HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago Sports Thread Part XI: The Rios Walkoff, Kustok Last-Night-Pied Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2012, 11:55 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
They were saying mid-August, I heard he had a set back last week, though.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:58 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
They were saying mid-August, I heard he had a set back last week, though.
Ouch. Could be a problem.

Could see Quintana and Sale switch off in September.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

I think this deal has plenty to do with Kenny knowing he's done for the year.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:06 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
I think this deal has plenty to do with Kenny knowing he's done for the year.
Well Peavy, Floyd, Liriano, Humber and then Sale/Quintana would be the flip.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:11 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
I really wouldn't be surprised to see them go 6 man. Would be the best thing for Sale, who's losing velocity, and Quintana.
sale isn't just losing velocity, he's lost ~6mph on his fastball since may. He was still okay yesterday after that rough first though.

That said, I'm not a fan of liriano.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:14 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
As ecstatic as I am for this deal, this is about as official as a "Danks is out for the year" announcement can get. From what I understand, the rotation would now look like this, in no particular order:

Sale
Quintana
Liriano
Peavy
Humber
Floyd

My guess is they start to flip Quintana and Sale as they are the youngest and Sale might be fatigued.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:25 AM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Told you Cubs fans that Kenny Williams would get a starter.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:32 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

I was making a blockbuster in a GM game, watching Post Game Live when I heard the news. At first my reaction was, "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG WE GOT LIRIANO, SP PROBLEM SOLVED." Then reality hit me in the face. "****, we're losing Danks for the year."

Old
07-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Panzerspitze

Jason Grilli is closing games for Pittsburgh?

Old
07-29-2012, 12:49 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

No idea who that is, so I'll take your word for it, I guess?

Old
07-29-2012, 12:54 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerspitze View Post
Jason Grilli is closing games for Pittsburgh?
No. Hanrahan is their closer, and has been one of the best closers in baseball the last 2 years, and notched 40 saves last year.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:56 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelugasandBHawks View Post
No idea who that is, so I'll take your word for it, I guess?
Haha. Such a youngin (not making fun of you at all, at your age you shouldn't remember him)

Was one of the Sox biggest prospects around 04-05, I think.

Like most prospects, didn't pan out.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:05 AM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
Haha. Such a youngin (not making fun of you at all, at your age you shouldn't remember him)

Was one of the Sox biggest prospects around 04-05, I think.

Like most prospects, didn't pan out.
Think he may have been a Rule 5 pickup for us before 2004. Unfortunately, I had the honor of watching him get bombed against the Royals in KC near the end of that season.

Seriously though, I wish Stan Bowman subscribed to the Kenny Williams M.O.. Now yes, not all of his moves have worked out, but he's never been afraid to go for it.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:12 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Pretty weird to see the Sox dealing with Minny. Almost safe to say the rivalry is officially dead.

The life of a Sox fan. Always in it. Never on top of it. 90s with Cleveland, 2000 with Minnesota. Gonna be real depressing if the 10s are the same thing being dominated by Detroit.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:13 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksRule7 View Post
Think he may have been a Rule 5 pickup for us before 2004. Unfortunately, I had the honor of watching him get bombed against the Royals in KC near the end of that season.

Seriously though, I wish Stan Bowman subscribed to the Kenny Williams M.O.. Now yes, not all of his moves have worked out, but he's never been afraid to go for it.
as KW has shown, you don't build sustained success by throwing **** at the wall and hoping something sticks. The sox are in dire straights and have a team capable of competing(but really not contending) for MAYBE the next 3 seasons. After that, their system is depleted and they'll likely find themselves hoping to finish third in the central.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:17 AM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
as KW has shown, you don't build sustained success by throwing **** at the wall and hoping something sticks. The sox are in dire straights and have a team capable of competing(but really not contending) for MAYBE the next 3 seasons. After that, their system is depleted and they'll likely find themselves hoping to finish third in the central.
And who's to say there won't be players that emerge in the system over those three years? Or what about signings and trades? You know none of that for certain unless you have Miss Cleo's cards or a crystal ball or something.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:19 AM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
Pretty weird to see the Sox dealing with Minny. Almost safe to say the rivalry is officially dead.

The life of a Sox fan. Always in it. Never on top of it. 90s with Cleveland, 2000 with Minnesota. Gonna be real depressing if the 10s are the same thing being dominated by Detroit.
Yet the Sox are the only team out of the bunch with a WS title over that time...

