HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Subban going to be approached by other teams?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2012, 05:24 PM
  #26
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go
 
canadiensnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Nope, only if you decide to go to arbitration you are exempt from offersheets, ex Price this summer.
Exactly why habs took him to arb just incase other offer sheet him.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 05:24 PM
  #27
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,056
vCash: 500
We should go on the offense instead and offer sheet the Cap's Carlson.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:43 PM
  #28
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Would we hear of offer sheets being sent unless the player signs it?

They could have already sent one, but Subban refused to sign it?

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:44 PM
  #29
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,552
vCash: 50
Awards:
I wondered that myself, but I doubt he signs it.

__________________
"I really like the way Drew Doughty plays the game. He's like a defenceman version of Erik Karlsson."
-68
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 06:52 PM
  #30
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥
 
Theosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DDO, Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,181
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
Would we hear of offer sheets being sent unless the player signs it?

They could have already sent one, but Subban refused to sign it?
I only remember hearing of offer sheets when the player actually signs it... I don't think I've heard of them when players refuse to sign them.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
  #31
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
We're talking about NHL professionals here, it's not a school yard pickup game...
And he'd instantly be their #1 defenseman. As for Boston I remember him being the best player in the last playoffs series against them.
Pronger has regressed so much that he'd no longer be the #1 in Philadelphia if Subban became a Flyer?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 07:52 PM
  #32
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Pronger has regressed so much that he'd no longer be the #1 in Philadelphia if Subban became a Flyer?
Pronger is finito.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:40 PM
  #33
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 50
Quote:
will Holmgren give an offer sheet to another restricted free agent, such as Montreal defenseman P.K. Subban?
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ins-Weber.html

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:50 PM
  #34
Edgy
Registered User
 
Edgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Jordan
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
So why hasn't Montreal filed for arbitration to protect him from offer sheets like they did with Price?

Isn't there a deadline where they have to agree to terms by before they lose his RFA rights?

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
  #35
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,642
vCash: 500
No offer sheet coming, it would take such an over payment for the Habs not match that it will not happen.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:11 PM
  #36
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
So why hasn't Montreal filed for arbitration to protect him from offer sheets like they did with Price?

Isn't there a deadline where they have to agree to terms by before they lose his RFA rights?
Meeting with MB is scheduled for this week talks may only start tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised that he'll signed before the week-end.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:41 PM
  #37
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Quote:
But make no mistake, this is a MAJOR setback to the franchise. A team with Claude Giroux and Shea Weber as its anchors - along with a terrific young nucleus - would have been a perennial Stanley Cup contender.
whatever you say philly.com

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:48 PM
  #38
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
I'm not worried about anyone plucking PK.

What I'd like to see in the new CBA is automatic penalties imposed on a team extending an offer sheet to an RFA. Philly would have thought twice about the offer sheet if it automatically cost them a 2nd round pick to do so. Offer sheets are predatory (pun intended) and should cost something.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:10 PM
  #39
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I'm not worried about anyone plucking PK.

What I'd like to see in the new CBA is automatic penalties imposed on a team extending an offer sheet to an RFA. Philly would have thought twice about the offer sheet if it automatically cost them a 2nd round pick to do so. Offer sheets are predatory (pun intended) and should cost something.
Why?

It's all fair game.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:04 PM
  #40
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,056
vCash: 500
It would make for a crazy, crazy season if PK wasn't playing in Montreal because we couldn't afford him but we could afford Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 11:12 PM
  #41
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
It would make for a crazy, crazy season if PK wasn't playing in Montreal because we couldn't afford him but we could afford Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque.
I predict that at least two of those players will be gone by the trade deadline unless they miraculously play at their peak career levels.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:02 AM
  #42
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
hum..PK Subban for possibly 4-5 1st round picks?

Interesting

Jabba11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:55 AM
  #43
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Why?

It's all fair game.
It's only fair game because those are the rules they've set. Offer sheets unfairly shift the balance of power towards rich teams, and away from parity. Nashville likely paid more for Weber than they would have had to without Phillys interference. This will take money away from their budget for the rest of their team, because unlike philly they can't spend to the cap and still make a profit. Compensation would make it fair. As it is any big budget team can bully another into having to make brutal choices.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:45 AM
  #44
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
hum..PK Subban for possibly 4-5 1st round picks?

Interesting
Just what I was thinking. Carolina made an outrageous offer for Federov back in the 1990's. Had Detroit not matched (and the league not rejected it for some reason or other) the Red Wings would've gotten Tanabe, Nedorost, Knyazev, Ward and Staal.

Now I'm not sure Staal/Ward and lesser pieces for Federov is a square deal, nor can we be certain that the red Wings would've picked the same players or sat in the same spot (with Carolina's standing presumably improving with the addition of Federov). But for a rebuilding team like Montreal the possibility of adding a couple of future all-stars for Subban is not unattractive.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:13 AM
  #45
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,311
vCash: 243
The good thing about an offer sheet is that we'd have PK locked up for 7-13 years if he was offer sheeted. No team is going to give up 4 first rounders on a short contract.

