HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
ESPN 8 the Ocho!
Awesome reference.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:23 AM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
Semin's pretty smart.

He knows no team is going to give him a huge, long-term Shea Weber-Style contract, so he keeps signing 1-year deals to maximize the $$$-value.

The guy's now picked up almost $20 million in 3 years of free agency.

Still, can't think of too many free agents I would rather the Oilers sign less than him.
He's smart because he signs the only offers he can get?! OK.

Dude is dumb if you ask me. Working from 1 year deal to the next is risky. In this game you're a shift away from a career limiting or ending injury.

I'm sure that the NHLPA has sat down with him in more than one occasion to advise him against this.

I'll be surprised if he isn't in the KHL within 2 years on a long term, big money deal.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:46 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post

Dude is dumb if you ask me. Working from 1 year deal to the next is risky. In this game you're a shift away from a career limiting or ending injury.

I'm sure that the NHLPA has sat down with him in more than one occasion to advise him against this.

I'll be surprised if he isn't in the KHL within 2 years on a long term, big money deal.
Semin, almost certainly has taken out a very expensive insurance, policy to guard against long term injury.

Old
07-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Gus Schmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post

The way he plays, he isn't likely to get hit. Let alone get hurt. "If you hit me I'm gonna slap you!"

Old
07-27-2012, 09:29 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If Semin was LW would you have considered signing him?

I still say no.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
If Semin was LW would you have considered signing him?

I still say no.
I wouldn't want that guy anywhere near Yakupov.

Old
07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I wouldn't want that guy anywhere near Yakupov.
Why? For all I've heard of Semin's alleged character flaws, being a bad teammate or negative influence isn't one of them.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Toydarian

I think the general opinion on Semin is overblown and exaggerated. I think his incredibly private and quite demeanor irritates media personnel who then interpret his reclusive personality as "not caring." Obviously he has his problems and some comments (such as former teammate) regarding Semin have been quite damning. Nevertheless, the guy produces offensively. I wouldn't want him on the Oilers but mostly because he is the last type of player the Oilers need.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:13 AM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Why? For all I've heard of Semin's alleged character flaws, being a bad teammate or negative influence isn't one of them.
Did you not see this?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373966

Quote:
"I think our locker room was maybe a little bit too nonchalant, and guys weren't disciplined the way they should have been," Bradely told TEAM 1200. "Those two things are big things. It wasn't that guys were going out the night before a game, but not being ready to practice or missing practice with questionable injuries and not being focused."

Bradley went on to cite Alexander Semin's lack of output in the post-season as part of the reason for the Capitals' failures the past few seasons, saying he has the potential to be the best player in the league but hasn't performed when it mattered.

"I don't mind saying Alexander Semin's name because he's one guy who has so much talent, he could easily be the best player in the league, and for whatever reason just doesn't care," Bradley said. "When you've got a guy like that you need him to be your best player, or one of your best players, and when he doesn't show up, you almost get the sense that he wants to be back in Russia. That's tough to win when you've got a guy like that who's supposed to be your best player not being your best player. Or one of your best players."

Old
07-27-2012, 10:30 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
I can't understand people defending Semin.

It's clear that not too many people want him. The only team he's ever played for in the NHL who have yet to replace him didn't even want him after a month of free agency.

The guy has played with some elite players over the years and has never had to be the 'guy' for WSH.

Like I said earlier, maybe some good old Canadian boys will help him out, but I don't even know if that's the case. He's own countryman and possibly the best Russian in the game couldn't get him going, so good like Staals.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:36 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

It's clear that not too many people want him. The only team he's ever played for in the NHL who have yet to replace him didn't even want him after a month of free agency.

The guy has played with some elite players over the years and has never had to be the 'guy' for WSH.

Like I said earlier, maybe some good old Canadian boys will help him out, but I don't even know if that's the case. He's own countryman and possibly the best Russian in the game couldn't get him going, so good like Staals.
Very few people in the world can do this:

Carolina is a better team with him on the roster.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
What makes this funny is that this was after the 2011 playoffs where Semin scored four goals and six points in 9 games? Bradley probably could have picked his spot better.

Old
07-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Very few people in the world can do this:

Carolina is a better team with him on the roster.
Yup. Guy is a shade below a PPG on his career, yet somehow he needs to take another step? Playing with a big centre like Staal squared that can open up some space is going to make him deadly.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:16 AM
speeds

Quote:

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...emin-arguments

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...f-performance/

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/6/28/...lexander-semin

http://www.anguscertified.com/alexan...he-10-percent/

http://theleafsnation.com/2012/7/9/t...lexander-semin

Old
07-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Asher

Quote:

Exactly. Probably half the teams in the league are staved for offense, and yet it still took this long for one of them to take a flyer on Semin. That's gotta to say a lot about the player... as in he's got other issues that make most teams nervous.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:29 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Exactly. Probably half the teams in the league are staved for offense, and yet it still took this long for one of them to take a flyer on Semin. That's gotta to say a lot about the player... as in he's got other issues that make most teams nervous.
His reported attitude problems would make me hesitant to sign him long term but a one year deal is fine.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think Matt Bradley's comments Are indicative of hIs character Moreso than Semin's. I'm sure every locker room has guys who feel other guys need to pick up the slack, but naming names is rare and probably goes against most players "code", (I assume a coach saying this would be more realistic).

Old
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
joestevens29

Enstrom signs extension. No details yet.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 945
I am amused when people post that the oilers window of winning is closing it has not opened yet and more over the window for us winning opens in 4 years and will last 6 years

Old
07-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Skm

Quote:
Enstrom signs extension. No details yet.
I have never understood these statements:

Quote:
As per club policy, terms of the extension were not disclosed.
Like a reporter is going to find out, it's going to be public, it's going to make it's way onto capgeek, etc. Who cares if it takes 30 mins for someone to report it or the team releases it themselves?

Old
07-27-2012, 12:58 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post

Like a reporter is going to find out, it's going to be public, it's going to make it's way onto capgeek, etc. Who cares if it takes 30 mins for someone to report it or the team releases it themselves?
Yep, always frustrated me. Was refreshing to see the Oilers, and some other teams, start announcing the salaries right away.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post

I always thought that maybe there was a legality behind it, but it's completely random in the NHL.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:00 PM
PaperDesigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Or there's widespread xenophobia and superstitious ideas amongst GMs about what constitutes an acceptable player.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDesigner View Post
Or there's widespread xenophobia and superstitious ideas amongst GMs about what constitutes an acceptable player.
bingo. But then anyone who acknowledges the term 'good old Canadian boy' as being a good descriptor will no doubt continue the charade of Canadian Supremacy.
Semin is a great player. He's also quiet. Just look at Pitkanen for a closer to home example. Who cares where he is from? The only reason Semin gets so much flak is because he is Russian and in North America we somehow associate Russia with evil.
We love to hate them but when questioned why, there is no valid excuse.

If Semin didn't struggle with the English language, this wouldn't be an issue.

Pitkanen is working fine in Carolina. Semin will too.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
bingo. But then anyone who acknowledges the term 'good old Canadian boy' as being a good descriptor will no doubt continue the charade of Canadian Supremacy.
Semin is a great player. He's also quiet. Just look at Pitkanen for a closer to home example. Who cares where he is from? The only reason Semin gets so much flak is because he is Russian and in North America we somehow associate Russia with evil.
We love to hate them but when questioned why, there is no valid excuse.

If Semin didn't struggle with the English language, this wouldn't be an issue.

Pitkanen is working fine in Carolina. Semin will too.
They aren't the same, though.

When teammates come out and say things like "we used to take bets on when he'd fake an injury to get out of practice", there's probably something more foul going on than "he's Russian".

Closed Thread