HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NSH matches PHI offer sheet to Weber (14 years, $7.8M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 11:29 AM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yup, that's how teams that win are built these days. One piece at a time with lots and lots of home grown talent, then adding the few missing pieces via trade or UFA.

It's not done by chasing every big name UFA every off season, which appears to be the recipe that some teams are following.
Chasing UFAs are not our problem, it's all the trades for vets that have killed any farm we had...

Old
07-25-2012, 11:33 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
There will be a reckoning between the big teams and the small teams whether it's this CBA or the next, but it is coming.
Why? The rest of the major leagues haven't experienced this reckoning (in fact, revenue sharing is generally increasing, indicating the opposite). What makes hockey unique in this regard?

Old
07-25-2012, 11:37 AM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
What makes hockey unique in this regard?
It's a good sport.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:38 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Yup, that's how teams that win are built these days. One piece at a time with lots and lots of home grown talent, then adding the few missing pieces via trade or UFA.

It's not done by chasing every big name UFA every off season, which appears to be the recipe that some teams are following.
If you follow LA kings model, it's done by chasing, but losing out on every UFA.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Pretty sure this was as much for Weber about getting the big contract as any desire to leave Nashville. There is no way, no how Nashville would have offered this contract, but I can't help but think Weber knew Nashville would likely match and he would be theirs for 14 years. He had to be willing to stay in Nashville as much as he was willing to head off somewhere else.

I also think the CBA was in the back of his mind, because the easy thing would have been to sign a similar contract to his current one and head off as a UFA next summer.
Gillis said it in his recent interview, he spent 3 hours in Kelowna meeting with Weber. He had determined that Weber's priority was cashing in under the current CBA, this was far more important than location to him.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Pelle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
Holmgrens mistake was he brought a hammer to a pen fight. Fortunately Poile had the final draw. Holmgren should learn patience. Carter and Richards have cups now because of his impatiency and now with pronger gone, it makes those moves look dumb....besides cooter, hes a boss.
Reality check, there is no one on these boards that thought the Kings were going to win the cup this past season with maybe the exception of the Kings fans themselves so when Holmgren traded Richards there I'm sure that thought ever crossed his mind. And Carter wasn't traded to LA by Holmgren, he was traded to Columbus. It's hilarious the amount of hate by opposing fans towards Holmgren and the Flyers on this board. Nor did anyone expect Pronger to go down with a season-ending or possibly career-ending injury this past year. If Pronger is healthy, a Weber offer sheet isn't a thought. Despite what the majority of fans on here think, Holmgren is in the top 10 when it comes to GMs in the league. Some of his moves might not pan out but what GM doesn't have that, but he is one of the few GM in the league that has balls enough to try different things to improve his hockey club, I'm sure some Leaf fans aren't happy with Brian Burke with the fact he's done nothing this summer in the way of getting a number one centre and no JVR is not your answer for that position.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:40 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
That's great you believe that, but facts are stubborn things. The Preds lost money last year. That is after receiving revenue sharing from the NHL and subsidies from the city. The organization didn't fight off Balsillie; Bettman and the board stepped in a gave Leopold a sweet deal to buy the Wild if he didn't sell to Balsillie. Bettman won't be there forever to protect them and the other small market teams. There will be a reckoning between the big teams and the small teams whether it's this CBA or the next, but it is coming.
Sure, we'll go ahead and call opinions and wild speculation "facts".

Old
07-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
If you follow LA kings model, it's done by chasing, but losing out on every UFA.
This is actually kind of true. I think there has been rumors linking LA to every big name free agent, and every big name though to be available via trade. They didn't get the UFAs, so they paid the price to obtain pieces via trade.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:44 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Hossa to Chicago - Definitely wanted, be he saw more opportunity to win in Chicago and was right

Kovalchuk to NJ - Ownership wanted; GM DID NOT. All you have to do to figure this out is check the written accounts about Lombardi's interview with Kovalchuk where Lombardi showed him video of his own games and was questioning him on why he did certain things.

Richards to NYR - Long shot for the Kings. They were after him even after the Mike Richards trade. Had they got him they wouldn't have needed Carter, but it worked out.

LA has had interest in Doan this off season, but has been quiet otherwise.

