/season. It will be, possibly structured so that he makes a lot of that money up front with a signing bonus but his cap hit will most likely remain the same @ ~4.3 or be a little less.

I think it is being mis-reported. I still think Doan should be priority #1 at this point.

Arnott would be a solid option as well if Doan goes elsewhere.

What does everything think of possibly signing Jesse Winchester as a spare forward? I know they have Haley but if they allow him to play in the AHL to continue to develop, maybe Winchester would be a good choice as the spare forward? He had a 53% f/o percentage last year.

Also, I highly doubt the Rangers go into training camp with only (6) healthy d-men. McIlrath is coming off of surgery. Erixon is gone. Sauer may not be ready. I think they will sign (1) more d-man and invite a couple of veterans into camp to battle for a spot.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Doan aside - Cerny mentioned a few times recently that the team is looking hard for a veteran puck-moving D. But in looking over the top D around the league - it's slim pickings unless someone is unexpectedly available (like a Goligoski). Here's a list of some guys they might be looking at (are there others????)

One would think if they landed one of these guys, not only would it cost a good prospect, but it would also mean we're not getting a guy like Doan, etc.

1. Yandle
2. Visnovsky
3. Boyle
4. Edler (going to be a free agent next summer)
5. Enstrom
6. Goligoski (any chance to pry him from Stars, probably cost too much)
7. Bouwmeester
8. Marc Andre Bergeron(?)
Isn't it a must almost that it's a right shooting D too?

Old
07-27-2012, 08:06 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I like Spacek but he shoots left.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:08 AM
free0717

I like Shane Doan, but unless he accepts a 1 yr deal, I stay away. 35 and over multi year contracts way too risky.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I still think Doan should be priority #1 at this point.
I think that a right-handed defenseman to round out the 3rd pairing is priority #1 at this point. But Doan should be a close 2nd. His addition really rounds out the top 9 forwards.

Stu Bickel needs to be a depth guy. Not in the top 6 every night.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:14 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think that a right-handed defenseman to round out the 3rd pairing is priority #1 at this point. But Doan should be a close 2nd. His addition really rounds out the top 9 forwards.

I hear Sauer is making great progress. I think if Sauer wasnt doing so good, they would be much more active in pursuit of a RH Dman that has the ability to play 2nd pairing.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:19 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I hear Sauer is making great progress. I think if Sauer wasnt doing so good, they would be much more active in pursuit of a RH Dman that has the ability to play 2nd pairing.
I think they're pursuing a RH dman regardless of Sauer's progress. You simply can't count on Sauer at this point. Proceed like he's out and then whatever he gives you is a bonus.

07-27-2012, 08:28 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

I know it may sound scary/crazy but if I am the Rangers I invite a few veterans in who don't have contracts and show them the spot open and let them battle it out. I have a feeling players like Eminger, Kubina, etc. may be looking to just grab a spot.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I like Shane Doan, but unless he accepts a 1 yr deal, I stay away. 35 and over multi year contracts way too risky.
According to this he won't even accept a three year deal. He will likely get four or five. I stay away from Doan. As with most UFAs you will have to overpay dramatically (years and dollars) to get him. We already overpaid for Richards and to lesser extent Nash. I steer clear of three year deals for a 35 yr old. There is plenty of grit and leadership on this team. we don't need his 25 goals that badly now that Nash is here and have Kreider for a full year.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...190/story.html

Old
07-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think they're pursuing a RH dman regardless of Sauer's progress. You simply can't count on Sauer at this point. Proceed like he's out and then whatever he gives you is a bonus.
At the same time, I guess it depends how good that 6th D would be. You can "always" get a Woywitka type. Probably within 24h.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I know it may sound scary/crazy but if I am the Rangers I invite a few veterans in who don't have contracts and show them the spot open and let them battle it out. I have a feeling players like Eminger, Kubina, etc. may be looking to just grab a spot.
Kubina looked so bad towards the end of last year. He was scratched for 6 of the 11 playoff games the Flyers played. He might be better off late in the year if he was getting 12-14 minutes per game for the regular season instead of 18-20, but I don't think you can count on it.

His conditioning was pretty bad when he came to the Flyers as well. Not sure if that was a result of sitting out for a little while while Yzerman decided whether or not he was going to trade him, or just because he's finally breaking down. Still, I think I'd probably feel better with Eminger. At least he can skate.

Either way, the options are few and far between.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:52 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'd like to see Kubina receive an invitation, but I wouldn't sign him without seeing him in camp. He looked awful last season.

