HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part Sechzehn: Canes Acquire Semin

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Or as I like to call him, "Serge"

I work with a bunch of them

Old
07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Neal was a RFA and getting term. Semin @ 7 mil on a one year deal is hardly as ridiculous as some other contracts handed out in free agency.
no it's not ridiculous if he gets back to form. It's not good if he puts up 21 goals again.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Just read the news.

Very.

VERY.

Disappointed!

Old
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Just read the news.

Very.

VERY.

Disappointed!
Muscles is so disappoint.... very disappoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I work with a bunch of them
Do they offer to make you an espresso with a little lemon twist?

Old
07-26-2012, 04:49 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

I don't really care that we didn't get Semin. Scoring goals was never this team's problem and it won't be next year either. That said, I'm not following the logic of the people saying that they'd never sign Semin to a 1yr/7m contract. I mean the "1yr" part of that equation kind of makes the dollar amount almost irrelevant. With nearly 12 mil in cap space to blow, signing Semin to that contract wouldn't have been a bad move at all. Either way, getting some flashy winger is not the pressing concern that some seem to think it is.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:49 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Andy Hughes ‏@PensNation_Andy

James Neal and Chris Kunitz cost $8.725 million together while Semin will be making $7 million by himself. #RillDill
As nice as the Neal and Kunitz contracts are, I'd have taken Semin at 7m for one year easily. I am not mad or anything and I don't think it is the biggest **** up in GM history, but it's still stupid to compare the FA signing of a top winger to contracts signed some time ago. Especially when it is in Carolina, where they don't care about the cap hit and it's not still like Parise, Kovalchuk, Richards and whoever else make twice as much in real money next year.

As we say in Germany: Optimism is caused by a lack of information.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:50 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
no it's not ridiculous if he gets back to form. It's not good if he puts up 21 goals again.
He could put up 25+ in his sleep on our PP and flanking Sid. It'll be interesting what he does in Carolina. Solid locker room. We'll see.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:50 PM
SidTheKid8787

All of this has to give TK and Tangradi a bit of a buzz under their saddles knowing a top 6 role is open.

Unless of course RS is shopping them.

I'd still be shocked if Ray doesn't pick up someone though or make a deal to bring in a top 6 winger.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
“@ThePittsburgher: @pgshelly I am assuming Shero won't sign any free agents or trades this offseason?" I don't assume that at all #Penguins
Hmm, someone who covers the team doesn't assume that Shero is done and guess what? She knows the Penguins more than we do!

Old
07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He could put up 25+ in his sleep on our PP and flanking Sid. It'll be interesting what he does in Carolina. Solid locker room. We'll see.
indeed. I would have been happy to sign him for that deal. Just saying, its high enough that I can at least understand why Shero wouldn't want to give it to him.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Hmm, someone who covers the team doesn't assume that Shero is done and guess what? She knows the Penguins more than we do!
But I thought Shero came to HFBoards for advice...

Old
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I don't really care that we didn't get Semin. Scoring goals was never this team's problem and it won't be next year either. That said, I'm not following the logic of the people saying that they'd never sign Semin to a 1yr/7m contract. I mean the "1yr" part of that equation kind of makes the dollar amount almost irrelevant. With nearly 12 mil in cap space to blow, signing Semin to that contract wouldn't have been a bad move at all. Either way, getting some flashy winger is not the pressing concern that some seem to think it is.
i'm curious where people getting 12 mil in cap space, even now we have almost 10, and thats without Tangradi signed, so say around 9 mil after that.
i know its not that much different, but if u take 7mil out of it, it makes a difference lol

Old
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Muscles is so disappoint.... very disappoint.

I'm calm, I'm calm.

We can get Doan, we STILL can get Doan!

Old
07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
All of this has to give TK and Tangradi a bit of a buzz under their saddles knowing a top 6 role is open.

Unless of course RS is shopping them.

I'd still be shocked if Ray doesn't pick up someone though or make a deal to bring in a top 6 winger.
My attitude is I'm not going to be shocked if we don't sign any relatively big names (all the truly big ones are gone now) this summer -- Ray almost never makes big moves in the summer... he's tried a few times with Hossa, Parise/Suter -- but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it either.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Nobody is giving Shero or the Pens a free pass for last year. In fact, I specifically pointed out how much that one stung.

The problem is that some people are judging Shero on a half-summer's work, and refusing to give a GM with a track record as good as any in the league the benefit of the doubt.
Yes it's half a summer's work, but all but 1 FA that has any value has signed already.

The, "it's still only July" argument gets weaker with every signing. Are you going to be saying the same thing if (when) Doan signs somewhere else?

Old
07-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post

I'm calm, I'm calm.

We can get Doan, we STILL can get Doan!
Well allegedly he's met with Shero at some point this week and tomorrow is his "decision day", but I wouldn't expect it to be here or anywhere but PHX.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

you know what annoys me the most about this? All the people saying things like "there's no way Shero is interested in a guy like Semin" or "we only like grinders" are going to use this as evidence that they are right even though this doesn't mean a damn thing in that regard.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Yes it's half a summer's work, but all but 1 FA that has any value has signed already.

The, "it's still only July" argument gets weaker with every signing. Are you going to be saying the same thing if (when) Doan signs somewhere else?
yes because we can still make trades. I would have loved to sign Semin. Obviously Parise too. Even Doan. But the wrong move would be to panic and make a bad deal.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Well allegedly he's met with Shero at some point this week and tomorrow is his "decision day", but I wouldn't expect it to be here or anywhere but PHX.
tomorrow is the day they hope to have more information. again.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
tomorrow is the day they hope to have more information. again.
You mean these Free Agents don't stick to their own timelines?

Old
07-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
You mean these Free Agents don't stick to their own timelines?
it's not even his timeline this time, it's his agent's. His agent hopes he can convince him to start seriously considering outside offers if they don't have more info tomorrow.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
yes because we can still make trades. I would have loved to sign Semin. Obviously Parise too. Even Doan. But the wrong move would be to panic and make a bad deal.
So we can move assets to gain players similar to who we could have gotten for free in free agency?

And who can we get and who are we moving? Contrary to popular belief, not every D prospect is going to turn into a 40 goal scorer.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:01 PM
zhenya71

I'm not advocating that we make a trade or sign somebody just for the sake of making a move, but going into the season (assuming we do) with ~$10M in cap space is inexcusable.

Sure, it gives us tons of wiggle room, but I find it hard to believe that we're icing the best team possible doing that. And for those who bring up what it might enable us to do at the tread deadline...that prorates to like $40M in cap space...an amount so huge that you could never fill it all, putting aside the assets you'd have to give up to even try.

I'm sure we'll be fine during the regular season, but that's not what this is all about. We've busted two out of the last three years in the playoffs with a healthy roster, and had a a first round meltdown in 2011, albeit with serious injuries. We're supposed to be moving forward in all this...not stagnating or regressing relative to our prime competitors.

I mean, we all say "in Shero we trust" and all that, but what players out there do you guys realistically think he can pursue that would address our team needs and make sense from a trade (since the UFA market this year is pretty much bone dry now) standpoint either now, at the deadline or between?

Old
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I'm bummed about not getting Semin. I know we were able to score goals last year but I feel like we overcompensate by using our d-men too much offensively. I thought it be nice to have some winger scoring and let our d concentrate on playing d and allow them to jump in and play offense as a bonus instead of having to rely on them.

I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell we get Doan. Somebody will be willing to pay more than what's reasonable and definately more than we will pay.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
i'm curious where people getting 12 mil in cap space, even now we have almost 10, and thats without Tangradi signed, so say around 9 mil after that.
i know its not that much different, but if u take 7mil out of it, it makes a difference lol
I've seen a few people throw the 12mil number around so I just assumed it was correct. But regardless, the point still stands. We have more than enough money to offer a contract like that if the term is only 1 year. Not that it matter because, as I said, I don't think getting top 6 talent is such a pressing concern. I just don't agree with the notion that signing a potential 40 goal scorer to a 1 year deal for 7 mil is all that ludicrous.

Closed Thread