HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why not sign Semin ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 12:13 PM
arshonagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Okay so why bother discussing hockey if our opinions don't count on a message board?

But hey, I guess a hockey player like Matt Bradley doesn't have his opinion count either right? As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, because he's a tough hard working Canadian hockey player his opinion doesn't count.
What's Dlae Hunter then? Because he had absolutely no problem with Semin. But, hey, let's discount the hockey legend known for being a tough as nails competitor and trust Matt fening Bradley. Jeez...

Old
07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Wow.

But it seems like Gillis and co are more interested in Doan than Semin. Even if we ship Ballard out for a bag of doritos we still won't have enough cap space to fit Doan and Semin. Gillis will be forced to trade Luongo and take little salary back if we sign both players.
Realistically if Doan and Semin both send you a friend request, you make room for them at your birthday party.

David Booth and Keith Ballard are the easy targets, but I am not so sure Alex Burrows isn't the odd man out.

Even in a contract year, Burrows could be worth a small fortune to a team like Montreal. Doan's game is tailor-made for the Sedins too. Could swing a Burrows for Tinordi deal or something

Old
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
MadaCanuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Wow.

But it seems like Gillis and co are more interested in Doan than Semin. Even if we ship Ballard out for a bag of doritos we still won't have enough cap space to fit Doan and Semin. Gillis will be forced to trade Luongo and take little salary back if we sign both players.
If we ship out Ballard and Luongo for two bags of Doritos, a pack of Pringles and six pucks, we have the cap space to sign both.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:28 PM
CrazyJ

I wouldn't be upset about bringing Semin in.

Would offer:

4 year 25m without a NTC

or

2 year 12m with a NTC

Old
07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I know those are the common cliches in hockey, but you know what helps the team win more than anything else? Scoring more goals than the other team. And Semin does that better than any current Vancouver Canuck.
Semin has known to be not the greatest player in his own end, contrary to what some have said as soon as he hit free agency. If we were a team like Calgary, and we needed that extra boost to help in the scoring department to be a successful team and a playoff team, I'd be going nuts for Semin.

The fact of the matter comes down risk. Doan is a lower risk option, and I think his skill set meshes well with Vancouver's game, especially for that second line. Semin, if he were to sign here where do you put him? Certainly not on the Sedin line seeing as how some posters have described them as a downright train-wreck in their own zone at times...Semin isn't going to make that any better. Second line? Booth is a very honest, hard-working player, but he's not like Kesler is in terms of checking in his own zone. Do we expect Kesler to be doing grunt work and getting injured before the playoffs again? No.

It may seem like I am exagerating a bit, but it is something that needs to be taken into consideration. As much as I think Semin would be a breath of fresh air offensively, the guy has a fantastic shot...I think it's one of the best in the league. He can play the point on the powerplay...not sure how I feel about that from a defensive standpoint but he'd make that second unit much better. He'd be a diverse option offensively, which I think is good. That said, he's going to ask for a lot of money and a lot of years, that's the only reason he's still available. If he comes for the right price, I'd welcome him in Vancouver with open arms. However, caveat emptor.

Old
07-25-2012, 12:50 PM
keslerburrows

Gillis hasn't even drafted a Russian in his time let alone pick one up off the open market. He also shipped Shirokov out, one of our only Russian players in our system.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Wisp

Semin would look great in our top 6. I think the "lazy Russian" thing but I think he's a guy who would benefit from some strong leadership. Washington never had that. Not having any other Russians on the team I think is an obstacle to drawing him here, though. I don't think term or salary is a fit either.

I'm blown away the Wings aren't going gonzo for Semin. They need to get younger, plus they have the cap space to spend on him. Datsyuk is good leadership for him to play beside. Perfect fit to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. I don't understand why Todd Bertuzzi is salvageable for them but Semin isn't?

Old
07-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I'm blown away the Wings aren't going gonzo for Semin. Todd Bertuzzi is salvageable but Semin isn't?
Bert was willing to sign for little money (little risk for the Wings).

I doubt Semin would take a similiar contract.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:19 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
We have enough Doan in Higgins and Booth. We need more raw skill.