Doan should still be a priority right now, depending on how reasonable his contract demands are. I'm not too worried about the defense. Whatever minor weaknesses the blueline group has are largely off-set by our goaltender, our forwards, and an overall team commitment to playing defense.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:54 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It doesn't matter how the 35 plus contract is structured. Cerny said they won't offer more than a 2 year deal for a reason. Anything longer is ridiculous. This guy suffers a long term injury and is forced to retire or just doesn't want to play anymore,the Rangers are on the hook. I know what Cerny said about the D. Some of the guys mentioned here cost a kings ransom or aren't really improvements. Yandle? Maloney wants a top center. The Rangers aren't filling his need at center. The Blues have been trying to find a quality D and they have found the prices to be ridiculous.The Rangers looked to add a D in the trade market last season and didn't make a trade. The Rangers found Stralman on the scrap heap and gave him a chance. They re-signed him to a 2 year deal yesterday. Less than 4 out of 10 D shoot righthanded in the NHL. STL wanted a left or right shot. Pietrangelo can play both sides. No dice.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Hopefully Doan prefers depth and stability throughout the lineup to giant piles of money. Pretty tough decision for a guy who has never cashed in on a huge pay day.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:29 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It doesn't matter how the 35 plus contract is structured. Cerny said they won't offer more than a 2 year deal for a reason. Anything longer is ridiculous. This guy suffers a long term injury and is forced to retire or just doesn't want to play anymore,the Rangers are on the hook. I know what Cerny said about the D. Some of the guys mentioned here cost a kings ransom or aren't really improvements. Yandle? Maloney wants a top center. The Rangers aren't filling his need at center. The Blues have been trying to find a quality D and they have found the prices to be ridiculous.The Rangers looked to add a D in the trade market last season and didn't make a trade. The Rangers found Stralman on the scrap heap and gave him a chance. They re-signed him to a 2 year deal yesterday. Less than 4 out of 10 D shoot righthanded in the NHL. STL wanted a left or right shot. Pietrangelo can play both sides. No dice.

i've heard Cam Barker's name mentioned...

seems slim pickings out there and the prices are steep for Dmen.

We could make a strength stronger with signing Doan, however as you've said no more than 2. That probably means we don't get him I guess.

We could do worse than Arnott as a 3C, but i just don't like the guy...

Old
07-27-2012, 09:31 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Two years at $6 million per is the most I see the Rangers offering.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Lundsanity30

With getting Nash, the signing of Doan becomes a luxury now. I might have been willing to offer 3 years (not 4 or 5) had we not gotten Nash, but we did.

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik(when he returns/if no lockout)
Nash-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Boyle-Pyatt
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

Mcdonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman/Sauer(?)
Del Zotto - XX(Stralman? if Sauer is healthy)
Bickel

Hank
Biron

We can use another bottom pairing defensemen, and in a perfect world, a top 9 guy to move Pyatt to the 4th line so both Rupp and Asham don't have to play every night.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:40 AM
NYR Viper

I would rather get Arnott and play him as the Rangers 3rd C and move Boyle to 4th C. Halpern can be the extra forward. That would make more sense than adding a 3rd line winger IF Doan chooses elsewhere.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

vCash: 50
Since no one seems to want Bickel playing every night as the 6th D, what do you think about bringing Eminger back on a 1 year/$1M deal to play on the 3rd pairing?

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
I would rather get Arnott and play him as the Rangers 3rd C and move Boyle to 4th C. Halpern can be the extra forward. That would make more sense than adding a 3rd line winger IF Doan chooses elsewhere.
Yup, not saying I love Arnott, but bringing in a 3rd line center would fill a pretty big need down the middle.

Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

$6M per for Doan is a tough fit with the cap being set at 11-12 cap # $64.3M. Where is the cap being set in the next CBA?

Old
07-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz728 View Post
Since no one seems to want Bickel playing every night as the 6th D, what do you think about bringing Eminger back on a 1 year/$1M deal to play on the 3rd pairing?
even worse than bickel on 1 year. at least bickel is young and has room to improve. eminger is older and has hit his prime

Old
07-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
For me, Jason Arnott is not a clear upgrade over Boyle. At his age, it may actually be a step backwards.

I dont fully understand the hate for Boyle. There are worse things in this word than having him at the 3C.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
From what the Blues' fans say, Arnott is horrible when it comes to defense (can he work with Torts system?), and Torts really likes Boyle on the 3rd line c because he's one of the best defensive forwards. Hagelin is not that great defensively either, what about Pyatt? not sure I want 3 unresponsible defensive forwards on the 3rd line...

Closed Thread