HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The thing is that we just re-upped Sutton and Peckham. You dont add a Rozsival and waive one of these before the season even starts.

If Petry takes a step back, or Schultz struggles then you look for help on D. You dont assume the worst and keep adding bodies. If we are looking at worst case scenerios then D is hardly the worst area of concern. By this logic we should be looking for another offensive C since RNH could get hurt again or go in a slump next season. Another goalie would also help.
Potter or Peckham at some point will be on waivers this year. And no you don't waive them before the season starts. You see what they bring to TC and pre-season, if they haven't improved then oh well for them.

Actually yes, you assume the worse and add bodies. Assuming the best is what got us into 3 straight 1st overall picks.

And come on, comparing adding a top 4 stop guy to a #1 center

Old
07-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Potter or Peckham at some point will be on waivers this year. And no you don't waive them before the season starts. You see what they bring to TC and pre-season, if they haven't improved then oh well for them.

Actually yes, you assume the worse and add bodies. Assuming the best is what got us into 3 straight 1st overall picks.

And come on, comparing adding a top 4 stop guy to a #1 center
RNH is a skinny guy who got injured last season. Dont forget the lack of experience factor that people here like to bring up. Add in a possible sophomore slump and our effectiveness down the middle could be very weak.

We cant carry 8dmen on active roster so one of Potter or Pecks will have to be waived right away. Adding more waiver eligible bodies would make things even worse.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
RNH is a skinny guy who got injured last season. Dont forget the lack of experience factor that people here like to bring up. Add in a possible sophomore slump and our effectiveness down the middle could be very weak.

We cant carry 8dmen on active roster so one of Potter or Pecks will have to be waived right away. Adding more waiver eligible bodies would make things even worse.
Why can't we carry 8 d-men? I'd be shocked if we didn't to start the year.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why can't we carry 8 d-men? I'd be shocked if we didn't to start the year.
because it would mean Harikainen, Pajaarvi and Lander would all start in AHL. Could happen but hopefully not.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
because it would mean Harikainen, Pajaarvi and Lander would all start in AHL. Could happen but hopefully not.
That's where they should be. What did those 3 do last year that showed they earned a spot on this club? Take advantage of being able to send them to a development league while we can.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
shai04

Teams don't pickup waived players from one of the worst teams in the NHL. If they were not good enough to play defense in Edmonton, they are not good enough to play it anywhere.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
We have plenty of bodies. Infact too many that we will have to waive a Dman before the start of the season.
We don't exactly have an abundance of decent NHL defensemen. Or do you forget that we finished 29th last year?

Quote:
NHL game experience is overrated considering Petry played top pairing minutes last season and Schultz is suppose to be better then Gardiner.
Ever heard of an outlier?

Quote:
Lets say we add a Visnovsky or a Rozsival.. What do you do if Whitney gets back to his pre-injury self? Play Smid and Petry on the 3rd pairing? That will go well when it comes to resigning them next season.
Yeah yr right, probably best to leave some spots open for mediocre or average d-men. Seriously, what's wrong with building in some depth?

Old
07-26-2012, 11:57 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shai04 View Post
Teams don't pickup waived players from one of the worst teams in the NHL. If they were not good enough to play defense in Edmonton, they are not good enough to play it anywhere.
Then they go to OKC

Old
07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
hodge7

Quote:
I think that your thought is pretty realistic, but didn't STL pick up Chorney last year?

Old
07-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Most here wanted us to get a top 4 Dman so one of Smid,Petry,N.Schultz and Whitney can get bumped down to 3rd pairing. Then we landed J.Schultz.
IMO we have enough top4 Dmen in the system and just need to wait it out. Did we really trade Gilbert for a bottom pairing D? If J.Schultz is as good as Gardiner then getting a top 4 Dman is not a priority.
I agree, patience is the key. Year after this we can easily make the playoffs when you look at what we will be adding to our lineup and where the rest of the gang is. The only Dman we are still missing is a heavy hitting shutdown d.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge7 View Post
I think that your thought is pretty realistic, but didn't STL pick up Chorney last year?
We also lost Brule to the Coyotes via re-entry waivers back in January.

So it does happen on occasion. Not very often, but not never either.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:46 PM
shai04

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge7 View Post
And he never played, and ended up where?

If the player is not good enough to be on our team, who cares if he gets taken. Peckham, Potter etc would not play in the top 7 of a good team.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Skm

Trying to understand these "we should keep our defense as is because we have a lot of bodies" posts is hurting my head.