I dunno how long.. Maybe Hemsky money and term ? 4-5 million, 2-3 years. Nobody is even talking about this guy.
Semin had 1 more goal than Doan last year... and Doan in the playofs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Semin... Semin had 3 goals and 4 points in 14 games (Raymond esq.) Doan had 5 goals, 9 points in 16.

NHL is getting more grindy/clutch and grab again.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
here's a thing semin is: elite talent in every quantifiable way
here's a thing semin isnt: a guy that looks like he works hard

here's a thing that doan is: good defensive, decent offensive talent
here's a thing that doan is: a guy that looks like he works hard

in pretty much every single metric that directly leads to winning, semin is the better player. he scores more, he posseses more, he defends better

in pretty much every metric that doesn't directly lead to winning, doan is the better player: he hits more, he's canadian, he skates hard, he's dirty, he's more experienced, he fights more and he fights better

doan is the kind of player you sign if you want to have the appearance of building a winning team, semin is the kind of player you sign if you want to build a winning team.
Outstanding rhetoric. But true or not? You know, I would like to see it for myself. The Canucks are low on natural RWs and if we are thinking of Hemsky we should certainly be thinking of getting an even more skillful version who is a UFA.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:24 PM
deckercky

For all people criticize the Canucks for not being able to score in the playoffs, you'd think there'd be more support for one of the most offensively talented players available.

If Doan and Semin are both willing to sign an equivalent contract, you'd sign Doan first for 1-2 year deals, but 3-4 year deals should take Semin first. If available at a 3-4 year deal at a 5ish million cap hit, Semin is a no-brainer. I think he's almost a perfect player to compliment Booth and Kesler too.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Semin had 1 more goal than Doan last year... and Doan in the playofs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Semin... Semin had 3 goals and 4 points in 14 games (Raymond esq.) Doan had 5 goals, 9 points in 16.

NHL is getting more grindy/clutch and grab again.
Actually, other way around. Doan had 22, Semin 21.

Old
07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
mrbitterguy

i'm not anti semin. if doan goes somewhere else i'd be happy if the canucks could sign him to a decent (<6M) deal. i would have a very hard time believing that gillis would pay him more money than the sedins.

but getting to which player you'd rather have, it's doan in a landslide. doan is much harder to play against, he's a leader that inspires his teammates to work harder and pay the price for success. can anyone make that statement about semin with a straight face? has he ever been considered for a captaincy at any level? i don't know how you can watch the playoffs and think that semin would help a team more than doan in the post season. the canucks don't have nearly enough size, strength and angry determination in the top 6 to want to choose semin over doan.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
This team already posesses enuff cream puff hockey players. If we want to continue having great regular seasons, only to turn around and get manhandled by more physical teams in the playoffs, then we will keep rolling with players like Semin.
This is an argument I was just having the other night with a Leafs fan at the pub. He used a slur I prefer not to repeat instead of 'cream puff hockey players', mind you. And I contest that you're both wrong.

Assuming we were to sign Semin (which I don't think we will, but would like at a reasonable hit/length if we did), our skating roster would look something like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Semin
Higgins - Lappy - Kassian/Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian/Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

I have identified the "cream puff hockey players" in bold. All but Raymond are right where they're supposed to be, in the top-6, producing points, and I would contest that there is nothing creamy or puffy about the Sedins or Semin, its just that they take hits like grown-ass men rather than dishing them out as often. And Raymond makes up for his slight cream-puffery by being an excellent defender. I'll bet that if you went up and down rosters in the NHL, you'd find more non-physical players on almost every other squad. I'm not saying we couldn't be tougher, but this is not a soft hockey team.

Vigneault had the Canucks on a strict no-engagement-post-whistle policy in 2011. It was his vain hope that penalties would be called in the 2011 playoffs (particularly the finals). But the Canucks were not soft between the whistles by any stretch of the imagination through those playoffs. And we didn't get beaten by Los Angeles because they were too tough for us to deal with.

