HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Subban going to be approached by other teams?

Old
07-25-2012, 11:16 AM
maci4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Are you serious?

IF Montreal needs that salary, they will make room by burying Gomez.

I mean, we've gone over this a few times now.

They can still sign Doan, and take care of the cap room later, since teams are allowed to go over the cap during the summer. Gomez in the minors at the start of the season and all is great.

BUT all that is moot, since it hasn't happened yet. When the time comes, IF Doan signs, they'll make room.

C'mon dude, stop going around in circles.

they can only go over by 10% yes no?

we can only guestimate numbers, but Subban will be getting 5+ most likely. that doesn't leave much wiggle room.

if Doan gets signed for 6/year.

tell me how mtl clears 5 mill by the starting of the season?

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Honestly I really doubt that would happen, however if it did, I honestly don't think I would want him back
It would be Komisarek all over again.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

You aren't saying anything we don't know, except when you say 'if they haven't had to yet, then they're not serious about putting a winning team on the ice.'

I'm sure management is serious about putting a winning team on the ice, but unlike NHL 12, this is a real league where things don't happen overnight.

Montreal is not a contender yet, and it would be foolish to think they are.

If Doan chooses Montreal (big IF), Montreal can make space, we all know this.

No point in making space before acquiring him though. That would be ass backwards, even if it makes you think 'Montreal doesn't have the balls' or whatever message you were trying to convey.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
they can only go over by 10% yes no?

we can only guestimate numbers, but Subban will be getting 5+ most likely. that doesn't leave much wiggle room.

if Doan gets signed for 6/year.

tell me how mtl clears 5 mill by the starting of the season?
What's 10% of $70M?

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:20 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Presenting as fact??

where are you reading this??

you're both taking my points as absolutes ( no they aren't fact ), when they're merely opinion of how to increase cap space, and what i feel may be the necessary route in clearing space.

if MTl has the gonads

then they sign subban, bury Gomez, and sign Doan.

if they don't

then Sign subban, keep Gomez, and welcome to last year.

MTL has $6,302,024 and that doesn't include Subban's new contract.
Wrong, MTL has 7.4+M in cap space, when you put the proper lineup togeher,ex Leblanc starting in the AHL.

7.4 with 22/23 roster spots, so it would be 23/23 with Subban signed. And Subban will most likely get a 3-4M deal on a short term deal of 2 years (history shows, MTL give out 2 year deals after players ELC, DD,Patches,Emelin,Diaz,Weber,Eller). But even if Subban gets 5, that leaves 2.4M, plus 10% of the cap to spending for the rest of the summer.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)*
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)*
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)*
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.575m) / Ryan White ($0.688m)*
Scott Gomez ($7.357m)*
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)*
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)*
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)*
Yannick Weber ($0.850m) /*
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)*
Peter Budaj ($1.150m)*
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,727,976; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,472,024

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
I highly doubt this will happen, and Montreal would more likely than not be willing to meet his demands, unless he wants something ridiculous(which i again doubt)
What do you consider "ridiculous"? Because we have the owner and GM to make that happen here in Philadelphia.

For instance, is 7 years / $42,054,880 enough to make the Canadiens think? Compensation would be 4 1st round picks. Cap hit would be just over $6 M.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs aren't under the gun financially, so it would be a futile gesture. However, Bergevin isn't stupid and he might agree to a trade that's obviously advantageous for the Habs. As for matching an offer sheet, it might depend on which team is making it as well as on the amount offered translated into first round draft picks. Bergevin would have to estimate where that team is likely to finish if it had Subban.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
What do you consider "ridiculous"? Because we have the owner and GM to make that happen here in Philadelphia.

For instance, is 7 years / $42,054,880 enough to make the Canadiens think? Compensation would be 4 1st round picks. Cap hit would be just over $6 M.
I can't speak for other Habs fans, but I hope they'd match without thinking twice.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I'm not worried about anyone plucking PK.

What I'd like to see in the new CBA is automatic penalties imposed on a team extending an offer sheet to an RFA. Philly would have thought twice about the offer sheet if it automatically cost them a 2nd round pick to do so. Offer sheets are predatory (pun intended) and should cost something.
I like the fact offersheets exist every GM and every team in teh NHL can use them as a tool and teh picks given up will offset the team as compensation. I am surprised they aren't used more often especially by the richer teams in the league I wish they would.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
Just what I was thinking. Carolina made an outrageous offer for Federov back in the 1990's. Had Detroit not matched (and the league not rejected it for some reason or other) the Red Wings would've gotten Tanabe, Nedorost, Knyazev, Ward and Staal.

Now I'm not sure Staal/Ward and lesser pieces for Federov is a square deal, nor can we be certain that the red Wings would've picked the same players or sat in the same spot (with Carolina's standing presumably improving with the addition of Federov). But for a rebuilding team like Montreal the possibility of adding a couple of future all-stars for Subban is not unattractive.
Plus, having those 4 1st round picks combined with our 1st round pick in 2013 + 3 2nd round picks in 2013, I'd be trying to deal something to acquire both MacKinnon and Jones. Anything less than MacKinnon or Jones is a fail.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I like the fact offersheets exist every GM and every team in teh NHL can use them as a tool and teh picks given up will offset the team as compensation. I am surprised they aren't used more often especially by the richer teams in the league I wish they would.
Most teams won't give up their franchise players, it almost doesn't matter what the price is.