Bring in a better player and if that means that Potter or Peckham play in OKC or get waived/claimed then who cares...it means that we're a better team than we were last year.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:19 PM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Trying to understand these "we should keep our defense as is because we have a lot of bodies" posts is hurting my head.

Bring in a better player and if that means that Potter or Peckham play in OKC or get waived/claimed then who cares...it means that we're a better team than we were last year.
Bringing in players who are better doesn't always work. I felt like management gave up on Jan Hejda and Matt Greene too early. If we didn't trade them away then they would be in our line-up today and we wouldn't have to be looking for better bodies.

Boumeester will get the same treatment as Barker did after one year by Edmonton fans. Yes Boumeester is better than Barker, but the minute he loses the puck to avoid a hit is the minute that ALL Edmonton fans will jump off the Bou-Bus.

We drafted and traded for our D for a reason, they need a chance to prove themselves.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post

it is not about too many bodies but about unknown commodities in J.Schultz, Whitney, Petry and even N.Schultz. The defense is not "as is" with addition of Schultz. This kid could make Petry expendable in less then a year. Or he could spend half the season in PB.
Lets just wait and see what we have before crying for more top4 Dmen.
IMO none of (healthy)Whitney, Smid, Petry, Nick and Justin should be playing bottom pairing.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
so no one would take a chance on Peckham is he gets waived? Sorry but I dont buy it.

Teams also dont waive players who they just re-sign (Sutton&Peckham)

Old
07-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
We don't exactly have an abundance of decent NHL defensemen. Or do you forget that we finished 29th last year?

Ever heard of an outlier?

Yeah yr right, probably best to leave some spots open for mediocre or average d-men. Seriously, what's wrong with building in some depth?
We dont have top end Dmen but IMO we have 5 good 2nd pairing Dmen.
Sutton is also decent for a #6 Dman playing 50-60games.

I know we could use another Dman to bump Whitney down to 3rd pairing making Sutton a #7 but there is no harm in waiting til Dec\Jan before making such a move.

We should also see how our depth Dmen play in the TC\preseason if there is one.. We might get a pleasant surprise from one of Peckham, Teubert, Fedun, Plante or even Marincin.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
We dont have top end Dmen but IMO we have 5 good 2nd pairing Dmen.
Sutton is also decent for a #6 Dman playing 50-60games.

I know we could use another Dman to bump Whitney down to 3rd pairing making Sutton a #7 but there is no harm in waiting til Dec\Jan before making such a move.
I agree, assuming the season doesn't start until then. Really, why wait?

Quote:
We should also see how our depth Dmen play in the TC\preseason if there is one.. We might get a pleasant surprise from one of Peckham, Teubert, Fedun, Plante or even Marincin.
I guess I just don't see an abundance of good d-men as a problem. What exactly is the harm?

Old
07-26-2012, 02:02 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I agree, assuming the season doesn't start until then. Really, why wait?

I guess I just don't see an abundance of good d-men as a problem. What exactly is the harm?
Having an abundance of good d-men is a good thing for sure,

But...

You seriously don't see the harm in trading for J-Bo at 6.8 million for 2 years?

Old
07-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Crobby

Semin to Carolina

...didnt expect that

EDIT: 7 mill for 1 year. Wow

Old
07-26-2012, 02:32 PM
joestevens29

So CAR going all in this year or what the heck?

Old
07-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Hairball

$7million seems high to me.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Hemsky4PM

Semin's definitely overpaid, but if he scores 40 goals playing with Staal and Staal...pretty reasonable. Nash is making 7.8M. Lecavalier's average is about the same. Semin's probably a 5.5-6M player for what he brings, but it's a weak free agent market, so players get money. He got absolutely no term though.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Calgary McOilers

vCash: 2747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
$7million seems high to me.
That's a crazy amount. And here I thought he was going to sign for a discount from last season's rate (was guessing $5M or less).

Old
07-26-2012, 03:04 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Semin's definitely overpaid, but if he scores 40 goals playing with Staal and Staal...pretty reasonable. Nash is making 7.8M. Lecavalier's average is about the same. Semin's probably a 5.5-6M player for what he brings, but it's a weak free agent market, so players get money. He got absolutely no term though.
It's not like he had scrubs in WSH though. Maybe he needs some good old Canadian boys to get him going. I don't know.

Closed Thread