I think the madness needs to stop concerning this image of the team.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
^^^^ i agree with everything you say but if you dont want to derail the topic with a page of idiots correcting a completely meaningless mistake you should bold tanev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Semin has known to be not the greatest player in his own end, contrary to what some have said as soon as he hit free agency.
he isn't though. contrary to what really bad hockey thinkers may "know", he's not and has never been bad in his own end.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
doan is much harder to play against, he's a leader that inspires his teammates to work harder and pay the price for success. can anyone make that statement about semin with a straight face?
no but i can make a face when you make that statement at "face" value

the face is laughter. its my laughing face and it looks kinda like

Old
07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Smokey McCanucks

Depends on the contract, but I think he can be effective on this team. He really left it all out there in the playoffs this season, trying to prove his critics wrong. Didn't work too well in the end but I was impressed. It's been a long time since we had a Russian on the Canucks, it's typically worked well in the past (Bure, Mogilny, but not Krutov). And having him on a line with the Sedins would really confuse the announcers!

Old
07-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Simple question.. He has more talent then Booth or Kesler.
For the same reason the only Canuck ever to make the HoF hasn't had his jersey retired.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Smokey McCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
This is an argument I was just having the other night with a Leafs fan at the pub. He used a slur I prefer not to repeat instead of 'cream puff hockey players', mind you. And I contest that you're both wrong.
I hope you hit the guy, talking down our roster, the Leafs have the [w]ussiest roster in the league these days. Unless Grabovski decides to stick you in the face you've got nothing to worry about messing with those guys. How can anyone say the Sedins are "cream puff" or equivalent after seeing Henrik get trucked by Brown like that and come back in the same game? Nobody can tell me that wasn't the same as Torres/Hossa: euro scorer dumps the puck off, turns and gets clocked up high by one of the hardest hitters in the game, difference: Hossa's still out! And Daniel try to come back after the Keith hit? C'mon, those guys are warriors, they take more abuse than anyone in the league and get less respect for it. Raymond broke his freakin back, did they send out the stretcher and med team for him? Of course not, only Chicago and Boston get the special treatment, he had to hobble off himself with his teammates holding him up. Warriors!

Old
07-25-2012, 03:44 PM
lush
@jasonlush

To be honest I'm just surprised that it's taken 25 days (and still counting) to sign Semin. Doan I can understand, he's older, he's trying to work things out with the uncertainty in Phoenix but I figured Semin would have signed with a number of different teams right now ie: Detroit

Old
07-25-2012, 03:45 PM
vector209

Quote:
Raymond broke his freakin back, did they send out the stretcher and med team for him? Of course not, only Chicago and Boston get the special treatment, he had to hobble off himself with his teammates holding him up. Warriors!
Pure stupidity on the Canucks medical team's behalf. They should've kept him down on the ice and put him on a stretcher. Sometimes, I wonder if they're as competent as they appear. Walking off on your own will power while you have a broken back doesn't make you a warrior, it just makes you stupid.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I'd rather have Doan than Semin but I'd rather have both then either and I'd rather have either than neither.

Moving Luongo + Ballard or Luongo + Raymond + Malholtra (plus the $3M we have left) would likely be enough room to sign both Doan and Semin if they were both actually willing to come here.

Doan adds the heart, Semin adds a guy that can actually raise the puck while shooting.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan (Sedins need grit on their line that will keep opponents honest)
Burrows - Kesler - Semin (Semin needs heart and soul guys on his line)
Just for fun and I emphasize this is total fantasy. Imagine something like...

Sedin - Sedin - Doan
Burrows - Kesler - Semin
Booth - Bolland - Higgins
Volpatti - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieska
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Lack

Now that would just be disgusting.

Old
07-25-2012, 03:49 PM
NYVanfan

2011-12 playoffs: 14 gp, 4 pts, -4. Played over 75% of ES minutes with Backstrom.

Put me down as an anti-Seminite

Old
07-25-2012, 03:55 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Just for fun and I emphasize this is total fantasy. Imagine something like...

Sedin - Sedin - Doan
Burrows - Kesler - Semin
Booth - Bolland - Higgins
Volpatti - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieska
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Lack

Now that would just be disgusting.
over the cap by $3.5M ....would have to replace Ballard with an entry-level guy
like so

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexander Semin ($6.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Sean O'Donnell ($0.950m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,185,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $15,000

i might do it this way, with a 3rd line to give the whole league an aneurysm

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexander Semin ($6.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Sean O'Donnell ($0.950m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,185,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $15,000

still dont like Semin though

Old
07-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Derp Kassian

He'd b lethal with the Sedins, and with there ozone starts who cares about his 2way play? He's actually less lazy then the Twins.

Closed Thread