So yes, they have chased two UFAs that they wanted over a six year time frame.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:45 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
Reality check, there is no one on these boards that thought the Kings were going to win the cup this past season with maybe the exception of the Kings fans themselves so when Holmgren traded Richards there I'm sure that thought ever crossed his mind. And Carter wasn't traded to LA by Holmgren, he was traded to Columbus. It's hilarious the amount of hate by opposing fans towards Holmgren and the Flyers on this board. Nor did anyone expect Pronger to go down with a season-ending or possibly career-ending injury this past year. If Pronger is healthy, a Weber offer sheet isn't a thought. Despite what the majority of fans on here think, Holmgren is in the top 10 when it comes to GMs in the league. Some of his moves might not pan out but what GM doesn't have that, but he is one of the few GM in the league that has balls enough to try different things to improve his hockey club, I'm sure some Leaf fans aren't happy with Brian Burke with the fact he's done nothing this summer in the way of getting a number one centre and no JVR is not your answer for that position.
Shrug, I thought the kings would win the pacific handily myself....I thought they would be a contender. I was shocked that they did as poor as they did...I mean look at their roster...they have no holes.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Not a Kings fan, but the Kings built rather deliberately through the draft, and went through some tough rebuild times, until they had the pieces to make the trades that they needed to make. They likely would have made an offer Nashville would have accepted rather than did what the Flyers did. Reportedly Weber was shopped, and if not strong armed I bet that he could have been had for the right offer. Philly was either unable because Philly did not have the parts to trade that LA had last year, or unwilling to part with what they had.

That is the difference and main area differentiates the two clubs.

In hindsight, I wonder if any Philly fans here, or Philly's organization, regrets not upping the offer. Move aside the poisoning the well with Nashville, and maybe some other clubs pissed at what Philly did. If upping the offer to include some of the reported pieces would have done it, do you all regret Philly not upping their offer?

Old
07-25-2012, 12:03 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Not a Kings fan, but the Kings built rather deliberately through the draft, and went through some tough rebuild times, until they had the pieces to make the trades that they needed to make. They likely would have made an offer Nashville would have accepted rather than did what the Flyers did. Reportedly Weber was shopped, and if not strong armed I bet that he could have been had for the right offer. Philly was either unable because Philly did not have the parts to trade that LA had last year, or unwilling to part with what they had.

That is the difference and main area differentiates the two clubs.

In hindsight, I wonder if any Philly fans here, or Philly's organization, regrets not upping the offer. Move aside the poisoning the well with Nashville, and maybe some other clubs pissed at what Philly did. If upping the offer to include some of the reported pieces would have done it, do you all regret Philly not upping their offer?
I don't regret it. Some flyer fans do. I would say the majority didn't want to upgrade the offer. Frankly, I'm tired of mortgaging tomorrow for today.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
ArGarBarGar
Doc Messier

Quote:

Which of those teams are doing so by choice, and not by necessity?

Old
07-25-2012, 12:20 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Which of those teams are doing so by choice, and not by necessity?
Honestly, I would say any west coast team is doing so almost out of necessity. Rarely do teams west of the Mississippi get a big name UFA unless there are some other desirable circumstances that are bringing the player to that area. For example, Hamhuis going to Vancouver to be near his Dad.

The Kings two big UFAs were Mitchell (a reclamation project after a serious concussion) and Scuderi (a shutdown defenseman that they overpaid to get). That's it. I am simply suggesting that the candy store might not be the best place to shop until you have picked up the meat and potatoes.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I don't know what crossed Homer's mind, but I think if you want to check reality, many pre-season prognosticators had the Kings as a cup contender.

They played well below their potential under Terry Murray.

The GM thing is a matter of taste, but I wouldn't put Homer in my Top 10.

Anyway, Nashville kept two of their big three which is better than many here thought they could do and they now control the future market for Shea Weber, if there ever is one.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:44 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Questions:

What is the date in 2013 that Nashville can deal Weber?

When date is the second installment of his bonus?

Old
07-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Questions:

What is the date in 2013 that Nashville can deal Weber?

When date is the second installment of his bonus?
we will have paid him the 2nd bonus b4 we can trade him. we have to pay him 27 mill b4 we can trade him.
Cant trade him till 1 full year after the offer sheet was matched.
2nd boni is july 1st I believe?

