HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Success

Old
07-25-2012, 08:40 AM
BenchedGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's successful already if you think they're going more Alex Anthropolous and less Paul Holmgren, but generally it's frustrating to think the Leafs are still nowhere close to respectability with so many random bodies barely resembling a coherent team.
This.

With Burke not overspending on free agents this year. A decent draft. And a trade from our strength to a point of weakness (Schenn - JVR). You have to consider it a success to this point, still time left in the off-season though to screw it up or strengthen.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Ricky Bobby

A successful summer as we've addressed two major areas of concern:

-Acquiring a big body forward with 60+ point potential. If he ends up playing center awesome but if not he still addresses a major area of concern

-Acquiring a top penalty killer forward. Toronto had more issues keeping the puck out of their net and PK was a big reason for this

Burke also didn't trade away any of our draft picks and used them to take the best player available. I really like the Rielly pick cause Burke went with the homerun factor prospect and not the safe pick.

I'd never call it a great summer but I don't think it was ever going to be. Toronto simply has too many holes in their roster with not enough assets to realistically expect all of the holes to be filled in one off-season. I still think another goaltending option needs to be brought in though. A number one center probably won't be able to get addressed till next off-season.

Regardless of if the Leafs are in a playoffs spot by the deadline, Burke really needs to maximize the value he can get on are pending UFAs who are replaceable (so minus Lupul whose a core piece). I'd like to see Burke be able to do what Yzerman was able to do this past season when he traded Moore, Kubina and Downie for picks. Then used some of those picks to address his goaltending (Lindback), had cap space to address his blueline (Carle, Salo, Lee) and added lots of prospects with the picks he didn't trade away.

I hope Burke trades all of Connolly, Bozak, Lombardi, CMac and Steckel throughout the season for the highest possible return.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Maj. Conn Smythe

This off season has been good for the Leafs thus far. The management team has not gone out and spent free agent dollars on stop gap players like Connolly or Komisarek in the past.

The Leafs picked up future pieces in the draft where they have in the past traded away these picks for immediate help. The fact Brian Burke and Company are standing pat for the most part is a success.

There are only a few key pieces that could bolster the roster. A defenseman like Mike Weaver from Florida with a good cap hit and veteran presence would be an excellent acquisition to help this team on defense. The Leafs still have options to move defenders for bottom six role players or use package deals for top six players that can play the Carlyle system.

I like the fact Burke has not done much with the goaltending as James Reimer will most likely have a bounce back year. However, Burke should look at a veteran stop gap to help Reimer rather than grabbing a long-term goalie like Luongo. James Reimer is the future, the Leafs just need another veteran to help Reimer out during tough times and/or injury.

Depending on where the Leafs sit at the trade deadline this upcoming season this will be when Burke can maximize the assets by trading away players that are UFA or do not fit into the Carlyle system. Right now, the only two items Burke should focus on is a veteran defender to help out the current defense core and a 1B veteran goalie. The Leafs have scoring ability, it is the defense that is the problem and new blood is in order to help out the team moving forward.

The drafted players in Reilly, Finn, Percy, etc will eventually fill in the holes in 2-3 years time when the veteran acquisitions from the past or present are no longer with the Leafs.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:41 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
We didn't make the playoffs due to lack of defense/goaltending. Most people's trade ideas still involve us getting a #1 center (although our defense and GA should go down under Carlyle we hope).
I think it is probable that people don't always understand how a top centerman improves a team's defense.

A top liner should be considered a top liner because he plays the entire ice and not just the offensive zone.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Jerkini

I think this off season has been a success already.

1. We turned a stagnant stay-at-home dman into a fairly high potential forward.
2. We haven't been burdened with terrible contracts like in years past (Komisarek, Armstrong). We're positioned to have a metric crap-ton of cap space in what's appearing to be one of the greatest free agent crops in a very long time.
3. It doesn't look like he plans to overpay for a goaltender.

It's slightly disappointing to be left out of the big boys table with all the massive signings and trade(s), but sometimes slow and steady wins the race. I'm happy.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:03 AM
I Believe

I LOVED our draft, I thought the JVR trade was great. Just solidify goaltending and i'm happy. Would love Bernier on this team or even Luongo if he comes decently cheap.

I Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Pyromaniac3

1. Veteran goalie
2. Top 4 shutdown defenceman
3. Bottom 6 tough players

Pyromaniac3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Leafidelity
A New Era

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
He's not really an overly new dimension to the team. Dave Steckel 2.0. Good PK guy, good on face offs etc.
McClement is as comparable to Steckel as Manny Malhotra.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:42 AM
mix1home

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses91 View Post
successfull offseason for me would be keeping grabo and kadri.
that schenn trade has my ass so scared i joined a forum.
lol. Poster, please write more...

