HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Staios joins Leafs front office

Old
07-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

vCash: 500
I was just thinking the other day how we don't have enough management staff.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:47 PM
The CyNick

I will make a comment as though I have any insight into what Staios will be like in the front office.

He one time blocked a shot, therefore that makes him the type of guy you want to scout your future stars. Smart addition.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Northern Dancer

Definition of a cynic. "one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Frankie

burke must feel he owes staios for something. creating a useless, meaningless position for him an giving him likely $75-100 grand a year. not a bad gig.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
burke must feel he owes staios for something. creating a useless, meaningless position for him an giving him likely $75-100 grand a year. not a bad gig.
They're grooming him to be the next Marlies head coach, after Eakins moves on.

What kind of terrible organization creates a succession management strategy!

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
They're grooming him to be the next Marlies head coach, after Eakins moves on.

What kind of terrible organization creates a succession management strategy!
so why isn't he an assistant coach with the marlies?

or, if they wanted to "groom" someone to coach the marlies, why not find an actual coach?

Old
07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
so why isn't he an assistant coach with the marlies?

or, if they wanted to "groom" someone to coach the marlies, why not find an actual coach?
Eakins began his time with the Maple Leafs in various roles including as Director of Player Development. Perhaps they believe a coach should know how all aspects of the organization runs in order to give him a greater depth of knowledge.

But clearly they don't know what they're doing. Eakins is terrible. Staios is nepotism. Burke is a terrible GM by virtue of the being associated with the Maple Leafs.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Eakins began his time with the Maple Leafs in various roles including as Director of Player Development. Perhaps they believe a coach should know how all aspects of the organization runs in order to give him a greater depth of knowledge.

But clearly they don't know what they're doing. Eakins is terrible. Staios is nepotism. Burke is a terrible GM by virtue of the being associated with the Maple Leafs.
Its Frankie, don't get sucked in.

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Frankie

Quote:

so, you can't answer my questions.

but maybe you're right. no other team does what you're describing, but maybe burke is miles ahead of the competition by virtue of being associated with the leafs.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
The CyNick

Definition of "Norther Dancer" one who dances in the north.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Stephen

Quote:

This might come across as cynical, even though I don't feel too strongly about Staios at all, but I don't really see the point in slowly grooming a minor league coach from scratch, if that is their ultimate goal. It's funny you mention Eakins. The years of development they put into Dallas Eakins as a coach is likely going to go to waste: when the Leafs needed a coaching change, they simply signed a fat cheque and brought in a 'celebrity' big league coach. So in all likelihood, they're just going to spend a bit of change developing a coach for someone else. What's the point?

Also, don't we have Jim Hughes, the soft spoken gentleman with the great head of hair working as the director of player development? Why do we really need another guy to do the same job?

If the farm system was just spitting out gem prospects every year, maybe I'd be a bit more appreciative, but it just looks like a lot of busy work.

Again, I don't actually feel too strongly about it, I just don't see what's being accomplished.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Vexxed14

Its a sad day when people criticize something like this when they have no idea how the internals of a hockey organization are actually ran

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:29 PM
javier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Its a sad day when people criticize something like this when they have no idea how the internals of a hockey organization are actually ran
Its more like every day. I've come to realize that complaining is what some people love to do. Its what makes them happy I guess.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Predaleafs

Quote:
so, you can't answer my questions.

but maybe you're right. no other team does what you're describing, but maybe burke is miles ahead of the competition by virtue of being associated with the leafs.
They want Staios to understand the whole thing of how the operations work before. Eakins is brought in on who should be called up next, even asked about the draft and allowed to sit in. Eakins understands the aspects not just of being a coach but also of being a gm and everything that is needed. That is why he was hired, if they do want him to coach some day, this makes sense.

If you get a job at a movie thearter you dont just work cleaning then straight to management, you must learn everything. Its the exact same thing here

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 03:48 AM
RaskY
Blues bandwagon

vCash: 50
For those saying it can't hurt...Well, sure it can. He can do an awful job in advising or whatever it is that he's doing.

But seriously, I'm sure he'll do fine.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I swear to god...ulmer looks like a serial psychopath.

07-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Man Bear Pig

I can see it about 6 months from now around here...Staios has to go! why isn't he training with Roberts? Burke is such an idiot! Rabble! rabble rabble!

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I can see it about 6 months from now around here...Staios has to go! why isn't he training with Roberts? Burke is such an idiot! Rabble! rabble rabble!
Really? Because I foresee in a month people forgetting that Staios even works for the Leafs because player development personnel aren't really in the public.

07-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Really? Because I foresee in a month people forgetting that Staios even works for the Leafs because player development personnel aren't really in the public.
Then I'll bump this thread myself and "complain" just to prove it.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:01 AM
theTTC

Looks like a quality addition, grew up in the Ontario hockey scene, close to players age so he can relate. We all change careers and grow up in the work world. Sometimes you can just tell who is meant for management grooming, obviously Brian sees this in Steve.

Please don't mention this is a waste of money, his salary is probably 5% of Brian's.

theTTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTTC View Post
Looks like a quality addition, grew up in the Ontario hockey scene, close to players age so he can relate. We all change careers and grow up in the work world. Sometimes you can just tell who is meant for management grooming, obviously Brian sees this in Steve.

Please don't mention this is a waste of money, his salary is probably 5% of Brian's.
I believe I read yesterday that Burke said something along the lines of Steve making a career on effort and doing his best every game and those are the guys that make the best coaches and management so Burke agrees with you on this one.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
is it equally sad when people praise something like this? when they have no idea how the internals of a hockey organization are actually run?

i'd guess staios went hard after this gig. he probably called and emailed burke and nonis non-stop looking for something like this. its all about who you know in life, and particularly in the hockey world. good on staios for going after it and getting it.

Old
07-26-2012, 07:39 AM
SprDaVE

Hires like this are made annually by the 30 teams around the league.

I think only Toronto has the fan base to twist this into something so negative.

It's really mind blowing reading some comments about this. Absolutely a mind ****.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
This might come across as cynical, even though I don't feel too strongly about Staios at all, but I don't really see the point in slowly grooming a minor league coach from scratch, if that is their ultimate goal. It's funny you mention Eakins. The years of development they put into Dallas Eakins as a coach is likely going to go to waste: when the Leafs needed a coaching change, they simply signed a fat cheque and brought in a 'celebrity' big league coach. So in all likelihood, they're just going to spend a bit of change developing a coach for someone else. What's the point?

Also, don't we have Jim Hughes, the soft spoken gentleman with the great head of hair working as the director of player development? Why do we really need another guy to do the same job?

If the farm system was just spitting out gem prospects every year, maybe I'd be a bit more appreciative, but it just looks like a lot of busy work.

Again, I don't actually feel too strongly about it, I just don't see what's being accomplished.
Agree. The question becomes whether any of these people are competent and will they build the leafs into a winner. So far the verdict is not good. Also, Burke is excellent at make work projects for his friends.

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
MintoMadDogsKiller18*
Go Leafs Go!

Best part of career spent in Edmonton. Helped Oilers to final. Solid player.

MintoMadDogsKiller18* is offline   Reply With Quote