Old
07-25-2012, 12:48 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
we will have paid him the 2nd bonus b4 we can trade him. we have to pay him 27 mill b4 we can trade him.
This is why the Preds don't trade Weber unless or until they get a ridiculous offer from another team.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:52 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
All of this "concern" by some Flyer fans for Preds fans is nice, but in reality Flyer fans should be way more upset than Pred fans.

Weber just used the Flyers as leverage to get the exact deal he wanted.

The Flyers still need to find help on the back end and their blueline farm is barren...

Holmgren got impatient and essentially called Poile a liar and severed a relationship that had netted the team two of their best players. Saying it isn't a big deal is naive, because you never want to burn any bridges in the NHL unless it is absolutely necessary.

I suppose you can say Holmgren kept Weber away from teams like the Rangers, but Sather just moved on and got Nash.

In the end, anyone with a shred of common sense can see Flyer fans have more to be upset about than Pred fans.
The real concern should be the lack of a quality goaltender for 20 years and counting. The best lineup in the world can't save Bryz from ******** the bed.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
wow. now you might have a disgruntled player on your hands that you simply can't trade because of the rules before he makes $27M, and that even after a few yrs will be a tough trade to swallow because you will have paid him so much for 3,4,5 years.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
cyclones22

Quote:
Reality check, there is no one on these boards that thought the Kings were going to win the cup this past season with maybe the exception of the Kings fans themselves so when Holmgren traded Richards there I'm sure that thought ever crossed his mind.
After the Richards trade, quite a few on this board who were not Kings fans thought that made the Kings contenders. It's revisionist history to think otherwise. As a matter of fact, there were many posts saying "Call me when the Kings when something" in response to the hype the Kings were getting the preseason. Needless to say, their phones all rang on June 11th. Hell, I just watched the replay on NHL Network of the first game of the season festivities and both Marty Turco and Mike Modano were incredibly high on the Kings chances to win the Cup.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:58 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
wow. now you might have a disgruntled player on your hands that you simply can't trade because of the rules before he makes $27M, and that even after a few yrs will be a tough trade to swallow because you will have paid him so much for 3,4,5 years.
Weber might be disgruntled now, who really knows? Say he is though, he can choose to live the next several years of his life that way or make a decision to be happy (and it is a decision). It's not like Nashville is a terrible team or an awful place to live.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:03 PM
EvanOberg

Why do people keep saying he wants out of Nashville?? All I've seen is him signing an offer sheet. Means he liked the deal and didn't mind playing in Philly or Nashville. Signing the tender he knew there was still a giant chance that Nashville matches. You don't sign that without being ok with playing there. Does convincing yourself that Weber wanted out make you feel better about Nashville matching??

Old
07-25-2012, 01:12 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

David Poile just told the story about how when they made the decision to match they decided to let Shea know before the media found out. Trotz, living 25 minutes away from Weber, was tasked with going to Shea's gym to tell him the news. Weber had already left the gym, so Trotz texted him telling him that they needed to talk. Weber said, "We aren't supposed to talk during this period." Trotz convinced him of the importance. When Weber was told he said "Great! Where are you now?". Trotz told him that he was in downtown Kelowna. Weber invited him to his house where he and his fiancee were. When Trotz got there they called Poile together, and Weber expressed his excitement to return.

So maybe he isn't so pissed off after all...

Old
07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Reaper1097

For the life of me I still cannot wrap my mind around the fact that no preds fans are mad and/or upset that the weber deal was matched. I would love for a preds fan to explain to me how what weber did is ok with them?

The issue is that your captain (and best player) signed a contract with another team, it doesnt matter if he used the flyers as leverage or it was the only way to get the deal he really wanted from nashville or he was trying to get a lifetime deal before CBA expired. Regardless if he really wanted outta nashville or not. None of it matters. Whatever his reasonings, the bottom line is that he signed a deal with a different team as soon as he a chance, screwing the preds in the process.

I said it previous posts that I can almost gaurantee that if this was a flyer, ranger, penguin, canadien, leaf, or bruins player who compleletly shoved it up their team's behind that their message boards would be blowing up with how they should get the bum outta town if that is what he really wants.

How on earth is this ok with preds fans?

Why wouldnt 2-3 NHL level players and 2-3 1st rounds picks be a good return for a player who took every advantage he could with your franchise?

Please explain.

Closed Thread