I think offer sheets are viable to players who are deserving of better ice time and a bigger role on a team, like a Jordan Staal or a Halak if we hadn't of traded him.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Narbo

No way PK signs anything with anybody else.

He loves Montreal, he's good friend Price just signed into his 30's and he knows Montreal will sign him long term as well.

Even if he had the Rain Man as an agent, PK knows that signing an offer sheet somewhere else instantly gets matched, and you become public enemy number 1 in Montreal for life.

Narbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narbo View Post
No way PK signs anything with anybody else.

He loves Montreal, he's good friend Price just signed into his 30's and he knows Montreal will sign him long term as well.

Even if he had the Rain Man as an agent, PK knows that signing an offer sheet somewhere else instantly gets matched, and you become public enemy number 1 in Montreal for life.
If anything, I could see PK and his agent using a submitted offer sheet as leverage to get a better contract from Montreal, without accepting it and having the situation go public.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
It's only fair game because those are the rules they've set. Offer sheets unfairly shift the balance of power towards rich teams, and away from parity. Nashville likely paid more for Weber than they would have had to without Phillys interference. This will take money away from their budget for the rest of their team, because unlike philly they can't spend to the cap and still make a profit. Compensation would make it fair. As it is any big budget team can bully another into having to make brutal choices.
But there is the option of compensatory picks. This isn't a non-profit organization, or charity, this is a sports business. If NSH couldn't afford to match, they could draft, and develop great young players like they have been doing. Instead they decided to match, regardless of the financial strain it may cause. I don't understand this 'bullying' idea. They are using a completely legal option in the CBA. It's done in other leagues all the time. By putting in a deterrent like you suggest, they would be better off just removing the option altogether.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

A journalist asked Holmgren if he was interested in going after Subban. He said "no comments". But it felt like he was inclined to...

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:09 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Well Meehan stated last week that he didn't recieve any offer sheets for Subban.

Subban loves the city and grew up as a Habs fan just like his father.

Wouldn't be surprised if he signed a 3-4 year deal with the Habs somewhere at the end of the week (Fri, Sat, Sun)

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:58 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post

I would suggest you read official RFA compensation for offer sheets. A $6 M offer yields only a first, a second, and a third.

The offer needs to be over $7.8M to get 4 firsts.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:47 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I would suggest you read official RFA compensation for offer sheets. A $6 M offer yields only a first, a second, and a third.

The number and quality of draft choices due to the Prior Club shall be based
on the average annual value of the compensation contained in the Principal Terms (as
defined in Section 10.3(e) hereof) of the New Club's Offer Sheet (determined by dividing
such compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five),

Actually since it's a 7 years offer, only the first 5 years are used as the divider.

42 / 5 = 8+ = 4 1st rounders.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:49 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:

ONLY THE FIR... oops... Only the first 5 years are counted to figure out the compensation. for example, if weber was to receive somewhere in the range of ~50 million year one through year 5. you divide that total number by 5 and bam, there's your compensation. still, holmgren would have to be hittin' the bottle pretty hard again to give subban somewhere in that level of compensation (4 first)

Edit: beaten by that handsome gentleman up there ^

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:17 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
ONLY THE FIR... oops... Only the first 5 years are counted to figure out the compensation. for example, if weber was to receive somewhere in the range of ~50 million year one through year 5. you divide that total number by 5 and bam, there's your compensation. still, holmgren would have to be hittin' the bottle pretty hard again to give subban somewhere in that level of compensation (4 first)

Edit: beaten by that handsome gentleman up there ^

Thanks to you and the previous poster for clarifying that. I have never seen that 5 year divider referred to before.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:22 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Thanks to you and the previous poster for clarifying that. I have never seen that 5 year divider referred to before.
Understandable. It's not like this was discussed to death with the Weber offer sheet

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
How would you guys feel about PK if he would sign an offer sheet from another team in the East but mostly the Bruins or Flyers. What would you think about him and most importantly would you want him back on the team?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:02 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
How would you guys feel about PK if he would sign an offer sheet from another team in the East but mostly the Bruins or Flyers. What would you think about him and most importantly would you want him back on the team?
Absolutely not, but it's not like PK to pull a Komisarek so I'm not worried. PK's a Hab for life. (edit: I just read your username after I wrote that haha)

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Subban would, in most likelihood, reject most, if not all, offer sheets thrown his way.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Presenting as fact??

where are you reading this??

you're both taking my points as absolutes ( no they aren't fact ), when they're merely opinion of how to increase cap space, and what i feel may be the necessary route in clearing space.

if MTl has the gonads

then they sign subban, bury Gomez, and sign Doan.

if they don't

then Sign subban, keep Gomez, and welcome to last year.

MTL has $6,302,024 and that doesn't include Subban's new contract.

Injuries had nothing to do with last year... We totally have the exact same lineup as last year... We totally have the same coaching staff/management...

Welcome to this year

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote