HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Bouwmeester is overrated and overpaid. On top of that I wouldn't want to help Calgary out by taking that cap hit off their roster as well as giving assets up to get him.

Just say No to Bo.
Bouwmeester was overrated when people thought he was a top 15 d-man. He seems underrated now to me considering how many people seem to think he sucks.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:55 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
As far as another top-4 defenseman it's not like you can just "go get" one like they grow on trees.
Klefbom will be here soon enough bud, just relax in the drivers seat and take it easy, you'll get what you want soon enough.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:56 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Bouwmeester was overrated when people thought he was a top 15 d-man. He seems underrated now to me considering how many people seem to think he sucks.
Pretty much this.

The guy plays soft, but he's a legit top pairing guy that can chips in offensively but more importantly plays against the other teams best players night in night out and plays those minutes rather well.

He has flaws in his game, but he's a massive upgrade to some of the guys we have and gets us closer to the playoffs without a doubt.

I'm not willing to give up a great piece to get him, but if the asking price is anywhere near what Stauffer has suggested, I'd do it all day.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:57 AM
ChefTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Pretty much this.

The guy plays soft, but he's a legit top pairing guy that can chips in offensively but more importantly plays against the other teams best players night in night out and plays those minutes rather well.

He has flaws in his game, but he's a massive upgrade to some of the guys we have and gets us closer to the playoffs without a doubt.

I'm not willing to give up a great piece to get him, but if the asking price is anywhere near what Stauffer has suggested, I'd do it all day.
What did Stauffer say the asking price may be?

Old
07-25-2012, 01:00 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
What did Stauffer say the asking price may be?
He suggested it might only take something along the lines of a 2nd round pick and a prospect like Teubert.

I don't see how that makes sense to the flames that seem to be desperately clinging to their veterans in hopes of one more magical run before their franchise implodes, but if true then I'm in.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:09 AM
BlueChip01

I would take Jay-Bo if the asking price was pretty small. You could probably get him to take a lower contract for sure when his is up (If he wanted to stay here).

He also would be far from the center of attention here which would benefit his personality I think.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:10 AM
alphahelix

If the Flames offered in the 4 1sts range, I would think long and hard about taking that for Benn... that might be some real sauce over the next 4 years. Tough call though.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:15 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
He suggested it might only take something along the lines of a 2nd round pick and a prospect like Teubert.

I don't see how that makes sense to the flames that seem to be desperately clinging to their veterans in hopes of one more magical run before their franchise implodes, but if true then I'm in.
I am not ok with giving Calgary Teubert. The last thing I want is for him to be hitting our big four 6 times a year. He had 68 hits(10th on our team) in 24 games for us last season when he wasn't even NHL ready. I'd prefer we try to go for Plante or if we must, one of Marincin or Gernat + 2nd for Bouwmeester. I like him in our top 4, even if he is almost 3M overpaid for 2 more years. But not at the price of a guy who could literally hurt us down the road.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:20 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I am not ok with giving Calgary Teubert. The last thing I want is for him to be hitting our big four 6 times a year. He had 68 hits(10th on our team) in 24 games for us last season when he wasn't even NHL ready. I'd prefer we try to go for Plante or if we must, one of Marincin or Gernat + 2nd for Bouwmeester. I like him in our top 4, even if he is almost 3M overpaid for 2 more years. But not at the price of a guy who could literally hurt us down the road.
Tend to agree, emphasis on prospect LIKE teubert, at least that type of quality.

I just don't see Calgary making that type of deal.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:36 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Bo blows.

You guys realize his points per 60 minutes at even strength last season looks like this on the Flames:

Babchuk 1.12
Giordano 0.83
Smith 0.64
Brodie 0.62
Butler 0.60
Bouwmeester 0.60

Comparison to the Oilers dmen from last season:

Petry 0.91
Sutton 0.79
Smid 0.64
Whitney 0.62
Potter 0.60

So at even strength this supposed top pairing dman was essentially 5th/6th best on the Flames offensively and Potter did just as much for the Oilers offensively last season... pretty sad if you ask me. Especially when you look at that huge price tag JayBo is carrying around.

Why do you think the Flames acquired Wideman and why they are trying to essentially dump JayBo now? It isn't because they have too many good dmen... I'll tell you that for sure.

Shorthanded Jaybo put up the worst relative +/- by far out of all the Calgary dmen that played 1+ minutes per game on the PK last season.

His defensive abilities and offensive abilities are both overrated and he's much too expensive. He plays big minutes and is mediocre in essentially every department while doing so.

It's a strong no from me in ANY deal for JayBo.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:37 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Tend to agree, emphasis on prospect LIKE teubert, at least that type of quality.

I just don't see Calgary making that type of deal.
You are probably right. So they can just keep paying him almost 7M and continue just missing the playoffs. I am cool with that too

Old
07-25-2012, 04:52 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Philadelphia and Detroit both need a top defenseman, both got shut-out on Suter and Weber.

I'm predicting Yandle to Philadelphia, Bouwmeester to Detroit by this time next year.

Last edited by SK13: 07-25-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old
07-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

IIRC, Flames cant OS Benn because they dont have their 2nd rounder. I doubt they'll give up 4 1sts. If it's only 1st and 3rd, Dallas easily matches.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
IIRC, Flames cant OS Benn because they dont have their 2nd rounder. I doubt they'll give up 4 1sts. If it's only 1st and 3rd, Dallas easily matches.
I think Calgary puts in an offer that is four 1sts without hesitation for Jaime Benn. They are operating like the Oilers from 07 - 09, more about big moves and statement signings than common sense and team building.

Personally, I think the real stumbling block would be actually getting Benn to sign an offersheet from Calgary, and whether shoving a ludacrous contract in front of him is enough to get him to consider life on a franchise that is just as disfunctional as Edmonton was a few years ago.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:21 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

The $54.2 million dollar question... how the hell does Phoenix reach the salary cap floor if they don't re-sign Doan?

They have 22 contracts signed now and are still $7.5 million under the cap.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:37 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
The $54.2 million dollar question... how the hell does Phoenix reach the salary cap floor if they don't re-sign Doan?

Horcoff for a 7th rounder is a real good start.

Old
07-25-2012, 07:53 AM
backhandsauce

If we did get Bo our transition game would be nuts. Teams woul have to back off with the speed we would come at them. Imagine Bo carrying it up the ice and springing Hall down the wing!

Old
07-25-2012, 08:19 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

The floor isn't going to be 54.2mil.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:33 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The floor isn't going to be 54.2mil.
Ya but even if salaries are rolled back lets say 10%... they are still going to be under the floor. The floor will drop and so will all salaries... same situation for them really.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:37 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Ya but even if salaries are rolled back lets say 10%... they are still going to be under the floor. The floor will drop and so will all salaries... same situation for them really.
I suspect we see a lower cap all together, regardless of rollback. Too many teams can't make money with how much they are spending to just get to the floor.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Mr Sakich

I wonder if Columbus and Edmonton could work out a deal which may improve both teams. The BJ's need some skill up front and we seem to have extra of that. We need size and defence and they seem to have extra of that.

The Nash trade seems to have given the BJ's more of what they have and has intensified the holes in their make-up.

Hemsky or Gagner plus a pick/prospect in exchange for

Dubinsky - meets our needs for a larger 2nd line centre, a contract the BJ's probably don't want
Erixson - NHL ready defence prospect with top 4 upside

This isn't exactly a revelation but it is the most likely deal we are going to make this summer. It allows Howson to save face with the Nash deal and may improve boith clubs

Old
07-25-2012, 08:49 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Well apparently the new cap structure that the NHL ownership is proposing is to have the cap floor just $4 million below the cap median and then the cap ceiling is $8 million above that cap median line.

That would effectively create a tighter spread of just $12 million from floor to ceiling instead of the current $16 million in place now. They seem to want to create more salary parity between teams.

Old
07-25-2012, 08:57 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I wonder if Columbus and Edmonton could work out a deal which may improve both teams. The BJ's need some skill up front and we seem to have extra of that. We need size and defence and they seem to have extra of that.

The Nash trade seems to have given the BJ's more of what they have and has intensified the holes in their make-up.

Dubinsky - meets our needs for a larger 2nd line centre, a contract the BJ's probably don't want

This isn't exactly a revelation but it is the most likely deal we are going to make this summer. It allows Howson to save face with the Nash deal and may improve boith clubs
I'd do Gagner for Dubinsky in a heartbeat... no idea why the BJ's would do that though.

Erixon I don't have as much interest in... I think there are enough dman prospects in the org already. Certainly if his cost were Hemsky I wouldn't do it. Omark + another expendable piece in the AHL for Erixon... probably yes, but it's not a high priority.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:01 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

I think the biggest issue in CBJ is they probably want to see what they have first. Richards was on Gregor's show and he was kinda talking about the possibilities that they are going to have. I wouldn't be shocked to see them shuffle some forwards after they see them play first.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:02 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well apparently the new cap structure that the NHL ownership is proposing is to have the cap floor just $4 million below the cap median and then the cap ceiling is $8 million above that cap median line.

That would effectively create a tighter spread of just $12 million from floor to ceiling instead of the current $16 million in place now. They seem to want to create more salary parity between teams.
Honestly I don't see how that's going to work. That wouldn't have a low floor that the small markets would want and as revenues rise that floor would have to rise just like it is now.

Closed Thread