HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why not sign Semin ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 02:21 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

vCash: 500
Why not sign Semin ?

Simple question.. He has more talent then Booth or Kesler.

His stock is low right now. Now is the time to buy. I can just see Detroit stealing him one of these days....

Both Alexander Semin and Zach Parise will be 28-year-old wingers entering their eighth NHL season this fall.

One of them will be bringing with him a 197-to-194 edge in goals scored (despite taking 300 fewer shots and seeing less ice time), the chance to register a seventh consecutive 20-goal campaign, and the knowledge that there’s a better chance of his team scoring than getting scored upon when he steps on the ice (plus-67 to plus-57).

The other one will be waving a $98 million contract with Minnesota Wild letterhead.

While the NHL’s buyers bid to the sky to acquire Parise, the Wild eventually committing to the Minnesota native for 13 years, his near twin (statistically speaking) has coasted around on the unrestricted free agent market for more than three weeks because he reportedly believes he deserves a multi-year commitment. Not 13 years, mind you, but an offer for more than one would be nice.

Semin rumours are tough to come by.
No daily reports that he’s touring Philadelphia or his agent is chatting with Vancouver. Media outlets, Sportsnet.ca included, have been consumed with the latest on Roberto Luongo or the tiniest tidbit on likable UFA Shane Doan, a rare leader but a winger who’s most productive years have passed. Even when Alexander Semin misses a quarter of the season, as he did in 2008-09, he can put more pucks in the net (34) than a healthy Doan, who needed all 82 games to score a career-best 31 goals that season.

Here’s an in-his-prime forward with a game-changing shot on an open market filled with money-to-spend teams that missed the boat on the off-season’s other big free agents – Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, New Jersey Devils – and yet no team appears all too eager to add a young man capable of scoring every other game.

Why in the name of Ty Conklin is this guy still unsigned?

“I don’t really know, to be honest with you,” says Semin’s former teammate, Washington Capitals forward Joel Ward. “Alex and I got along great. Everyone has a bad perception of him for some odd reason, but he’s a hell of a player.”

The knock on Semin is that he’s far from a p.r. dream. And although he’s capable of inspired play, he’s not always inspired. In his past 30 playoff contests, when defences are at their stingiest, he’s scored seven goals and set up five others. He’s also led the Caps in minor penalties – an easy if imperfect way to quantify laziness or poor positional play – in each of the last three seasons, committing 88 over that span. And there’s a vague threat, as with so many Russian stars, that he if he grows disgruntled – or is tempted by a dollar signs – Semin could take his NHL talents to back to his native land, as he did in 2005-06, taking his sweet time returning stateside after fulfilling his military duty in 2004-05.

Last year Semin made $6.7 million on a one-year deal with Washington. Word is he wants something more permanent. And in a climate where a forward like Jiri Hudler gets a four-year, $16 million deal and Parise nears nine figures, surely there’s some middle ground to be dug for Semin.

A two-year, $10 million deal could be a shrewd investment for the GM with a gambling bone.

Washington GM George McPhee hasn’t ruled out re-signing the team’s second-most-famous Russian Alex, but says he’s “not necessarily” surprised that no one else has gobbled him up either.

We’re talking about a top-six talent who was regulated to third-line minutes once Dale Hunter took over coaching duties for Bruce Boudreau.

"We would look at Semin on a short-term basis," Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford said earlier this month. "We wouldn't want to get locked in to anything because we've all heard the stories about him. We do like his skill level. It could be that we could bring him in for a year, get to know him and go from there in terms of considering something long-term."

The stories, however, appear more wide spread than deep.

Last summer, former teammate Matt Bradley stated last that Semin “could easily be the best player in the league and, just for whatever reason, just doesn’t care.”

But former Capitals coach Hunter, as reputable a hockey man as there is, had nothing but praise for Semin’s approach to Hunter’s protect-first system.

“Since I was there, he bought into what I was trying to preach,” Hunter told the National Post earlier this month. “We even had him blocking shots. I had no problem there whatsoever.”

And yet, in NHL circles, Semin has been strapped with a bad rep, despite the lack of overwhelming evidence that he doesn’t deserve a shot. Picture him with the green light on a high-paced offensive team like, say, Pittsburgh or Vancouver or Ottawa, and another 40-goal campaign is plausible.

Don’t believe those dusty Sprite ads: image is everything. It’s why 16 clubs want Doan and Semin is having as tough of a time booking meetings as Dominik Hasek.

“The poison is out and I can’t take it back,” Semin’s agent, Mark Gandler, told the Post.

Fear not the poison, NHL spenders. Signing Semin into his early-30s is no more of a gamble than getting into a bidding war for a past-his-prime leader (Doan) or inking a fragile super-superstar for 12 years (Crosby). For a modest commitment, one lucky club could well be stealing one of the best talents of his generation when his stock is lowest.

“I think the media tore him up a little bit and that resulted in the circumstances, but he’ll be fine,” Ward says. “He’s a big boy.”

With an even bigger shot.

Last edited by LolClarkson*: 07-25-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old
07-25-2012, 02:23 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

How much? How long?

Seems like the Doan thingy might be affecting him.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:23 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Because he's a heartless ***** who wouldn't help this team. We need fewer heartless players, not more of them.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:24 AM
ubiquitous
*shink*

Semin will sign with a team after Doan signs, not before.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I want players that want to win and have a good attitude first and foremost. Will beats skill in this NHL.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:28 AM
BrandonL

I would disagree that his stock is low right now.

He's one of the top two forwards available in free agency and will likely command at least 5.5 million per over a few years.

Personally, I'd rather have him over Doan if both are asking for similar contracts.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:30 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
How much? How long?

Seems like the Doan thingy might be affecting him.
We have enough Doan in Higgins and Booth. We need more raw skill.

I dunno how long.. Maybe Hemsky money and term ? 4-5 million, 2-3 years. Nobody is even talking about this guy.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:33 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
We have enough Doan in Higgins and Booth. We need more raw skill.

I dunno how long.. Maybe Hemsky money and term ? 4-5 million, 2-3 years. Nobody is even talking about this guy.
Obviously there are some issues, but his skillset is ridiculous.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:33 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Because he's a heartless ***** who wouldn't help this team. We need fewer heartless players, not more of them.
We can afford some "heartless" skill. We have enough droolers.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Win One Before I Die

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
I bet he signs in the KHL.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:36 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I want players that want to win and have a good attitude first and foremost. Will beats skill in this NHL.
You are proving my point for me. I think he had more goals then Parise yet everyone is down on him.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:36 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
We can afford some "heartless" skill. We have enough droolers.
Disagree, we lacked heart this past year and our team is mentally weak enough as it is. Adding a guy who quits on his team half the time isn't the answer.

07-25-2012, 02:38 AM
DJOpus

I'd rather have Doan than Semin but I'd rather have both then either and I'd rather have either than neither.

Moving Luongo + Ballard or Luongo + Raymond + Malholtra (plus the $3M we have left) would likely be enough room to sign both Doan and Semin if they were both actually willing to come here.

Doan adds the heart, Semin adds a guy that can actually raise the puck while shooting.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan (Sedins need grit on their line that will keep opponents honest)
Burrows - Kesler - Semin (Semin needs heart and soul guys on his line)

Last edited by DJOpus: 07-25-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old
07-25-2012, 02:40 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Doan wants to win or wants to live in the desert 1st and foremost?

Old
07-25-2012, 02:40 AM
digger18

Quote:
Amen to that

Old
07-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Doan wants to win or wants to live in the desert 1st and foremost?
How is that relevant? Pretty clear Doan wants to stay with the only franchise he's ever known.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:46 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
How is that relevant? Pretty clear Doan wants to stay with the only franchise he's ever known.
And what's he done to win? Look, I love the guy. But what exactly in Doans' career says success? I think he's shown he'd rather stick with a loser and be where he wants to be. I do not have an issue with sticking with your team, in fact, it's pretty admirable. I just don't get how anyone thinks Doan wants to win but Semin doesn't care. Can you enlighten me on the difference? After you or someone else posts some stats, tell me those stats show me Kesler wants to win.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Jrtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I'd rather have Doan than Semin but I'd rather have both then either and I'd rather have either than neither.