Old
07-29-2012, 01:23 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
And who's to say there won't be players that emerge in the system over those three years? Or what about signings and trades? You know none of that for certain unless you have Miss Cleo's cards or a crystal ball or something.
because kenny's moves have largely failed since 2k6 and we have no prospects left right now to get an impact player. I'm as huge a sox fan as anyone, but their above average season so far isn't indicative of a turnaround so much as it is their guys are actually playing to their potential. KW shoulda been leading Ozzie out the door as far as i'm concerned.

And for all the love you have for KW for making moves, you have to realize, this is the same guy who wouldn't move gavin floyd and beckham for fielder 2 years ago.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:28 AM
RayP

Quote:
You know I'm not a Sox fan, but if you can make the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen. I wouldn't go as far to say they can't contend for a WS if they made the playoffs. I will say that the Angels have to be the favorites, but anything can happen come October. Hell, the Cardinals needed a miracle just to make the playoffs last year, and won the whole damn thing.

However, if they don't win the division, I don't see them getting a WC.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:30 AM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
because kenny's moves have largely failed since 2k6 and we have no prospects left right now to get an impact player. I'm as huge a sox fan as anyone, but their above average season so far isn't indicative of a turnaround so much as it is their guys are actually playing to their potential. KW shoulda been leading Ozzie out the door as far as i'm concerned.
What prospects that Kenny has traded have actually become impact guys? I can think of one right now - Gio Gonzalez. Prospects are just that. Most of the time they don't pan out in baseball. Yes, it's nice to have them to deal for guys like Greinke, but that was my point in referencing Stan Bowman really. The Hawks have the prospects right now, along with a pretty young core at the NHL level. Instead of hording those prospects, it'd be nice to see him use a couple of those assets to benefit the team now.

Don't want to send this thread into a Bowman discussion, but anyway, impact prospects or no, the move for Youkilis has been pretty dang season-changing, and a Liriano-Don Cooper match could do the same pitching-wise.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:32 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
You know I'm not a Sox fan, but if you can make the playoffs, ANYTHING can happen. I wouldn't go as far to say they can't contend for a WS if they made the playoffs. I will say that the Angels have to be the favorites, but anything can happen come October. Hell, the Cardinals needed a miracle just to make the playoffs last year, and won the whole damn thing.

However, if they don't win the division, I don't see them getting a WC.
while true, you have to realize, two of the guys buoying the sox pitching staff(sale and quintana) are both young and not used to the kind of workload of a starter in the mlb. Sale's fastball was down ~6mph yesterday compared to may. On top of that, their BP is also super young.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:34 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
What prospects that Kenny has traded have actually become impact guys? I can think of one right now - Gio Gonzalez. Prospects are just that. Most of the time they don't pan out in baseball. Yes, it's nice to have them to deal for guys like Greinke, but that was my point in referencing Stan Bowman really. The Hawks have the prospects right now, along with a pretty young core at the NHL level. Instead of hording those prospects, it'd be nice to see him use a couple of those assets to benefit the team now.

Don't want to send this thread into a Bowman discussion, but anyway, impact prospects or no, the move for Youkilis has been pretty dang season-changing, and a Liriano-Don Cooper match could do the same pitching-wise.
I'm not talking about having prospects that can develop into major league players, i'm talking about having prospects other teams would be interested in.

In any case, we're not ripe with either.

Old
07-29-2012, 01:35 AM
RayP

Quote:
while true, you have to realize, two of the guys buoying the sox pitching staff(sale and quintana) are both young and not used to the kind of workload of a starter in the mlb. Sale's fastball was down ~6mph yesterday compared to may. On top of that, their BP is also super young.
Any chance that's in part to a dead arm phase because of the brief bullpen BS they put him through?

Old
07-29-2012, 01:40 AM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Quote:
I'm not talking about having prospects that can develop into major league players, i'm talking about having prospects other teams would be interested in.

In any case, we're not ripe with either.
Okay, I'll let you stew in doom-and-gloom over how bad we'll be in 4 years. I'd be excited about this current team though. Yeah, they may end up coming up short in the end to Detroit, but I already feel better about things seeing them come right back to take the division lead after being swept in Detroit. Those teams under Ozzie the last few years would have never recovered after that at this point in the season. And this isn't last season's Detroit team that had the MVP/Cy, perfect closer, great year from Jhonny Peralta, etc...

Old
07-29-2012, 01:41 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Any chance that's in part to a dead arm phase because of the brief bullpen BS they put him through?
I hope, but his K rate is way down the past ~8 weeks and that BP **** was late may IRC.

Closed Thread