The problem is i would almost be tempted to take the deal. It would likely put us in the Mackinnon sweepstakes and as a new GM, you can afford to be bad for 2-3 years. Bergy would really be able to put his stamp on this team and we'd maximize value for our crap assets like Bourque & Kaberle.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:16 AM
  #46
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
Exactly why habs took him to arb just incase other offer sheet him.
Also replying to Edgy who asked the same question, I'm not sure the reason why but I believe a team can take a player to arbitration once, and MTL seems to love to give out a 2nd short term team after players ELC, ex Eller,Diaz, Patches, DD, Weber, Price, etc all got only 2 year deals after their ELC, and after that is up, I think MTL would just rather use it when the 2nd contract is up, because the 3rd contract is usually the big contract, ex if Habs took Price to arbitration after his ELC, the Habs could have been in a whole if Price got a crazy offersheet say like from the Leafs.

Also I believe Subban had the choice to file for arbitration as well but didn't.

Overall it would be a big waste of time for the Flyers, I mean the only reason they did the Weber offersheet was because they had a good chance of Nashville not matching because of all the upfront money. Same structure would have no impact on the Habs.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:18 AM
  #47
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
I only remember hearing of offer sheets when the player actually signs it... I don't think I've heard of them when players refuse to sign them.
ya its only official once its signed by the players, in regards to hearing about offers, its all rumours, just like July 1st rumours of teams offering a certain player a contract or not.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:19 AM
  #48
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,613
vCash: 500
just remember if the player don't want to sign the offer sheet ,then it is worth sheet.
Why would Subban want out of Montreal?
Weber wanted out,Subban doesn't.
Subban is a HABS


Quote:
P.K. Subban remains the lone unsigned restricted free agent on the Montreal Canadiens roster but, unlike fellow defenceman Shea Weber, he isn't looking elsewhere.

There have been no discussions with other NHL teams, agent Don Meehan, told TVA Sports Friday.

Quote:
Meehan is focused on getting a deal done with the Canadiens. He said he has meetings scheduled next week with general manager Marc Bergevin.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/20...or-habs-subban

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:36 AM
  #49
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
It's only fair game because those are the rules they've set. Offer sheets unfairly shift the balance of power towards rich teams, and away from parity. Nashville likely paid more for Weber than they would have had to without Phillys interference. This will take money away from their budget for the rest of their team, because unlike philly they can't spend to the cap and still make a profit. Compensation would make it fair. As it is any big budget team can bully another into having to make brutal choices.
If it really screwed up their budget, then they could have let him go and take the four 1st round picks. Even if they don't think it's a good return, having 8 first round picks in the next four years is quite valuable. Enough so that they can rebuild properly.

I think what you're talking about is more on the contract front than actual offer sheet.
Any time can match an offer sheet. The contracts are where the bullying make occur.
Philly gave huge signing bonuses to Weber. He will get 26M in his first year. It's up to the NHL to level the playing field when it comes to that. Limit signing bonuses.
But this can also happen for UFAs, where there is no offer sheets, as we saw with Suter.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 08:09 AM
  #50
JohnnyReb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 558
vCash: 500
With regards to "bullying" this would not happen if the NHL had a sensible revenue sharing plan, like the NFL and NBA do. The Flyers are owned by a corporation, and thus their ultimate goal is NOT to win the Stanley Cup, but to make a profit. Winning the Stanley Cup of course goes a long ways towards ensuring that you do make a profit, not just from extended gate receipts from a long playoff drive, but of course through the marketing bonanza that comes with it. So for them throwing $26 million in cash at Shea Weber in the next year is an "investment" and not a loss of money.

However, if they had to throw that $26 million into a revenue sharing pool I can guarantee you that they then wouldn't throw another $26 million at Weber. $52 million would be too much to recuperate.

A lot of the NHL's problems would go away with a good revenue sharing plan, I believe. You wouldn't see this type of bullying. Unfortunately it's not in an NHL owner's makeup to do that, and probably for good reason. Charles Wang is worth more than Geoff Molson - significantly more if you consider how much Molson had to leverage to buy the Canadiens. And yet under an expanded revenue sharing plan Molson would have to give some of his money to the richer Wang, even though Wang is an idiot when it comes to running a hockey team. Worse still, he'd have to give some of his profits to organizations like Phoenix and yes, Nashville, who arguably shouldn't even be in the league. But in a salary cap/non-revenue sharing world having these teams in the league actually HELPS the other owners, as their lower revenues act as a drag on the cap. Which of course helps the other owners keep more of their money.

But it's much easier to blame Shea Weber and the other players, and tell the fans that they have no choice but to raise ticket prices, because of those greedy players.

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.