Moving Luongo + Ballard or Luongo + Raymond + Malholtra (plus the $3M we have left) would likely be enough room to sign both Doan and Semin if they were both actually willing to come here.

Doan adds the heart, Semin adds a guy that can actually raise the puck while shooting.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan (Sedins need grit on their line that will keep opponents honest)
Burrows - Kesler - Semin (Semin needs heart and soul guys on his line)
Nicely put.

Old
07-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Auger

Thank you for bringing this up. Semin is the best free agent available right now, and Gillis would be crazy not to go after him (and I'm sure he is). As far as people complaining about our lack of heart, we can stock up on heart in the bottom six, our team needs actual skill right now... look at our forwards, outside of the Sedins there is no offensive creativity to speak of. Doan is great and all, but he's 35 and isn't worth 6mil

Old
07-25-2012, 02:56 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
And what's he done to win? Look, I love the guy. But what exactly in Doans' career says success? I think he's shown he'd rather stick with a loser and be where he wants to be. I do not have an issue with sticking with your team, in fact, it's pretty admirable. I just don't get how anyone thinks Doan wants to win but Semin doesn't care. Can you enlighten me on the difference? After you or someone else posts some stats, tell me those stats show me Kesler wants to win.
Stats are good indicator for a lot of things. There is no stat for effort. When there is, I'll tell you first.

But Semin has a reputation and it's pretty apparent in many games that he's not going to bring it every night. Ask Matt Bradley how highly he thinks of Semin. Doan is an extremely loyal person and considering how far Phoenix made it last year, I can see why he'd want to stay in Phoenix.

When it comes right down to it, if I needed one more player to help me win a hockey game on any given night, I'm taking Doan over Semin every time.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:11 AM
Verviticus

here's a thing semin is: elite talent in every quantifiable way
here's a thing semin isnt: a guy that looks like he works hard

here's a thing that doan is: good defensive, decent offensive talent
here's a thing that doan is: a guy that looks like he works hard

in pretty much every single metric that directly leads to winning, semin is the better player. he scores more, he posseses more, he defends better

in pretty much every metric that doesn't directly lead to winning, doan is the better player: he hits more, he's canadian, he skates hard, he's dirty, he's more experienced, he fights more and he fights better

doan is the kind of player you sign if you want to have the appearance of building a winning team, semin is the kind of player you sign if you want to build a winning team.

PS: to be fair, doan has a history of being durable and semin doesn't. of course, we all know the story of ballard, hamhuis and mitchell (thanks CA) so i'm not sure it matters

Quote:
hmmm. can you please quantify this?

failing to do that (because you will) can you please qualify this?

Quote:
Ask Matt Bradley how highly he thinks of Semin.
Good Ol' Boy Tough Canadian Hard Workman Hockey Players are about the last people I would look for any insight into actual Good Hockey Players, though. Matt Bradley is the kind of hockey player that has hardwork canadian values so firmly lodged in his brain not even the immense head trauma he's taken over his career is going to lodge it loose. i wouldn't trust his evaluation of anything other than who punches the hardest

Quote:
I just don't get how anyone thinks Doan wants to win but Semin doesn't care.
uhhhhhhhh, semin doesn't speak english very well. dont you get it? bad english = doesnt want to win. also hes really talented and occasionally he struggles to score a natural hat trick - those games he's not trying. kinda like henrik and daniel sedin, y'know? remember those games where they were being frustrated by the other team's defence? they just didn't want to win.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

If we can move Ballard, Luongo and Malhotra's contract I'm all for signing both players.

If not I'd go with Doan first.

Old
07-25-2012, 05:34 AM
Kip96

Semin hasn't signed because he's looking for a lot of money

He made 6 mil last year and I bet he's looking for more. With the dumb UFA contracts out there he could get it too

Old
07-25-2012, 06:38 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Simple question.. He has more talent then Booth or Kesler.
Talent goes a long way, but it doesn't go all the way.

Old
07-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Hammer79

I'd rather get Doan on a short term deal, but if he goes elsewhere Semin should be considered as an option. The UFA crop was pretty weak this year, and he's one of the few decent players available to be signed.

Closed Thread