I think we stayed the course and added some more pieces. Holtzer based on his play in AHL last season is more than capable of substituting Schenn. I will even argue he is better in every single aspect of his game by now (strong, has reach, using his body, dont lose his position, gets puck out of the zone, sees the ice and has at least some offensive game).
If JVR at center has any success at all, we are set for 1st line, our second line has some options and could be again the best second line in hockey. Third line has a lot of options too.

If anything we need kind of quantity for quality trade as we have too many wingers and bottom 6 centers. Than kind of trade would be fantastic.

Also many here are uneasy on G situation, but I think it's relatively easy to sign veteran backup goalie for Remier as the worst case scenario.

Dont' worry, be happy.

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Doddzy
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
What is the minimum that Leafs management would have to do for you to consider this offseason a success?

Personally, I would say at the very least they have to fix the situation in the cage by either getting Luongo or Bernier. If they can do that along with the acquisition of James van Reimsdyk I would consider the offseason a success.
In order for the off season to be considered successful, B.B must assemble a squad that will complement Randy Carlyle's style. Although it would be nice to obtain a quality #1G, a couple more big bodies, ala Jamie Ben, Bryan Bickell or a work horse like Cal Clutterbuck. There most desperate need is to remove the glass figurines who don't fit Carlye's system, Tim Connolly & Tyler Bozak. Lombardi would be next on that list. Next you need to remove the lowest I.Q on the team, Michael Komisarek & Jay Rosehill. Now you can look towards the Marlies to see who's ready, Matt Frattin would top that list along with Korbinian Holzer. Now we can start plugging holes. Jamie Benn would plug a big hole, would B.B be able to pull this one out. Would Newy take Tyler Bozak, Michael Komisarek and Clarke MacArthur? With Niklas Backstrom and Cal Clutterbuck heading towards RFA next year would the Wild be prepared to take a few prospects and a taugh guy to ease their CAP, Joe Colborne, Jerry D'Amigo and Jay Rosehill... Perhaps they'd be happy with the kids. After all they are the next team USA. The Leafs would resemble a tough team to beat under Carlye.

Jamie Ben, JVR, Kessel
Lupul, Grabo, Kulemin
Frattin, Kadri/Lombardi, Cal Clutterbuck
Bickel, McClement, Brown

Dion,Carl Gunnarsson
Gardner/Franson
Lies/Holzer

Niklas Backstrom
Reimer

CAP SPACE 4M

Doddzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:28 PM
mix1home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think it is probable that people don't always understand how a top centerman improves a team's defense.

A top liner should be considered a top liner because he plays the entire ice and not just the offensive zone.
100% agree. Dont we want 1C to play against Crosbys and Richards of the world and dont allow them to score and just might be score on them some?

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:45 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
This thread won't be pretty. I'm content with the offseason for now. Rielly, Finn and JVR is a great start, but it won't be good enough for the Negative Nancy's or NHL 12 fanboys.
Or the armchair GMs, and self-proclaimed "realists" like Disgruntled Observer who think trading ten 1st round picks for Gomez is equivalent/comparable to trading two 1st round picks for Kessel.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
jboknows

Man oh man, the leafs needed some work this offseason. They've done a decent job thus far, but more needs to be done.

1) acquire a top-6 forward who's not easily pushed around: Gr. B. Picked up a promising player with the size to be a dominant player. Not the centre that we were looking for (likely), but having a big winger on a line with Grabovski will only be a good thing.

2) acquire a rock-solid defensive defenceman: Gr. D. Gave up a player I still believe will be that rock-solid d-man in the future to help the top-6. However, this might be filled internally with Holzer, or Komi coming back to form. In addition, wiht a new, more defensive approach to our style of play, picking up that d-man may not be as necessary as we thought.

3) fix the penalty kill: Gr. B. Good pickup in mcclement.

4) good draft: Gr. B+. I'm not going to pretend that I'm not dissapointed that we didn't draft our future #1C. Reilly is a good pickup, Finn was a steal. Overall, the draft was a good one for the Leafs even though none of these guys will be on the team next year.

5) fix goaltending: Gr. C. Certainly not a failing grade. Something should be done with our goaltending situation, but based on asking prices that have been rumoured, I'm satisfied that we haven't done anything. It will be scary going into next year with a tandem of Reimer and Scrivens... I think they both have good potential, but neither is ready for a full-time role. For the record, I think if Reimer can focus on rebound control big-time this summer, he will by season's end become a pretty good goalie who can steal some wins.

There were some other good moves made: resigning Frattin and Kuly. I'd love to see a third line with Kadri in the middle next year. Armstrong bought out - it's unfortunate, but his time here has been crippled with injuries

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote