Notices

Thank God It's Over (The Official Offseason Talk Thread) III

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 02:30 PM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

vCash: 500
Interesting read on Parise, Mitchell, and Konopka.

Quote:
Even-strength grade relates how well a player plays at even-strength. The higher the grade, the better a player played. This calculation is a measurement of how many successful plays a player makes in relation to all of the plays they engaged in. Grades also take into account goals, assists, traditional plus/minus, and shots on goal.

Three of the free-agents shown here produced above-average grades. They were Zach Parise, Torrey Mitchell, and Zenon Konopka.
http://www.boucherscouting.com/2012/...g-reports.html

Old
08-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1200
The Mitchell and Konopka acquisitions really were outshined by Parise & Suter, but I'm excited to see their impact. If all goes well, Konopka should really improve our face-off win percentage, and Mitchell should really add some speed and forechecking to our bottom-six.

I have a feeling the entire team will benefit a lot more than we expect because of these moves.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:27 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
The Mitchell and Konopka acquisitions really were outshined by Parise & Suter, but I'm excited to see their impact. If all goes well, Konopka should really improve our face-off win percentage, and Mitchell should really add some speed and forechecking to our bottom-six.

I have a feeling the entire team will benefit a lot more than we expect because of these moves.
I like the Konopka signing, but I'm not counting on his faceoffs until we see how he adapts to the new rules regarding them.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:00 PM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

I dont know if that guys analysis is any good but as a Wild fan i like him.

Now im reading his one game scoutings for our prospects, what ive read this far Brodin and Dumba get superstar grades and Phillips also very good ones.

Old
08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Dowell will wear #18.

Old
08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Dowell will wear #18.
Colton Gillies' number?

Old
08-23-2012, 08:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Coyle is representing the Wild rookies at the NHLPA Rookie showcase. Guessing Granlund is still going to be in Finland or else let speculation fly.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
08-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Colton Gillies' number?

Or Cam Stewart, Richard Park, Mattias Weinhandl, Adam Hall...

Old
08-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Or Cam Stewart, Richard Park, Mattias Weinhandl, Adam Hall...

Old
08-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1200
Setting the bar high... Jake Dowell.

Old
08-23-2012, 09:50 PM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Coyle is representing the Wild rookies at the NHLPA Rookie showcase. Guessing Granlund is still going to be in Finland or else let speculation fly.
Parise-Koivu-Setoguchi

Heatley-Granlund-Coyle

Speculated.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:43 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
Parise-Koivu-Setoguchi

Heatley-Granlund-Coyle

Speculated.
It would be fantastic if Coyle could slot on that 2nd line. But I'm not sure he's ready. And then we would have to figure out what to do with Bouchard and his contract.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:25 PM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
It would be fantastic if Coyle could slot on that 2nd line. But I'm not sure he's ready. And then we would have to figure out what to do with Bouchard and his contract.
He is more ready than Huberdeau and he is playing, same goes for Larsson.

Im all for not rushing, Granlund needed it, but those that are physically and mentally ready could translate their game very fast.

But i think they will all play in the AHL, no NHL season at all.

Old
08-24-2012, 03:25 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
It's easy. Trade him. Why keep waiting with baited breath after every nudge and jostle to see if he's ok? I'm sure we could get another top 4 d man for him.

Old
08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpuppysyndrome View Post
It's easy. Trade him. Why keep waiting with baited breath after every nudge and jostle to see if he's ok? I'm sure we could get another top 4 d man for him.
Who would give up a top-4 D-man that has gone through 3 "could be career ending" concussions in the last 3 years? Butch has the talent, but he's been "one hit away" for a few too many bad hits.

Remember, for every Patrice Bergeron, there's another 3-4 Peter Mueller's and PMB's.

I'd love an example of what could - even remotely - be considered a reasonable trade that gives up Butch and gives us someone who actually belongs in our top-4.

Old
08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Peter Mueller is probably the best example of Bouchard's trade value. Colorado didn't even tender him an offer, and couldn't find anyone to trade anything for his RFA rights. They literally could not get a conditional 7th for him. At that point, teams could have had him at around $2MM for a year. How does anyone think we could get anything for him on a $4MM contract?

Old
08-25-2012, 04:54 PM
DANOZ28

i feel pmb has no real trade value, however a team w cap space like OTT could take his 4.1 mill contract (last yr) and offer us a conditional 3rd rndr if he scores 10G and bump that upto a 2nd if he scores 15G. back to the cba, in the news only no post thread someone quoted a forbes article saying in 2008 12 teams were "supposedly" losing money & now its upto 18! IF thats true you guys still dont think the nhl business model is broken?

Old
08-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
i feel pmb has no real trade value, however a team w cap space like OTT could take his 4.1 mill contract (last yr) and offer us a conditional 3rd rndr if he scores 10G and bump that upto a 2nd if he scores 15G. back to the cba, in the news only no post thread someone quoted a forbes article saying in 2008 12 teams were "supposedly" losing money & now its upto 18! IF thats true you guys still dont think the nhl business model is broken?
And yet the NHL is making record profits....

I'm really not buying a single damn second of the "poor me" crap from the owners. I have an extremely hard time believing that owners actually need revenue ratios to go anywhere near extreme as their initial offer implies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the initial offer from the NHLPA also cover a change in the ratio, benefiting owners? And that wasn't good enough?

It's clearly an issue of the obscenely rich getting richer and the average Joe getting the shaft.

Old
08-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
And yet the NHL is making record profits....

I'm really not buying a single damn second of the "poor me" crap from the owners. I have an extremely hard time believing that owners actually need revenue ratios to go anywhere near extreme as their initial offer implies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the initial offer from the NHLPA also cover a change in the ratio, benefiting owners? And that wasn't good enough?

It's clearly an issue of the obscenely rich getting richer and the average Joe getting the shaft.
Profits... player salaries... terrible indicators.

#1 If I owned a hockey team, and my books showed I was making a large profit (or any profit really) I'd fire my accountants. Every sports franchise cooks their books because it's impossible to track and it's stupid not to.

#2 A better indicator is franchise value. These owners when they sell their teams are making a killing. That's how you can tell the league is strong. These owners love to claim poor because it allows them to keep even greater revenues by limiting salary at the same time absolving them of all blame for not fielding a winner. (IE when a cap-floor team loses to a cap ceiling team, that's immediately the reason)

This is a money grab by the owners, because they know we all love hockey too much to stay away after the lockout. We'll all talk tough... and maybe we'll stay away for a few months... but the owners know we'll be back... and they also know that most players to want to play in europe.

Old
08-25-2012, 06:14 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i don't think you have any idea how many audits there are for a major sports franchise, performed for the benefit (paid by) several different interested parties. it wouldn't be worth it to try to cook the book in any way that was technically illegal. loopholes are where it's at.

Old
08-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i don't think you have any idea how many audits there are for a major sports franchise, performed for the benefit (paid by) several different interested parties. it wouldn't be worth it to try to cook the book in any way that was technically illegal. loopholes are where it's at.
Yeah I definitely mis-phrased that. Personally I look at technically legal, and illegal books the same way. They're both intended to misrepresent a team's finances.

But again, If my books showed I was turning a major profit, I'd fire my accountants.

Old
08-25-2012, 06:36 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
Yeah I definitely mis-phrased that. Personally I look at technically legal, and illegal books the same way. They're both intended to misrepresent a team's finances.

But again, If my books showed I was turning a major profit, I'd fire my accountants.
Unless you're running a corporation that has to satisfy shareholders... they WANT to show profit, as that drives up stock price.

Old
08-25-2012, 06:45 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:

you also have to have a good profitable set of books on hand to show investors (and potential investors) or get approval for a state loan to upgrade your facility...well you don't have to, but it would help. The trick is to be careful how you word things when you're making statements. Be vague and diffuse, and use words like "we"...it could mean all of your holdings or refer to certain ones. Maybe the Wild turned a profit but the X didn't book enough big acts and they lost money that way...stuff like that.

Old
08-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

Quote:
If I owned a hockey team, and my books showed I was making a large profit (or any profit really) I'd fire my accountants.
How I understand it is that when the books are cooked in sports accounting, the opposite is true. They way they accomplish this is with the other companies they do business with, such as how the Wild do business with the company that does all the vending at games and such. The money exchange is such that that the team makes no profit from the venture, that way all that profit is free for the side company to make.

This method of book cooking is used in the movie business too, which is how some of the better grossing movies of the last decade or so have "lost" money.

Old
08-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 2013
GMCF is talking to Sid Hartman at the Fair right now. I'm sure Fletch is fascinated by all of Sid's nuggets of wisdom on hockey.

Closed Thread